Author Topic: WYSE PCE Terminals  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Battou62

WYSE PCE Terminals
« on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:10:24 »
Mods help me out here. I am not really sure if this is the correct forum for this, maybe it's more of an interest check. I have located a near by electronics store that has a large quantity (~50) of WYSE PCE terminals. I am having him send me 5-10 terminals to begin with. I need to know how many people could possibly be interested in these boards. I know a lot of people use them for the keycaps (that's what I want), and I also know some people might want them for the switches (vintage blacks?). These terminals do not work but the keycaps should be in good enough shape. How many people would be interested in this? How much does a set of keycaps go for? How much for the whole board? Thanks for the help guys.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:23:45 by Battou62 »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: WYSE PCE Terminals
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:28:05 »
I would probably be interested in 1-2 full boards as long as they are in semi-decent condition and come with vintage blacks.

I've bought one WYSE board in the past with vintage blacks from another member here and paid $25 + shipping for it. It was in good condition and I managed to get 100 vintage blacks from it.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:50:20 »
I tend to only buy WYSE boards if they are under $20 shipped, so you might want to look at that as a starting price.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:15:33 »
I seem to recall that there is a Teensy-based USB converter for the protocol if you want to use it with a modern PC. They are well made but not exactly compact.

A recent group buy on Deskthority charged 20 EUR for a keyboard in good condition, 15 for more yellowed / written-on keyboards and 10 EUR for some that were missing parts.

Look out - there are also later models that almost the same as the Cherry MX-based ones but are rubber domes and with incompatible key caps. I think these have stepped Caps Lock where the upper portion is 1.5× wide. Note that there are also Cherry MX-based Wyse PCE keyboards with black legends, or all-white keys with purple legends.

If you strip the keyboard, please do also salvage the Cherry-style stabilisers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:19:58 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Battou62

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:29:32 »
I have already offered the guy ~$20 per keyboard. Judging from the prices on Ebay and such I am glad I didn't offer more. I thought they were worth slightly more than that.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:38:39 »
I have already offered the guy ~$20 per keyboard. Judging from the prices on Ebay and such I am glad I didn't offer more. I thought they were worth slightly more than that.

A lot of it is timing.  I've gotten a bunch of WYSE boards for close to nothing but overpaid for others when I felt like I needed vintage blacks (you really don't, just lube normal ones).  $20 shipped is a good price point.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:44:53 »
I seem to recall that there is a Teensy-based USB converter for the protocol if you want to use it with a modern PC. They are well made but not exactly compact.

You can fit it inside  the keyboard case.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52597.msg1167938#msg1167938

though most people opt not to.

Offline pasph

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:04:26 »
Only terminals? no PS/2?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:37:36 »
Only terminals? no PS/2?
There's only two WYSE keyboards like that (that I know of) from WYSE's brief foray into PC's (one is DIN, the other PS/2). They are both significantly less common than their terminal keyboards.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:53:15 »
WYSE PCE keycaps don't float? ;)

Offline Battou62

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 17:23:48 »
I got 4 boards in today. They are pretty grimy but they should clean up pretty well for anyone who has some time and maybe some retrobrite.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:40:48 »
3 of the keyboards are available if anyone is interested. I will put them in my WTS thread when I get some decent pictures of them. They are all pretty yellowed and dirty. I am in the process of cleaning one of the boards up now. I have the keys sitting in some hydrogen peroxide to whiten them up. All of the boards should be good for key cap and vintage black salvaging. :)

Mod Edit: no selling outside the classifieds through PM.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:27:53 by infiniti »

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 19:19:44 »
Post some pics!
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline Battou62

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:33:15 »

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:29:27 »
Do you know in which year those boards were produced? I would like to get two or three of them if they are produced around 1990.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Battou62

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:32:51 »
Do you know in which year those boards were produced? I would like to get two or three of them if they are produced around 1990.

I'll try to find out when I get home from work. I didn't even think to check when I first got them.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:56:50 »
My 4 terminals are gone now. If anyone needs access to more terminals send me a pm.