Author Topic: cheapest/best full or tlk topre clone?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Touch_It

cheapest/best full or tlk topre clone?
« on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 11:02:20 »
ive typed on a type heaven before.  itching for a taste of that sweet cup rubber life, but i want something i can throw mx caps on if i wish, and not looking to break the bank.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Bamboo238

Re: cheapest/best full or tlk topre clone?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 13:14:53 »
I've heard great things about Niz's atom68 - I haven't tried the their x87 TKL, but I am sure it would be of similar quality. Price seems decent also. Have you considered that one? Unfortunately, they don't do a full as far as I am concerned.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 14:15:56 »
I provided impressions of an ABKO K935P TKL here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106707.0

They use MX keycaps. Only problem is the stabilizers, which may fight you on the larger keys if you try to replace them. The ABKO is basically a Topre-like keyboard that's half-way to MX in feel. [maybe]

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 09:37:28 »
I provided impressions of an ABKO K935P TKL here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106707.0

They use MX keycaps. Only problem is the stabilizers, which may fight you on the larger keys if you try to replace them. The ABKO is basically a Topre-like keyboard that's half-way to MX in feel. [maybe]

nice write up.  definitely helps.

I've heard great things about Niz's atom68 - I haven't tried the their x87 TKL, but I am sure it would be of similar quality. Price seems decent also. Have you considered that one? Unfortunately, they don't do a full as far as I am concerned.

I've considered, though I'm not fully sold on tkl. and price felt a bit high.  (I'm living in a dream world where vintage keyboards which i mostly use cost $30 to 80). 

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 10:53:49 »
Maybe a BTC-5100:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84303.0

I remember that someone here was selling one.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 16:29:27 »
Niz Plum is a very good one. I am not sure that everyone would call it cheap. Certainly less than any real Topre though. It even has some nice features Topre lacks. Plus their cup rubber is a little different. A lot of people actually prefer it. If it is too much the other Niz are the same. Just with other layouts. I would really try to stick with Niz or Leopold. It is better to spend a little more. Rather than flush 50 bucks would be my feeling. I sometimes use a Niz. I like it. It is equal but different to Topre. There are some for $80. Search google hard in China. It is fine. Just use good shipping.