Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478522 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2050 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:57:33 »
so then I guess that means we wait  ???

5 am in Taiwan--long wait!  In the meantime... random article about a restaurant in Taiwan, for those who are bored :)
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1882569,00.html
(sorry about the Off-topic)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2051 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:04:12 »
Yeah, sorry to be such a grump, but can you guys make a new thread for this Ducky stuff, too? This here is Simple Questions, Simple Answers...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2052 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:07:51 »
Sorry, jd. We're just simple people, lookin' for some answers...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2053 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:10:36 »
The truth is revealed: Moose is in fact just a simple person. Not an anti-God or even a moose. And JD is correct yet again, if you guys could push the Ducky info to a new thread that'd be wonderful. Thank you ^-^

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2054 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:16:43 »
The truth is revealed: Moose is in fact just a simple person. Not an anti-God or even a moose. And JD is correct yet again, if you guys could push the Ducky info to a new thread that'd be wonderful. Thank you ^-^

Here is a simple question, why is this thread not a sticky yet?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2055 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:18:27 »

Simple answer: because a moderator or administrator of the forum hasn't deemed it sticky-worthy yet. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2056 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:19:38 »

Simple answer: because a moderator or administrator of the forum hasn't deemed it sticky-worthy yet. :)

ok :(

so has anyone ever had a shortened usb cable like < 6 inches  that plugs into their keyboard then a female end on the other side to be used as a disconnect so you just unplug the cable from their to the pc and go, while always leaving the short cable plugged into your keyboard?

the idea being you could have two or three or however many cables that went from the pc to keyboard that stayed, say one at work and the other at home.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:28:02 by ray4jc »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2057 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:30:04 »
This thread makes me sticky.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2058 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:31:06 »
This thread makes me sticky.

just don't get it on your keyboard or else!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2059 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:34:50 »
so has anyone ever had a shortened usb cable like < 6 inches  that plugs into their keyboard then a female end on the other side to be used as a disconnect so you just unplug the cable from their to the pc and go, while always leaving the short cable plugged into your keyboard?

the idea being you could have two or three or however many cables that went from the pc to keyboard that stayed, say one at work and the other at home.

George aka mistakemistake used to make the little quick disconnect cables like this. You could probably get any of the cable makers here to make you something like that.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2060 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:36:16 »

George aka mistakemistake used to make the little quick disconnect cables like this. You could probably get any of the cable makers here to make you something like that.

well I wanted it for my ducky because its a pain to plug and unplug and then I saw a pic of a phantom with the usb cable in the teensy ziptied to the pcb and something like what I asked about be perfect for that.

i have a hard time explaining what I want sometimes

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2061 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:36:23 »

I believe Pexon and Paranoid make such cables, so I'd ask them for recommendations on DIY.

If it's a mini-USB connection to the board, could always get a short mini USB cable like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5446&seq=1&format=2

(or shorter)  and a USB extension cable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:38:14 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2062 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:38:07 »

I believe Pexon and Paranoid make such cables, so I'd ask them for recommendations on DIY.

Show Image

Show Image

yeah pexon posted an example for me but his was for a filco just because the filco didn't come with a normally detachable cable.

I guess I should have asked like this, do any of your guys use a cable setup like I suggested above?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2063 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:41:12 »
I don't see why you would do that, when just 6 inches from there... you could disconnect the cable, always leaving those cables connected to your computer...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2064 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:46:40 »
I don't see why you would do that, when just 6 inches from there... you could disconnect the cable, always leaving those cables connected to your computer...

one everytime I unplug and try to replug my ducky I feel like I'm going to break something

23572-0

and do most phantoms end up cabled like this?

23574-1

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2065 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:48:17 »
Ah! Well that does make sense then, now that a picture accommodates your idea. You should go for it! You should be able to find a very short mini USB cable online.

Also, I imagine so. That's how mine is, though without a zip tie. I'm not roughly moving my keyboards around all the time.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2066 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:54:43 »
Ah! Well that does make sense then, now that a picture accommodates your idea. You should go for it! You should be able to find a very short mini USB cable online.

Also, I imagine so. That's how mine is, though without a zip tie. I'm not roughly moving my keyboards around all the time.

In all reality I would really , really like a wireless keyboard  ???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2067 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:58:23 »

KBTalking has that Bluetooth wireless keyboard. Binge is selling one in the classifieds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2068 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:59:44 »
Binge is selling his for fairly cheap at the moment. I wish I could buy it, because I'd love a wireless keyboard as well.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2069 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 17:14:00 »

Just get the mini USB cable I linked--the mini USB side is tiny--it should fit.  It's only 1.5ft long and comes in black or white.

$1.05 + shipping, and a USB extension cable x 2.  Keep each of the extension cables plugged into both of your computers and just unplug the keyboard with the 1.5ft cable in it.  Example: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5432&seq=1&format=2
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:40:48 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2070 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:03:04 »

KBTalking has that Bluetooth wireless keyboard. Binge is selling one in the classifieds

I am not a fan of blue switches or I probably would have bought that months ago ;)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2071 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:08:16 »
Someone else is selling one with Browns as well. But Blues are better. Just a simple fact.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2072 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:14:40 »
Someone else is selling one with Browns as well. But Blues are better. Just a simple fact.

I dislike both blues and browns :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2073 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:28:34 »
Then you can buy one with Reds on techkeys?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2074 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:51:17 »
Then you can buy one with Reds on techkeys?

Meh...........

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2076 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 19:35:00 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2077 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:32:01 »
This post is not directed at anyone in particular. If you think it sounds like your situation, maybe it applies to a specific case you have in mind, but trust me, this post is for general guidelines, and is in no way intended to point out anyone as being wrong or inconsiderate.

Q: Should I post my question here in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread, or make a new thread to address my problem or situation?

A: If your question is brief, specific, and you reasonably believe that it could be answered in one reply post, please post your question here, and someone will try to help you as soon as possible with an answer and/or explanation of where to find further information. Links to other posts/threads will be provided when possible.

If you think that the response to your question will be likely to require several posts, with the possibility of interaction between yourself and the responder being necessary to come to an conclusion, you would probably be doing the community a favor by starting a new thread regarding your topic. A new thread will give others the opportunity to explore the same issues that you are experiencing in regard to the keyboard, switch, or other issue, organized cohesively into one place.

Also, if what you thought was a simple question turned into a lengthy discussion, please create a new thread regarding that topic, and post a link and direct others to join the discussion in that thread.

These few guidelines should make the organization of information by topic much more defined, and accessible to other members who may be having the same question, problem, or issue you may be experiencing.

Thanks for helping to make this topic the place to turn for questions and answers!

:D

in memoriam

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2078 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:36:40 »
* SmallFry feels the wounds cut deep. I trusted you JADECARP!

Offline Sai

« Reply #2079 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:42:16 »
i don't believe those are all keyboards you have there, jd.  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2080 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:51:48 »
Pfft...JD thinks he can just come in here and get things added to the OP like he owns this? :P

Seriously though, I really like how that post was worded and have added it to the OP. I hope that this thread will continue to thrive and even generate a lot of cool spinoff threads :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2081 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 23:23:48 »
I managed to read JDs post even at this ungodly hour and I agree with it totally.

I also have two simple questions for you guys.

Does the legend quality/clarity differ between imsto and BSP dyesub keycaps?
If I were to mix and match some BSP black on beige two tones and some GMK black on beige two tones would I notice a colour difference? If so, would it be very noticable?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2082 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:43:48 »
Where can I get custom thick PBT caps?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline mauri

« Reply #2083 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:51:27 »

Nowhere
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2084 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:12:07 »
I feel imsto caps are on par with BSP caps in both printing and the base caps quality. Where the biggest difference that will mater to a buyer lies in what size modifier they need, 1.25 or 1.5 is easiest way to make the decision.
If you mix PBT and ABS there will almost always be a color difference, it depends on how noticeable it is and how much that may bother you. Personally, extremely small shade difference drives me crazier lol.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2085 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:02:32 »

The ones that TechKeys carries are done by Imsto. You could try contacting Imsto but I'm not sure you'll be able to do a one off run. You can get blank PBT caps from SP and dye them yourself. But I don't think there's a service like WASD for thick PBT caps.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2086 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:10:37 »

The ones that TechKeys carries are done by Imsto. You could try contacting Imsto but I'm not sure you'll be able to do a one off run. You can get blank PBT caps from SP and dye them yourself. But I don't think there's a service like WASD for thick PBT caps.
Actually they're done through Qtan. :)

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2087 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:03:19 »
Do plate mounted switches have any advantage over PCB mount?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2088 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:06:25 »
Keyboard makers should really start moving over to Micro USB. Not only is it becoming ubiquitous due to cell phones, but it's much more durable than the Mini USB connector.

Offline phx

« Reply #2089 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:20:01 »
on my QFR the LED is at the bottom of the switch, any way to swap out the switch and put in one that has the LED at the top?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2090 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:21:38 »
Keyboard makers should really start moving over to Micro USB. Not only is it becoming ubiquitous due to cell phones, but it's much more durable than the Mini USB connector.

And then you could charge your cell with your keyboard cable!! Win, win!!

Daerid, someone posted that you had done an ultimate topre board review but I can't seem to find it, could you point me in the right direction?

on my QFR the LED is at the bottom of the switch, any way to swap out the switch and put in one that has the LED at the top?

I think you just unsolder and turn it around? maybe thats too easy....i have yet to delve into modding. (i'm an idiot but jd knows all)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:37:37 by ray4jc »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2091 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:34:21 »

Unfortunately, no. The switch (and LED) cab only be mounted in one orientation, which depends upon how the holes for the pins are laid out on the PCB.

in memoriam

Offline phx

« Reply #2092 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:35:58 »

I think you just unsolder and turn it around? maybe thats too easy....i have yet to delve into modding.

unfortunately I don't think you can just flip the switch upside down.

If I were to take a guess I would say the LED light itself probably has its own soldering points, therefore making it impossible to move unless the PCB itself is changed.

I'm asking this cuz I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar and how they went about doing it.

think I just answered my own question, take a look at this

the 3 red boxes indicate the switches that has LED on it. as you can see there are two smaller soldering points at the bottom of each of those. so this means it's impossible to swap it to the top.

aww man
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:40:56 by phx »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2093 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:47:04 »

If you're going to mount your switches to a board with a plate, you won't have to snip off all the little legs that the PCB-mounted switches have.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2094 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:56:28 »

If you're going to mount your switches to a board with a plate, you won't have to snip off all the little legs that the PCB-mounted switches have.

Just remember, you don't have to snip anything if the PCB has holes for those "little legs." :D

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2095 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:57:21 »

Just remember, you don't have to snip anything if the PCB has holes for those "little legs." :D

what about switches for a phantom with a plate? don't the legs have to be cut off for those?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2096 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:59:44 »

what about switches for a phantom with a plate? don't the legs have to be cut off for those?

Yes, in order to mount PCB mount switches on a Phantom PCB, you will have to cut off those legs.

in memoriam

Offline Meistershank

« Reply #2097 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:04:47 »
Here's for a question that should be relatively easy to answer.  Can anyone tell me what type of Cherry switch this is?  It's from a Royal Alpha 2001 typewriter; it's black, but sure isn't a Cherry MX black >.>

Offline phx

« Reply #2098 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:07:59 »
whats so special about Phantom PCBs anyway?

also, anyone here have a picture of a top LED switch?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2099 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:10:34 »
Here's for a question that should be relatively easy to answer.  Can anyone tell me what type of Cherry switch this is?  It's from a Royal Alpha 2001 typewriter; it's black, but sure isn't a Cherry MX black >.>
Show Image

Looks like a Cherry M6 variant to me, or a first-gen M7.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_M7

whats so special about Phantom PCBs anyway?

also, anyone here have a picture of a top LED switch?

Phantom PCB has the option for several different layouts, similar to the GH60. See here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom

The "top LED switch" is simply a Cherry MX switch mounted 180-degrees from a "bottom LED switch." :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:14:53 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam