Author Topic: [IC] CU65 - GB IS LIVE!  (Read 55111 times)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Re: [IC] CU65 - GB Launches 01-12-2019 - £135/$140
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 12:55:53 »
Yes for this round the case and footbar will be the same colour, I am just saying that in the future we might release some different colour foot bars that can be sold separatley etc. and they would look best with black.

This sounds very interesting! Have you considered selling narrower footbars that would make the typing angle less than 8 degrees? I joined the CU80 GB, but I'm a bit worried that 8 degrees is too steep (I really like 5 degrees) and I'll have to replace the footbar with thick bumpons.

Yes definitely! Once we have established the keyboards I want to add custom footbars (colours, heights, material etc) so people can swap foot bars in and out.

Let's say for example you get a blue keycap set, hopefully there will be the option to purchase a blue footbar.   

Offline Techichi

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 07:58:01 »
Following and looking forward to seeing the prototype.

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 07:31:11 »
For around how long will the gb run?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 07:34:05 by zakatak »

Offline deLEES

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 07:47:33 »
Yes for this round the case and footbar will be the same colour, I am just saying that in the future we might release some different colour foot bars that can be sold separatley etc. and they would look best with black.

This sounds very interesting! Have you considered selling narrower footbars that would make the typing angle less than 8 degrees? I joined the CU80 GB, but I'm a bit worried that 8 degrees is too steep (I really like 5 degrees) and I'll have to replace the footbar with thick bumpons.

:thumb: for the different height footbars to support different typing angles. Especially if you already plan on offering different colours.

Offline lookid

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 16:05:45 »
This board looks very simple and aesthetic, I love design.
And price :p

Two questions: where is location of type-c connection and which hot-swap sockets you used?
VB

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 13:05:54 »
Interested in buying this if it comes in an ANSI version with split backspace, would use it with 0 degree typing angle (few options for that exist so if you split the backspace I'm really VERY interested :D)

The gray works well with the design I think. I think I'd choose that even if black were an alternative option, but black would also be good.

Offline hgk

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 13:20:04 »
I would be interested in dark gray and e-white versions.

Offline icequbed

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 19:03:16 »
Very excited. This will be my first GB and my first DIY keyboard - and this is my first post here! Definitely buying.

Offline Belvin

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 12:49:57 »
Definitely on board for the black version, think that has best compatibility with keycaps and setups in general.

Offline gaytore123

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 21:30:39 »
Is there an option for solderable pcb or are they all hotswap only?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 06:28:02 »

Two questions: where is location of type-c connection and which hot-swap sockets you used?

1. Right side.
2. Kalih hot-swap sockets.

Interested in buying this if it comes in an ANSI version with split backspace, would use it with 0 degree typing angle (few options for that exist so if you split the backspace I'm really VERY interested :D )

The gray works well with the design I think. I think I'd choose that even if black were an alternative option, but black would also be good.

Happy to say that the board now features split backspace; the board supports ISO and ANSI layouts. You will receive two rubber feet meaning that you will be able to use the board with a 0degree angle.

Very excited. This will be my first GB and my first DIY keyboard - and this is my first post here! Definitely buying.

Thank you! :D

The CU65 PCB will be hot-swap only in this GB.   

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:45:41 »
Awesome, so happy about the split backspace :D! Will only a limited quantity be available or will I definitely be able to get one?

If there are color options I might even think about getting 2, but 1 for sure! With split backspace this is my dream 65%!

Offline NerdyBiker

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:38:35 »
I kind of liked the grey, but would think a dark grey would also fit. The black with that current set looks a bit odd to me. Maybe pictures of the actual prototype will look better but wasn't a fan of the black render.

If everything is standard sizing then the colour isn't too bad if it goes well with other sets, but if it's an unusual sizing it means higher chance some people are going to stick with the stock set in which case you'd want them to go well together.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:46:46 »
Definitely on board for the black version, think that has best compatibility with keycaps and setups in general.

Yeah you can't really go wrong with blacks or greys for cases if you don't have a specific cap set you're trying to match it too.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:52:50 »

1. Right side.

Interested in buying this if it comes in an ANSI version with split backspace, would use it with 0 degree typing angle (few options for that exist so if you split the backspace I'm really VERY interested :D )

Happy to say that the board now features split backspace; the board supports ISO and ANSI layouts. You will receive two rubber feet meaning that you will be able to use the board with a 0degree angle.

Split BS for sure, count me in for one for sure!

Offline honoka

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 10:40:55 »
I kind of liked the grey, but would think a dark grey would also fit. The black with that current set looks a bit odd to me. Maybe pictures of the actual prototype will look better but wasn't a fan of the black render.

If everything is standard sizing then the colour isn't too bad if it goes well with other sets, but if it's an unusual sizing it means higher chance some people are going to stick with the stock set in which case you'd want them to go well together.

The caps in the render are not included

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 06:50:48 »
Awesome, so happy about the split backspace :D ! Will only a limited quantity be available or will I definitely be able to get one?

If there are color options I might even think about getting 2, but 1 for sure! With split backspace this is my dream 65%!

There is no limit - thanks for your support! :)

1. Right side.

Split BS for sure, count me in for one for sure!

Thanks for the support! 

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 06:57:40 »
We are hoping to receive the prototype around 19th/20th November; I will upload images as soon as it arrives.

If you are interested in joining the group buy don't forget to sign up to the CU65 mailing list to receive £5 off when the group buy goes live. Click the link below to join.

https://caps-unlocked.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=b204dbea465ea9678152cddc2&id=9a83802c77

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 09:43:56 »
We are hoping to receive the prototype around 19th/20th November; I will upload images as soon as it arrives.

If you are interested in joining the group buy don't forget to sign up to the CU65 mailing list to receive £5 off when the group buy goes live. Click the link below to join.

https://caps-unlocked.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=b204dbea465ea9678152cddc2&id=9a83802c77

Between the already awesome pricing, giving £5 off on top of that for those who sign up to mailing list really puts the icing on the cake. Thank you CU! Can't wait for this TBH as I've been wanting to get a hotswap board for testing new switches for quite awhile now, but never could find one that really met my needs. The 60% HS PCBS that offer tsangan support were close, but 65% is my favorite FF so this checks all the boxes for me now!
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2019, 18:36:55 by Rob27shred »

Offline Techichi

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 16:06:32 »

Between the already awesome pricing, giving £5 off on top of that for those who sign up to mailing list really puts the icing on the cake. Thank you CU! Can't wait for this TBH as I've been wanting to get a hotswap board for testing new switches for quite awhile now, but never could find one that really meet my needs. The 60% HS PCBS that offer tsangan support were close, but 65% is my favorite FF so this checks all the boxes for me now!

Nice. That's a great idea.

I'm getting one to build with the kids. They get some experience and a sweet gaming keeb. If my wallet survives my latest endeavor I may get one for myself to test switches on as well.  :thumb:

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 16:42:22 »
Damn I was really hoping for E-white. I LOVE the minimal design of this case.

Any chance for a round 2 in the future with more color options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 18:40:22 »

Between the already awesome pricing, giving £5 off on top of that for those who sign up to mailing list really puts the icing on the cake. Thank you CU! Can't wait for this TBH as I've been wanting to get a hotswap board for testing new switches for quite awhile now, but never could find one that really meet my needs. The 60% HS PCBS that offer tsangan support were close, but 65% is my favorite FF so this checks all the boxes for me now!

Nice. That's a great idea.

I'm getting one to build with the kids. They get some experience and a sweet gaming keeb. If my wallet survives my latest endeavor I may get one for myself to test switches on as well.  :thumb:

I gotta say your ideal of grabbing one for the kids as starter project & gaming board is a good one too. At $140 & being hotswapable so they find a switch they like it is kinda perfect for that. Also it's actually gonna be pretty high quality from all I can see, no GMMK or overpriced MD Ctrl/Alt.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:13:10 »
Would you be less likely to purchase this if it didn't have Per Key SMD RGB LEDs?

Over the past few days I have become less confident that we will be able to add them despite aHollands best efforts. I am working with him to see if we can add them but at this moment I am considering removing them and lowering the price (new price has not been decided but the decrease will be about 5-10£).

This does not affect the CU80, that PCB will feature per key SMD RGB LEDs as mentioned during the GB.

Before I remove them from the CU65 completely I wanted to know whether this would be the deciding factor for those of you whom are interested in purchasing a kit. Please let me know!

Offline Belvin

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:18:13 »
Would you be less likely to purchase this if it didn't have Per Key SMD RGB LEDs?

Over the past few days I have become less confident that we will be able to add them despite aHollands best efforts. I am working with him to see if we can add them but at this moment I am considering removing them and lowering the price (new price has not been decided but the decrease will be about 5-10£).

This does not affect the CU80, that PCB will feature per key SMD RGB LEDs as mentioned during the GB.

Before I remove them from the CU65 completely I wanted to know whether this would be the deciding factor for those of you whom are interested in purchasing a kit. Please let me know!

Sounds fine to me, not particularly bothered, good to have it a bit cheaper as well. I do have a question though, will there be some more exotic switch options this time? Assuming the GB is similar to the CU80.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:21:05 »

Sounds fine to me, not particularly bothered, good to have it a bit cheaper as well. I do have a question though, will there be some more exotic switch options this time? Assuming the GB is similar to the CU80.

Thanks for the feedback!

Which switches would you like to see? I am happy to add any switches as long as I can get supply from a reliable source at a good price. :) 

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:31:56 »
I'd phrase it like this: If there was an option with the LEDs and one without, and the one with was 5-10£ more expensive, I'd probably buy the version with them. But for me it's definitely not a deciding factor and I will get this keyboard either way. I don't typically use LEDs anyway.

The option for 0 deg angle, the high profile design and the split backspace (edit: SUPPORT for this, the kb has both y'all) are the deciding factors for me, in case you care.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:38:41 by stoffelduss »

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:10:32 »
I'm certainly not fussed about LEDs pet switch. If your looking for suggestions for switches I'd love some Zilents

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Belvin

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:25:08 »

Thanks for the feedback!

Which switches would you like to see? I am happy to add any switches as long as I can get supply from a reliable source at a good price. :)

I agree with the Zilents! As well as maybe Zealios v2 and Gateron Inks. Gaterons are probably easier to get hold of to be fair.

Offline honoka

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:45:40 »
Don't care for per switch leds. I would rather see a lower price.

Would like to see Tealios or Healios options for bundling with switches.

Offline Oni74

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 20:42:01 »
I'm ok with no SMD LED, but the split backspace killed it for me. =\

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 21:59:13 »
I'd phrase it like this: If there was an option with the LEDs and one without, and the one with was 5-10£ more expensive, I'd probably buy the version with them. But for me it's definitely not a deciding factor and I will get this keyboard either way. I don't typically use LEDs anyway.

The option for 0 deg angle, the high profile design and the split backspace are the deciding factors for me, in case you care.

I'm certainly not fussed about LEDs pet switch. If your looking for suggestions for switches I'd love some Zilents

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with the Zilents! As well as maybe Zealios v2 and Gateron Inks. Gaterons are probably easier to get hold of to be fair.

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely look into adding more switches!

The CU65 now supports split backspace. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 22:00:52 by CAPS UNLOCKED »

Offline lookid

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:26:19 »
Like high-pro, very nice.
SMD LEDs? Doesn't matter, I never use backlight in my board, so better without it.

But ANSI and full backspace - absolutely necessary.
If it will be only split backspace with hot-swap and no full backspace option... I don't think I'll buy it.
VB

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:33:36 »
Like high-pro, very nice.
SMD LEDs? Doesn't matter, I never use backlight in my board, so better without it.

But ANSI and full backspace - absolutely necessary.
If it will be only split backspace with hot-swap and no full backspace option... I don't think I'll buy it.

ANSI and ISO are supported and there will be support for both split and full backspace.   

Offline honoka

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:54:25 »
this is gonna be lit  :D

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 05:07:13 »
this is gonna be lit  :D

Thanks for the support! :D   

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 05:08:05 »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 06:50:00 »
the form is... suboptimal lol. why exactly 3 options? yes I would not be interested in the keyboard if it was low profile, but saying it's one of the main features feels also weird. it being aluminum is also not really related to it being high profile. if this point said "case design" then I'd select it, because 0 angle supporting, simple, high profile is what I'm looking for.
split backspace is also just one of the things about the layout that I care about. I would not be interested if the keyboard had a stepped caps, or a function row, or only supported a 7u spacebar and not a 6.25u spacebar and I feel about split backspace the same way, if it's supported, it's just all around the right 65% layout for me. pls make the split version of the backspace keys the ones that have the correct alignment btw :P

anyway I'd select all options except for the LEDs :) and except for ISO >:{

why a question about pcb mount switches support btw, why would you not support them?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 07:07:46 »
the form is... suboptimal lol. why exactly 3 options? yes I would not be interested in the keyboard if it was low profile, but saying it's one of the main features feels also weird. it being aluminum is also not really related to it being high profile. if this point said "case design" then I'd select it, because 0 angle supporting, simple, high profile is what I'm looking for.
split backspace is also just one of the things about the layout that I care about. I would not be interested if the keyboard had a stepped caps, or a function row, or only supported a 7u spacebar and not a 6.25u spacebar and I feel about split backspace the same way, if it's supported, it's just all around the right 65% layout for me. pls make the split version of the backspace keys the ones that have the correct alignment btw :p

why a question about pcb mount switches support btw, why would you not support them?

The form is mostly about the RGB LEDs and I wanted to see how sought after they actually were in comparison to the other features. 

Feedback has been really clear and it seems that most of the people on GH and the CU65 newsletter are not too bothered about RGB.

Offline Louwii

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 10:40:30 »
I'm curious about the problem with the RGB backlight. Is that a software issue or hardware? I read that QMK support for RGB backlight is not great.

I filled up the form, I would buy without RGB backlight. I was interested in it though as I don't have any board with it right now. I was curious to try it.

Offline Oni74

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 12:52:45 »

The option for 0 deg angle, the high profile design and the split backspace are the deciding factors for me, in case you care.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely look into adding more switches!

The CU65 now supports split backspace. :)

[edit - i was in a rush and removed too much text previously; re-added for completeness]

I do not want split backspace. Do you mean there'll still be a hotswap PCB with 2u backspace? [Also addressed in a previous post by OP]

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2019, 15:36:16 by Oni74 »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 12:58:29 »

The CU65 now supports split backspace.
:)

I do not want split backspace. Do you mean there'll still be a hotswap PCB with 2u backspace?

Yes, the CU65 supports both split and full size spacebar.   

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 12:43:46 »

Before I get too excited, I assume you meant backspace, right?

Offline honoka

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 13:17:39 »

Keep it in your pants, it's backspace :D

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:09:45 »

Keep it in your pants, it's backspace :D

Yes, sorry for the mistake - it's split-backspace!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:10:50 »
Prototype shipped today and should be arriving on Thursday (assuming no delays)! I aim to post images on Friday!  :D

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 14:13:35 »
Looking forward to seeing the prototype. This has got "early Xmas present to myself" written all over it

Offline Oni74

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 22:19:15 »
split backspace is also just one of the things about the layout that I care about. I would not be interested if the keyboard had a stepped caps, or a function row, or only supported a 7u spacebar and not a 6.25u spacebar and I feel about split backspace the same way, if it's supported, it's just all around the right 65% layout for me. pls make the split version of the backspace keys the ones that have the correct alignment btw :p

The form is mostly about the RGB LEDs and I wanted to see how sought after they actually were in comparison to the other features. 

Feedback has been really clear and it seems that most of the people on GH and the CU65 newsletter are not too bothered about RGB.

Just about every keyboard GB i'd joined recently that had SMD LED PCB had some degree of issues with the LEDs. Given the minimalistic, no-frills design philosphy of CU65, keeping it simple feels like the right path.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 08:32:04 »

Just about every keyboard GB i'd joined recently that had SMD LED PCB had some degree of issues with the LEDs. Given the minimalistic, no-frills design philosphy of CU65, keeping it simple feels like the right path.

Thanks for the support, sorry to hear about your other boards!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 08:33:16 »
CU65 Prototype arrived today!  :D

230462-0

Offline honoka

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 10:49:28 »
woop! it looks very clean. how would you say that the finish is? does the case and plate have to be the same color?