Author Topic: My Adventures with Filco  (Read 2678 times)

Offline tmpdev101

My Adventures with Filco
« on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 19:51:12 »
For the benefit of everyone I will share my experience with Filcos so that someone might find it useful

One of my friends has a Filco Minila and I was highly impressed by it so I thought I will give Filco a try.  I initially bought a Filco (Brown) Majestouch2 full keyboard.  On the second day I noticed a 'ping' when entering some of the keys, especially the right Shift Enter and BackSpace key.  I did a bit of reading on this and found out that this is a common issue with mechanical keyboards.  As much as I tried I could not make up my mind to accept this sound and not only does it sound off it feels really cheap as well when compared with the rest of the keys.  I checked the same keys on my friends Minila and they did not make this terrible ping sound and feel cheap.  I went ahead and returned the keyboard -15% stacking fee.

After returning the Majestouch2 I bought a Majestouch2 TKL hoping this would be better.  The same as before even this had a 'ping' sound on the same keys and I noticed it only happens on the right big keys.  For example the right Shift has the ping sound when compared to the left Shift key.  Not only is there a 'ping' but the key press also feels really cheap and includes a rattle.  So I got some O-rings and put them under these specific (Backspace Enter Shift) keys.  This improved the ping drastically but I still get that cheap feeling when pressing these keys especially when I press it hard.  I know I should probably get used to it, but after spending around 210 AU$ on this I expect the keyboard to be perfect.  Apart from the larger keys the rest of the keys are fine and feel quite good, but the problem is that I use these large keys a lot.

I compared my friend's Minila again with this, and the Minila has an overall better build quality, might be because the size is smaller and lesser room to make hollow noises.

Offline raxander

Re: My Adventures with Filco
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 22:27:43 »
Try lubing the stabilizers.  I would just use dielectric grease on the contact points where the metal is coming into contact with plastic.  Because filco uses costar stabilizers, they're easier to work on than Cherry ones.  You can take the wires out and lube the wire and the plastic housing.  If that doesn't do the trick you could also try putting a bit of foam on the inside of the offending cap to dampen the noise a bit.  It's common to have rattle and ping on stabilized keys, but I've had good success with reducing or eliminating it.  Another thing that might help is to do something to dampen the upstroke, like a QMX clip or zealencio.  O-rings just dampen the downstroke.  The topping-out sound on the upstroke is usually a clack, but the force of it may also contribute to rattle or ping I guess, and so a clip might help.  But I bet a little grease will probably do the trick so try that first. 

If you search for "costar stabilizer rattle" you will find tons of threads and some videos about different ways to address it.

It could be, as you say, that the acoustics are just different on the minila because of the layout.  Assuming they're both using costar stabilizers, I'm not sure what they could do differently between the two keyboards for build quality that would have an effect on this phenomenon.  Unless they're lubing the minila, but I doubt they are.

Rattle and ping drives me nuts too, especially where I've put o-rings or clips on the other keys so it stands out more.  But in my experience it just takes some work and patience to get it to be quieter.  I don't see it as a "build quality" issue, but maybe others with more experience have a different opinion.

EDIT:  Here's a video showing how to lube the costar stabilizers:
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2017, 22:32:05 by raxander »

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 00:25:21 »
thanks for this, just a quick question.  What exactly does lubing do and how do this stop that rattle and cheap feeling.  Plus what is the lube I should use?

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 00:59:53 »
I noticed that this ping phenomena can be found on TKL keyboards and bigger.  Smaller keyboards rarely suffer from this.  Leopold keyboards have this and they are using a foam to silence the keyboard.  So you will find it on the highest of quality keyboards that use Cherry MX switches on a metal plate.  I would not say this is a build quality issue but I do agree it can aggravate some people to the point they return the keyboard.

Offline raxander

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 08:49:45 »
Lubing will reduce friction from contact between the metal and the plastic where the stabilizer wire is in contact with the plastic mount, and as a consequence will reduce the noise.  I'm using this stuff but I'm not sure if it's the best: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37535-Dielectric-Tune-Up-80-milliliter/dp/B003XZFIF6.  And I'm not as delicate or thorough as the guy in the video but still get good results.

You'll see fancier lubes recommended for keyboards, like krytox, but I think you only need that if you're lubing the switches rather than the stabilizers.  Hope that helps!

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 18:38:06 »
I noticed the rattle comes from a slight play between the white stabilizer switch (if thats what you call it) and the metal bar that goes in between.  I am not sure lubing will solve this issue?  Do I need to insert a small sponge inside to stop the rattle?

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 18:54:46 »
Applying Krytox 205 to the "holes" of the white plastic inserts (which then transfers to the stabilizer wires) quiets the rattling down considerably.

Offline raxander

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:31:38 »
I noticed the rattle comes from a slight play between the white stabilizer switch (if thats what you call it) and the metal bar that goes in between.  I am not sure lubing will solve this issue?  Do I need to insert a small sponge inside to stop the rattle?

Worth a shot.  But maybe try lube first and see how that goes, including that spot you're describing.  I think you'll be surprised by how much difference that makes.

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 23:41:11 »
I applied grease (lube) generously on the offending keys.  It has made a big difference.  I am not sure how it solves the rattling but it has made a big difference.  Thanks guys for the help and information.

Offline raxander

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 18:31:39 »
Wonderful!  Glad that worked!  Is the perceived "feel" better also?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:48:49 »
Costar > Cherry stabilizers for life. But only lubed. Always lube Costar stabs

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 00:37:34 »
Yes the feel is much better as well :) and to think I was actually contemplating on replacing the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 00:45:51 by tmpdev101 »