Author Topic: [IC] - Hardwood Pens/Pencils  (Read 5130 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
[IC] - Hardwood Pens/Pencils
« on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:41:37 »
I recent found a friend with a pen turning mandrel and have even turned my own pencil out of Bacote. He has bushings for 2-3 styles of pen, however, I find slim line to be quite attractive. Here's an example of a slim line style pen that I turned out of Bacote:

Other styles or finishes (Chrome, gold or black hardware) pens or pencils are not out of the question, I would just need to special order new bushings and all the internals of the pen/pencil. I also have a friend who found a great deal on exotic hardwood pen blanks (however it's a random selection with no guarantees of having a wood you want)

So, if you're interested what woods would you like to see and at what kind of price?

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: [IC] - Hardwood Pens/Pencils
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:59:14 »
These are nice. If you can get them down to $20 to $30, that would be sweet, but I'd pay up to $50 for something that would last a long time

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 20:03:33 »
Yeah, $20 would be the sweet spot for me.

If you can get exotic woods, I like Pau Ferro and Pau Amarello.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 20:41:59 »

Any chance of something like that... with hammer and sickle inlay?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 20:56:11 »
Show Image

That style pen or the different woods inlayed? Both are possible, but I don't know if I could do a hammer and sickle
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:00:32 by The_Beast »

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:07:41 »
Yeah both. I like more contoured fatter pen, and I think the different woods looks striking. But then it all depends on how costly...
If can't do inlay hammer and sickle, perhaps burn?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:19:06 »
I am very interested in this.  I'm not familiar with what point in the process it would be sent out to us though, so could you elaborate on whether you fit it with the internal mechanisms and ink or would we do that?  If you send us a finished pen, what would the quality of it be?

Show Image

I really like the bottom one that Ivan posted here.  If you could do something like that I'd almost certainly get one.   :thumb:

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:43:37 »
Yeah both. I like more contoured fatter pen, and I think the different woods looks striking. But then it all depends on how costly...
If can't do inlay hammer and sickle, perhaps burn?

Alright, I can look into a fatter style pen. The inlay is very possible, however, I doubt I'd be able to do a hammer and sickle inlay and I HATE wood burning since I suck at it.

I am very interested in this.  I'm not familiar with what point in the process it would be sent out to us though, so could you elaborate on whether you fit it with the internal mechanisms and ink or would we do that?  If you send us a finished pen, what would the quality of it be?

Show Image

I really like the bottom one that Ivan posted here.  If you could do something like that I'd almost certainly get one.   :thumb:

It would shipped to you ready to use with a pen/ink already in it. Pen refills are available here. I'm still thinking about finish. The pen shown in the OP as a high friction polish on it. I liked it, but it takes around 45 minutes to apply and it did chip slightly when I pressed the pen parts together. I'm not sure if I didn't let it dry long enough or what.

The other option is a super glue finish. It's a faster process but it requires CA glue (super glue), a CA glue accelerator (to dry faster) as well as sand paper from 1000-12,000 grit and maybe even a polishing compound. It can be an expensive first time cost, but the finish is really nice, almost glass like, and really durable. I'm not 100% sure about how long the the high friction polish will hold up since this is the first time I've dealt with it.

I can for sure do an inlay like that, I could even do a hashbaz triple style one to match your rest HoffmanMyster

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:46:58 »
Interested in this :) Mocha cherry will be the best for me

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:42:17 »
I can for sure do an inlay like that, I could even do a hashbaz triple style one to match your rest HoffmanMyster

That'd be awesome!   :eek:

And that super glue finish sounds really interesting, if it's not too costly.  Although it'd also be good to see the visual differences between the two as well, if there's a way to do that without spending a bunch of money on it.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:50:01 »
He can do acrylic blanks, right? 
Here's a lot of nice ones at like $3 each: http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_106&osCsid=4kc64btrfa12ltf6e37jddf2q5

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:40:54 »

That'd be awesome!   :eek:

And that super glue finish sounds really interesting, if it's not too costly.  Although it'd also be good to see the visual differences between the two as well, if there's a way to do that without spending a bunch of money on it.

This was a image tagged as a super glue finish:

Mine isn't nearly as glossy, which I personally like. I'm guessing I could do a matte type finish if I don't use polishing compound/higher grit papers

He can do acrylic blanks, right? 
Here's a lot of nice ones at like $3 each: http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_106&osCsid=4kc64btrfa12ltf6e37jddf2q5

I should be able to do acrylic pen blanks, but then I would for sure need the high grit sand papers as well as the polishing compound.

Offline osi

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:45:32 »
I'd be down for one of the slim ones. What's the expected ink refill compatibility?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:48:27 »
I'd be down for one of the slim ones. What's the expected ink refill compatibility?

here is a link to slimline refills

I'm sure other places have them as well, I just searched "Cross Style Ink Refills"

Offline osi

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 09:01:30 »

here is a link to slimline refills

I'm sure other places have them as well, I just searched "Cross Style Ink Refills"

Cool - thanks Beast. I like dark woods :D -- black walnut ftw!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 11:05:51 »
Depending on the price, I'd totally be in for 1-2.

I need a new pencil since I lost my last one. I bought a bunch of nice (.5mm) lead while I was in Japan.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 17:50:49 »
Depending on the price, I'd totally be in for 1-2.

I need a new pencil since I lost my last one. I bought a bunch of nice (.5mm) lead while I was in Japan.

I think most kits are .7mm but they might make .5mm kits