Author Topic: Aluminum cases - thoughts on color choices  (Read 2045 times)

Offline avid

Aluminum cases - thoughts on color choices
« on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:01:51 »
So i have just started to dip my toes and bought customs and would like to hear what the forum members who have some experience in this have to think about this. What are your thoughts on the main colors; silver, gray and black?
I've seen people say that silver is hard to match (outside of beige sets).

Do you mix them up or stick to one color? What's your preferences?

Also interested in thoughts about more crazy choices, such as red and blue. They can look quite stunning, but is it something you grow tired of?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Aluminum cases - thoughts on color choices
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:53:44 »
Silver goes with everything.

Black does too, but it scratches easily.

Dark grey is prone to anodization issues, so I tend to avoid that too.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:41:33 »
When Ryan Norbauer ran his second round of aluminum cases for the NovaTouch, I picked up three colors: white, dark blue, and dark gray. The only other color I would loved to have seen would have been tan. I don't like bright colors for cases, and I have very few keycaps sets that look good with a black case, so I tend to avoid black.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 19:46:25 »
Silver goes with everything.
This, grey/gray/silver tends to blend with any color it's next to. It's neutral and therefore not going to clash with anything you put next to it. Unfortunately, it's neutral, so it also doesn't stand out. The red cases look FANTASTIC with white or Red Alert /Klaxxon keycaps, but paired with CCNG it will look a bit Christmasy year round. Combined with something orange or purple, and it can look terrible (not always but it's hard to make work). Silver looks fine with all of them, not fantastic, but good and doesn't detract from anything. Black is kind of in a similar boat.

The case is going to be there a while (especially aluminum ones) and the case is not really the part you look at all day so make it something that blends and doesn't detract from the keycaps and lighting.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 06:59:52 »
My preference is definitely silver/gray.
As mentioned it goes with almost anything really.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:54:25 »
Any keycap set that looks good on a silver case will invariably look better on a white (or off-white) case. Silver is pointless, IMO.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:02:50 »
Any keycap set that looks good on a silver case will invariably look better on a white (or off-white) case. Silver is pointless, IMO.

True white options are pretty bad, silver is easier and cheaper to do.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:06:49 »
...silver is easier and cheaper to do.

Cheap and easy rarely equals good.

Offline Petch

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 07:03:53 »

True white options are pretty bad, silver is easier and cheaper to do.

What about PEO for white?

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 11:07:28 »

I tend to agree with this. I have maybe 1-2 sets that look really good on a silver board (IMO). And for certain boards, I'm okay with it if they come in silver (like the WhiteFox or K-Type). But for after-market cases, I don't find silver to give me the sort of flexibility that I'm looking for. I tend to go for matching/complementing colors, or a good amount of contrast. And if I'm going for contrast, white/off-white > silver for me.

Dark grey (or in a pinch, black) is my go-to. Otherwise, I go for color.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline avid

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 13:25:39 »

Is there any nice aluminum cases in white? Never seen one.