Author Topic: Feedback Thread for Simple Questions Simple Answers  (Read 49259 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Feedback Thread for Simple Questions Simple Answers
« on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 20:31:18 »
I was overhauling the Simple Question Simple Answers thread and found some deficiencies in it.

So we'll keep this simple, what do you think should be added to the thread? What should be in the FAQ? What can I improve on? Are there any questions/answers in the FAQ you'd like modified?

Please post your thoughts, comments, and ideas here :D.

Oh and if you're wondering why this is in Post Wiki Workshop? This is where I like to put stuff that's for the future Wiki. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the Simple Questions thread to the new Wiki when it comes.

Please remember that the thread is my own personal project and didn't exist until recently. I'm trying my best to support it as I see fit for the community. Obviously it cannot be perfect, all mistakes are my own, and this thread will only improve the thread. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:43:46 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jacobolus

Re: Feedback Thread for Simple Questions Simple Answers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:30:24 »
I find the simple questions thread too big and unwieldy to find previous answers to questions (with the FAQ at the beginning not really comprehensive enough), and too fast-moving to really pay attention to. Is it mainly expected that there will be lots of duplicate questions/answers in there? If so, then I guess it’s working as intended.

I definitely think there could be a better format for an FAQ page than just a forum post. In particular, the questions could be better organized into sections/pages, with easier navigation between them. Also, the inconsistent formatting between purple text, quotations, random bold bits, etc. makes skimming the questions & answers a bit distracting.

Where you want feedback about the specific FAQ items? In this thread, or back there?

One thing I’d recommend, w/r/t doing google searches, is using the search string: "(site:geekhack.org OR site:deskthority.net) some search terms ...", since often there are relevant Deskthority threads about particular keyboards that haven’t been mentioned on geekhack.

inre "What is the actual measurement of a 6x or 6u spacebar?": it’s worth pointing out that the 19.05mm (0.75") measurement is for the distance between key centers, not the width of the keycaps themselves. For instance, SP 1x keycaps are 0.725" (18.42 mm) wide, so I’d guess that a 6x keycap would be 19.05 * 5 + 18.42 mm wide, or in other words, about 113.67 mm wide by 18.42 mm tall, though I don’t have any SP spacebars to measure directly.

Instead of just "What is a Moogle kit? What is a Tsangan kit?" It would be nice to have a page showing all of the various arrangements of bottom-row mods that we can find, along with the keyboards they come from, since many currently-available keyboards don’t match those 2 types. [Also, such a page should explain where the names 'moogle' and 'tsangan' come from.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:52:00 by jacobolus »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:35:45 »
I find the simple questions thread too big and unwieldy to find previous answers to questions (with the FAQ at the beginning not really comprehensive enough), and too fast-moving to really pay attention to.

+1

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 02:09:28 »
like jacobolus the FAQ is simple,make FAQ simpler :))

1.Keyboards
Q: Is there a list of 60%/75%/Compact Keyboards/TKL?
A: Yes, mashby created this great list. Also there’s a great list on the reddit Wiki

2.Keycaps
Q: What is a Click Clack keycap (or a Clack/CC)?
A: Check out the Clack Info Thread and Clack Wiki article. You can also check out the Post your Clacks thread and ClackFactory's 4Grabs thread.

Etc.

Just suggestion ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 02:22:06 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:44:07 »
Sorry I ****ed up. Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:49:21 by findingthelimit »
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:58:33 »
Where you want feedback about the specific FAQ items? In this thread, or back there?

Here. That's why this thread is called the feedback thread.

I find the simple questions thread too big and unwieldy to find previous answers to questions (with the FAQ at the beginning not really comprehensive enough), and too fast-moving to really pay attention to. Is it mainly expected that there will be lots of duplicate questions/answers in there? If so, then I guess it’s working as intended.

Yes it's mainly to stop the duplicate answers/questions. It's not meant to be an FAQ about keyboards in general, but a literal list of frequently asked questions in the thread. Are you suggesting that the FAQs should be updated more? Or how would you like to combat the issue of the size and unwieldy-ness?

I definitely think there could be a better format for an FAQ page than just a forum post. In particular, the questions could be better organized into sections/pages, with easier navigation between them. Also, the inconsistent formatting between purple text, quotations, random bold bits, etc. makes skimming the questions & answers a bit distracting.

Instead of a forum post, what would you like to see the thread as? A forum post and a separate FAQ? I can change the formatting to be more like what yasuo posted.

And I thought I updated the sections and navigation to be more user friendly. Do you not see it that way? How would you like to see the navigation done?

An explanation as to why it's not in a Wiki somewhere can be found here.

One thing I’d recommend, w/r/t doing google searches, is using the search string: "(site:geekhack.org OR site:deskthority.net) some search terms ...", since often there are relevant Deskthority threads about particular keyboards that haven’t been mentioned on geekhack.

Added Deskthority to the question.

Instead of just "What is a Moogle kit? What is a Tsangan kit?" It would be nice to have a page showing all of the various arrangements of bottom-row mods that we can find, along with the keyboards they come from, since many currently-available keyboards don’t match those 2 types. [Also, such a page should explain where the names 'moogle' and 'tsangan' come from.

I can make a thread with all this info. If you'd like it done sooner, please feel free to make the thread first.

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:02:44 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:34:56 »
One suggestion I have is to put a link to the SQSA thread in the navbar, preferably in between "Wiki" and "Donate".

DT has it, so I think it'd be a good idea.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches