Author Topic: KeyCon Chicago plans?  (Read 173093 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: KeyCon Chicago plans?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:26:19 »

note: not because of the dorkvader, but because of the cold

LOOK, I CAN'T TOLERATE TEMPERATURES < 73f or > 78f OK!?!?  IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Bah, come to Montreal in February, it's just like 73f, but convert it in Celsius and add a minus sign in front of it  :))  Almost the same uh uh

Show Image

Minnesota. -40F. Nuff said.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:34:34 »

LOOK, I CAN'T TOLERATE TEMPERATURES < 73f or > 78f OK!?!?  IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?
You're an east coaster now?!?!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline geniekid

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:54:24 »
Just because there are places in the world where it's -70F mean temperature doesn't mean 20F isn't cold.  Chicago is a lot more enjoyable when it's warm outside!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 06:19:17 »

The wbest coast kicked him out, and the third coast wouldn't accept him, so he had to resort to the least coast.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:31:48 »

The wbest coast kicked him out, and the third coast wouldn't accept him, so he had to resort to the least coast.

oooooo Freezer Buuurrrnnnnn
c h e r

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:53:22 »
Wtf, I want to futon :(

If you want you can crash on my living room couch, but only if you dry esoomenona after he showers.

I can do that. Moose and I have had many other adventures and this wouldn't be anything too outrageous :P.

I can't wait to hear about you experiencing your first winter :))

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:20:27 »

If you want you can crash on my living room couch, but only if you dry esoomenona after he showers.

I can do that. Moose and I have had many other adventures and this wouldn't be anything too outrageous :P.

it's just going to be a lot of swearing.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:30:39 »

I can do that. Moose and I have had many other adventures and this wouldn't be anything too outrageous :p .

it's just going to be a lot of swearing.

While it's true that a really cold day is not pleasant at all, those are rare usually. The key is to wear good clothes and prioritize efficiency over the look! If you wear good clothes, it should be enjoyable. Also, if you don't have "real" winter clothes because you don't need them where you live, at least make sure to have an outer shell that stops the wind and then use layers of clothes depending on the actual weather to keep you hot. And wear boots and/or at least good socks.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:17:44 »
I would like to attend Chicago Keycon. Look forward to hearing when it wi be. Should plan when Keycon West will be at same time since so much of this is relative to each other.. GH has made this big enough I think the planning is warranted.

I could even visit an ex-girlfriend out there...but that would probably end very poorly. LOL
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:59:52 »
Hey, I found some pics of my trip to Chicago last May:

Whoopsy doodle.

Fun times.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:07:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

Whoopsy doodle.

Show Image

Fun times.

Hey!  Chicago didn't look anything like that this May.  I was there for a conference and it was beautiful outside, until the day that it rained from like 6/7 PM until noon the next day.
Gotta collect them all

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:12:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Whoopsy doodle.

Show Image

Fun times.

Hey!  Chicago didn't look anything like that this May.  I was there for a conference and it was beautiful outside, until the day that it rained from like 6/7 PM until noon the next day.

Hmm, maybe I was there in early May?  Also it rains everyday in Chicago from 6 pm until noon the next day, so that was normal.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:36:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Whoopsy doodle.

Show Image

Fun times.

Hmm, maybe I was there in early May?  Also it rains everyday in Chicago from 6 pm until noon the next day, so that was normal.

I was told there would be wind... All I got was rained on :(
Gotta collect them all

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:23:05 »

I would like to attend Chicago Keycon. Look forward to hearing when it wi be. Should plan when Keycon West will be at same time since so much of this is relative to each other.. GH has made this big enough I think the planning is warranted.

I could even visit an ex-girlfriend out there...but that would probably end very poorly. LOL

I'll be your ex-girlfriend for the weekend, bb. Come visit me.  :-*

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:33:37 »

Geekhack love

And I'll bring Demik...Geekwhacking a 2,200 mile road trip.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:35:41 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:52:35 »

I need an adult!  :eek:
c h e r

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 17:12:36 »
The more snow the better, I say.  We should go sledding!

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 17:42:14 »

OOOOooooooo I barely got to sled as a child, growing up in Kirkland. The snow didn't usually last long enough to ride down, or it would rain and get covered and ice and no one wanted to play in that crap.
c h e r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:02:36 »

OOOOooooooo I barely got to sled as a child, growing up in Kirkland. The snow didn't usually last long enough to ride down, or it would rain and get covered and ice and no one wanted to play in that crap.

We've got some nice hills in the Kettle Moraine area of southeast Wisconsin, you guys should come up and play!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:26:43 »
given this discussion about snow, keycon west might be better placed during the winter so that midwest and east coasters can get out of their horrible snow-covered hovels and go somewhere nice for a change.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:33:12 »

I think this is a good idea. We could have video conferencing between sites on big projectors so it would be like everyone is in the same room together.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:39:26 »
Many trade shows and conferences are in "hot" spots in the winter (Miami, Las Vegas, etc) and "cold" locations on the summer (Chicago, Denver, etc)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:03:22 »

We've got some nice hills in the Kettle Moraine area of southeast Wisconsin, you guys should come up and play!

oooooo sounds lovely
c h e r

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:08:03 »
Regardless of final location and time confirmation, I think GH and GH meet ups/Keycons are going to be evolving. Some behind-the-scenes long term planning for the continued growth, and making these possibly "more available" or perhaps forming "chapters". Food for thought.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:12:21 »
given this discussion about snow, keycon west might be better placed during the winter so that midwest and east coasters can get out of their horrible snow-covered hovels and go somewhere nice for a change.

...might as well go all out and do Keycon Cancun.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:21:41 »

Keycon Dallas in summer plox. (loljk)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:28:14 »
Should build a 40 foot motor home outfitted with keyboard displays, and the Keycon Girls going from city to city.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 06:59:14 »

Keycon Dallas in summer plox. (loljk)

Keycon at Quakecon?
Gotta collect them all

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 07:23:42 »

Keycon USA so played out. 2015 Keycon international. Let's bring GHCSGO to dream hack

Yes! geniekid and I have the same idea :D.

Regardless of final location and time confirmation, I think GH and GH meet ups/Keycons are going to be evolving. Some behind-the-scenes long term planning for the continued growth, and making these possibly "more available" or perhaps forming "chapters". Food for thought.

I don't know. Outside of Keycons, it's hard to get other meetups going. Just look at how hard it is to get an East Coast/NYC meetup together. At the moment, it seems like there will be 5-6 people at the MechanicalKeyboards.com/Nashville meetup. I thought there would be more people interested in that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 07:25:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:31:16 »
I guess being the the SF bay area, there is a higher interest, more people, and higher geek factor. Even meet ups are pretty rad.

Knowing this info makes me not want to move from the area :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:32:30 »
I think it's more of the concentration of GHers there and good public transit. But there seems to be a general higher interest.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:59:14 »
I think it's more of the concentration of GHers there and good public transit. But there seems to be a general higher interest.

Yea, you should move here.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:03:12 »

I don't know. Outside of Keycons, it's hard to get other meetups going. Just look at how hard it is to get an East Coast/NYC meetup together. At the moment, it seems like there will be 5-6 people at the MechanicalKeyboards.com/Nashville meetup. I thought there would be more people interested in that.

I was really trying hard to make it to that one, but I'm helping my brother move in that timeframe, and with the cost for me to get to Hoff's meetup, I can only afford to do that one for now.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:11:36 »

Keycon USA so played out. 2015 Keycon international. Let's bring GHCSGO to dream hack

Traveling for meetups just seems frivolous when there are keycons. It costs money to travel!
c h e r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:15:23 »

Traveling for meetups just seems frivolous when there are keycons. It costs money to travel!

When has that ever stopped us??  :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:17:30 »

That's why you earn money, to live your life and do what you want!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:17:40 »

Fun fact: Keycon is a Geekhack meetup with a fun name. It seems more people are attracted by said fun name and subforum.

Another fun fact: This site is called Wallethack for a reason.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:20:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:25:59 »

I guess for me it's a big undertaking. :/
c h e r

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:01:31 »
Keyboard Illuminati chapters?

Count me in.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:16:15 »

You guys have hovels?  You lucky bastards.  I wish I could find an affordable hovel in this town.  I live in a sub-hovel that I share with 3 room-mates.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:01:34 »

You guys have hovels?  You lucky bastards.  I wish I could find an affordable hovel in this town.  I live in a sub-hovel that I share with 3 room-mates.

What about those of us crazy bastards that enjoy the snow?  I actually ride my bike and do more grilling in the winter than the summer.  I also like to make and eat chili in the summer and eat way more ice cream in the winter as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:09:31 »

Bah, come to Montreal in February, it's just like 73f, but convert it in Celsius and add a minus sign in front of it  :))  Almost the same uh uh

So I'm less than 3 hours from Montreal and I've always wanted to come visit for winter carnival.

We should do a GH meetup then too. I have a "few" keyboards I can bring if you want. I know a lot of GHers live up in the montreal / laval area.

Wallethack is so unfair.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:14:19 by dorkvader »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:16:09 »
If anyone else is interested, I am thinking of taking this train:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/744/819/City-of-New-Orleans-Schedule-060914.pdf

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 11:14:50 »
It's about a 7-hour drive to get there but I'd probably go.

Because keyboards and Michigan Avenue.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:17:57 »
It's about a 7-hour drive to get there but I'd probably go.

Because keyboards and Michigan Avenue.

I had to look this up.  This is exciting because of all the stores?  Just curious what I'm missing out on by not going there.  :D

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:30:51 »
Yes!

There's much more high-fashion and hip clothing stores than you'd find at other midwestern malls, say, the Mall of America (which gets boring when you live close to it).  ;)

It's definitely fun to walk around at least once!
-a petty thief

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:32:13 »
I enjoyed all the swag on Michigan Ave :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:38:54 »
Yes!

There's much more high-fashion and hip clothing stores than you'd find at other midwestern malls, say, the Mall of America (which gets boring when you live close to it).  ;)

It's definitely fun to walk around at least once!

Got it.  I'm not big on this "high-fashion" thing, so that's no big deal to me.  And I only went to MoA once in the four years I lived in Minneapolis, so there's that.  :P

I'd be willing to check it out though.  :)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:44:50 »
I need to make a new t-shirt design soon...or maybe perhaps something other than t-shirts. :]

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 14:06:41 »
I just can't help myself around there, especially at Zara.

Some of it is just fun to look at, and depending on when Keycon is there may not be any amazing seasonal sales going on.

What I'd really like to see at Keycon are the bonkers Kustoms and 60% cases.
-a petty thief