Author Topic: [IC] KAT Refined - GB starts tomorrow!  (Read 191893 times)

Offline PureLuck

Re: [IC] KAT Refined - GroupBuy in October 2020
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 07:16:46 »
Wow this is really very nice and refined. Will be my very 1st KAT set.

Would you be considering South East Asia vendors?

Offline pokkuhlag

« Reply #401 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:21:45 »
Is it possible to have a seperate Ortho kit? Just like KAT Hyperfuse? I don't need all those weird sized mods / space bars. Would be a somewhat cheaper as well for us dedicated ortho users. If I compare KAT hyperfuse with KAT atlantis.

Offline wgsunrise

« Reply #402 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:25:31 »
— Candybar render is outdated. Will remain that way until I know what mods (icon or text) we're going with.
Does this mean that the final GB will have only one option of mod kit (no matter which one eventually) instead all three of them?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #403 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 12:11:40 »
If KAT Mizu could use these legends when the GB runs later this year, that would be the dream. I'd still be buying this too, obviously.

Offline tempo

« Reply #404 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 13:44:20 »
Are the prices released for this?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 14:02:40 »
Hi sorry is there a Discord server for this to have easier pages for updates/announcements/general feedback? Tried to look across the posts but couldn't find : )

Hi! I have kept the first post in this thread updated so best bet is to look there. I will clean it up a little bit when the next big update is coming (pretty soon). Hope that works for you. I will check with the vendor if I can have a channel there for anything KAT Refined related. I will keep you updated if it happens. Thanks!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #406 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 14:05:28 »
Wow this is really very nice and refined. Will be my very 1st KAT set.

Would you be considering South East Asia vendors?

Thank you! Hope you will enjoy it! It's a little bit tricky since it is Asia and we already have a proxy for it but I will check since you are not the first one to ask.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 14:26:10 »
Is it possible to have a seperate Ortho kit? Just like KAT Hyperfuse? I don't need all those weird sized mods / space bars. Would be a somewhat cheaper as well for us dedicated ortho users. If I compare KAT hyperfuse with KAT atlantis.

Yes, actually those kits are usually about half the price of the 40S kits so consider it done.

Are the prices released for this?

Not until the kits are final. We're pretty close. As a reference look at past KAT GB's.

Does this mean that the final GB will have only one option of mod kit (no matter which one eventually) instead all three of them?

Yes most likely. I don't think icon+text would even work for most of the 40S/Ortho keys so that one is out for sure which leaves us with two variants.  I could possibly offer Text & Icon but since Ortho and 40S will be split we're looking at 8 (!) added kits. From my non-scientific research it seems most users prefer icon mods. So for the next update that is what is happening and we'll just have to take it from there and see if that sticks all the way to GB or not. Hope u understand, and feel free to react in the thread when the kits have been updated. Cheers!

Offline PubicusMaximus

« Reply #408 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 15:16:38 »
Good stuff, In for a full BoW Kit

Offline WooWapDaBam

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 15:48:32 »

Yes most likely. I don't think icon+text would even work for most of the 40S/Ortho keys so that one is out for sure which leaves us with two variants.  I could possibly offer Text & Icon but since Ortho and 40S will be split we're looking at 8 (!) added kits. From my non-scientific research it seems most users prefer icon mods. So for the next update that is what is happening and we'll just have to take it from there and see if that sticks all the way to GB or not. Hope u understand, and feel free to react in the thread when the kits have been updated. Cheers!

I hope we will have the option to get text only mods. It's such a clean set and I think text only suits it very well.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #410 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 15:52:34 »
There's now an official Discord channel on the Mykeyboard.eu server to reach me, discuss and find out about updates.

https://discord.gg/GyDWwE2
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:29:26 by MacSurfy »

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 22:08:40 »
Man your attention to detail is 💯

Offline Nepherte

« Reply #412 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 23:24:45 »
Count me in for both sets. Would be first KAT profile and these certainly convince me to take the jump.

Offline wgsunrise

« Reply #413 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 09:04:50 »
Damn!! I really want Text mod would make it.
I am aware that Icon mod seems like the most favorite option in the community but I just don't like it.

Just like a lot of people have mentioned in previous discussion since KAT doesn't really have a hard MOQ for single kit as long as the entire ordered amount reach a certain MOQ.
I hope that you could take that into consideration to make both Icon and Text mod available if Text mod isn't going to be the only option.  :p

Thank you for the effort.
King regards.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 12:28:58 »
Damn!! I really want Text mod would make it.
I am aware that Icon mod seems like the most favorite option in the community but I just don't like it.

Just like a lot of people have mentioned in previous discussion since KAT doesn't really have a hard MOQ for single kit as long as the entire ordered amount reach a certain MOQ.
I hope that you could take that into consideration to make both Icon and Text mod available if Text mod isn't going to be the only option.  :p

Thank you for the effort.
King regards.

Noted, the files still exist so we'll see after next round.  :thumb:

Offline pokkuhlag

« Reply #415 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 00:00:59 »

Yes, actually those kits are usually about half the price of the 40S kits so consider it done.

Thanks for that modification, I was just wondering about another one. Would it be possible to have an opposite color space bar in the ortho kit? (Perhaps everyone else would like it for their modifier kit as well) Most of my two-tone keyboards have a white alpha's with white spacebars and a different tone modifiers. Seems like a waste of money to buy two mod kits for just one space bar.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #416 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 09:39:47 »
I am partial to GMK as well however the second I saw the black and white combinations with that key profile I was sold. This is the set I need for my Stormtrooper 2U Think6.5V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xReV

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:03:34 »
Wow really nice.  :D

Offline crash822

« Reply #418 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 12:34:51 »
I am partial to GMK as well however the second I saw the black and white combinations with that key profile I was sold. This is the set I need for my Stormtrooper 2U Think6.5V2

Doing the same thing with my stormtrooper think

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #419 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 14:23:15 »

Doing the same thing with my stormtrooper think
Yessssss!!!

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #420 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 20:35:30 »
Discord link is dead... can we get a new one?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #421 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:28:50 »
Discord link is dead... can we get a new one?

https://discord.gg/GyDWwE2

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #422 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:13:05 »
Thanks for that modification, I was just wondering about another one. Would it be possible to have an opposite color space bar in the ortho kit? (Perhaps everyone else would like it for their modifier kit as well) Most of my two-tone keyboards have a white alpha's with white spacebars and a different tone modifiers. Seems like a waste of money to buy two mod kits for just one space bar.

Sorry but that one isn't happening. Kits stay true to their color and by not adding everyones favourite accent key to pretty much all kits we can keep the prices down. On the flip side, I made Ortho its own kit thus slashing the price in half so you can have two for the same price as the old one  :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:34:37 by MacSurfy »

Offline pokkuhlag

« Reply #423 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:25:41 »

Sorry but that one isn't happening. Kits stay true to their color and by not adding everyones favourite accent key to pretty much all kit we can keep the prices down. On the flip side, I made Ortho its own kit thus slashing the price in half so you can have two for the same price as the old one  :)

Thank you for your answer, I understand there are limits on the amount of changes. I am already grateful the ortho kit is split up.  ;D

Offline Avijit

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 23:03:05 »
This is looking great, super excited for this.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 01:46:45 »
Big kit update!

Thank you all for feedbacking and giving your opinions. I didn't have time to get back to everyone, but your requested change might be in here. Or it might not, regardless I still want to hear your feedback and I am planning to do more tweaks in the coming weeks. Please check the todo list on the front page for more info on that.

Updates

08/04/2020
40S/Ortho — Split in to separate kits
Colevrak — kits added
Spacebars — kits added
40S kits — Changed in to icon mods
40S kits — Added R2 1.5U Tab & FN
40S kits — R4 row removed
Ortho kits — Changed in to icon mods
Ergo kits — Changed to single color
Ergo kits — Changed to icon/text mods
Mac kits — Added icon mods
Mods kits — Removed 6.25U
Mods kits — Added 1U `~
Mods kits — Removed R3 |\
Mods kits — R2 Control
Mods kits — Removed R4 End & Pg Dn
Alphas kits — Added 6.25U
Extra Mods kits — Added 1.5U Function
Extra Mods kits — Added another 1.5U System
Extra Mods kits — Added two 1.5U Code
Extra Mods kits — Added another 1U Win
Extra Mods kits — Added 1.5U Alt
Alpha kits — Added R3 |\
Numpad kits — Added R4 End & Pg Dn
NorDeUK — Added R2 |\
General — Adjusted position & length of all arrows.

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAT Refined - New kit updates are live! | GB in October 2020
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:02:38 »
Copy/paste of my discord comment for posterity:

First, let me say I'm super excited about this! Awesome job; you nailed the colevrak kit. A couple questions on ortho though: R3 (the Q row) control is interesting, as is R2 (A row) shift. Did people specifically request those? I know I LOVE that you put in an R2 control, but I don't think I've seen an R3 one.

I ask for random keys sometimes, so I don't begrudge you honoring people's odd requests. Just never seen them before, so I thought I'd ask.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Avijit

Re: [IC] KAT Refined - New kit updates are live! | GB in October 2020
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:25:42 »
Something I still don't particularly understand is the separated F-row. I don't see how the savings for having it like this is worthwhile. I understand that 60% and 65% are very popular and F-rowless keyboards are on the rise. But parting the F-row which will end up costing an additional 10-15$ for a large segment of the community seems like a weird choice.

Also was the exact white that will be used mentioned?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:31:39 »
Something I still don't particularly understand is the separated F-row. I don't see how the savings for having it like this is worthwhile. I understand that 60% and 65% are very popular and F-rowless keyboards are on the rise. But parting the F-row which will end up costing an additional 10-15$ for a large segment of the community seems like a weird choice.

There is no added cost. People that need F-row will not pay more than they should, and people who don't need it won't have to waste their money on keys they have no use for. There is no downside to this.

I am receiving samples today so will show the selected white (and black) once I have decided on one and photos to go with it.

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:37:04 »
I've been so excited for this ever since it was first posted and this update to the kitting has completely renewed my Hype levels. Can't wait for the Sample photos

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Avijit

« Reply #430 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 03:09:31 »

There is no added cost. People that need F-row will not pay more than they should, and people who don't need it won't have to waste their money on keys they have no use for. There is no downside to this.

I am receiving samples today so will show the selected white (and black) once I have decided on one and photos to go with it.

Alright, Thanks that is good to know, have you requested quotes yet or is the kitting still not finalized?

Looking forward to seeing the samples and purchasing this in october

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 04:38:34 »

Alright, Thanks that is good to know, have you requested quotes yet or is the kitting still not finalized?

Looking forward to seeing the samples and purchasing this in october

Will get quotes as soon as I have kits locked down. Will try to move ahead as fast as possible now so I can get the pricing. Thank you for your support!

Offline pqpq

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 05:40:52 »
firstly, amazing work and definitely in regardless but a couple of questions:

1. any possibility of getting 2x 2.25U Shifts for us 660 layout users?

2. sorry if this was mentioned/discussed already - was it more popular to have the R4 End and Pgdn keys in the numpad kit rather than the mod kits? personally, i thought it would have made more sense to keep them in the mod kits?

3. (being greedy) some sets have included two Tab keys to be able to outfit two boards (obviously different layouts) with just one modifier kit (e.g. a standard ANSI and HHKB/tsangan). of course this is easier achieved with accent kits as they provide additional ESC and Enter keys. i noticed there are 3 different numpad Enters to match whichever style of mods. similarly, adding 3 styles of Tabs (and regular Enters) might make that kit more compelling to some? probably asking a lot, but is this something you might consider?
edit: or perhaps in the Extra Mods kit?

again, looking forward to the GB and appreciate you being so receptive to feedback!
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:02:51 by pqpq »

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #433 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:12:36 »
Wow, really amazing update. The kits have really come a long way, and they’re looking great! You’ll have no more requests from me!
Really appreciate your attention to detail and your dedication to making this set as polished as possible. Exceptional work!

Offline DaMnED

« Reply #434 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 07:15:15 »
My only wish would have to be a South kit since I'm Portuguese. Otherwise it's perfect keycap set with my favorite profile. Good work!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
Got the samples today!

Both good and bad I would say. I ordered a bunch of different white and black caps but only got one batch of whites. Good part is that I am quite happy with it (It is the same as KAT Milkshake I believe). Small legends bleed quite a bit so that will have to be adjusted. Second good thing is that they look really good apart from the bleed. Will do more shots of the other caps later.

I will try to get new samples as fast as possible.

Offline bananasplit_00

Got the samples today!

Both good and bad I would say. I ordered a bunch of different white and black caps but only got one batch of whites. Good part is that I am quite happy with it (It is the same as KAT Milkshake I believe). Small legends bleed quite a bit so that will have to be adjusted. Second good thing is that they look really good apart from the bleed. Will do more shots of the other caps later.

I will try to get new samples as fast as possible.

-Snip-

That white is real nice, cant say i mind the thicccc 2 but that @ needs some adjusting for sure  ;D

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
The white really is a nice in between of WS1 and WS2. Looks really nice  :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
Looking forward to this set.  really clean and well thought out.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline ILikeShorts

I'm sure it's not popular enough to warrant, but any chance of mono-legends for numbers and special characters?

Offline pokkuhlag

The update on the ortho looks very nice. I am glad some of the modifiers are still in text.
Also the choice of white is nice and it doesn't hurt your eyes as much as WS2.  :cool:

Offline kajahtaa

Thanks for preonic pipe in ortho

I'm in

Offline RexKorp

That white looks perfect for e-white boards!

Offline HRB

Reserving at least one set for each color. Take my money!!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
Added Funkeys as a proxy for Ukraine\Russia\Belarus

Welcome!  :thumb:

Offline stoffelduss

Thanks for adding Colevrak, samples look okay as well. The colour I'd prefer as more like WS1.

About the 'ergo' kit, I think some things could be changed. The R2 bracket keys seem to be duplicates from the ones in the alpha kit, and the R2 PgUp and PgDn keys seem to be included twice in just this kit. And for the 1.5u keys, my priorities would in some cases be different. For example, the R3 Control key is something I've never seen, but a R3 1.5 Backspace and a R3 1.5 Backslash would both be pretty common, I think. R2 1.5 Enter would also make sense in my opinion. And for the bottom row, I'd personally prefer a 1.5 Sys or even a second 1.5 Control over the 1.5 Menu or Fn options, possibly the 1.5 Menu could be replaced.

Offline RedBeardDog

— Ukraine\Russia\Belarus: Funkeys
Yea !!!!! :thumb:

Offline the1q

I'm going to end up with 4-5 sets of BOW and WOB but I don't mind. This looks fantastic. Although can't decide if I'd use this instead of my ePBT GOK BOW or my GMK WOB...

Offline Pejano

I'm sure it's not popular enough to warrant, but any chance of mono-legends for numbers and special characters?

+1

I'm an XDA Canvas mono user and it solves a lot of compatibility issues whilst contributing to an even cleaner look.

Offline ponchofreedo

• it me
I'm going to end up with 4-5 sets of BOW and WOB but I don't mind. This looks fantastic. Although can't decide if I'd use this instead of my ePBT GOK BOW or my GMK WOB...

i was just thinking the same thing...