Author Topic: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL  (Read 59844 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:10:09 »
Hmm, your board your choice. Feels like a money grab play tho for sure.

oh so selling the board for 410 and then watching it get flipped for 1k on MM is ok

I never said either of those things lol

not specifically you

but i know a lot of designers get annoyed when they sell a board at 400 (generally making 50-100 per board at most) and then watch it get flipped on MM for 2-3x what they sold it for

they don't see any of that cost, but it was still their work

like rotb said, reallocates the money back to the designer instead of the aftermarket
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:13:27 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #201 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:14:40 »
Its frustrating for sure. And I'm okay with prices going up to combat that. I want designers to be excited and compensated for sure.

But this hobby would be stiffled pretty quick if it heads toward richest gets it. FCFS and/or raffle gives the little guy a chance. It gets everyone excited and participating and keeps the hype up.

I think if it moves to only the richest can get things, that hype will die down and there will just be a new elite only sbbset of the community.

Thats a drastic timeline and who knows how zamb will continue to do it going forward. But I wanted to add my two cents to the thread. Which if anyone can relate to adding two cents to a thread, you could. 

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:14:53 »
pudddddddddddssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Offline gbchk

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:21:38 »

oh so selling the board for 410 and then watching it get flipped for 1k on MM is ok

not specifically you

but i know a lot of designers get annoyed when they sell a board at 400 (generally making 50-100 per board at most) and then watch it get flipped on MM for 2-3x what they sold it for

like rotb said, reallocates the money back to the designer instead of the aftermarket

I don't understand this argument at all. Nothing about this prevents the board from getting flipped at a higher cost down the line and it's nonsensical that the designer of a product should feel entitled to some kind of royalties from a sale between two third parties with an agreed upon price by those parties.  If he's so concerned with making whatever amount he deems appropriate to feel fully compensated, he should run it like an actual GB and charge an amount that gets him a profit he's happy with, and accept the fact that he has no control over what other people do with the product once it's sold.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:29:24 »
Its frustrating for sure. And I'm okay with prices going up to combat that. I want designers to be excited and compensated for sure.

But this hobby would be stiffled pretty quick if it heads toward richest gets it. FCFS and/or raffle gives the little guy a chance. It gets everyone excited and participating and keeps the hype up.

I think if it moves to only the richest can get things, that hype will die down and there will just be a new elite only sbbset of the community.

Thats a drastic timeline and who knows how zamb will continue to do it going forward. But I wanted to add my two cents to the thread. Which if anyone can relate to adding two cents to a thread, you could.

Notice though, that this isn’t even going to the highest bidder. In fact it’s going to the 9th. This approach allows the seller to find a reasonable selling price based on real-time market demand for the product without necessarily aiming for the highest price. I think this is quite a reasonable way to find a good selling price point.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:44:51 »
Thats a drastic timeline and who knows how zamb will continue to do it going forward.

Movin forward Jules, Andromeda, and Percebe will be done using a standard group buy approach. All the keysets that I have planned at the moment (MT3 Serika, GMK Nautilus Nightmares, GMK Nautilus, and please consider purchasing GMK Striker) will be done using a standard group buy approach.

But if I do a board by myself, I'd prefer to front the money and have all the boards made. I feel more comfortable that way.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:47:27 »

not specifically you

I don't understand this argument at all. Nothing about this prevents the board from getting flipped at a higher cost down the line and it's nonsensical that the designer of a product should feel entitled to some kind of royalties from a sale between two third parties with an agreed upon price by those parties.  If he's so concerned with making whatever amount he deems appropriate to feel fully compensated, he should run it like an actual GB and charge an amount that gets him a profit he's happy with, and accept the fact that he has no control over what other people do with the product once it's sold.

did you read zambumon's post?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline gbchk

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:53:28 »

Which?

I was specifically commenting on your argument for defending the auction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:55:07 by gbchk »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:00:36 »

Which?

I was specifically commenting on your argument for defending the auction.

Show Image

Good day,

Here is an update regarding Verne and how it will be sold.

Back in 2018, I fronted the money for a production run of about 30 Verne keyboards. While this is not the usual approach, especially for a first-time group buy runner, it is the one I took because I felt more comfortable doing it this way.

So, here is the big news:

Next week I'll be selling 8 Oblivion Grey Verne (with either Classic or Modern layouts) using a Vickrey auction at a starting price of $410.

This is a sealed-bid auction (meaning that bidders will submit their bids without knowing the bid of the other people in the auction) where the top 8 bidders will get a board, and the price to be paid will be set by the eighth-highest bid. Only one bid per person, and a Geekhack ID created before April 1, 2019 is required to participate. I reserve the right to accept or decline your bid.

A Google form will be open from Wednesday, May 15 at 18:00 CEST to Thursday, May 16 18:00 CEST. You won't be able to modify your response, so please make sure that everything is correct before submitting your entry.

The final price will be announced not long after the form closes, and winners will be contacted at that point The winners will remain anonymous unless they want otherwise.

To sum up:
- On May 19, 8 Oblivion Grey Verne will be auctioned.
- Auction format: Vickrey auction, seal-bids. The top 8 bidders get a board, the price paid will be the eighth-highest bid.
- Only one bid per person. A Geekhack account created before April 1, 2019 is required to participate. Entries with the same shipping address will be deleted.
- Shipping: the boards will be shipped from Spain which should be 17€ for EU, around $50-$60 for the US and Canada and around $60-$70 to Asia.
- Payment: Payment will be through PayPal or SEPA (EU members only). A maximum of 4.5% in Paypal fees will be applied to your invoice.
- EU members: as the boards will be sold from Spain, please take this in consideration when bidding. A 21% VAT will be added to your invoice.
- NON-EU members: you will be responsible for any customs fees at the time of delivery.

I will decide how the rest of the boards will be sold once the auction concludes.

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:25:45 »

I am all for the auction style, or whichever method Zambumon deems fit for selling his boards. But the reason for the high prices on r/mm has to do with the limited qty of the boards, not the method of sale. A higher OG sale price could entail a even higher after-market price. Just make more after the first round and no one will be stupid enough to pay absurd prices.

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:46:11 »

I am all for the auction style, or whichever method Zambumon deems fit for selling his boards. But the reason for the high prices on r/mm has to do with the limited qty of the boards, not the method of sale. A higher OG sale price could entail a even higher after-market price. Just make more after the first round and no one will be stupid enough to pay absurd prices.

Least this way Zambumon will more money for his work.

Offline poodude

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:53:11 »
From a purely business perspective, why would you risk your reputation to sell a few boards due to risk of aftermarket flippers? Everything runs on supply and demand. Selling these boards off now at an already premium price and then committing to a future group buy would eliminate flipper prices and wouldn't make people feel negative towards you. You'd also make more money that way anyway. (if that is your aim)

I realize he is a designer and not a business, but there is a reason companies like Zeal and RAMA are so successful. They have great design and make enough boards to fill demand. Since they sell as a premium product, they come with a premium price.

I don't support flippers or sales tactics like these so I will have to be out. I will say however that it is a great design, and one that deserves to be in more hands. Good luck!

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:57:32 »
From a purely business perspective, why would you risk your reputation to sell a few boards due to risk of aftermarket flippers? Everything runs on supply and demand. Selling these boards off now at an already premium price and then committing to a future group buy would eliminate flipper prices and wouldn't make people feel negative towards you. You'd also make more money that way anyway. (if that is your aim)

I realize he is a designer and not a business, but there is a reason companies like Zeal and RAMA are so successful. They have great design and make enough boards to fill demand. Since they sell as a premium product, they come with a premium price.

I don't support flippers or sales tactics like these so I will have to be out. I will say however that it is a great design, and one that deserves to be in more hands. Good luck!

I can't even imagine being mad at a designer because their board gets flipped...Do people actually think this way?

Offline poodude

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 18:51:44 »
No, as the current responses have indicated, people are not happy with selling these to the highest bidder. There will always be flipping as long as there is constrained supply. That's how supply and demand works.

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 19:25:34 »
Thats a drastic timeline and who knows how zamb will continue to do it going forward.

Movin forward Jules, Andromeda, and Percebe will be done using a standard group buy approach. All the keysets that I have planned at the moment (MT3 Serika, GMK Nautilus Nightmares, GMK Nautilus, and please consider purchasing GMK Striker) will be done using a standard group buy approach.

But if I do a board by myself, I'd prefer to front the money and have all the boards made. I feel more comfortable that way.

Well that completely settles it, nice. Thanks for the response

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:21:28 »

... Andromeda, and Percebe will be done using a standard group buy approach.

This is definitely the real story here :thumb:

Offline gridds

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:53:18 »
Clever experiment.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 22:29:09 »
This either reduces the after market price relative to the retail price or this auction might backfire and cause the after market pricing to scale off of a high auction price for what could be partially considered as retail. Interesting because  if any of the 8 auction units decide to sell, they will at the very least sell at cost. That might be much higher than the retail for the other units or around the same. So if someone who got this board not through the auction, then they could adjust their aftermarket price of this board to be the same as the person who bought the board via auction. It can easily give an excuse to flip since who could say  that you are selling at cost via auction and noone would be the wiser. In this sense the blind auction could severely backfire. I think having all units be FCFS and/or raffle would be better than this model. This might increase flip prices because you are essentially giving people a blank check as to what they can value the board at since there is no distinguishing a non auction unit and an auction. The two groups would have different ideas of what after market is, but if the auction group pays much more than the non auction group, then their aftermarket value will be inflated. There is no stopping the non auction group from saying that they got the board through auction and charging high aftermarket prices for their board.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 22:43:23 »
This either reduces the after market price relative to the retail price or this auction might backfire and cause the after market pricing to scale off of a high auction price for what could be partially considered as retail. Interesting because  if any of the 8 auction units decide to sell, they will at the very least sell at cost. That might be much higher than the retail for the other units or around the same. So if someone who got this board not through the auction, then they could adjust their aftermarket price of this board to be the same as the person who bought the board via auction. It can easily give an excuse to flip since who could say  that you are selling at cost via auction and noone would be the wiser. In this sense the blind auction could severely backfire. I think having all units be FCFS and/or raffle would be better than this model. This might increase flip prices because you are essentially giving people a blank check as to what they can value the board at since there is no distinguishing a non auction unit and an auction. The two groups would have different ideas of what after market is, but if the auction group pays much more than the non auction group, then their aftermarket value will be inflated. There is no stopping the non auction group from saying that they got the board through auction and charging high aftermarket prices for their board.

I am confused. How does the choice of how the sale is conducted affect the aftermarket price?

The aftermarket price is determined by the intersection of demand and supply. If anything the aftermarket price after the Vickeray auction is going to be lower than a FCFS or raffle, ceteris paribus. The reason is because the 8 people who are prepared to pay the most for the board are no longer in the market to buy a board after the Vickeray auction. By contrast, after a FCFS or raffle, it is highly likely that the 8 people who will pay most for the board are still in the secondary market for buying a Verne, hence increasing the price at which demand and supply will meet.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 22:48:05 »
Good luck with the auctions! Verne is a beaut.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 00:55:18 »

I am confused. How does the choice of how the sale is conducted affect the aftermarket price?

The aftermarket price is determined by the intersection of demand and supply. If anything the aftermarket price after the Vickeray auction is going to be lower than a FCFS or raffle, ceteris paribus. The reason is because the 8 people who are prepared to pay the most for the board are no longer in the market to buy a board after the Vickeray auction. By contrast, after a FCFS or raffle, it is highly likely that the 8 people who will pay most for the board are still in the secondary market for buying a Verne, hence increasing the price at which demand and supply will meet.
With how much the hobby is expanding, I doubt it will just be  8 people. Who knows what those 8 people will pay for their verne. The problem arises when they decide to sell it aftermarket. Noone reasonable person will sell at a loss, they will be putting it up on MM for at least what they paid for it, most likely more. Since their retail price was much higher, the price at which they sell verne will be higher as well (if they choose to do so) than the standard buy units. Since you can't know who got an auction unit or not without some sort of proof of purchase, any person in the normal buy could charge much more aftermarket under the justification that they received a unit via the auction, and you wouldn't be able to tell who was lying or not without a proof of purchase. This auction could backfire and promote flipping rather than give more of the flip money to the creator.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 00:57:14 »

With how much the hobby is expanding, I doubt it will just be  8 people. Who knows what those 8 people will pay for their verne. The problem arises when they decide to sell it aftermarket. Noone reasonable person will sell at a loss, they will be putting it up on MM for at least what they paid for it, most likely more. Since their retail price was much higher, the price at which they sell verne will be higher as well (if they choose to do so) than the standard buy units. Since you can't know who got an auction unit or not without some sort of proof of purchase, any person in the normal buy could charge much more aftermarket under the justification that they received a unit via the auction, and you wouldn't be able to tell who was lying or not without a proof of purchase. This auction could backfire and promote flipping rather than give more of the flip money to the creator.

Got it, I understand where you're coming from better now - thanks and appreciate the explanation mate!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 06:18:06 »
A few comments I'd like to make.

First, on whether this method somehow promotes flipping. Market price is determined by many factors, of which starting price is only one. If these boards sell high, and then someone lists theirs using this as a starting point, there is no guarantee that it sells. It will sell if someone values it at that price. Of course some units will still be sold and possibly some flipped, but at a minimum Zambumon has seen more of that realized profit than he would through usual means.

Second, on whether this is poses a threat to the designer's reputation or whether this is some kind of manipulative "sales tactic." The answer is no to both. From much of the conversation I've had in the last day about this idea, a significant majority understand the benefits of this method. It gives those who will buy high a way to do it while supporting the designer, and it allows the market to fairly decide the price of the boards sold. (This mechanism is quite literally *not* designed to maximize profit, but instead to find the market clearing price for goods.)

Artisans auction off keycaps regularly and receive little to no pushback, but there appears to be a sense of entitlement regarding customs that does not exist in the artisan market. Please consider that keyboard designers are equally deserving of benefiting from their work.

Offline alivedi

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:16:14 »

I feel like this expectation of people to be able to sell their boards for what they purchased it at (or more) is kinda crazy. I haven’t seen other hobbies where you can sell used items for the same price they were purchased. Just some food for thought

Offline gbchk

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:34:55 »
I feel like this expectation of people to be able to sell their boards for what they purchased it at (or more) is kinda crazy. I haven’t seen other hobbies where you can sell used items for the same price they were purchased. Just some food for thought

It's not really an expectation, it's just constantly reinforced by the fact that the market is usually willing to pay a premium for products that are deemed rare and/or known to be in a limited quantity and/or never to be produced again.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #225 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 12:23:56 »
Artisans auction off keycaps regularly and receive little to no pushback, but there appears to be a sense of entitlement regarding customs that does not exist in the artisan market. Please consider that keyboard designers are equally deserving of benefiting from their work.

qft

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 10:47:47 »
I like how everyone runs to their high school economics notes to get some vocabulary words to use on GH when a designer decides to try a new sales method.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 10:54:51 »
I like how everyone runs to their high school economics notes to get some vocabulary words to use on GH when a designer decides to try a new sales method.

I just don't see anything about this to justify it being considered anything unique, special or worthy of it being considered a classic. It's a very basic design with no innovation. The only thing even noteworthy about this is that it's colormatched to keysets...Anyone could have the same thing done at their local powdercoating shop.

I do agree that a designer deserves credit for their work. I just don't see this deserving anything more than a group buy price and definitely not worthy of it being called a high end, collectors piece.

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 11:50:04 »

I just don't see anything about this to justify it being considered anything unique, special or worthy of it being considered a classic. It's a very basic design with no innovation. The only thing even noteworthy about this is that it's colormatched to keysets...Anyone could have the same thing done at their local powdercoating shop.

I do agree that a designer deserves credit for their work. I just don't see this deserving anything more than a group buy price and definitely not worthy of it being called a high end, collectors piece.

That is entirely up to the people submitting the bids isn't it? Feel free to submit a bid for $410 though and hope enough people agree with your assessment

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 11:53:32 »

That is entirely up to the people submitting the bids isn't it? Feel free to submit a bid for $410 though and hope enough people agree with your assessment

Of course. I'll leave the bids to others that feel different than me.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 11:56:18 »

I just don't see anything about this to justify it being considered anything unique, special or worthy of it being considered a classic.

Check out Mr. Reverse Psychology steal yo keyboard right here. Master level to suppress the high bids.
/Popcorn

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 12:03:49 »

I just don't see anything about this to justify it being considered anything unique, special or worthy of it being considered a classic.

Check out Mr. Reverse Psychology steal yo keyboard right here. Master level to suppress the high bids.
/Popcorn

Nah. As I said earlier, I think there's far more interesting and unique projects that I'd rather give money to at even the group buy cost than this. It may not be a popular opinion, but even the KBD8x mk. II is more exciting to me than this one is.

It's just 1 less person people have to compete against for a potential spot, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 12:09:55 »
I'm putting this in the same category as SA Nautilus for my own sanity.
I will just treat it as something I was not intended to be able to get my hands on, and that way, when I see the aftermarket price, I'll be able to look at it as "do I want it that much?" instead of "is it worth that price?"

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 12:17:20 »
Nah. As I said earlier, I think there's far more interesting and unique projects that I'd rather give money to at even the group buy cost than this.

Please consider purchasing GMK Striker. Pre-orders close on May 18.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 13:00:35 »
Thread cleaned up a little bit at the end, please remember to try to be nice to each other.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 13:07:15 »
Nah. As I said earlier, I think there's far more interesting and unique projects that I'd rather give money to at even the group buy cost than this.

Please consider purchasing GMK Striker. Pre-orders close on May 18.

Already done! Please don't take my opinion as an attack against you. I have nothing but respect for you. I'm just going to pass on this one.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 15:15:03 »
Had nothing negative in my post except quoting someone else, so I'll repeat:
This case is SO elegant. Curves are not difficult, but this design has balance and consistency not seen in many if any other TKL. Even the forehead is extended more than many others, but it's not overdone. I want.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:34:53 »
My SA Nautilus kit has been idle long enough.

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 20:04:03 »
I think that auctioning these off is perfectly acceptable and would prove to be an interesting experiment. The key here is that the boards are already made and are in very limited numbers.

Unfortunately, many people like myself won't stand a chance of getting it since there will undoubtedly be some ridiculous bids. But that's just a testament to how desired this board is.

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 20:52:11 »
Wait for the nautilus blue color. They are perfect combination  ^-^

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:52:11 »
Wait for the nautilus blue color. They are perfect combination  ^-^

There's a reason why I haven't shared pics of production blue Vernes. Let's say they are more "Striker Blue" than "Nautilus Blue". That was unfortunate and one of the reasons why I want to powder coat those boards.

The auction will be postponed by 4 hours and will start at 10PM CEST instead.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2019, 11:32:25 by Zambumon »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 11:56:57 »
Artisans and certain keyboards are art.
An artist expects that if their art is good, it will sell for more and more with none of that money coming back to them.
The solution is to make produce more and either raise prices or work through a gallery with a percentage of the final sale going back to the artist.
Maybe we need to move to that kind of system for small premium production runs.
This auction is a sort of way of doing that without the gallery, though.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 15:00:28 »

Please head over the Verne External Auction Link

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 01:14:00 »
No, as the current responses have indicated, people are not happy with selling these to the highest bidder. There will always be flipping as long as there is constrained supply. That's how supply and demand works.

Some people are happy about this. Some people are not happy about this.

Can't please everyone.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 02:19:44 »
I think the auction is fair because Zambumon is currently offering none of the risks involved in a GB - and therefore commanding a higher price, as he took those risks.

Flippers are able to flip because of the risks involved in a GB. Further flipping is just market value rising and whales buying what they want.

The idea of an auction might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but it makes complete sense. It's a finished product, not a GB.

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:24:08 »
Curious what these eventually went for?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:27:10 »
Curious what these eventually went for?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

$750. See this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100725

Offline gbchk

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:34:27 »
lol

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:51:46 »
I bid $740, not joking

Offline PvtSkittles

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 18:03:24 »
Wow, I honestly thought this would go higher. To me this is like the corvette of keyboards with the curves it has.