Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3508390 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2200 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:42:13 »
Use WIDTH and/or HEIGHT size tags with the IMG tag.

Thanks! It wasn't a button I can just click so I never knew about this tag. Anymore cool hidden forum features like this?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2201 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:44:05 »
I just took delivery of a TKL MJ2 Filco w/ Browns an hour ago and while I like it, I don't LOVE it as much as I thought I was going to.

I'm used to typing on a Razer Tarantula and the keystroke travel was almost non existent after the activation point.

Would adding o-rings help minimize the post activation travel and the 'bottoming out' sound?

If so, which o-rings should I try? What's the best place to get them? I see WASD has them for $17.99, but that seems kind of pricey for what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Yes O-rings will help in your troubles.  I have the red ones but removed them because i didn't like the feel.  And i tried them for a few months or so.  But I didn't get them until after having my Das keyboard with browns for a couple years.  PM me and we can work something out.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2202 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:13:28 »

Show Image

Thanks! It wasn't a button I can just click so I never knew about this tag. Anymore cool hidden forum features like this?

Anytime I'm curious, I just hit quote on peoples posts and see how the tags look. Then I play around with them in preview.

Offline hypercrush

« Reply #2203 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:34:35 »
I just took delivery of a TKL MJ2 Filco w/ Browns an hour ago and while I like it, I don't LOVE it as much as I thought I was going to.

I'm used to typing on a Razer Tarantula and the keystroke travel was almost non existent after the activation point.

Would adding o-rings help minimize the post activation travel and the 'bottoming out' sound?

If so, which o-rings should I try? What's the best place to get them? I see WASD has them for $17.99, but that seems kind of pricey for what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Yes O-rings will help in your troubles.  I have the red ones but removed them because i didn't like the feel.  And i tried them for a few months or so.  But I didn't get them until after having my Das keyboard with browns for a couple years.  PM me and we can work something out.

Melvang

Thanks for the offer.

I'm just unsure if I'd benefit more from the blue o-rings to take up a little bit of the post activation travel.

Anyone input would be appreciated.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2204 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:40:06 »
If you check the Wiki in my signature, you can check out my review on o-rings.

Offline hypercrush

« Reply #2205 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 17:47:01 »
If you check the Wiki in my signature, you can check out my review on o-rings.

Thanks for that.

I'm still kind of torn though. The long post actuation travel is probably my biggest issue, so do you think I'd be better served by the blue o-rings?

I know you said it felt like the post travel stopped right after activation with the red o-rings, but you were using blue mx's, right? I'm guessing the effect would be different with my brown mx's.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 17:54:04 by hypercrush »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2206 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 18:34:01 »
I know you said it felt like the post travel stopped right after activation with the red o-rings, but you were using blue mx's, right? I'm guessing the effect would be different with my brown mx's.

Yes I used MX Blues. And to me, all MX switches have the same actuation point so the effect should be the same across the board.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2207 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 20:28:19 »

Thanks dude, I used this for my classified add.  ^-^

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2208 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 20:49:36 »

Yes I used MX Blues. And to me, all MX switches have the same actuation point so the effect should be the same across the board.

I can confirm this according to Cherry Corps stat sheets for all their MX switches they are right at 4mm total travel with actuation point at 2mm of travel.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2209 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 13:28:56 »
I'm tired of the oddly spaced stabilizers on my FC700R's spacebar (I have to use the stock spacebar or putty mod each spacebar I want to use on the FC700R).

If I swap in a TKL plate from the Phantom buy/WFD, will I be able to use normal 6.25x spacebars from say SP?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2210 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 14:07:07 »
Phantom plate won't work with the Leopold case. The only placement you can get for your Leopold is my universal TKL plate, but I do not have anymore right now :( . I'll run a small round 2 though, because I know several people have been waiting for these for a while.

I think I posted this in your review thread. But here is a Leopold I built for someone a while ago. It has a hybrid mounting of the Costar and Cherry stabilizer. The cherry stabs is for the weird Leopold spacebar, the costar stabs was for the any normal 6.25x spacebar. You really only need one of these, but the guy wanted me to build it where he can change between his Leopold spacebar or any other spacebar with just a quick swap.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2211 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 14:44:41 »
So I know this is probably a 'stupid' question because everyone else knows, but is the only purpose of soldering all the diodes on a board like the phantom just for NKRO?

Could they be left out??

I'm so ignorant  :-X

It's more than that. It has to do with how a matrix generates the scan codes. Without the diodes, current could flow in both directions, which for some key presses would confuse the controller.

For example, without the diodes pressing 'a' and 'f' at the same tim might register a 'q'.

There's better explanations out on the net. I'd provide one, but I'm posting from my phone :-(

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2212 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 19:37:34 »
I've got one! (promise it's not a trick question)

Why is it that every time someone tries to describe how "solid" their mechanical keyboard is, they say it's "built like a tank, and you could kill someone with it".

I don't know how many times I've read that now, in nearly those exact words :rolleyes:  It should pretty much bet the mechanical keyboard motto at this point.  Like on Corsair's K90 ads and such.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2213 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 20:50:20 »
Anyone know the dimensions on the Phantom plate and PCB?  And if the PCB is offset from the plate or is it centered?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2214 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 20:57:22 »
I've got one! (promise it's not a trick question)

Why is it that every time someone tries to describe how "solid" their mechanical keyboard is, they say it's "built like a tank, and you could kill someone with it".

It's the cliche the community decided to use? Why is the cliche "smooth like butter" or "runs like a champ"?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2215 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 21:00:17 »
I see it on multiple boards, and it keeps on propagating :). Just thought it was funny.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2216 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 19:30:47 »
Can anyone give me their input on my dilemma?

I am wondering if I should get the Dolch ABS keycaps from originative or the thick PBT caps from the R2 GB. I know the differences between ABS and PBT however, I have tried neither as my first keyboard is in the mail. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2217 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 19:49:32 »

I am wondering if I should get the Dolch ABS keycaps from originative or the thick PBT caps from the R2 GB. I know the differences between ABS and PBT however, I have tried neither as my first keyboard is in the mail. Any help would be appreciated.

I LOVE thick, doubleshot ABS caps so I'll recommend those over the R2 GB caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2218 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 19:52:38 »

From originative 100%.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #2219 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:14:53 »
yaaa ABS>PBT

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2220 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:42:53 »

yaaa ABS>PBT

Enjoy your shiny caps :)

PS - Go with Thick PBT UniClown

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2221 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:46:03 »

yaaa ABS>PBT

But dolch ain't dolch unless it's gmk.
github

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #2222 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:51:58 »
yaaa ABS>PBT

Thick ABS
feels soooooo good :p

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2223 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:53:31 »

yaaa ABS>PBT

yaaa ABS>PBT

Thick ABS
feels soooooo good :p

I will admit that I want to buy a dolch set very badly, but I just can't do it. It'll be ugly to me within weeks :(

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #2224 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:01:09 »
I want Sherry's Dolch pretty bad...Boost just got a crazy DSA Dolch set from r4, and i think jd posted a link to a korean gb doing Dolch DSA
hopefully the korean gb is open to us GHers
i would be in

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2225 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:02:51 »
I will admit that I want to buy a dolch set very badly, but I just can't do it. It'll be ugly to me within weeks :(

There is an easy solution to that problem. Put those dolch on a keyboard you don't use and just look at them, or out them into a box and store them away. That's what I do with all my nice keycap sets.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2226 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:05:26 »
I want Sherry's Dolch pretty bad...Boost just got a crazy DSA Dolch set from r4, and i think jd posted a link to a korean gb doing Dolch DSA
i would be in
Yes, I had a chance to pick up the Dolch DSA but it was as expensive as Sherry's Dolch  :p

There is an easy solution to that problem. Put those dolch on a keyboard you don't use and just look at them, or put them into a box and store them away. That's what I do with all my nice keycap sets.

This is EXACTLY what I want to avoid lol

I put EVERYTHING into a box. It's the only way! No shine at all.

Rofl!!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:08:23 by Jocelyn »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2227 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:06:38 »
I put EVERYTHING into a box. It's the only way! No shine at all.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2228 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:11:55 »
Careful, keep that up and the KMAC might spend more time in a box :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2229 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:15:51 »
What is this R4 dolch magic?

I want dolch anything!

Who can give me an easy answer on the history of dolch?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #2230 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:17:16 »
i would be in
Yes, I had a chance to pick up the Dolch DSA but it was as expensive as Sherry's Dolch  :p

Sherrys dolch was 80 one day...then the next day i check it's 90...now i go to check and it's $95

/sigh
still will pick up a set when i get the money..cause it's so sexy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2231 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:41:10 »
i would be in

Sherrys dolch was 80 one day...then the next day i check it's 90...now i go to check and it's $95

/sigh
still will pick up a set when i get the money..cause it's so sexy

Its been 95 for a few weeks at least.

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #2232 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 05:56:37 »
Could you re-colour your korean customs? What would happen to value?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2233 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 06:01:09 »
Could you re-colour your korean customs? What would happen to value?
They are coloured by a process called anodisation. To put it simply it adds a protective layer that can be dyed a colour. You need to find a place that can remove the anodising and re-anodise it. Prices will vary.
github

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2234 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 06:34:13 »
I know I wasn't drinking but did I miss the fact this thread is not stickied??

Maybe my wife is right.....I'm losing it  ???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2235 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 06:49:26 »

I'm on my phone so I can't really check but last I saw, this thread isn't stickied.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2236 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 06:54:45 »

I'm on my phone so I can't really check but last I saw, this thread isn't stickied.

It is now bro!!!!

24173-0

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2237 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 07:54:18 »
And it only took 75 pages of replies to get there.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2238 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 08:12:18 »
And it only took 75 pages of replies to get there.

That's actually relative since for me it shows page 45....depends on how many posts you show per page in the settngs....has confused me a few times....;)

But over 2000 replies....yes that is a lot of helping people for one  thread!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2239 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 08:19:45 »
Oooo, that's fancy! :D  I'm really excited ^__^. Thanks everyone for making this thread a success!!

Edit: I'll add this to the OP later :D

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #2240 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:19:37 »

Back when i ordered a set from him about 2 weeks ago it was actually $80 :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2241 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:25:30 »

hmmmm, well I message him on May 19th which was two weeks ago and he said it wasn't available for $80 anymore :eek:

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #2242 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:27:54 »

hmmmm, well I message him on May 19th which was two weeks ago and he said it wasn't available for $80 anymore :eek:

yup, it was just about then that the listing on his site started to change..

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2243 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 17:33:50 »
Is there a way to disassemble  (easily, from the outside) an mx switch with a led on it, or are those always soldered? I noticed at the top-base of them and bottom-base they have a little plastic pin in the middle that can be pushed inside. Is that relevant?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2244 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 17:41:20 »
No, LED stops the top from coming off. You will have to desolder it first.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2245 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 17:59:49 »
What is this R4 dolch magic?

Who can give me an easy answer on the history of dolch?

Quickie history on Dolch boards. They made the Dolch 65 PAC board which is really nice. I tried one with vintage blues at the Chicago meetup.

R4 = Round 4. There has been 4 rounds of Dolch replica Group Buys. The last one was run by 7Bit. More info on R4 can be found here. Not sure what the difference between all the Rounds are.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2246 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:11:06 »

yaaa ABS>PBT

Originative's caps are made by gmk.

Also, I plan on not keeping mine in a closet  ;)  so I am leaning towards R2 GB. But the dolch scheme is too goddam sexy.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2247 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:15:05 »

Also, I plan on not keeping mine in a closet  ;)  so I am leaning towards R2 GB. But the dolch scheme is too goddam sexy.

Isn't the R2 GB you keep referring to a Dolch replica set? GMK's is thick doubleshot ABS from the original Cherry molds while the replica sets were from Signature Plastics. So isn't R2 GB thin SP ABS?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2248 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:15:35 »

Isn't the R2 GB you keep referring to a Dolch replica set? GMK's is thick doubleshot ABS from the original Cherry molds while the replica sets were from Signature Plastics. So isn't R2 GB thin SP ABS?

R2 GB is for Imsto Thick PBT  :p

Link - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2249 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:20:39 »
R2 GB is for Imsto Thick PBT  :p

Link - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

Oh THAT R2...hard to judge what R2 we're talking about. For all I know, it couldve been Beast's switch tools. :P