Author Topic: Orion TKL Group Buy  (Read 562164 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: Orion TKL Group Buy
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 19:36:49 »
Question, are there any markers for the polarity of the LEDs? Margon is building mine now and he thinks he needs to load the firmware first to figure it out. If I can I would like to try to save him some time.

I haven't installed LEDs on mine yet (next up), but I'm assuming it's the same as the Lightsaver:

PLEASE NOTE when installing LEDs, polarity is not indicated on the PCB, but it's the standard + on the right, - on the left, when looking at the PCB from the top (not from the bottom).  BUT, if you're doing a 1.5x modifier layout on the bottom row, note that the LEDs for the right-side Alt/GUI/Ctrl should be reversed in orientation to - / +.

Hope that helps

It most certainly does. Thanks! :)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:27:28 »
Is backspace the flip key on the orion?

Is there a flashing guide anywhere or is it all in korean? I have some korean stuff Im just tired and am lacklustre about working it out :) Apologies if it's in this thread already.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:30:13 by margo baggins »
I got boards.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #602 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:40:17 »

Is there a flashing guide anywhere or is it all in korean? I have some korean stuff Im just tired and am lacklustre about working it out :) Apologies if it's in this thread already.

Margo, yes the flip key is backspace for the Orion.

See "Note on Reprogramming" here

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #603 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:48:04 »

Margo, yes the flip key is backspace for the Orion.

See "Note on Reprogramming" here

I'd just found that page, glad to know it's the right bit of info :)

thanks bro!
I got boards.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #604 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:16:35 »
Question, are there any markers for the polarity of the LEDs? Margon is building mine now and he thinks he needs to load the firmware first to figure it out. If I can I would like to try to save him some time.

I haven't installed LEDs on mine yet (next up), but I'm assuming it's the same as the Lightsaver:

PLEASE NOTE when installing LEDs, polarity is not indicated on the PCB, but it's the standard + on the right, - on the left, when looking at the PCB from the top (not from the bottom).  BUT, if you're doing a 1.5x modifier layout on the bottom row, note that the LEDs for the right-side Alt/GUI/Ctrl should be reversed in orientation to - / +.

Hope that helps

I did that + on the right - on the left, top down:

and this happened:

So I had to swap them all round to get:

(somehow managed to catch the esc flash in the picture  :thumb: )

so on this, predominantly - was on the right and + was on the left, looking top down at the keyboard. Unless my LED are crazy! :)
I got boards.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #605 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:57:27 »

Hope that helps

I did that + on the right - on the left, top down:

Show Image

and this happened:

Show Image

So I had to swap them all round to get:

Show Image

(somehow managed to catch the esc flash in the picture  :thumb: )

so on this, predominantly - was on the right and + was on the left, looking top down at the keyboard. Unless my LED are crazy! :)

Doh. I'll be installing LEDs this weekend, will follow-up with whether they're backwards for me as well.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #606 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:58:06 »
Test one first before soldering up the rest  :thumb:

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #607 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 23:48:20 »
Hmm anybody know what type of screws are usedto assemble the case? Looking to get a longer version of them

Offline Battou62

« Reply #608 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 01:12:26 »
Can we get some clarification on how to use the key mapper again? I have figured out how to use toggle the light modes and zones, but I haven't figured how to use the key mapper to restore my caps lock to its normal function. Awesome board btw,  I am very proud to be an owner now :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:28:13 by Battou62 »

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #609 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 01:42:03 »
Orion looks beautiful. I have a lightsaver on the way to me. So excited to join the korean club.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #610 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 09:04:35 »
I finally started building my Orion last week (as in started disassembling and lubing 88 switches) and of course I get four switches in before I realize I've messed up and now I'm waiting on the desoldering gun I'd originally ordered for my next project to arrive so I can clean the solder out of the blasted LED through holes.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #611 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 09:36:28 »
And I will be following you ;)
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Battou62

« Reply #612 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:20:00 »
Anyone figure out the key mapper? My escape only blinks once now, and I cant control the leds anymore :( I need an ELI5 tutorial :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #613 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:41:58 »
Anyone figure out the key mapper? My escape only blinks once now, and I cant control the leds anymore :( I need an ELI5 tutorial :)

What problems are you having? I've been helping folks with the software and having had any issues thus far. Feel free to PM me and we'll suss it out and post the solution to the thread.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #614 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:48:40 »

What problems are you having? I've been helping folks with the software and having had any issues thus far. Feel free to PM me and we'll suss it out and post the solution to the thread.

Thank you, will do.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #615 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:37:32 »

Thank you, will do.

Battou62's issue just came down to the difficulty in following instructions where all you have is the screenshot rather than the actual language. I don't have my Orion assembled but I've been using the firmware program for my KingSaver and Duck Mini and feel pretty good at doing so. When I get to the firmware section of my build (before Thursday, I hope) I'll post an English language guide to the firmware and a short youtube video of me programming my Orion.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #616 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:25:38 »
Found a place that can lasercut the bottom plate. Just € 34,30 for 9 plates so around €4 or $5.1

If they turn out right I will probably be selling some on here after shooting some pics.
They don't have a machine currently for the 12mm acrylic we need for the inserts but they will have a new machine soon. *Fingers crossed*
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:28:03 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #617 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:36:06 »
Found a place that can lasercut the bottom plate. Just € 34,30 for 9 plates so around €4 or $5.1

If they turn out right I will probably be selling some on here after shooting some pics.
They don't have a machine currently for the 12mm acrylic we need for the inserts but they will have a new machine soon. *Fingers crossed*

I had 2x 2mm acrylic plates made to test.

The single 2mm is pretty thin, can barely see the acrylic between the 2 pieces of the case.

4mm looks a lot better but ends up being too long for the screws provided by the case, does anybody know what type of screws the case uses (or how I can identify them) and/or where we can get longer screws?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #618 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:42:58 »

The single 2mm is pretty thin, can barely see the acrylic between the 2 pieces of the case.

4mm looks a lot better but ends up being too long for the screws provided by the case, does anybody know what type of screws the case uses (or how I can identify them) and/or where we can get longer screws?
Did you make some shots?
Even if it's too thin to be visible it should still give a bit of glow around the case or at the very least offer a flatter option with aluminum case feet for those who prefer that.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #619 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:03:50 »

Did you make some shots?
Even if it's too thin to be visible it should still give a bit of glow around the case or at the very least offer a flatter option with aluminum case feet for those who prefer that.

I can take some photos later this evening. Based on photos in the OP, I'm guessing Duck used 4mm plate

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #620 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 16:10:43 »

Did you make some shots?

I can take some photos later this evening. Based on photos in the OP, I'm guessing Duck used 4mm plate
Please do, I can still change my order to a 4mm then.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #621 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:46:17 »

Did you make some shots?

Please do, I can still change my order to a 4mm then.

That seems way too thick to me, but everyone is entitled to their own look I guess

Offline JizzGus

« Reply #622 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:28:45 »
Finally getting around to building my board, but does anyone know what the cut-out in the center of the bottom piece is for?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #623 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 23:06:34 »
Finally getting around to building my board, but does anyone know what the cut-out in the center of the bottom piece is for?

For brass weight. I've seen a picture somewhere.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #624 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:52:51 »
Seems like I might even be able to pick up the lasercut plates today or tomorrow. That's even before I receive the board from Margo.  ;D
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:32:33 »
Just went to pick them up.
Behold, bottom plates!

9 plates in total.

With some feet

Roughly a 5 degree angle

Now I need to be patient for my orion to arrive. :P

The place where I got them told me they'd have a machine that could cut the 12mm pieces in one month.
So unless somebody else wants to pick that up in a GB I could try by then.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:35:48 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline pasph

« Reply #626 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:51:18 »
Interested
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:05:29 »
Interested
I will be trying it myself first before I sell to others to see if they actually fit. But so far it looks like it will work.
The final view with just the plate should be something like this.
Feel free to express interest.

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:09:43 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #628 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:35:20 »
[...] does anybody know what type of screws the case uses (or how I can identify them) and/or where we can get longer screws?

If they are the same as  the Lightsaver;
Screws: the 10 little screws you need to attach the plate to the case are size M2 in Torx T6 with a 0.4mm pitch (called "coarse" or "normal") and 5mm length. If your set is missing screws, please see this post by dorkvader-he ordered a large batch for himself that seem to fit well.

EDIT: d'oh! Of course not. those are just the ones for the plate.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline cphead

« Reply #629 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 02:11:13 »
Very interested to see how the cutouts fit. Interested in joining a buy as well (: thanks for keeping us updated

Offline chocobunny

« Reply #630 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:00:59 »
I'd be interested in a plate.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #631 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:51:56 »
My Orion with 70g MX Clears is in use today at work.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #632 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:56:36 »
Pics! :D
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #633 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:04:40 »

No good one since my camera didn't come with me to work today.

I'll be writing up the build log on the train home.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #634 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:03:16 »

Show Image

Nice spericals. Cool looking board. Did anyone comment on it yet?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:07:57 »

Show Image

I consider this to be a "good one".  :D  Looking great, NS!

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #636 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:23:31 »

Show Image

Turned out great, what color LEDs are those?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #637 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 09:36:15 »
Vintage MX Clears, lubed and stickered, transparent switch tops and screw on pcb mounted stabilizers.
Keycaps are a combination of SkiData and Originative Charred Orange.
Cable by Pexon

All clickable for original resolution. ;)

This board is really solid and a lot quieter than my other boards with Clears. Not even a ping.
The Acrylic plate doesn't seem to be doing much. Perhaps tonight I will see more.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 09:38:27 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #638 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 09:49:50 »
Vintage MX Clears, lubed and stickered, transparent switch tops and screw on pcb mounted stabilizers.
Cable by Pexon

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This board is really solid and a lot quieter than my other boards with Clears. Not even a ping.
The Acrylic plate doesn't seem to be doing much. Perhaps tonight I will see more.

EDIT:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

God damn that is a good looking board. Great pick up!

I'll be using that exact switch, led and case set up on my Viper :D

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #639 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:31:50 »
Cable by Pexon

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

EDIT:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

God damn that is a good looking board. Great pick up!

I'll be using that exact switch, led and case set up on my Viper :D
Nice, I'm sure it will look really nice on a 60% board as well. I will probably be hauling it to Amsterdam on friday btw.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #640 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:56:07 »
Slight update on the plate:

It works, but you will need different screws. Or tap into the plastic in the front.

And though it does really add to the dispersion of light on the sides

It does very little, if anything at all about a nice glow at the front

It does look mighty sexy though.

I suspect Duck might have used extra LEDs to get this effect

Or perhaps the difference really is in a 4mm plate or the silver case.

TO BE CONTINUED
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:58:03 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #641 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:05:15 »
Slight update on the plate:

It works, but you will need different screws. Or tap into the plastic in the front.
Show Image

Show Image

And though it does really add to the dispersion of light on the sides
Show Image

It does very little, if anything at all about a nice glow at the front
Show Image

It does look mighty sexy though.
Show Image

I suspect Duck might have used extra LEDs to get this effect
Show Image

Or perhaps the difference really is in a 4mm plate or the silver case.

TO BE CONTINUED

I would guess extra LEDs would be right.  Another difference might be a frosted acrylic vs clear?  Like seen here:  http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_housing&document_srl=502

Though if there are pics of the plate then I would certainly be wrong (I haven't followed this gb at all, sorry!).
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #642 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 04:35:18 »
Maybe, I'll try some different options later. See how that works out.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to change the blinking Esc-key?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline elton5354

« Reply #643 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:55:49 »
Have you tried it with the acrylic piece in between the 2 metal pieces? I think that was what Duck did with it.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #644 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 06:06:05 »
I did. It's too thin to make a difference. Remember, the only LEDs underneath are the four at the holes on the side. We will probably have better luck with double thickness but I won't be able to try that until later this week. I need to finish my thesis before tomorrow evening.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #645 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:54:01 »
I did. It's too thin to make a difference. Remember, the only LEDs underneath are the four at the holes on the side. We will probably have better luck with double thickness but I won't be able to try that until later this week. I need to finish my thesis before tomorrow evening.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier but never got around to posting pictures, a single 2mm plate between the 2 aluminum case pieces is too thin. I tested with 2x 2mm (4mm) plates and it definitely looks a lot better, but the screws aren't long enough (so I've been tracking down longer case screws)

Probably next, I'll try sanding the edges of the plate to get a frosted look, hoping that will diffuse some of the LED light better.

Also, might try adding a couple red LEDs underneath the PCB to see if that gives it more underglow. I don't know **** about resistors and what not, but I noticed there's a couple free spots with resistors that I might be able to use (one from not using 6.25x spacebar and another from the extra modifier due to winkeyless)

Offline dragonken

« Reply #646 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:57:18 »
I sent the plate and pcb to Gon for assembly and finally I received the assembled keyboard today. Today is first time I play duck keyboard. Does anyone know how to toggle LED mode? Any good user manual online for Orion TKL?

Regards,
dragonken

Offline dragonken

« Reply #647 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 01:57:42 »
Finally I figured out how to toggle LED mode.

Orion TKL 62g clear switch. Assembled by Gon:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #648 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 03:02:36 »
Does anyone know how to program commands like volume up, Play/Pause and the like?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 03:33:45 »
Does anyone know how to program commands like volume up, Play/Pause and the like?
same question here, those multimedia commands were stated as for MAC only in the keymapper, any idea how to make it works in windows?
BTW, I am really interested in your acrylic plate work there JaccoW, have you figured out how to make that glow like Duck' orion? I think the frosted acrylic with 4mm would work, but it's just a guess.  :p