Author Topic: Pre-emptive mods ? (ERGODOX)  (Read 1338 times)

Offline des_illacom

Pre-emptive mods ? (ERGODOX)
« on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:24:08 »
Salutations!

I'm eager to join the club of "hackallthekeyboard"... To get started I eagerly awaited MassDrop(MD) ergodox GB, and now I'm clearing space on my desk for when it finally arrives. I'm sure like most people who purchased an ergodox(ED) and waited for parts to arrive, I am spending many hours day dreaming of how it will look and what I should get for it. So I mustered some courage to ask the folks who already own one to see what you guys think I need to order before my ED kit lands on my desk...
1.I am not a very efficient typist(yet) so one thing I will need is legends on my keycaps(blanks come with my kit), MD is running a GB for a set of 'Clears', but those are blank as well. I eventually would like to have "back-lit" keys, so 'clears' seemed like a good look, maybe with black legends? I contacted S.Plastics for a quote and their reply was, $350 for one set   :eek: , so if anyone has backlit keys on their ED, i would love to know how it was done  and what keycaps yo used.
2.Looking at the ED related threads it is obvious that proper wrist-support is needed for prolonged use of ED. Those custom wood rests that were made for GH donations, look AMAZING, and I also LOVE Noko's custom leather rests. My question is , are those rests available for order?
3.I plan to carry my ED to and from work, And I needed it to be durable /adjustable and steady. I found that some have used Kinesis Freestyle V3 Accessory Kit to be able to adjust the slant on ED, it also seems that rubber feet are needed to keep ED from sliding and scratching up the table top. The cable included with the ED kit seems to be very short, I would love to get a longer cable, I wonder if there is a place that sells 2/3 feet long fabric sleeved cable for connecting Left & Right sides along with maybe a 6/8 foot for ED to PC connection. Are those still the best solutions for keeping ED stable and comfy? if there are some other options for slant/stabilize , I would love to hear about them.

P.S.
I wonder if anyone has tried setting up ED to work wirelessly, is that even possible? My regular workflow is Wacom and Keyboard , it would be super cool to be bale to move the ergodox and wacom to where ever is more comfortable without worrying about cable length...

suggestions & links are appreciated.
Thanks everybody