Author Topic: How to contribute to the Wiki  (Read 75067 times)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
How to contribute to the Wiki
« on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 14:31:09 »
We are still working out how to manage the Wiki.  We'd love to make it completely open, but that is impossible for reasons that many are likely to be aware of.  For now we've setup a special, open name space for anyone to contribute articles and edits.  Once an contributer feels that an article is ready to be published in the main wiki, please post about it in this forum and we will move or copy it over.  Frequent contributers may receive rights to edit and manage the main wiki pages as well.

To create an article in the incoming name space, just prefix "Incoming:" to the article title that you wish to use in the search box.  If there isn't an article by that name, you will have the opportunity to make one.  If there is, you will be able to edit it.  For example, to start an article titled "ClickClack", you would type "Incoming:ClickClack" into the wiki search bar.

Feel free to start a thread here at any point along the way to provide a link, show off your work, get feedback, etc. 

As with everything on the new site, we are still tweaking things and are open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 July 2012, 14:48:26 by rknize »
Russ

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 15:00:37 »
So what your saying is ripster fu€ked this up for everyone?
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: How to contribute to the Wiki
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 15:03:11 »
So what your saying is ripster fu€ked this up for everyone?

-_-

Going to try this out.

Thanks
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 15:40:35 »
So then there will be no categories, templates, other namespaces?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:24:06 »
We'll add them as needed.
Russ

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:29:48 »
Seeing what happened to the last wiki, and what happened to ripster, I'm not really hot on adding content.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:43:04 »
Be specific and we can address your concerns.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:48:14 »
I don't trust the wiki's lifetime and I don't trust the GH staff to give me some options over the content I put on this site if I ever get into some sort of trouble with the staff.

I also don't like the closeness of the wiki, with the whole needs to be trusted before editting thing. And I don't like the fact that the information is split over multiple sites.

I'm sorry to say this, but to me the DT wiki is just a lot more appealing, for the reasons I just mentionned.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 17:13:44 »
Regarding the "closedness", this is something that we are still working out.  It was wide open at the start and trouble started immediately.  The model we have now is to get things going.

I don't really understand your other concerns, but that is your choice.
Russ

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 17:18:46 »
Yea I am also concerned about the closed nature of the new wikis and frankly that defeats the purpose of a wiki.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 17:29:57 »
I think we all agree with that.  There are other options with MW that we are exploring.
Russ

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 18:23:32 »
what's the reservation?  Mediawiki allows users to do a lot and they don't have to be sysop. 
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 20:18:02 »
I don't trust the wiki's lifetime and I don't trust the GH staff to give me some options over the content I put on this site if I ever get into some sort of trouble with the staff.

I also don't like the closeness of the wiki, with the whole needs to be trusted before editting thing. And I don't like the fact that the information is split over multiple sites.

I'm sorry to say this, but to me the DT wiki is just a lot more appealing, for the reasons I just mentionned.

Then feel free not to contribute.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 20:43:43 »
I agree - a wiki will never grow if we have to create a new topic here to upload an image or a new topic here to create a new page or a new page in a namespace other than Main in hopes that it gets promoted to a real page - wikis are supposed to be open

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 20:52:52 »
As I've stated, we ultimately want to make it as open as possible.  We are still doing a lot of work on various parts of the site behind the scenes.  For now, this is what we have.
Russ