Author Topic: Compiling Xwhatsit for Linux  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Compiling Xwhatsit for Linux
« on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 20:55:28 »
So, I am trying to get xwhatsit utility working on linux, partly because this is the last system I have yet to get it on that I use my kishy on, and partly to learn the process.  Anyway, I have installed QT5 and am trying to compile it in the IDE.  I am posting a screenshot where I am getting an error at.  Any help will be great.

I do want to preface this by saying that I am very new to Linux, and am still learning the basics.  In case it matters, I have Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
Re: Compiling Xwhatsit for Linux
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:47:39 »
From the error I think you need to install the following package as well:

sudo apt-get install libhidapi-dev
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:19:45 »

Ok, that worked to make the correct file, when I try and open without a keyboard plugged in, I get a no controller found.

But when I plug in a known working keyboard, I get an error: couldn't open device.  Could this be because of missing udev rules?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:25:56 »

Ok, that worked to make the correct file, when I try and open without a keyboard plugged in, I get a no controller found.

But when I plug in a known working keyboard, I get an error: couldn't open device.  Could this be because of missing udev rules?

For it working without udev rules, only problem is, I have to run it with sudo

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:38:05 »

For it working without udev rules, only problem is, I have to run it with sudo

I'm glad to see you got it working.

Most likely when you plugged the keyboard with the xwhatsit controller into the computer whatever device it attached to was owned by root and/or belonged to a group that you didn't have read/write access to. So when you run the ibm_capsense_usb_util program as yourself, you don't have permission to access the device. Using dmesg or lsusb may show what the device name is. You'll probably need to look at them anyway to find out the Vendor ID if you want to write a udev rule for it.

If you run ls -l in the /dev directory, you will see most devices are owned by root and belong to groups that you are also probably not a member of. I don't think it's a huge deal to use sudo here though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:39:54 by abjr »
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K