geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F

<< < (643/671) > >>

Ellipse:
Here are the first photos of the completed and tested M Style FSSK sample; it is configured with the HHKB Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace. Since the ~ ` key is left of the 1 ! key, I was not sure which key to place in the rightmost key of the block, so I selected a blank key. Any ideas on how folks plan on configuring their FSSK layout with such a configuration?

For the M Style case keyboards, wcass has ingeniously updated the PCB design to allow for the same PCB to support both HHKB style split right shift and regular right shift, to cut down on the number of PCB variations.

As noted earlier, these are the rejected sample cases that have defects (casting defects, they did not drill all of the mounts and screws correctly so the inner assembly has sunk inside the keyboard, etc.). Fortunately the keyboard is fully functional in my testing with QMK today.

The case bottoms have 4 holes for optional screw-on bumpers, plus 2 holes to mount a solenoid. The case tops have two internal posts, one to mount a solenoid and one for the P clip (USB cable strain relief).

You can also notice the changes to the interconnections between top and bottom inner assembly
1. They now have additional tabs between the first two rows, just like the IBM F122 and F104 originals. I believe this was done to keep the plates as tight as possible, to allow for the snappiest of clicks upon actuation of each key. The Round 1 compact style F104 and FSSKs do not have these extra tabs. I can tell that the Round 2 boards have some extra clickiness/snappiness to them compared to the Round 1 boards, though both have sufficient clickiness/snappiness.
2. The controller tabs have been modified slightly on the M Style boards to make them simpler and a bit less flexible. Sometimes when unscrewing the controller and adjusting an old bottom inner assembly, the old tabs would move out of position which would require some pliers to move them back into position. They are also slightly taller, to allow for more room between the controller and BIA.

Ellipse:
Here are the first photos of the completed and tested M Style F104 sample; it is configured with the US ANSI layout.  As noted earlier, these are the rejected sample cases that have defects (casting defects, they did not drill all of the mounts and screws correctly so the inner assembly has sunk inside the keyboard, etc.). Fortunately the keyboard is fully functional in my testing with QMK.  Also the texture is a little more visible in this photo than in the SSK photo though the textures are all the same.  It is a nice texture reminiscent of the Model M style cases (originally plastic) as well as the IBM Model F cases (unpainted plastic, painted plastic, and painted metal).

Also shown below are some photos of the inside of the F104, indicating the locations of the P clip and where a solenoid driver and solenoid would go.  The LEDs are designed to have the flexibility for movement so you can move them closer or further away from the LED overlay based on your LED lock lighting preferences.

Someone asked about getting some touch up paint for their powdercoated cases. 

I would just order a sample size of touch up paint for ~$8 from Home Depot.  Some locations have a paint matching machine where you could bring in your keyboard case to get the most accurate color, since colors vary slightly, but if you are okay with a close but not exact match you can refer the Home Depot staff member to the photo below.

Ellipse:
Leyden Jar controller update:
Good news from Rico.  Rico just announced the completion and open sourcing of the Leyden Jar controller project with the 18x8 extended matrix!  And wcass has designed the F122 PCB to accommodate these extra pads, so now we have everything that is needed for the full F122 usage.

The next step is to optimize the components / design for mass production at the lowest feasible cost that does not result in noticeable performance loss.  At first glance the RP2040 based board seems to cost more than the ATMEGA-based controller, even with bulk quantity. It looks like the board uses several components that cost $0.50 or more each, compared to the ATMEGA-based design only using one such component, not counting the ATMEGA chip itself.  Which components can be changed out for lower cost components, even if the design has to change a bit?  The push buttons probably need to be eliminated for example, since they cost nearly $1 each.

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-leyden-jar-a-tentative-pcb-replacement-for-the-brand-new-model-f-keyboards/17489/23

https://github.com/mymakercorner/Leyden_Jar

PS/2 support - A welcome surprise is that Rico has designed an add-on board that adds PS/2 support, however it has not yet been programmed on the firmware side so some development will be needed.  It plugs into the solenoid header, which would not be needed for LEDs nor the solenoid, given the separate LED through holes and the PS/2 connection not permitting the required power for a solenoid.

Some of the higher cost components:
Comment   Footprint   Matched Part Detail
MCP4716A0T-E/CH   SOT-23-6   MCP4716A0T-E/CHC110057
      SOT-23-6 Digital To Analog Converters (DACs) ROHS
PCA9557PW,118   TSSOP-16_4.4x5mm_P0.65mm   PCA9557PW,118C141380
      8 400kHz I²C, SMBus TSSOP-16 I/O Expanders ROHS
ADP122AUJZ-3.3-R7   TSOT-23-5   ADP122AUJZ-3.3-R7C143910
      300mA 60dB@(10kHz,100kHz) Fixed 3.3V~3.3V Positive 5.5V TSOT-5L Linear Voltage Regulators (LDO) ROHS
LMV339   TSSOP-14_4.4x5mm_P0.65mm   LMV339IPWRC273648
      TSSOP-14 Comparators ROHS
W25Q16JVUXIQ   USON8_3x2mm   W25Q16JVUXIQC2843335
      USON-8-EP(2x3) NOR FLASH ROHS
mSMD110-16V   Fuse_1210_3225Metric   SMD1210-150C70102
      6V 1.5A 100A 3A 1210 Resettable Fuses ROHS
USBLC6-2SC6   SOT-23-6   USBLC6-2SC6C7519
      6V 17V Unidirectional 5.25V SOT-23-6 ESD Protection Devices ROHS

Ellipse:
Here is a comprehensive 1 hour setup video for the new Model F keyboards - I recommend that everyone looking to set up and learn how to use and maintain a Model F keyboard watches this video.

Chapters:
0:00 Introduction, safety information
2:57 Parts identification
3:28 Initial setup steps
5:35 Installing stabilizer inserts
7:15 Spacebar installation and optimization
12:16 Installing the remaining keys; fixing stuck or binding keys (the wiggle method, etc.)
18:23 “Quality control secrets” steps:  adjusting a key that doesn’t click, doesn’t work, or buzzes
23:23 Steps starting with plugging in your keyboard to the computer (testing, troubleshooting double presses, etc.)
27:26 Solenoid installation (optional)
31:02 Diagnosing issues with many keys
37:08 Opening up the keyboard inner assembly (change/maintain the layout or case)
40:08 Intermediate firmware adjustment (firmware/layout customization)
57:40 Appendix (cleaning, modifications, etc.)

POCO Estudio:
og,Amazon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version