Author Topic: RO-59  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Ripudio

RO-59
« on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:58:13 »
I've been looking around for a good lubricant for keyboards and it seems like the general consensus is RO-59 is a miracle chemical. So I look them up and low and behold, they're located about an hour drive away from me. Downside: They START at 5 gallon quantities. I'm estimating 5 mL should be enough for a full sized keyboard so 5 gallons should be enough for about....5,000 keyboards.

Anyways, I didn't want to bug the guy on the phone too much, he had bad cell phone reception. I can get a rough price if there seems to be any reasonable amount of interest.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: RO-59
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 16:04:55 »
I don't lube my switches, personally, but ... *assuming* you get 2,000+ buyers, what is your current understanding of the cost to each buyer for 10mL?

Alternately you could say what your cost to buy the five gallons would be. There are a few folks on the forum who make their living, or at least a supplementary income modding keyboards for folks so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

What you're going to get, is a single container about the size of a paint bucket. Do you have a firm grasp right now of how you'd dole that out in 5mL quantities? How about 200mL tubes that will get through the mail successfully? Also, have you any experience organizing something of this size? You're suggesting somewhere between a thousand, and five thousand folks get together and hand you their cash, and you have to keep track of it long enough to get them their bottle of ooze in as timely a fashion as possible, without mixing up who ordered 10mL with the folks who requested 12mL, and always always always, mailing to the correct address because folks move between ordering, and receiving. The moreso when it's drawn out, as a thing like this will almost have to be.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 16:16:51 »
It should also be mentioned RO-59 has a short shelf life.

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:45:08 »
AKmalamute - Thanks for the thoughtful response, my main plan was to purchase the 5 gallon bucket, distribute what people wanted in a reasonable amount and just hang on to the rest and sell it as people might want it. I didn't know RO-59 had a short shelf life though, that kind of kills the plan.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 20:24:34 »
I didn't know RO-59 had a short shelf life though, that kind of kills the plan.

Just means you use this lubricant - EVERYWHERE  8) .  It shall be very useful in the bedroom, if you get my meaning.........

Offline uns211

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:46:51 »

Just means you use this lubricant - EVERYWHERE  8) .  It shall be very useful in the bedroom, if you get my meaning.........

Door hinges, sliding doors and drawers?

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 09:03:27 »

Door hinges, sliding doors and drawers?

You don't get his meaning! Door handles! They're always squeaking!

jk lol ;p

edit: typo

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 07:35:51 »
This is turning insanely cumbersome.