Author Topic: Corsair K95 RGB Conversion  (Read 1685 times)

Offline retryW

Corsair K95 RGB Conversion
« on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:20:05 »
Hey guys,
I'm brand new here, and had a quick search for a similar topic but couldn't find one.

I own a K95 RGB keyboard with MX Cherry Red switches. I wanted the Blues (for the feel not the noise), but they were sold out and no longer being produced by the time I had the money to buy one of these bad boys. I absolutely LOVE the keyboard, but when I'm typing, I find myself accidentally hitting the wrong keys as the weight on the reds is so little. I was wondering how easy it would be to convert to MX Blues or Browns (closest to blues minus the huge click right?) if I bought the switches by themselves?

Are the switches soldered in there, or can you remove the keycap, then the switch casing to simply replace the switch itself? Or will removing and resoldering be required (I won't bother if this is the case)

Any help would be much appreciated.

-retryW

Offline clee290

Re: Corsair K95 RGB Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:31:08 »
Yes, you would need to desolder the switches out then solder the new ones in.

Offline retryW

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:35:10 »
Yes, you would need to desolder the switches out then solder the new ones in.

That's a shame...

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Offline IBMPCDOS5

• I have no idea what to put here.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:40:22 »
Hey there!

Cherry MX Blues are probably the most tactile Cherry switch when they are stock. However, I would like to say that Cherry isn't the best way to get into MKs in my opinion.
But let's put opinions aside, and see what I can do.
(closest to blues minus the huge click right?)
This is not true. Browns and Blues are completely different in terms of tactility. Browns have a small notch in the slider (the cross pin thingy) and that jitters the key travel a little. The tactility is very weak, and Browns don't feel much different than Reds from what I've felt.

Quote from: retryW
Are the switches soldered in there, or can you remove the keycap, then the switch casing to simply replace the switch itself? Or will removing and resoldering be required (I won't bother if this is the case)
This is actually a good question. I believe that Corsair soldered in the switches, so this wouldn't help ya. But it might be modular, not sure though.

If you buy Blue switches and you want the strong(ish) tactility without the click, maybe consider the Jailhouse Blue mod. Here's a link if you're interested: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0

Hope I've helped you at all! If you have questions, please feel free to ask!

-IBMPCDOS5

Offline retryW

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:49:55 »
First off thanks for all the info.

Cherry MX Blues are probably the most tactile Cherry switch when they are stock. However, I would like to say that Cherry isn't the best way to get into MKs in my opinion.
But let's put opinions aside, and see what I can do.
(closest to blues minus the huge click right?)
This is not true. Browns and Blues are completely different in terms of tactility. Browns have a small notch in the slider (the cross pin thingy) and that jitters the key travel a little. The tactility is very weak, and Browns don't feel much different than Reds from what I've felt.

Sorry so I should have been more clear, I'd like to replace them with Blues or any equivalent key that fits an MX casing (I don't know much about switches and have only ever used MX or the homebrand razor ones my mate has that I hate the feel of)
Also I was just told from a mate they were the closest. I honestly have no idea, so thanks for clearing that up :)

This is actually a good question. I believe that Corsair soldered in the switches, so this wouldn't help ya. But it might be modular, not sure though.

If you buy Blue switches and you want the strong(ish) tactility without the click, maybe consider the Jailhouse Blue mod. Here's a link if you're interested: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0
Hmm okay, well based off the two replies so far, I'll assume it's soldered. I'm not great at soldering, and wouldn't want to ruin my keyboard. I'll pull the keys off and see what it looks like, but unless I can find a mate that is a soldering god I guess I'll just learn to live with it. Like I said, I absolutely love the keyboard, and the reds are great for my gaming, it's just my typing that suffers.

-retry

Offline IBMPCDOS5

• I have no idea what to put here.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 14:30:11 »
First off thanks for all the info.
No problem! That's why we're here!  :p
Sorry so I should have been more clear, I'd like to replace them with Blues or any equivalent key that fits an MX casing (I don't know much about switches and have only ever used MX or the homebrand razor ones my mate has that I hate the feel of)
I really don't like Razer's switches either; they are too scratchy. Cherry has improved in terms of smoothness, they are more like vintage blacks, but I still prefer Alps.
Like I said, I absolutely love the keyboard, and the reds are great for my gaming, it's just my typing that suffers.
Heh, that happens to all of us, doesn't it? :p

Well, good luck! Hope it turns out well!

-IBMPCDOS5