Author Topic: Smartwatches  (Read 10242 times)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Smartwatches
« on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:51:35 »
I've had a Garmin Vívoactive since they first came out a few years ago. Rarely ever go without it on my wrist. I used to have a steel milanese loop band on mine but the loops kept pulling out my the hairs from my arm so it's since been replaced again. Currently using a teal band. It's been extremely useful for quickly checking on notifications without removing my phone from my pocket, especially in places where that may not be possible.

What smartwatch do you own? Which one do you want?

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline shadowrealmwarez

Re: Smartwatches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:26:25 »
I have an Apple Watch, I really like it because I can leave my phone behind and go to the store or a walk and use my Apple Watch to pay for stuff (on supported platforms).

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:36:16 »
I had a Fossil Q...something. It was the latest one and it had WearOS. It was okay, but I rarely ever used it. The notifications were wonky, and because the steel band never properly fit I would never feel the notifications, so I just relied on my phone anyway. I had a leather band put on it but the case was so huge compared to it I swapped it out again.

The screen was great, and the sound was nice, but it didn't feel like it was worth the price tag, especially since it didn't seem functional to me in the end. I had gotten it because I thought making and taking calls from it and receiving notifications would make me more productive, but it didn't. Half the time the notifications didn't show up, or would arrive a few minutes later, and people could never hear me when I answered from my watch (I never did figure out how to make outgoing calls from it).

My wife has an Apple Watch and she can't live without it. I tinkered with it and it's far more advanced in its synchronization with Apple phones than WearOS watches are with Android phones. Plus, while round faces are more traditional for watches, I feel like you need a square or rectangular face for smartwatches. Since most screens are that shape anyway, trying to make them round does not feel intuitive.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 13:40:38 »
Although it doesn't have the more advanced features of the Apple Watch, I really like the Vívoactive because it's basic and also is useful as a fitness tracker. It doesn't have RFID so I can't make payments with it, but I don't forsee using it that often anyways. The OS for Garmin watches is proprietary (Connect IQ) and they don't have a lot of space, but it's more than enough for my needs. I can even control music and stuff with it which I find to be a plus, as well as play Sudoku!  :))

It's not perfect, but it has made things a lot easier for me.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 20:44:05 »
Tp4 dislike outside , Tp4 dislike xercise. !

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 20:53:48 »
I've had the Huawei watch V1 since around when it came out. Love the little thing and it looks so smart with a nice always-on watchface. Battery life is about two days

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:34:43 »
Not trying to be some apple fan nerd here but I always have my Apple Watch (Series 3) with me whenever I go out, I honestly think they're the best ones out there on the market right now because of just how well they work together with my iPhone, I can look at every notification, the weather, change music, etc.. without having to take my phone out of my pocket. Sometimes it's nice not being one of those smartphone zombies that can't keep their eyes off their phone for a few seconds or more.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 02:58:02 »
I have the Samsung Gear S2. I mainly use it for seeing new texts or changing songs while I'm riding.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 06:28:21 »
I know they're not officially supported any more but I love my Pebble Time Steel. It still has the best battery life out there (I get about 7 days from the officially quoted 10 days but still great), the stock software is kinda **** but with Gadgetbridge it's rock solid, it takes standard 22mm straps (no proprietary strap nonsense), always-on display, intuitive notification forwarding from my phone, waterproof enough for swimming. The only thing I find myself sometimes wishing it had is a decent heart rate sensor, otherwise it ticks every box for me far better than anything else out there.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 09:44:25 »
Not trying to be some apple fan nerd here but I always have my Apple Watch (Series 3) with me whenever I go out, I honestly think they're the best ones out there on the market right now because of just how well they work together with my iPhone, I can look at every notification, the weather, change music, etc.. without having to take my phone out of my pocket. Sometimes it's nice not being one of those smartphone zombies that can't keep their eyes off their phone for a few seconds or more.

My parents actually won a free Apple Watch a few years ago when they first came out and I would've taken it but the fact that they only work on iOS is what killed it for me. I'll never touch another iOS device after my iPod Touch 2G.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 22:34:23 »
I've had a Garmin Vívoactive since they first came out a few years ago. Rarely ever go without it on my wrist. I used to have a steel milanese loop band on mine but the loops kept pulling out my the hairs from my arm so it's since been replaced again. Currently using a teal band. It's been extremely useful for quickly checking on notifications without removing my phone from my pocket, especially in places where that may not be possible.

Show Image

What smartwatch do you own? Which one do you want?

I have the original Vivoactive also and a Milanese band :)  I've been thinking lately about updating, but am still not sure.  I was looking at the Fenix 3 (or if I really get the bug the Fenix 5) or the Vivoactive 3 (I'm a bit put off by the fact that it's gone full touch screen pretty much) or the Gear S3.  Lately, the Epix entered the running, but with the age of it, despite the reviews, I'm not sure.  But it is nice to have a full GPS on the wrist.

So as a result, I haven't bought anything.

My parents actually won a free Apple Watch a few years ago when they first came out and I would've taken it but the fact that they only work on iOS is what killed it for me. I'll never touch another iOS device after my iPod Touch 2G.

Same here.  I got out of it with the iPhone 6, and haven't looked back.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 June 2018, 22:36:26 by chuckdee »

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 16:08:53 »

Now Apple is getting rid of OpenGL. Seriously **** them lol.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 16:22:49 »

This is how apple gets ya. They have all of their products in the same ecosystem so once you get a few of them it's really hard to escape and buy competitors. Why should I buy this newer nicer android phone when my apple phone automatically syncs with my email, messenger app, smart watch, smart tv, and all that?
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 16:35:46 »
Asus ZenWatch 3

**** the square watches
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 01:38:11 »
I've gone from the same garmin you had to a fitbit versa now. Miss the battery life on the garmin but this fitbit is pretty nice for the price.

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 11:19:42 »
I'll get an apple watch as soon as the battery lasts more than a day or two. I want it to track my sleep and I don't want to charge it daily.

I currently have a pebble and it still works great. Charges every 10 days. Thinking about the fitbit Versa though. Anyone tried the Versa yet?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:39:23 »
I'll get an apple watch as soon as the battery lasts more than a day or two. I want it to track my sleep and I don't want to charge it daily.

I currently have a pebble and it still works great. Charges every 10 days. Thinking about the fitbit Versa though. Anyone tried the Versa yet?

fitbit versa

I know you are trying to get enough posts for the giveaway but are you even trying?

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:43:34 »

fitbit versa

I know you are trying to get enough posts for the giveaway but are you even trying?

What's wrong with fitbit versas? It's a smart watch to me. I have a Samsung gear s2 as well and enjoy my versa more. My garmin battery went kaput and I ended up with the versa. Don't know why my versa offends you so.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:44:41 »
What's wrong with fitbit versas? It's a smart watch to me. I have a Samsung gear s2 as well and enjoy my versa more. My garmin battery went kaput and I ended up with the versa. Don't know why my versa offends you so.

Nothing, but he asked if anyone has tried it when the post right before his was just describing it.

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:50:45 »
Sorry! Just saw you quoted me and well tapatalk is bad for context. Thought you were asking if I was trying lol. But yea, never had a pebble so I can't comment there but out of the watches I have it would go versa>garmin>Samsung

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:53:03 »
I've got a Fitbit blaze (not really a smart watch, but still some capabilities) and it isn't too useful. I found that I still used my phone most times I wanted to check things. I'm probably going to sell mine.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:10:09 »
im super basic just wear an apple watch. i need to explore the functions more, just nice to read texts discretely/instantly, have a step counter, and have a PHONE LOCATOR

Offline whytwokay

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:24:23 »
I love my Fenix 3 HR, but I want to make the leap to the Fenix 5 soon! The only thing holding me back from upgrading is the rumor that they'll be releasing a model with a tap-pay chip and built-in music storage soon.  :rolleyes:

Offline haanuman

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 09:18:59 »
Had an apple watch for like a year or so but then I felt like I didn't need it, extra piece of tech that I wasted money on.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 00:25:37 »
Had an apple watch for like a year or so but then I felt like I didn't need it, extra piece of tech that I wasted money on.

Thank goodness I got my Android Wear device at a huge discount. I wound up parting with it less than a year later, and that was even after a few months of not even turning it on.
Traditional watches ftw.

(Although my wife loves her Apple Watch and uses it constantly for both work and personal use.)

Offline Treasure

• Industrial Designer / Inventor / Maker
    • Design & Eng
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 15:02:12 »
I have an Apple Watch, original stainless steel 2015 Series 0 with leather sable bracelet, great design. But battery don't last very long ...

Offline redleaf

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 15:50:36 »
I am using a Moto 360 2nd Gen. Interested in the galaxy gear thats been teased.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 11:13:48 »
Ended up getting a samsung gear 2 or something for free with the exploding galaxy note 7; it's a pretty neat device. Dunno if I would pay for one as I'm not really a watch person as of late, and it's moderately useless when I exercise since I don't like things around my wrists when doing so.

It's def useful for notifcations and changing music though; was looking into garmins for while (for gps feature for hiking), I would be interested in people's opinions on them as to see if they're worth it or not.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 11:20:22 »
I've used my Garmin watch since I got it a couple of years ago. It's nice for hiking, biking, etc. although I use it more as a smartwatch and less as a fitness tracker. The battery life is really good when you have the GPS off, I can easily go about a week or two between charges even after two years of nonstop use. I usually do 10+ miles/day of hiking or walking and the step counter is still pretty close to my SO's Garmin watch when she does have her GPS on.