Author Topic: [IC] Cherry MX Switches Sampler Kit  (Read 9663 times)

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
[IC] Cherry MX Switches Sampler Kit
« on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:23:39 »
[IC] Cherry MX Switches Sampler Kit

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/cherry-mx-sampler-kit

We all are curious creatures, we wonder how Blue, Green, Black, Red, Brown Cherry MX feel, and at the same time we seek the cheapest way to do it. So I created this Massdrop Poll, which at the moment features only 4 products:

* Max Keyboard sampler kit
* WASD sampler kit
* QWERS sampler kit
* CMStorm sampler kit

Guys, let's vote!
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: [IC] Cherry MX Switches Sampler Kit
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:27:40 »
Wouldn't it be cheaper if massdrop made their own switch sampler with every single kind of switch?

At 50 cents a switch, 10 switches would be $5. Add on $2 for a plate and $2 for some cheap keycaps and $1 for O-rings, it would most likely be cheaper than whatever price they can get from those manufactures

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:32:17 »
I find that if we stick with these samplers, only the CM storm and QWER testers will be selected, because the other ones lack one or two common switches.

One problem with arranging a group buy for the CM tester is they give everybody who bought one $15 back in credit to use in their store.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:34:24 »
Wouldn't it be cheaper if massdrop made their own switch sampler with every single kind of switch?

At 50 cents a switch, 10 switches would be $5. Add on $2 for a plate and $2 for some cheap keycaps and $1 for O-rings, it would most likely be cheaper than whatever price they can get from those manufactures

^^ something like this. Why not something new.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:46:36 »
Are all the respective companies likely to want to produce relatively high volumes of these?

The CM one, for example, I understand is available in very limited quantities.

I have one of the QERYkeys one in the mail, I'd like one of the CM ones as they look like tiny little keyboards in and of themselves, but CONUS only :(

Or can the GH community come together and design something with a sample of all switches, including Alps (and maybe even Thorpe)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:25:03 »
Or can the GH community come together and design something with a sample of all switches, including Alps (and maybe even Thorpe)?

Now your talking....where's mkawa....about time he gets back to business....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:24:42 »

Now your talking....where's mkawa....about time he gets back to business....

Something that looks like a little keyboard would be cool!

There are, what, 8 or 9 Cherry switches (red, black, green, blue, brown, white, clear, gray), how many readily accessible Alps switches?  8?  10?

Actually this is sounding more like a numeric keypad kinda arrangement.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:46:32 »
out of curiosity, Why is the QWERkeys sampler so heavily preferred over the CM one?
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:48:00 »
out of curiosity, Why is the QWERkeys sampler so heavily preferred over the CM one?

I don't think QWER is more preferred, some users might like the metal case. I myself love 2 rows design of CMStorm. (I am thinking of modding it with Teensy)
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:15:43 »
Do we even know if there are sufficient numbers of any of these testers to do a GB?

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:25:22 »
Well I got myself the QWERkeys one. Its just solid I guess.

Wouldn't mind getting the CM storm one though :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:13:16 »
Do we even know if there are sufficient numbers of any of these testers to do a GB?

Exactly, which is why designing a GH tester would be a good idea.

Although it would probably turn out looking like a numeric keypad, so ... can we purchase those in bulk somewhere, and get someone to replace the switches?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:34:55 »

Exactly, which is why designing a GH tester would be a good idea.

Although it would probably turn out looking like a numeric keypad, so ... can we purchase those in bulk somewhere, and get someone to replace the switches?

Just get some of these and add switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:45:55 »
Also guys check this out

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51166.0

the switch tester is on sale

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:56:33 »
Im new to this massdrop website, and indeed concept in general. How long does it usually take for massdrop to make an announcement on whether or not they will be moving forward with the sale?

cm store still doesnt have their tester in stock and im getting antsy for either that or the qwer (but not for $30US +intl shipping)...
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:58:21 »
CM Storm more simple :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"