Author Topic: best lube for alps blue?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline keyboardcircle

best lube for alps blue?
« on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 22:11:37 »
hi,

what is best lube for alps blue?

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
Re: best lube for alps blue?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 09:39:47 »
You want to use a PTFE dry lube in Alps switches. (I've also successfully used krytox oil on the springs to eliminate ping, but many will call that heresy)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 17:03:22 »
I've tried them all, silicone grease is the best.

But don't lube Alps.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mode

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 04:30:16 »
Nothing I've tried has improved blue alps, once the parts are worn to the point of binding you're honked imo. I'm reviving my blue alps by using some orange sliders I have spare from a nexus build and that's much much more effective than any lube I tried.

I found the total opposite for salmon alps, some ptfe based wet lube massively improved those to the point of being absurdly buttery smooth, the slider material is quite obviously different, blue and orange alps just don't seem to benefit from lube.

You can test it by just applying some to the slider and rubbing it up against the outside of a housing, if the slider is hosed it'll bind and squeak and no amount of lube I've tried will stop it doing this.

Offline naz

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 19:41:25 »
I've tried them all, silicone grease is the best.

But don't lube Alps.

Hi, just saw your videos on Alps restoration. There you concluded the best lubes are:

- Silicon grease for greater overall performance, but the "feel" changes (I'm guessing you mean by this that the switch gets a bit heavier?).
- Tribosys or WS2 Powder for a more authentic feel. The latter having the advantage of being easier to apply.

Did the Silicon Grease grow on you over the last few months?? or are this 3 options still equally good?? (I was planning on getting WS2 Powder, but if the Silicon Grease is better…).

Regards