Author Topic: [IC] Compound 60%  (Read 22998 times)

Offline sabomov

[IC] Compound 60%
« on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 12:57:15 »
Hello, Geekhack!

IC Form

About me:

My name’s Max, I’m from Moscow. I started out in this hobby a year ago, and after studying up on custom keyboards for half a year, I didn’t find anything on the market that suited me perfectly and fit my ideal for a keyboard.
As it happens, I work at a metalworking facility and have access to industrial equipment.

About keyboard case and mount:

Everyone seems used to standard mounts, and variations on those are rare - not to mention truly novel ideas. So I started to think about a non-standard construction of popular mounts.

I put my engineering and visualization skills to work and started inventing.
The result was a method I called “BACKSIDE MOUNT”.
The plate is slid into rails in the sides of the case and is fixed in place by the back wall. I couldn’t compare the feeling from my solution to any mount on the market.

Two prototypes were completed in six months. That entire time was spent testing, and - luckily - I couldn’t find any issues with the design.
That led me here. I want to show you the fruits of my labor along with a few renders of the case.

About materials:

Centerpiece of the case and back wall - Aluminium
4 mm. plate - POM
Weight - Brass
Top and bottom of the case - PC

About prototype:

The main features here are perfect sound and zero flex. That’s why the plate is 4mm. thick.
The first prototype should be finished in March. The current plan is to use the HS60 PCB, but a custom PCB may be commissioned if enough demand is there.

Renders:

Prototype:

Typing:
TYPING

PCB Compound;

Fixed layout - Tsangan
ESD Protection
USB C to USB C connection support
No flex cuts
No RGB underglow
No RGB backlight
QMK/VIA support

Second Prototype Backside Mount:

Thanks for checking out my IC and have a nice day!
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 July 2021, 00:16:38 by sabomov »

Offline Ireris

• p a i n
Re: [IC] Compound 60%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:10:07 »
cool brass weight
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:16:10 by Ireris »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:25:50 »
Rama will complain for those X's. I like the looks, but 400 is steep indeed for PC.

Offline sabomov

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:32:08 »
Rama will complain for those X's. I like the looks, but 400 is steep indeed for PC.
Price not final. I think price will be 350-400$ with PCB.

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:37:53 »
I, for one, like that there is some new ideas coming into the hobby. For those quick to say '400 USD for PC..' please read the post again and have a look at the renders. It's a PC shell, with aluminum inner casing with rails as a mounting system as well as a brass plate. I don't believe that that 350-400 (including PCB) is outlandish given the different materials, engineering and labour that I assume will be required.

That being said, 60% isnt for me, but GLWIC!

Offline Livid

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 14:51:20 »
why are people under the impression that pc should be significantly cheaper than aluminum?

I, for one, like that there is some new ideas coming into the hobby. For those quick to say '400 USD for PC..' please read the post again and have a look at the renders. It's a PC shell, with aluminum inner casing with rails as a mounting system as well as a brass plate. I don't believe that that 350-400 (including PCB) is outlandish given the different materials, engineering and labour that I assume will be required.
^ also this

i'm really into this, new mounting systems are always exciting and i love pc boards   ;D

Offline wencan008

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:36:46 »
why are people under the impression that pc should be significantly cheaper than aluminum?

Because think plastic = cheap, which as a raw material, sure, but PC is a pain in the ass to machine, and this isn't injection molded. The price seems reasonable enough to me.

Also OP, why a 4mm plate and not a 5mm plate? The 4mm plate would still leave a 1mm gap between the bottom of the plate and the top of the pcb

Offline sabomov

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:44:02 »
Also OP, why a 4mm plate and not a 5mm plate? The 4mm plate would still leave a 1mm gap between the bottom of the plate and the top of the pcb
I find it difficult to answer this question :) In March, we will start making a prototype. I can make a 5mm plate and test it, but I don't think there will be much difference.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:15:12 »
big fan of stylized seams, looking forward to seeing how this comes together
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:32:17 »

They might complain, sure, but from a non-lawyer’s perspective, I’m pretty sure that the symbol is too generic for them to trademark and for it to be considered “distinctive”.

Offline jaxball30

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:39:48 »
Nice mounting style idea, hope it turns out well and GLWIC!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:40:53 »
This interesting, but I have a few questions. You slide both the plate the pcb into the rails, right? I'm having a hard time visualizing it for the plate alone without also thinking soldering would be torture.

Also how's the zero flex? I like some flex on my boards because hard and rigid typing feels are too harsh on my fingers and they make me tired of typing quicker.

Either way, GLWIC!

Offline jaxball30

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:50:56 »
Ne iso avail?

Offline firewrath9

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 19:02:34 »
proto pics? this is actually pretty cool.

Offline steebs

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 20:01:04 »
hm, would love to hear some acoustics

Offline sabomov

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 22:45:56 »
This interesting, but I have a few questions. You slide both the plate the pcb into the rails, right? I'm having a hard time visualizing it for the plate alone without also thinking soldering would be torture.

slide only plate.  I will show the mount in the prototype photos.  the prototype will start in March.  all news will be added to the thread.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 09:03:09 »
Oh so there's no proto yet Ok I was going to ask how it feel
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline sabomov

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 11:48:17 »
I have two prototypes.  the mount system is the same.  they are without polycarbonate parts.

Offline sabomov

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 13:31:22 »
Thread updated. Added photos of the backside mount prototype.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 17:08:34 »
I have two prototypes.  the mount system is the same.  they are without polycarbonate parts.

Thank you bro I quite like it . it's an interesting design
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 17:17:44 »
this is really interesting and I love to see a new idea for a mounting system

that said, if it slides into place on all four sides of the plate, what differentiates this from basically being a sandwich mount?

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 20:58:15 »
can you please describe the characteristics of “perfect sound” ?

Offline sabomov

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 22:50:37 »
that said, if it slides into place on all four sides of the plate, what differentiates this from basically being a sandwich mount?

the plate is not tightly clamped between the two halves of the case.  back panel assembly gives more design options.  There is an opportunity to develop the idea of ​​a mount.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 04:07:14 »
If there’s split space, and the focus is on acoustics, I’m sold

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 09:34:11 »
I love innovation like this. New mounts are always welcome, and Russia getting reputation for being innovative is a step forward too.

Price point is OK, CNCed PC is difficult to do correctly.

You use an existing PCB, which is a huge thumbs up for me. It makes replacement PCBs so much easier if anything goes south.

4mm plate, wow that's thick. Zero flex isn't conventionally "good" feeling,but with the right pairing I think this could work. People like CF plates, after all.

MULTIPLE PROTOTYPES!! Amazing. You love to see it.

Overall, I'm excited for this. It's not for me personally, because I'm not the biggest fan of polycarbonate, but I love this design and will be keeping up with it. Big GLWIC

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:00:32 »
The rail mount is an interesting direction to take if rigidity is your primary goal, I think it's sensible. I'm keen to hear typing tests, and I'm curious about the methodology behind achieving "the perfect sound" (I'd be careful with that since it's subjective). Did you make revisions in the interest of acoustics, or did you land on it coincidentally?

For what it's worth, bazh did some rail mount designs back in 2015 (Weaven). It wasn't aimed towards rigidity like yours is, but it might be worth talking to him about his experiences with the mount.

Also, is the inner metal cage suspended within the polycarbonate outer case, or is it making contact with the brass/polycarbonate at the bottom? If it's suspended, I reckon that'll have a much larger effect on the acoustics than the mount itself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:05:25 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline sabomov

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:29:59 »
Also, is the inner metal cage suspended within the polycarbonate outer case, or is it making contact with the brass/polycarbonate at the bottom? If it's suspended, I reckon that'll have a much larger effect on the acoustics than the mount itself.

No, the case is packed tightly, no backlash, no gaps, levitation, or anything else.
There were no experiments or calculations, just an idea that I wanted to implement. The acoustic properties associated with the difference in materials turned out to be just a nice bonus and the very sound I was looking for turned out to be accidental.

Offline R4YN3

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 15:59:44 »
Rama will complain for those X's.

These look nothing like RAMA Xs, and it is not like RAMA owns the letter X.

I think this board looks very interesting. I am a bit unsure of the zero flex as I quite like super flex. But interested to try it out at the very least.

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:12:39 »
It looks really nice. I don't really understand the mount though. It is just a pressure fit slot with a plate securing it on the back? Sort of a slotted sandwich? How do you ensure that the plate doesn't rattle around in there, especially when torqued? How do you ensure even pressure on all parts of the plate?

Offline mangeHD

• Maybe slightly insane.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 16:50:51 »
honestly this looks like a pretty cool idea, however i would like to propose one thing, have you compared putting cuts around the spacebar area to make the spacebar less intrusive to not having cuts there, i that is something i have noticed people either like or dislike, i was just wondering if you have tested it at all or if you have just decided you like the more intrusive style of spacebar.

good luck with this run, it is a pretty nice looking board!

Offline yukiburzm

• zeonic keys
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 02:13:16 »
backside mounting looks awesome. I love the flashy seams on the sides, too! I could probably afford this if it was 200$, Might have to leave it to the big spenders unfortunately : (

Offline sabomov

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 02:30:18 »
honestly this looks like a pretty cool idea, however i would like to propose one thing, have you compared putting cuts around the spacebar area to make the spacebar less intrusive to not having cuts there, i that is something i have noticed people either like or dislike, i was just wondering if you have tested it at all or if you have just decided you like the more intrusive style of spacebar.

everything is simple.  grooves in the body and wall.  a plate is inserted into these grooves.  the wall covers the body and is screwed to the body with two screws.  milling tolerance does not exceed 0.10mm.  the body is assembled tightly, without backlash

Offline sabomov

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 02:33:10 »
backside mounting looks awesome. I love the flashy seams on the sides, too! I could probably afford this if it was 200$, Might have to leave it to the big spenders unfortunately : (

I tested this mount for half a year.  friends who tried typing on my first prototypes received only positive feedback on the sound and feel.

Offline mangeHD

• Maybe slightly insane.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 02:34:46 »

everything is simple.  grooves in the body and wall.  a plate is inserted into these grooves.  the wall covers the body and is screwed to the body with two screws.  milling tolerance does not exceed 0.10mm.  the body is assembled tightly, without backlash
Feel like you replied to the wrong comment here, didn't exactly answer my question.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:19:26 »
Very interesting idea for the mount, but I think it would make more sense to make a pure Aluminium run first, then make PC ones later if the market responds fond of the idea.

Offline Iliekbrowns

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 09:43:37 »
400 is a tad bit too expensive for me. Bottom design looks nice though

Offline bakerozee

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 01:13:17 »
Yep add me for this one.
"more the knowledge lesser the ego, lesser the knowledge more the ego..." Albert Einstein

Offline IAmAScientistIRL

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 04:59:07 »
looks interesting, but I'd like to see the statement regarding sound perfection being backed up with some sound tests!

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 09:09:49 »
I definitely like the visual of the black tray inside the frosted polycarbonate exterior. It gives a really nice effect.
A-a-ron

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 09:16:45 »
love the mechanical work behind this  :thumb:

Offline Newcomb

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:35:58 »
Looks neat, and I'm always glad to see new ideas. I'm sold, even though 60% is not my favorite format. Some sound tests would be nice.

Offline Mark The Weeb

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 21:25:22 »
THAT is a stunning board ! love the translucent sides

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 21:43:42 »
This checks all my boxes in terms of engineering and design vision. Looking forward to seeing this progress

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 11:22:58 »
It just occurred to me that if we were being pedantic, there really should be 6 X's on the board, not just 5.

With only five it might more accurately be called project 50%.
 ;) :D
A-a-ron

Offline sabomov

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 11:30:50 »
It just occurred to me that if we were being pedantic, there really should be 6 X's on the board, not just 5.

With only five it might more accurately be called project 50%.
 ;) :D

Nooooo :) 5x because Compound without CMPND vowels (5 letters :)) and when I designed the keyboard I thought that 4x is not enough, 6 is a lot, and 5 is perfect :)

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 12:43:52 »
Nooooo :) 5x because Compound without CMPND vowels (5 letters :) ) and when I designed the keyboard I thought that 4x is not enough, 6 is a lot, and 5 is perfect :)
Okay, okay. I can live with that explanation.  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline sabomov

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:11:57 »
Thread update. PCB added.

Offline honoka

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 15:24:45 »
I was under the impression that the IC form would at least have an input field for suggestions. Nope
Are you firm on not having any other layouts supported?
Team iso and such

Offline sabomov

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 01:35:19 »
I was under the impression that the IC form would at least have an input field for suggestions. Nope
Are you firm on not having any other layouts supported?
Team iso and such

i'm sorry ;( but only tsangan...

Offline sabomov

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 23:48:13 »
UPD! Prototype is READY!