Author Topic: Wrist rest and the HHKB  (Read 2351 times)

Offline cheesedgrate

Wrist rest and the HHKB
« on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 01:00:02 »
I just received my Royal Glam wrist rest from Massdrop for my HHKB, but I really can't seem to get used to using it and it might be actually straining my hands. Are wrist rests actually good or is it just a matter of preference? Should I position the HHKB in a certain way while using the wrist rest?

Offline Sniping

Re: Wrist rest and the HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 01:46:40 »
It's preference. No shame in not using it even though you bought it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 01:49:11 »
You shouldn't be using a wrist rest while typing. It's for wresting your palms of your hands on while you're thinking, moving the mouse, etc.  Resting the wrist on the rest while typing will cause strain, problems, fatigue, and pain.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 01:53:56 »
How the keyboard should be positioned exactly depends on your set up (for example, the height of your desk or keyboard tray), personal preference and your specific anatomy. The only real option you have is to try it out and see if you can find a position in which you find the wrist rest comfortable to use. However, as was mentioned before, they really should not be used when typing. If you find your hands tire when typing (especially at the wrist) change the height of your keyboard and try to type with relaxed straight (not bent) wrists.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline steve.v

Wrist rest and the HHKB
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:12:56 »
You shouldn't be using a wrist rest while typing. It's for wresting your palms of your hands on while you're thinking, moving the mouse, etc.  Resting the wrist on the rest while typing will cause strain, problems, fatigue, and pain.

It depends on the height of the rest; Resting the palms only, will cause a much more significant pressure on the connective tissues between the hands and the forearm. The part that needs support is the carpal; thus the reason why many are suffering from RSI or Carp synd. is due to the belief that the wrists should be floating with no support; muscles can become fatigue and strained.  By resting the palms only is like supporting only one side of a bendable bridge.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:16:48 by steve.v »