Author Topic: Critique my pictures!  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
Critique my pictures!
« on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:59:15 »
Hi all, just started messing around with a light box and taking pictures, let me know what you think! Want to improve my skillz  :thumb:

Novatouch with Jukebox (can see the light box fabric wrinkles but wanted to show off the key set)

Represent!

Album with full resolution: http://imgur.com/a/7qj6p

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Critique my pictures!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:59:53 »
Too bright. Hurts the eyes.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:02:46 »
Indeed very bright. Depends what you're going for. I prefer a more moody tone for my shots, as opposed to super bright like a product shot.

White balance also looks like it could use some tweaking in the later shots. The backdrop is more yellowed than pure white.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:04:13 »
Indeed very bright. Depends what you're going for. I prefer a more moody tone for my shots, as opposed to super bright like a product shot.

White balance also looks like it could use some tweaking in the later shots. The backdrop is more yellowed than pure white.

Yeah unfortunately one of my fluorescent lights popped (stupid 220v) and so I had to make do, so the balance wasn't the greatest. Live and learn! I see all the moody tones all the time, so I wanted to go with high detail, very bright product shots, you're right.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:09:38 »
Oh man these look great! I have pretty bad camera lens and I recently built a ghetto lightbox hoping to get some decent pics. Yours turned out much better :P

I think the top shot would be perfect if you followed the rule of thirds and had the artisan just a little to the left and had the edges of the case run perfectly parallel to the photo frame. As Hoff mentioned, white balance looks a little off in the Jukebox pictures, but something tells me you didn't really set that photo up completely the way you'd like to!

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:13:46 »
Oh man these look great! I have pretty bad camera lens and I recently built a ghetto lightbox hoping to get some decent pics. Yours turned out much better :P

I think the top shot would be perfect if you followed the rule of thirds and had the artisan just a little to the left and had the edges of the case run perfectly parallel to the photo frame. As Hoff mentioned, white balance looks a little off in the Jukebox pictures, but something tells me you didn't really set that photo up completely the way you'd like to!

No, you're completely right, the jukebox was an afterthought to show how it would look on a Novatouch for a dark case, since I only saw people using them on white cases etc.

Good call for the rule of thirds, will keep that in mind for the next time I set it all up!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:30:55 »
These look great. A little bright, but definetily pleasing to look at.

I really like that Carbon Fiber plate you got there!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:53:11 »
You have blown out highlights in a lot of the pics.  I know that can be an artistic choice sometimes, but I feel the harsh lighting and blown out highlights (especially in your first pic) detracts from the content.  For these kinds of shots, you typically want even lighting or shadows to create drama rather than blown out parts.  There is nothing wrong with harsh lighting, it's only an issue when it's blown out.

Consistency in your backdrops is key as well.  Your jukebox photos on down have some highly inconsistent looking backdrops that appears to be a lighting issue.  You have a very distracting visual effect brought about by your backdrop.  You also have a handful of creases from folds in the backdrop that are distracting.  If everything was wrinkled, it wouldn't be an issue, but you have a small handful of major ones that stick out.  I had a boss drill this into me in the past, but always always always be aware of your background.  The background can make or ruin a shot.

Also be aware of how your backdrop photographs.  That white backdrop in the HHKB and Jukebox photo creates some distortions at certain image sizes that is distracting.  If you use cloth, either get something with a very loose weave (burlap, for example) or a very tight weave that doesn't show up in photos or that is so obvious that it isn't distracting. 

The composure isn't bad, but it's not great either.  I know I frequently have shots where I'm more concerned about content than composure, but since you asked for a critique, I'm giving it.  Dead space is your friend.  Learn when negative space can make for a more compelling photo.  Work on angles and how to present something for the best effect.  Mix those angles up.  Get low, get high, get head on, get oblique.  Play with figuring out different lighting for different angles and how to heighten the drama of the shot.  Don't be afraid to get close and don't be afraid to get far away.  The photo doesn't always have to fit the frame.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:56:38 by nubbinator »

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 15:10:35 »
You have blown out highlights in a lot of the pics.  I know that can be an artistic choice sometimes, but I feel the harsh lighting and blown out highlights (especially in your first pic) detracts from the content.  For these kinds of shots, you typically want even lighting or shadows to create drama rather than blown out parts.  There is nothing wrong with harsh lighting, it's only an issue when it's blown out.

Consistency in your backdrops is key as well.  Your jukebox photos on down have some highly inconsistent looking backdrops that appears to be a lighting issue.  You have a very distracting visual effect brought about by your backdrop.  You also have a handful of creases from folds in the backdrop that are distracting.  If everything was wrinkled, it wouldn't be an issue, but you have a small handful of major ones that stick out.  I had a boss drill this into me in the past, but always always always be aware of your background.  The background can make or ruin a shot.

Also be aware of how your backdrop photographs.  That white backdrop in the HHKB and Jukebox photo creates some distortions at certain image sizes that is distracting.  If you use cloth, either get something with a very loose weave (burlap, for example) or a very tight weave that doesn't show up in photos or that is so obvious that it isn't distracting. 

The composure isn't bad, but it's not great either.  I know I frequently have shots where I'm more concerned about content than composure, but since you asked for a critique, I'm giving it.  Dead space is your friend.  Learn when negative space can make for a more compelling photo.  Work on angles and how to present something for the best effect.  Mix those angles up.  Get low, get high, get head on, get oblique.  Play with figuring out different lighting for different angles and how to heighten the drama of the shot.  Don't be afraid to get close and don't be afraid to get far away.  The photo doesn't always have to fit the frame.

Awesome man, thanks so much! Will definitely keep these in mind.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:59:15 »
Find something that compliments the keyboard when you take pictures.  As has been said, the background actually detracts from the subject.
It's just a simple hit or miss.  If you want high-contrasting shots, use the best light source on the planet.  Take shots using natural sunlight.  If that isn't possible, you can use an internal light source for the shot, but if you do, use more than one.  It will help with depth of the shot.
You can look at my pictures in my imgur album and see what works and what doesn't.  Sometimes all it takes is looking around and finding something that will compliment, but not detract from the subject.
I hope this helps you.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:49:38 »
Definitely need to cool them down, they're all looking very warm & toasty.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!