Author Topic: [IC] DANGER ZONE - A Key Set for Aviators and Their Wingmen  (Read 99300 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [IC] DANGER ZONE - A Key Set for Aviators and Their Wingmen
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:09:38 »
So... YAY!  New web site and format that hopefully doesn't suck, but also... BOO!  Starting over sucks huge donkey balls.

No worries,  when you're shoving those balls into your mouth just make sure they're not sweaty,  urgh  ::) .

Offline Muffin860

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:10:48 »
We have so much support though! Not everyone is going to know to go back and check to resubmit interest!  :mad:
IBM Model M

Offline engicoder

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 22:39:19 »
I wouldn't worry. This set is to good to be kept down!  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:15:41 »
Melissa confirmed that we will have to start the IC over again.   :rolleyes:

Offline Muffin860

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:17:41 »

That is pretty terrible customer service if you ask me, I don't see why they can't port the current votes over. Blech.
IBM Model M

Offline Data

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:29:39 »

That is pretty terrible customer service if you ask me, I don't see why they can't port the current votes over. Blech.

They could, in theory, but it's a per-user unique voting system so it might be more trouble than it's worth (for them).  That part doesn't bother me as much as having to resubmit my IC under the new format.  I spent a lot of timing putting this one together.  It would actually make sense to me if they launched the new site with a few up-and-coming ICs already setup.  Just port Danger Zone, Jukebox, and Carbon from the old format so they're ready on Day 1 to help show off the site.  That would be a nice gesture to the few of us who got a week of exposure and a solid response from customers only to have the plug pulled mid-stride.

Offline Muffin860

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:36:09 »

They could, in theory, but it's a per-user unique voting system so it might be more trouble than it's worth (for them).  That part doesn't bother me as much as having to resubmit my IC under the new format.  I spent a lot of timing putting this one together.  It would actually make sense to me if they launched the new site with a few up-and-coming ICs already setup.  Just port Danger Zone, Jukebox, and Carbon from the old format so they're ready on Day 1 to help show off the site.  That would be a nice gesture to the few of us who got a week of exposure and a solid response from customers only to have the plug pulled mid-stride.
Agreed. Either way, really disappointed in SP on this one.
IBM Model M

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 14:08:55 »
Keycap popularity really shot up in the past couple months and now all of sudden the community is flooded with a lot of well thought out keysets but the only thing holding back these keysets from having successful group buys is our wallets. I have seen quite a few keysets lately that have peaked my interest but within a two-week time span I ended purchasing 3 new keyboards and 2 new keysets, my wallet can't keep taking a beating like this.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 00:05:56 »
Keycap popularity really shot up in the past couple months and now all of sudden the community is flooded with a lot of well thought out keysets but the only thing holding back these keysets from having successful group buys is our wallets.

So TRUE because RETRO is going to seriously rape everyone's wallets and leave huge gape marks that shall last for a month in most cases.  Hence don't be so gung-ho in getting this key-set made just yet, give the people of Geekhack some time to recover otherwise it shall be another golden opportunity to own something, that disappears forever because very few can actually front up with the money.

Patience is definitely a virtue here and should be applied just like organizing a military campaign, always makes sure you have the numbers and an arsenal of money before breaching SP's perilous Castle Walls.

Offline Data

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:12:00 »
Keycap popularity really shot up in the past couple months and now all of sudden the community is flooded with a lot of well thought out keysets but the only thing holding back these keysets from having successful group buys is our wallets.

So TRUE because RETRO is going to seriously rape everyone's wallets and leave huge gape marks that shall last for a month in most cases.  Hence don't be so gung-ho in getting this key-set made just yet, give the people of Geekhack some time to recover otherwise it shall be another golden opportunity to own something, that disappears forever because very few can actually front up with the money.

Patience is definitely a virtue here and should be applied just like organizing a military campaign, always makes sure you have the numbers and an arsenal of money before breaching SP's perilous Castle Walls.

None of that matters in the new PMK, if things work like Melissa says they will.  Once the IC passes the minimum vote threshold, they just make a bunch of them and put them in the keyshop.  Then you can buy them at your leisure (assuming they're in stock).  They'll be permanent or semi-permanent fixtures in the store.

No more Round X and no more, "I missed the window (despite it being open for a full month) will somebody sell me their set?"

By the way, the IC is still up and we are fast approaching 200 votes.  In fact all 3 of the ICs that launched on 5/12 are huge successes from an interest check point of view.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:13:54 by Data »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:34:37 »
The ball is in PMK's court at this point, as long as they do what they claim I feel like it could be a nice turn around for keycap development. Another great thing about PMK's new store plan is that they can upload actual pictures of each set once they mass produce them for the consumer's to get a better reference of what it will look like. It will also help when it comes to competition because there will probably have multiple keysets up in the shop at once.

Offline HelixDan

• a SB player
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:06:32 »
what step now? and “The PMK website is changing!”
====== Welcome to Matrix Lab ======
HHKBClack ClickTopre
RealForce 87uClack ClickTopre 55g
LZ-CPGMK Red AlertBrown
Minila AirGranite DSABrown
?????Red

Offline Muffin860

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:36:22 »
I'm assuming Data is rebuilding the submission...
IBM Model M

Offline Data

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 20:22:58 »
There's no option to do that just yet. I assume SP will have an announcement when the new system is ready. If they were smart they'd invite the last few IC leaders to submit their designs to test the process out and get some useful feedback before they release it to the public, and also so they can launch it with some actual content... but that's if they're smart.  ;)

Offline HelixDan

• a SB player
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 12:23:50 »
There's no option to do that just yet. I assume SP will have an announcement when the new system is ready. If they were smart they'd invite the last few IC leaders to submit their designs to test the process out and get some useful feedback before they release it to the public, and also so they can launch it with some actual content... but that's if they're smart.  ;)

JUKEBOX a 50's Retro-Futurism Sculpted SA Keycaps Kit drops at the end of the second week in June......

its a bad news for me, i prefer Danger Zone and Carbon SA  :(

and SA Rows 3 means the keyform is SA [3-3-3-3-3-3] ????
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 13:16:37 by HelixDan »
HHKBClack ClickTopre
LZ-CPGMK Red AlertBrown
?????Red

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 22:37:55 »
JUKEBOX a 50's Retro-Futurism Sculpted SA Keycaps Kit drops at the end of the second week in June......

and SA Rows 3 means the keyform is SA [3-3-3-3-3-3] ??? ?

Same here, can't wait for Danger and Carbon to load up on their website, it shall be gorgeous having the both of them DPing our wallets to death  8) .

Offline Data

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 16:49:39 »

and SA Rows 3 means the keyform is SA [3-3-3-3-3-3] ????

Yes, Uniform Row 3 means 3-3-3-3-3-3.

The intent is to cover as many layouts as possible with as few child kits as possible containing the fewest number of unique keys per kit.  This keeps costs down and helps the group buy succeed.  A fully-sculpted profile requires more keys to gain compatibility with alternate layouts and funky keyboards.  A Colemak kit in a sculpted profile can require as many as 30 keys.  The same kit in uniform profile requires only 2 (homing).

I have nothing against sculpted keys -- they are the tits.  But it was a little more than I was willing to take on for my first key set.  All the child kits can get crazy fast and I need to get this right with zero errors, for personal/OCD reasons.  ;)

I can't predict when PMK will release the new IC system and storefront.  The nice thing about the new setup is that they will keep popular sets in stock in the keyshop, so it won't matter if the timing is good or bad for you whenever an awesome new set drops.  You can just buy it later when your wallet isn't being squeezed (is such a thing even possible?).

Offline Data

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 14:54:56 »
Still no update from SP on the new site.  We're in a holding pattern...

Offline Data

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 14:24:09 »
*crickets*

Offline engicoder

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 15:04:50 »
I fully expect we will have an update on the situation by the end of September, December at the latest  ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 16:14:24 »
I fully expect we will have an update on the situation by the end of September, December at the latest  ;)

The Eternal Optimist

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 21:12:47 »

The Eternal Optimist

Number one prerequisite here on Geekhack, to always be eternally optimistic  8) .

Offline Data

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 18:53:05 »
I emailed Melissa today to see if there was any new information she could share.  I'll let everyone know if I hear back.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:21:11 »
I emailed Melissa today to see if there was any new information she could share.  I'll let everyone know if I hear back.

Awesome, hopefully good news. I know SP isn't doing any SA orders for the near future, was a profile ever decided on for this set? You could always try to go through MD or other outlets should PMK take too long. I'd hate to see this as one of the sets that just kind of fades out.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Data

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:29:06 »
It's SA row 3.

I'm not worried about it fading away.  By the sound of it, under the new system I can just throw up the interest check and SP will manufacture the set(s) when it reaches some minimum interest threshold.  So it'll get made, probably... eventually.  :p

If anything I'd be concerned about QC under the new format.  Since there's no formal group buy anymore it's hard to say how they might handle that stuff.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:31:23 »
It's SA row 3.

I'm not worried about it fading away.  By the sound of it, under the new system I can just throw up the interest check and SP will manufacture the set(s) when it reaches some minimum interest threshold.  So it'll get made, probably... eventually.  :p

If anything I'd be concerned about QC under the new format.  Since there's no formal group buy anymore it's hard to say how they might handle that stuff.

Yeah, I'm trying to be hesitantly optimistic about the new system. But only time will tell.

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 23:22:56 »
I'm happy to see there is still interest, I cant wait until these get made.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:51:31 »
Anyone run this GB plsss!Right now!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:54:32 »

Data, the OP, is the only one that can run it. Currently SP is not taking orders either, so many sets are on hold for the time being.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:56:22 »

Data, the OP, is the only one that can run it. Currently SP is not taking orders either, so many sets are on hold for the time being.
I feel SP is like a fcking deadman right now.Not even a slight move!

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 22:13:28 »

Well, they did just dump half a ton of keycaps on Massdrop.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 01:44:00 »

Well, they did just dump half a ton of keycaps on Massdrop.
Show Image

LoL

Offline Data

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:30:07 »
Received this reply from Melissa yesterday:
Sorry [Data]! It is taking our programmers MUCH longer than we anticipated... we don't have an ETA yet, but hopefully very soon!

Melissa Petersen
Signature Plastics LLC

So the waiting continues.   :eek:

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:47:09 »
Received this reply from Melissa yesterday:
Sorry [Data]! It is taking our programmers MUCH longer than we anticipated... we don't have an ETA yet, but hopefully very soon!

Melissa Petersen
Signature Plastics LLC

So the waiting continues.   :eek:

Bummer dude...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:20:15 »
Bump a pump

Offline Data

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:25:23 »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:34:52 »
Show Image

One of my favorite movie lines of all time was what Data said in Star Trek Generations:
(but since I can't post that, here is one that is funny too...)

Offline Data

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:22:11 »
Generations is my favorite, from the original timeline (pre-Abrams).

Offline turboloser

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 15:31:50 »
I have been watching this thread for two months now and I am still going to buy a set whenever pmk gets off their arses

Offline Data

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 17:03:45 »
I have been watching this thread for two months now and I am still going to buy a set whenever pmk gets off their arses
Thanks for the support and welcome to GeekHack.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 11:57:38 »
This thread gained a lot of popularity fast and now everything has come crashing down since SP is changing their website, on the bright side it does give everybody some time to fatten their wallets in anticipation of this key set release. I bought two Pok3r's, Granite, and Triumph Adler so far and for some reason I want to keep buying more even though I don't have enough hands or computers to use them all. My dream keyboard is a Lightsaver w/ Penumbra but I'm sure I'll easily find a keyboard for this set to go on.

Offline HelixDan

• a SB player
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:56:13 »
SP new website estimates also need a period of time, let us start it on Massdrop :mad:
HHKBClack ClickTopre
LZ-CPGMK Red AlertBrown
?????Red

Offline Data

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:28:02 »
I have my eye on some alternatives if PMK doesn't get their **** together soon.

Offline turboloser

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:09:44 »
I noticed that Danger Zone got some decent attention in the Massdrop poll where it was.

Not sure that's the way to go though, given their very short time frame.

Offline harlw

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:03:15 »
Still holding out hope for this one - my wallet says not too much of a rush though.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Data

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:18:40 »
Thanks.  Some kind of group buy will happen before 2016.  I can promise you that much.   :p

Offline harlw

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:55:41 »
Thanks.  Some kind of group buy will happen before 2016.  I can promise you that much.   :p

Perrrrrfect
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 18:18:14 »

:thumb: Cant wait

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 18:02:44 »
I don't mind the wait at all, there is already too many key sets and keyboards that I'm planning on purchasing already. I'm heading to college in 9 days so my money flow is dwindling haha.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 19:51:35 »
I don't mind the wait at all, there is already too many key sets and keyboards that I'm planning on purchasing already. I'm heading to college in 9 days so my money flow is dwindling haha.

For Steezus: Oh-no, what about FO: Series III? Feel free to PM me any response.

---

For Data, this set still looks fabulous! Row 3 is the way to be!

:thumb: