Author Topic: Why you should consider the Deskthority wiki again.  (Read 39918 times)

Offline adevriesc

Why you should consider the Deskthority wiki again.
« on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:30:35 »
I'm a contributor over at the DT wiki and I'd like to extend my opinion.

I think you should scratch the rebuild project and move over to the DT wiki unless you plan on writing exclusively about artisan caps and modern keyboard developments unique to GH and Reddit. Let me explain why... (And I think I speak for DT as a whole, though dual members are welcome to correct me.)

1) You are welcome at DT. We don't expect you to participate in the forums. We don't care about the traffic on our wiki. We simply want to work with you to create the best possible resource for keyboard enthusiasts everywhere. Hell, you might even educate *us* in the process. We know, relative to you, little about custom caps and other new developments that have taken the market by storm. Someday what you're doing will be keyboard history, and I think that's valuable.

2) Using the DT wiki would serve the entire keyboard community by bringing people together. I, for one, don't like the tension and lack of cooperation that seems to be the status quo. A team project could be a step in the right direction.

3) The DT wiki is already there. There will inevitably be some repeated pages if you continue this project. There already are, though you only have 4 pages (see "Cherry"). It would also solidify the knowledge base in one location, which would be convenient in terms of searches.

4) There is no logical reason why the DT wiki cannot meet the needs of both our communities. That argument is massively, completely, and utterly invalid. Does Wikipedia meet the needs of worldwide communities ranging from academics to garbage men? Absolutely. Why can't the DT wiki do the same?

Frankly... I'd like to see some of the lively "maker" spirit at GH documented in the DT wiki.

Thank you for considering my opinion. If you still believe that making your own wiki is best, kudos and best of luck.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Why you should consider the Deskthority wiki again.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:37:36 »
It is still important to have multiple resources to refer to.
As someone who is fond of the social sciences such as history, you can't just be content with a single source of information.

It's exhausting to have to tell people something so essential about the word of information.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:46:21 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:41:52 »
I agree with frostytoast!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:45:48 »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:46:53 »
I don't understand why it's that big of a deal for geekhack to revive it's wiki. Even if there is some repetition it isn't all that bad. The focus was to just have the core information down of when it comes to mechanical keyboards, such as switches. While DT is heavily focused on Vintage boards, geekhack is generally more focused on customization. Artisans, customs, etc. have a good amount of popularity yet there is little to none information about them on DT.

Last time I went on DT I was accused of being apart of a "omnipresent cult of death". :))
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:47:31 »
Show Image

I have to agree on this

What about 2 forums into 1 website! Damn that would be awesome!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:50:43 »
I love the Deskthority wiki and use it as my go-to encyclopedia for all keyboard things.

I don't think of gh and dt having different wikis as sources; they're wikis and should be considered first stops for general knowledge.
I think having it in one locale makes it less confusing, too. When I find a couple or a few wikis on the same hobby I personally find it confusing and will most likely not revisit one frequently. This means that I may miss other wealthy articles that are descriptively detailed.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:54:06 »
I agree with you all in some ways, but I disagree in others.

I think having multiple sources is more important than having multiple resources in a collaborative environment like the internet.

If we were speaking about books, primary sources, and/or academic articles it would be one thing. Bias regularly plays a role in those works. We're talking about a wiki -- there is much less bias due to the distributed nature of contributors' knowledge and edits.

It isn't a big deal for you to revive your wiki, nor would I ever suggest the two forums merging. There's a reason why they split.

What I am suggesting, however, is an efficient way of doing things. Our collective knowledge base would be advanced much faster if our efforts were combined.

As to the "omnipresent cult of death..." Damn, that's an amusing insult. I don't think you should take that as a representation of the DT forum, though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:54:31 »
Is the GH wiki being revived?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:56:46 »
The GH wiki never recovered from the R00twormening of 2012. It's pretty skeletal.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:00:38 »
As to the "omnipresent cult of death..." Damn, that's an amusing insult. I don't think you should take that as a representation of the DT forum, though.

I by no means brand DT off of one persons comment, I found it rather funny but also knew that I didn't necessarily belong there. After all my knowledge of vintage boards is lacking, I'm much more focused on customs.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:01:24 »
I see merit to both sides of the argument. Wikipedia is indeed the primary resource of its kind, but there are also countless other wiki sites (many driven by the same MediaWiki engine), dedicated to particular topics. For example, Wookieepedia for Star Wars information that's too obscure for Wikipedia.

Likewise, I think a Geekhack wiki should focus on those aspects of the hobby which make Geekhack unique (customization, "making stuff together," and others which have already been stated in this thread). Then the DT wiki can point back to those topics on the GH wiki rather than get bogged down in the details.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:09:47 »
We wouldn't mind having write ups on customs, brah.

We may modify and adapt vintage keyboards, but many of us use modern keyboards as our daily drivers. We just don't have the energy to document them (or new caps) because our attention is devoted to vintages.

If you plan to focus solely on GH and Reddit developments, devoting your energy to "new" things in the KB world, then you're being equally efficient. But by rehashing keyboard history and knowledge that's already on the DT wiki, such as the force required to actuate Cherry switches, you're simply expending energy to create something that already exists.

I'd rather see ALL your energy be used efficiently to document new developments in the keyboard multiverse.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:10:53 »
I don't see why we can't have both.  I love the DT wiki as a resource, but I'd also like to second that having multiple sources is good.  It would also be nice to have a wiki that is maybe a little less anal about how things are done.

Personally, I'd have a hard time doing anything over with the DT wiki after some experiences I've had. I've had some unpleasant experiences with one of the more vocal wiki people from DT.  I try to share info and help out, but I've had someone PM me some rather aggressive and rude messages because of something that I was ignorant about.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:11:20 »
The GH wiki never recovered from the R00twormening of 2012. It's pretty skeletal.

+1, this seems like a non-issue at this point considering no one is actively working on the gh wiki

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:16:55 »
There are lots of grumpy or blunt people in DT. It's the internet -- I'm sure the same thing will happen inside the GH wiki if it takes off again (like a phoenix rising from the ashes). I've run into a few folks who have been aggressive about their wiki pages. It's mostly been their lack of knowledge as to how wikis work that caused issues -- things usually get sorted out in the wiki talk forum.

I thought there was a small movement here to get it rolling again. I may have been misinformed.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:18:47 »
I do think that documenting the artisan and custom culture we have going here would be an excellent way forward, if we did want to revive the wiki.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:21:40 »
I don't see why we can't have both.  I love the DT wiki as a resource, but I'd also like to second that having multiple sources is good.  It would also be nice to have a wiki that is maybe a little less anal about how things are done.

I agree with this statement. Having multiple resources (like it or not there is a pretty good wiki on reddit) is better for those who are interested in seeing various perspectives or learning about particular aspects of either the community or the hobby.

Ripster's wiki talks about all the drama that neither GH nor DT wants to mention (and yet you do have to know about or other members will give you **** about it). It also has more general knowledge, such as buying guides, spill guides (we all make mistakes XD), and other general information. DT has an amazing database of keyboards, keycaps, and even some artisans.

I think the revitalized GeekHack wiki would good if it focused on the GeekHack community. Most artisan makers started here, there is very good discussion on custom keyboards and group buys. And even if any other information is already covered on /r/MK or DT, it would not hurt to have another resource with that information available.

Be thankful for having more. :/

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:21:55 »
DT's Wiki is good, just link it at the top of GH..No reason to reinvent the wheel. As long as we can all agree US > Euroland. :D

It's like having Google & Yahoo...just use Google, amirite?

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:32:22 »
My only complaint about the Reddit "wiki" is its searchability. Sort of an awkward system.

And, as I said earlier, if the GH wiki focuses solely on "new" developments in the keyboard community it would be an optimal situation.

It just doesn't make sense to have you all do legwork (and your spend time writing) to wikify the same information that's already up on DT.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 21:47:18 »
My only complaint about the Reddit "wiki" is its searchability. Sort of an awkward system.

And, as I said earlier, if the GH wiki focuses solely on "new" developments in the keyboard community it would be an optimal situation.

It just doesn't make sense to have you all do legwork (and your spend time writing) to wikify the same information that's already up on DT.

It's just basic stuff like Cherry switches that will have some shared information. It's just to help a new user who joins the site and looks at the wiki for information. I think it'd be a little odd that there's zero information on the most common switch brand. We're not looking to document every switch out there. The main focus will be what interests members of geekhack such as customs, artisans, keysets, etc.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 21:48:46 »
DT's Wiki is good, just link it at the top of GH..No reason to reinvent the wheel. As long as we can all agree US > Euroland. :D

<---- Huge advocate of Bing

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:02:11 »

Of course we all use Google, but that's only because Yahoo is there to keep Google on their toes. The moment you concede to true monoculture, is the moment you surrender your freedom to choose.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:16:22 »

Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline JBert

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 04:47:19 »
It's just basic stuff like Cherry switches that will have some shared information.

You could always make that page and link to the DeskThority Wiki right?
:ducks:
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 05:43:34 »
Would be awesome to mirror Deskthority's wiki to provide some redundancy (though DT has been far more stable than GH) and contribute all updates to both mirrors.

Given the webmastering of GH though, I don't think it's worth it. If you want a different source, reddit has their own compilation of ripster's imgur albums.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to write an article in wiki form to do it on DT. There's no good reason not to, and they're very nice over there :)
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:04:41 »
Well, you clearly think little of our wiki:

https://deskthority.net/wiki-talk-f33/geekhack-wikia-t12883.html

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:09:24 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:15:49 »

Jeez, the GH bashing in that thread.  I thought people were more mature than that.  Even most of the people here slammed the OP of the idiotic DT bashing thread a while back.

We're less serious than DT.  Their wiki is great, but I like the idea of reviving our wiki if just to reflect our culture in it. 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 15:01:16 »
Thread idea: Who Owns a Wiki?

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 22:42:59 »
Going to the new GH Wikia page and reading first why another Wiki failed is in general a bad idea. And that's why people make fun of it now.

Also I do think a Wiki should be about information, and not culture. You could just make a thread here with all the information about a topic and then stickie it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 22:44:51 by madhias »
... ...

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 08:24:49 »
http://geekhack.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images

You can find this stuff with google anywhere.

Offline JBert

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 14:56:45 »

Jeez, the GH bashing in that thread.  I thought people were more mature than that.  Even most of the people here slammed the OP of the idiotic DT bashing thread a while back.

We're less serious than DT.  Their wiki is great, but I like the idea of reviving our wiki if just to reflect our culture in it.
Am I reading the same thread or has any bashing become rather dull recently?

I read it as "whatever, I hope they're aware how much work it is".
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:16:23 »

Seems pretty playful to me. I'd say their opinion of Geekhack is actually pretty spot-on. Actually that reminds me, I should hang out on DT more..
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:20:57 »
Also as going so far as to edit our wiki page as to why there shouldn't be one.

http://geekhack.wikia.com/wiki/Board:General_Discussion?diff=119

That statement is quite inflammatory. I went to a section of your wiki that was labeled as a forum under general discussion to try and reach the contributors directly.

And yes, we are poking fun at you in our discussion about your wiki. Not that there's much to make fun of at the moment -- a glorious 4 pages, last I checked.  ;) I'm sure there's all sorts of talk about us Deskauthoritarians over here too.

I'm of the school of thought that both DT and GH have brilliant and creative people. You're just a lot more unrestrained -- much like most internet forums. DT has a weird (I'll admit it's weird) environment that doesn't have quite as many shenanigans.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:25:40 »
Also as going so far as to edit our wiki page as to why there shouldn't be one.

http://geekhack.wikia.com/wiki/Board:General_Discussion?diff=119

That statement is quite inflammatory. I went to a section of your wiki that was labeled as a forum under general discussion to try and reach the contributors directly.

And yes, we are poking fun at you in our discussion about your wiki. Not that there's much to make fun of at the moment -- a glorious 4 pages, last I checked.  ;) I'm sure there's all sorts of talk about us Deskauthoritarians over here too.

I'm of the school of thought that both DT and GH have brilliant and creative people. You're just a lot more unrestrained -- much like most internet forums. DT has a weird (I'll admit it's weird) environment that doesn't have quite as many shenanigans.
woah get a load of this ego
alright gh get the drama rolling  :D
edit: there is always that one great character that starts it all
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:28:27 by appleonama »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:25:46 »
If you really want people to contribute to the DT wiki instead of the propose GH wiki, two suggestions:

1.  Make it easier to submit content.

2.  Cut the mocking **** out.  I thought DT and GH were supposed to be cool, not *******s to one another.  Everything I'm seeing so far is just furthering the divide I already felt with some of the total ******* PMs I've received.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 02:04:18 »
Was that referring to my ego? Sometimes I think my id spends far more time in the driver's seat on the internet, if you know what I mean.

Maybe thinking my opinion was worth sharing was ego maniacal... I don't know. I think I've been relatively polite throughout this thread, if a bit blunt. I sincerely thought that by reaching out I could draw communities closer together.

I come from a family where giving each other **** is a part of bonding... Maybe that's why it doesn't strike me as inappropriate.

What suggestions do you have for making content easier to submit? I'd be happy to publicize your ideas, as I can't implement them on my own.

I don't know what negative PMs you've received, nor do I know the story behind them. I do know that some DT members get very pissy about their pet project wiki pages, for the lack of a better term. I've found that not taking it personally and bringing it up in the Wiki talk forum solves most issues in a few hours or so.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 02:30:20 »
Just posted this over in the DT thread about your wiki. I hope it's clear that I'm trying to help and not troll.

"Well, back on topic. I'm waiting for nubbinator to add more to this, but it sounds like there are ways we might improve things here for new contributors. Let me mention some things that I've noticed.

We have a... unique work environment here at times, and it appears that new contributors are quite put off by it. There's a lot of snark and bitter humor at DT that one must have a thick skin to deal with. Coming to this forum when one is used to less pointed jabs is quite shocking.

This isn't some touchy-feely bull**** -- the only reason I handle direct criticism of my writing and my actions so well is because I've been trained to as a professional writer. I've read PMs that weren't particularly helpful or polite, and certain parties were difficult to work with. I'm guilty of bluntness in my communications, if I look at my own messages -- I'm not perfect.

I think the barbed humor and direct, unflinching confrontationalism stems from the culture of our forum. Making the wiki an acultural place which is polite, intentional, and helpful to newcomers would be a good first step toward convincing GHers that it's worth working here.

Instead of directly jumping to criticism, sarcasm, or snark, we might try being inclusive and exceptionally helpful (though criticism has its place). Some users here are that way already, but not everyone keeps their cool all the time. We ain't perfect, but we can try harder to be..."

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 22:41:38 »
Does Wikipedia meet the needs of worldwide communities ranging from academics to garbage men? Absolutely.

I can give you the names of at least 20 professors who think Wikipedia does not satisfy academic requirements.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 09:21:01 »
Of course you can't cite Wikipedia (or even the Deskthority Wiki) in a scientific article.
Wikipedia has a rule that its articles must not contain original research. Like the "previous work" section in a research paper, each fact of information must have a reference source. You don't cite a science article for what is in its "previous work" either - you can cite an article only for the original research that it is in it.

But you can often use the Wiki page as a starting point when looking for more information - by building understanding, learning keywords and by following the references. Then type those keywords and references into a proper article search engine such as CiteSeerX or Google Scholar to find the best articles to cite.

The Deskthority Wiki does also have a rule that info should be referenced, but rules are a bit more lax, and you are allowed to post original keyboard research if you can back it up with photos.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 June 2016, 09:31:23 by Findecanor »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 09:36:59 »
I think it's important for some content that is popping up on GH to be copied to the DT wiki for the purpose of wiki rabbit holing.

Too many times have I dove down 20 layers into the wiki, just because i'm bored.

Having some more interesting maker content could get people more into the technical aspects of making things, When they bounce to a page related to a technique or component in the process they are reading about.

Offline koduh

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:55:31 »
I don't even know where to start here or who to contact but I'd love to help with the Geekhack Wiki. I for a time was attempting to fix the /r/MK wiki but its hopeless with the **** show of a back end Reddit provides.

That being said I went and made a website called KeyboardCatalog.com which is/was supposed to be like the Keypuller.com website that Matt3o had put together.

I have a great interest in 65% keyboards and have made it a point of pride in knowing as much as possible about the 65% boards out there and thus that is the only section of KeyboardCatalog.com that I have really dumped time into.

How do I get involved in the GH Wiki and the DT Wiki?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:30:21 »
How do I get involved in the GH Wiki and the DT Wiki?
On the DT Wiki, it is as easy as creating an account and logging in. Then just start editing.
All changes are logged and you can always go back to a previous version of a page. If you do a mistake, someone else might see it and edit it.
The software is MediaWiki so most things work the same way as on the GH wiki and on Wikipedia etc. but we use a discussion forum instead of Talk pages.