Author Topic: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3, Optical Illusion | Vendors, Samples, Timeline Added!  (Read 8845 times)

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
The Deep Deskmat R3

Groupbuy December 1-31, 2022
GB Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119001.0

Hello everyone! I am cat-from-onomichi and I am promoting this interest check for a third round for the Deep Deskmat. I have been passively gathering interest check entries from discord and from instagram, now posting here for you all :)

Seeing as how R1 was the base form and R2 added gradients and new colors, I am exploring new changes that people want to see for this project. This can be in the form of new layout, new colors, or adding new elements to the visual illusion! I'd love to hear what are people's suggestions :)

Notable Changes:
- Updated the line thickness to be varied to emphasize the illusion
- Lowered the visibility of the gradients to be very light instead of it being obvious
- Trying new colors incase!

Story: When I just started in this hobby, I barely had enough space on my desk for more than one keyboard more so a 900x400mm deskmat. I kept running out of space for other things, I thought wouldn't it be funny if you could make your desk expand downward making it deeper? Thus I made this Deep deskmat design for fun and ran an IC which was then received well by the community. I started this deskmat because I wanted it for my own desk and to "expand" it for more keyboards.

GB STARTING DATE: DECEMBER 1, 2022

Update (11/18/2022): Waiting for the samples to come in and some vendors to get back to me. I have confirmed a few and will be updating the list here as well :) I have also decided on the final colors for this round based on the feedback from the IC form. They will be Black (OG), White, Hackerman (R1 Rerun), and Green! Thank you again to all those who shared your thoughts with me.

New Round Colors: 3.0 Colors
R3 Renders: 3.0 Renders
Samples Album: Photos

Confirmed Vendors:
US: Vala Supply
CA: DeskHero
AUS: SwitchKeys
SEA/PH: Zion Studios
SEA/SG: iLumkb
UK: ProtoTypist
EU: KeyGem
SK: Monstargear
JP: Basekeys

Timeline:
Group Buy: December 1-31, 2022

Colors:

Samples:

Interest Check Form

Previous IC: 
(Round 1): R1 IC
(Round 2): R2 IC

Potential R3 Colors:
More
[/b]

*Note: If you want to recommend a color, use the Other choice in the form! :)

Here is an album of R2 designs: R2 Colors
Renders of deskmat with a board: Old Renders

R2 Colors:
More

Disclaimer: This is to see if there is enough interest for a third round and not a guarantee that a group buy will follow. Thank you for showing your interest in this project :) I will be updating this IC with updates from the IC form and possible changes to the design or colors for this project as well!

If there is enough interest and I can gather vendors as well, I will be waiting for approved samples before proceeding with the group buy to share ahead of time! This is to make sure peope are also approving of the production samples.

Update (Sep 5, 2022): Vala Supply is showing interest to be the US vendor and this week I will be ordering samples from Zion Studios to take photos before any GB can happen! Will do my best and thank you for showing interest :)

New Round Renders: 3.0 Album

Reach me here!

Instagram / Discord
Thank you for visiting this interest check c:
[/size]
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 December 2022, 17:50:37 by catfromonomichi »

Offline JP911

Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 09:11:57 »
I dig the blue. Any chance youd do a dark green one?

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 09:21:24 »
I dig the blue. Any chance youd do a dark green one?

Navy did quite well! I was able to render a dark green / light green before:

Offline JustMilica

• A weeb
Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3 | Optical Illusion Mat
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 19:43:45 »
Good luck with R3! Typing this from my lavender deskmat from R2 and loving it :)

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 20:29:06 »
Good luck with R3! Typing this from my lavender deskmat from R2 and loving it :)

Thank you for the support!! I really enjoy the lavender deskmat as well :)

Offline ultracomputer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 21:39:20 »
Please bring back hackermann!

Offline nonuser

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 23:46:05 »
 :eek: :eek: :eek: WOAH!!! This mat design is so trippy and cool, its like an optical illusion!! I'd be scared to put my keyboard down, I might lose it forever LMAOO  :)) :)) :)) (you get it because the design makes it look like a deep endless box and if i put my keyboard there it will give off the optical illusion of my board falling into my desk)

Offline Riizmaa

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 23:59:39 »
can you add hangul sub legends plz!  ;)

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 August 2022, 02:42:45 »
Please bring back hackermann!

Actually I was thinking of doing this as well! Many asked for hackerman in R2 and I could not accommodate but maybe if there is an R3 we can do hackerman again :)

Offline mariajose1197

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 08:54:25 »
I need this on my desk, I like the Navy color, dark green feels soooooo gooooooooood too, light green is cute.

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 August 2022, 10:57:53 »
I need this on my desk, I like the Navy color, dark green feels soooooo gooooooooood too, light green is cute.

I was also considering going for the dark green this round, although depending on the votes for the colors I might also bring back the navy if there is enough interest for that!

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 17:52:05 »
just missed them on Mekibo, happy to see a possible r3. would love this for work

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 20:55:58 »
Any chance of a rough texture deskmat for this round?

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 21:51:36 »
just missed them on Mekibo, happy to see a possible r3. would love this for work

I've talked with Vala Supply and they want to handle the GB for the US so we have them confirmed already! I will most likely have Zion Studios handle the rest too

I'm not sure what you mean, do you happen to know of an existing rough deskmat? :) I'm curious what this would be like if ever

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 18:12:37 »

I've talked with Vala Supply and they want to handle the GB for the US so we have them confirmed already! I will most likely have Zion Studios handle the rest too

I'm not sure what you mean, do you happen to know of an existing rough deskmat? :) I'm curious what this would be like if ever

I have an acoustic deskmat from Hand Engineering and a GAF deskmat that are both in a rough texture and I really enjoy how they feel. Hopefully you consider running one of the mats in a rough version.

Offline phil2win

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 15:04:17 »

Busy Town deskmat that ran recently had the option for smooth vs. rough, but not shipped yet.

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 04:02:32 »

I have an acoustic deskmat from Hand Engineering and a GAF deskmat that are both in a rough texture and I really enjoy how they feel. Hopefully you consider running one of the mats in a rough version.

Busy Town deskmat that ran recently had the option for smooth vs. rough, but not shipped yet.

I'll be partnering with Zion for the R3 deskmats and I'll inquire if smooth & rough deskmats are options for manufacturing! Will look into this :)

Offline adi518

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 05:11:24 »
A black one would be nice.

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 11:30:37 »
A black one would be nice.

The black version will be for sure included!

Offline NintendoNoNo

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 13:00:46 »
Loved this design ever since the original. In the future, would you consider having an option for a black mat with red lines?

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 19:41:28 »
Loved this design ever since the original. In the future, would you consider having an option for a black mat with red lines?

I've never thought of red lines for black before although I am not opposed to it. At the current stage, there have been requests for the hackerman color (green on black) to make a comeback and that might be the competition for any other color on black version, I'll update the IC form to check for the final color on black version as well :)

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 14:59:27 »
I'll be partnering with Zion for the R3 deskmats and I'll inquire if smooth & rough deskmats are options for manufacturing! Will look into this :)

i have also been curious about these textured mats that keep popping up. if we can get a textured version i think i'll be in for 2!

Offline Hentoys

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 00:42:28 »
Always wanted one and now it looks like I can nab one!

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 21:21:15 »
Just to update everyone with the status of this IC! Zion already has my samples for the R3 but they are moving locations so there is a slight delay with getting them to me. As I mentioned before, I will be sharing photos of the samples before we start any GBs just to be transparent. I also noticed a very similar design being promoted on Reddit as the one I have (including colors and all), but they are completely separate from me and not my work :( anyway, thanks for waiting with me for this R3! I'll keep this thread updated too

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3, Optical Illusion Mat | Vendors Update
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 November 2022, 00:08:29 »
Chosen colors + final vendors have been added to the main post! :) Hopefully I can update this thread with the final GB dates and photos of the samples.

Offline catfromonomichi

• cat-from-onomichi
Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3, Optical Illusion Mat | Vendors Update
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 November 2022, 19:00:09 »
New update is up! Group buy dates are added as well as photos of samples :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Offline alper_maestro

Re: [IC] Deep Deskmat R3, Optical Illusion | Vendors, Samples, Timeline Added!
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 December 2022, 07:37:01 »
Time to get one