Author Topic: StarCraft II with GeekHack  (Read 164532 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

StarCraft II with GeekHack
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 16:04:51 »
Right...

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 03:24:59 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;277222
This is correct, APM etc is not taken into consideration.  Pretty sure I saw Blizzard confirmed that the end result is all that matters.

Now that there are chat channels, yeah, I'll have mine to auto-sign-in to GeekHack... hopefully I'll see some people ever.

Oh snap. I'll add that to my channels I think.

And yes, nothing in game is taken into consideration for rating, just whether you win the game or not.

And I need to get into Masters League, ughhh.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 15:56:56 »
Hopefully will see some people in the geekhack channel soon! Haven't played much lately

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 10:39:17 »
Just found this thread, a few months late!

Wang.187 (noticed someone else had my name too)
Diamond 1v1 #37, 852 points currently
http://sc2ranks.com/us/583589/Wang

I haven't played ladders much lately, just random 4s and 2s with a friend.  The system just gives me too much anxiety, so had to chill on that.  But, I'm always down to practice some friendly 1s or SotIS.

Hit me up!  Add via email (danwang918 at gmail dot com) or character code.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 00:33:22 »
After this happened, I had to save it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3I4ys8s3qE

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 03:19:24 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;280387

I haven't played ladders much lately, just random 4s and 2s with a friend.  The system just gives me too much anxiety, so had to chill on that.  But, I'm always down to practice some friendly 1s or SotIS.

Hit me up!  Add via email (danwang918 at gmail dot com) or character code.

I've added your info to the first post.

As for anxiety, I use to have that really badly but I've just found if you play a lot you stop caring about losing as much. At least, that is what I am doing.

Also, would anyone be interested in a replay pack from me? I play Protoss but I tend to mess around a bit and my average game length is over 20 minutes, so rare macro Protoss style :p
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Flickr

Offline cometbus

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 08:06:50 »
Andrew - That vid made me laugh, gotta admit. ;)

I'm brand new to the forums(first mech shipped out today, can't wait!), but saw this thread and had to post, since SC2 is a lot of what I've been spending my free time on lately. I'm not too great, currently in Silver league. I've still got some basics to get down, but I'm learning relatively fast.

Used to lan BW with friends a lot in high school, but none of us ever took it very seriously. We mostly played on BGH, and as a result none of us ever got "good." Recently it was the GSL that got me into SC2, I'd just never realized how deep the game could really be, I just love how much there is to learn/improve on. I played Zerg in BW, so naturally had to stick with that in SC2.

Anyway, I'm on the US server, ID is:

cometbus.465

I might try the geekhack channel when I'm on next, I'm usually up for practice/screwin' around games.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 January 2011, 12:25:33 by cometbus »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 12:32:57 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;281579
After this happened, I had to save it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3I4ys8s3qE

I'll go through my replays and show you a player who reacts the complete opposite way (and loses 4 drones to me).
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 19:22:07 »
I too just discovered this thread. Be prepared for me to rant and rave about the upcoming GSL season once it begins. I'd start a discussion about the recent finals if it hadn't been such a walk-over.
"On important topics it is better to be a good deal prolix than even a very little obscure." -EAP

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 21:55:59 »
What is the Geekhack channel? Is it just Geekhack?

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline BlueRain

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 01:27:46 »
Quote from: JinDesu;288060
What is the Geekhack channel? Is it just Geekhack?

Think so, though I haven't seen anyone on... ever :(

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 03:09:31 »
Quote from: BlueRain;288136

I remember to pop in there, but I've been stupid sick lately and just not online much.
Flickr

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:52:02 »
If that's the case, I'll idle in there every night (probably 8pm-midnight eastern). If anyone wants to play or practice, just let me know.

JinDesu.203

Offline cometbus

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 13:51:18 »
I'll hop in the channel when I'm on, just lately I've been screwing around with some old friends from FFXI days, doing random custom games.

Offline shablaGOO

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 08:34:58 »
Hey guys, my character name/number is shablaGOO.870. I'm only Platinum and I haven't been playing that much lately but I plan to get back into it soon, so feel free to add me/message me. I'll definitely check out the geekhack channel as well, despite reports of no one ever being in it lol

edit: Here's my profile link

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 12:59:52 »
Since there's channel support now, why not join the channel GeekHack? I'll jump on there this evening and see if anyone's around.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 13:07:44 »
I'll be in the GeekHack channel tonight around 2300UTC (5pm Central Time) if anyone wants to play. I'm getting bored of laddering against anonymous people...

Also, Azuremen, could you update the OP to include Beaver.399? Right now it's just "Beaver" on your list

I set it to auto-join at startup, so hopefully I'll see more people on there. I'd suggest a vent server, but I fear we won't be able to hear each other over the clattering of our mechanical keyboards :D

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 03:21:04 »
Hey guys!

New to Geekhack as a poster, but long-time lurker.

I absolutely LOVE Starcraft 2.  As a result of my playing I have neglected my XBOX 360, went out and bought a Razer DeathAdder mouse with a Steelseries QCK mousepad, and recently placed an order for a tenkeyless Filco Majestouch with cherry browns.

I'm almost always online since I don't have a full-time job yet.  Been playing a lot of customs and ladder games lately, trying to work my way into Masters league.  I'm currently at 2675 Diamond after working my way up from Bronze league back in July.

You can find me online at sawedust.851.

And if you guys need some help with Protoss or Terran mechanics (as those are my two main races, although I've converted to playing Toss full time), hit me up!  I'm always willing to help out a few players while I still have the free time. :)

gg gl hf fp
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 03:32:40 »
here are my 2 accounts, masters on NA(which i dont really play on much anymore)
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/981081/1/Cyberpsycho/
this is my korean account

http://kr.battle.net/sc2/ko/profile/2741958/1/Cyberpsycho/

only diamond right now, and for those wondering, it is actually really hard to get into higher leagues on the korean servers, masters was super easy for me on the NA servers, its going to take a lot of work to hit it on the korean servers. platinum on the korean servers is like low tier masters on the NA servers. if anyone wants to play, or needs help feel free to pm me here and ill give you my real id ^_^

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 23:43:02 »
I've updated the first post as best I can. Let me know if I missed anyone, I'm a bit out of it (been very sick lately and on some meds)

Cyanide, what are you character ID numbers? The B.net profile pages don't include those, and I don't know any way to extract them out of it. Also, how did you go about getting a Korean account? I heard it requires you to have a Korean SSN or something insane.
Flickr

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 20:03:21 »
For the first time ever, I saw someone else in the Geekhack channel.

Beaver! (Daniel Beaver, on this forum.)

Pretty cool, we got to play a couple of PvZs on Xel'Naga and the new GSL map Crossfire.  Really helped me out learning the new maps and practicing my macro and unit compositions against Zerg, which is my weakest matchup.

Looking forward to meeting more of you all on BNet. :)
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 18:04:17 »
Mittens 506

Platinum 1v1 zerg player. Always up for team games or whatever. Always willing to help lower level players. Or just willing to practice with others of the same level. :D

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 18:33:32 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;275011
So, I just beat Elbowglue's noob ass in 2v2...

EDIT rude, false statement gets no attention?

:)  I have been celebrating this whole time nonstop too busy to read on geekhack ;)
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline xira

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 19:14:58 »
Let's see more people in the geekhack sc2 chat!
Keyboards: Leopold FC200RR/AWN - Rosewill RK-9000 Mouse: CM Storm Xornet

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 19:33:54 »
I've been very tempted to log on and play a few games again. I haven't played since the beta. In the end ego won out and prevented me from wasting minutes of your collective time.

As for watching SC2, though, I've been watching a ton of coverage of the various team leagues. While some of the builds have been very interesting, I've been a bit disappointed with how one-sided the matches have been. I'm certainly still enjoying the VODs, though.

If by some small chance you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you watch the ladder match between EGIdra and IMmvp. In a word? Wicked.
"On important topics it is better to be a good deal prolix than even a very little obscure." -EAP

Offline mickd

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 19:58:27 »
For anyone that knows day9, or has watched his dailies, hes trying to win the shorty awards competition, and put in a good word for esports at the acceptance ceremony.

If you would like to vote and support him, go to http://shortyawards.com/category/gaming, click on his name Sean Plott (currently close behind in 2nd place), and fill in the shortyvoting near the top of the page.

You'll need an active twitter account to vote (as votes are based off tweets), and you will need to put in a reason for it to count. I believe voting closes in a day.

If you haven't heard of him, you should check out some of his vods at http://day9tv.blip.tv/?sort=custom;view=archive;date=;user=day9tv;s=posts;nsfw=dc;page=1. He's a analytical starcraft 2 caster.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 23:14:05 »
Quote from: xira;293131
Let's see more people in the geekhack sc2 chat!

I've only seen two other people in there with me :(  But it's okay, it's great to see someone there so we're not alone. :)

Quote from: JelinaNU;293149
I've been very tempted to log on and play a few games again. I haven't played since the beta. In the end ego won out and prevented me from wasting minutes of your collective time.

As for watching SC2, though, I've been watching a ton of coverage of the various team leagues. While some of the builds have been very interesting, I've been a bit disappointed with how one-sided the matches have been. I'm certainly still enjoying the VODs, though.

If by some small chance you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you watch the ladder match between EGIdra and IMmvp. In a word? Wicked.

If you thought IdrA vs MVP was good, wait until you get to the finals of the GSTL between Startale (ST) and Incredible Miracle (IM).  There are some very, very SIIIIICK games towards the end with some of the best players in the world (including IMMVP).

It's a definite must watch if you're a fan of SC2.

Quote from: mickd;293156
For anyone that knows day9, or has watched his dailies, hes trying to win the shorty awards competition, and put in a good word for esports at the acceptance ceremony.

If you haven't heard of him, you should check out some of his vods at http://day9tv.blip.tv/?sort=custom;view=archive;date=;user=day9tv;s=posts;nsfw=dc;page=1. He's a analytical starcraft 2 caster.

Best caster in the game right now, Day[9]'s videos are great from beginners in Bronze to great players in Masters.

If you're just starting out, or even if you aren't, Daily 132 has to be the best one of the bunch.  The basics of macro.  Just follow those rules and it'll raise your game to a much greater level.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 00:55:29 »
Updated again. Hopefully I can get some games in this weekend; I've been rather ill and it is has made it is impossible to actually play a game, not to mention the falling asleep on my desk.

And I've got to adjust to a new mouse again. Anyhow, I'll try to loiter in the channel.
Flickr

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 03:39:55 »
Got to play a couple of games with Qwerty aka Mittens tonight!

Very good Zerg player, we were able to share thoughts and strategies on the Protoss versus Zerg matchup.  It's one of the best in the game I think, but it's confined to a singular matchup in my opinion...

Colossus/Sentry/Stalker versus Roach/Hydra.

There's also a lot of stuff we both have to work on, which includes the basic macro functions.  That will come when we both get used to the customized hotkeys and layout!

Looking forward to meeting more of you guys online!  If you ever need help learning Protoss or Terran, or just need a practice partner I'm almost always on.

gl hf ggs
QuanticGaming.com

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 14:20:30 »
Quote from: sawedust;293214
If you thought IdrA vs MVP was good, wait until you get to the finals of the GSTL between Startale (ST) and Incredible Miracle (IM).  There are some very, very SIIIIICK games towards the end with some of the best players in the world (including IMMVP).

It's a definite must watch if you're a fan of SC2.

Indeed! I watched them day-of, when I got home from the warehouse. Kudos for the lack of spoilers, too, sir.

I took your advice and watched Daily 132 along with his recent show about hotkeys, mouse movement, and APM. They were great. Then I booted the game and tried to implement what Day mentioned. I was embarrassed at how bad I am. Long, long, long way to go; I'm still sub-bronze.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 16:13:08 »
Quote from: JelinaNU;294077
Indeed! I watched them day-of, when I got home from the warehouse. Kudos for the lack of spoilers, too, sir.

I took your advice and watched Daily 132 along with his recent show about hotkeys, mouse movement, and APM. They were great. Then I booted the game and tried to implement what Day mentioned. I was embarrassed at how bad I am. Long, long, long way to go; I'm still sub-bronze.

No problem!  I hate it myself when things get spoiled and I haven't watched it yet. (although it's rare for a GSL/GSTL event as I'm almost always on top of that!)

It's just having to get the pylons/probes/units rotation going in your mind throughout the whole game.  Even I have issues with that, and I'm around mid-Diamond level already.

Really solid macro and one proven build order will get people out of Bronze all the way to Platinum.  When I started playing in July I played Terran and just went MMM all the way to Plat level.

Somewhere around July or August I found Day[9] and my play started jumping exponentially after watching some of his casts, especially 132.  Once I started to continually make depots, barracks, and marine/marauder I could just 1a - stim - win.

In a span of one month I went from Bronze to Gold.  Another month later and I was in Platinum!

Once you hit Platinum there's a huge switch in levels of gameplay.  No longer will a single strategy work *all* the time, so you have to learn to adapt in gameplay.  More on that when you get here. :)

I just recently watched Daily 253 (I think?) about warming up your game, learning about location hotkeys, having useful APM, etc.

I think 132 and 253 are *THE* episodes to watch if you want to improve.

And as always if you need help, don't hesitate to contact me online!

sawedust.851

EDIT:
After a laddering session this morning and afternoon, I made it up to 2800 diamond!  On my way to Masters League! :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 February 2011, 17:25:25 by sawedust »
QuanticGaming.com

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 17:58:34 »
Yeah, I'm still at the stage where I play an incompetent, low-level AI and simply try to properly manage my macro. I start over if I get supply-blocked, forget to expand, or let my minerals excess 1000. *shrug* We'll see. I've been chomping at the bit waiting for Rift to release, but I'm enjoying the challenge this is providing.

Aside: Assembly was weird and the GSL Code A pairings are up.

Edit: Grats on your point gain! I may soon be watching you in the TSL Qualifiers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 February 2011, 18:12:52 by JelinaNU »

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 19:12:38 »
+1 for Day(9), go watch the episodes that sawedust recommends. He understands what is important, and brings a level of enthusiasm to commentating that is unrivaled.

Offline Anteloptics

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 19:29:51 »
Anteloptics.107 - Master league terran.

I don't have a computer to play on when I'm at school though, so I won't be on again until my next break in March (I have pretty much the entire month off).

Protoss imba.

Offline xira

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 20:18:01 »
Quote from: JelinaNU;294168
Yeah, I'm still at the stage where I play an incompetent, low-level AI and simply try to properly manage my macro. I start over if I get supply-blocked, forget to expand, or let my minerals excess 1000. *shrug* We'll see. I've been chomping at the bit waiting for Rift to release, but I'm enjoying the challenge this is providing.

Aside: Assembly was weird and the GSL Code A pairings are up.

Edit: Grats on your point gain! I may soon be watching you in the TSL Qualifiers.

Makes two of us!
Keyboards: Leopold FC200RR/AWN - Rosewill RK-9000 Mouse: CM Storm Xornet

Offline Anteloptics

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 20:49:52 »
By the way, if anybody here would like help with improving their play, I welcome you to go ahead and shoot me a message whenever you see me on Bnet. I have no problem with spending some time discussing strategies, going over replays, or playing some practice games to work on builds and mechanics.

As I said before, I can't play when I'm at school, but I'm going to be home for pretty much the entire month of March and I won't have much to do, so expect me to be on A LOT during that time.

I play on both the NA and EU servers (Anteloptics.107 on both of them).

Also, did/does anybody else here play Broodwar? Just wondering.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 00:30:51 »
I will have to ask you for some help soon.

How did you get the same .107 suffix on both NA and EU?

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 01:33:00 »
Quote from: Anteloptics;294200
Anteloptics.107 - Master league terran.

I don't have a computer to play on when I'm at school though, so I won't be on again until my next break in March (I have pretty much the entire month off).

Protoss imba.

Protoss not imba, Terran imba (when played right) haha.

Love to play with and/or against you sometime!
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 04:00:14 »
Yeah, I've started hanging around in the chat more and getting into the habit of leaving starcraft in window mode so I can keep an eye on chat will on skype and doing homework... Should stop in, I've seen a few of you in there, now where's the rest? ;)

Btw Sawedust, was fun playing, too bad you don't seem to come on 'till later. We'll have to give that another go, I've been working on my opening a little more, but definitely need to return my mouse to razer >_<

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 05:47:18 »
Quote from: Anteloptics;294236
By the way, if anybody here would like help with improving their play, I welcome you to go ahead and shoot me a message whenever you see me on Bnet. I have no problem with spending some time discussing strategies, going over replays, or playing some practice games to work on builds and mechanics.

As I said before, I can't play when I'm at school, but I'm going to be home for pretty much the entire month of March and I won't have much to do, so expect me to be on A LOT during that time.

I play on both the NA and EU servers (Anteloptics.107 on both of them).

Also, did/does anybody else here play Broodwar? Just wondering.

I still watch the Korean Broodwar league :) I <3 SKT. I haven't played Broodwar in like a year though.

Anyway, my info:

Silver level terran. I got promoted to silver and basically stopped laddering. I haven't really learned this game and I don't practice often enough due to my job to be a very good player, but sometimes when I play custom games I've beaten platinum and even diamond players.

Mostly I just play SOTIS because it's less stressful for me after work.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 09:08:43 »
If anyone wants to just practice 1v1, let me know. I'm low-level diamond, but I'll play against anyone (it's good to play both against people who are better and people who are worse).

I'm on in the late afternoon and early evening, usually.

Offline slueth

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 13:59:32 »
I used to play brood war but my monitor is way too big and stretches the resolution to a horrible skew.  I used to LAN it with my friends and we would play big game hunters.
Starcraft 2 is pretty fun but its not the same as sc1.  sc1 units were more dynamic and was not based entirely on rock paper scissors.
Reavers, lurkers, tanks all required tons of control in sc1.  You had to use a shuttle and drop, fire, then pick up.
Lurkers had to move when they were scanned and use zerglings to aid as fodder.  
There was defilers with swarm so you could eat zerglings and do swarm hopping.

In sc2 there is the colossus, which is just an attack move unit, and tanks have smart fire-they target higher priority things such as infestors and they don't overkill..- I think that killed zealot bombs and I have not seen protoss use zealot bombs against tanks.. Or it might be that there is so much marine usuage against toss that it doesn't really get thought about.

Anyways... /end rant

I got demoted to plat... my connection is pretty bad and drops me every once in a while.  I main zerg but I play random every once in a while.
Username is
Novelty.500

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 15:03:19 »
Quote from: Qwerty;294319
Btw Sawedust, was fun playing, too bad you don't seem to come on 'till later. We'll have to give that another go, I've been working on my opening a little more, but definitely need to return my mouse to razer >_<

Usually depends on my work, gym, and gf schedule :P  On the weekends I'm on the majority of the day unless I have something planned.  We'll figure something out!

And get that Lachesis back to Razer, go get something that doesn't have the Philips Twin Eye!

(DeathAdder bias ^_^)
QuanticGaming.com

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 23:26:07 »
Whoops, forgot to mention, my character id is SpeaKEaSY.238
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Metalix

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 03:05:12 »
Quote from: slueth;294479
I used to play brood war but my monitor is way too big and stretches the resolution to a horrible skew.  I used to LAN it with my friends and we would play big game hunters.
Starcraft 2 is pretty fun but its not the same as sc1.  sc1 units were more dynamic and was not based entirely on rock paper scissors.
Reavers, lurkers, tanks all required tons of control in sc1.  You had to use a shuttle and drop, fire, then pick up.
Lurkers had to move when they were scanned and use zerglings to aid as fodder.  
There was defilers with swarm so you could eat zerglings and do swarm hopping.

In sc2 there is the colossus, which is just an attack move unit, and tanks have smart fire-they target higher priority things such as infestors and they don't overkill..- I think that killed zealot bombs and I have not seen protoss use zealot bombs against tanks.. Or it might be that there is so much marine usuage against toss that it doesn't really get thought about.

Anyways... /end rant

I got demoted to plat... my connection is pretty bad and drops me every once in a while.  I main zerg but I play random every once in a while.
Username is
Novelty.500

Good rant although you must consider bw was not perfect either in the early years. It took a while to evolve into a great dynamic game.. still Sc2 is young and the builds are evolving. Blizzard are active in game balancing.. its not perfect but its very hard to make a balanced game..

Are people here playing in EU? or am I the only EU player here :o ?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 February 2011, 06:50:09 by Metalix »
The leopold FC200RT Brown

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 22:18:38 »
Quote from: slueth;294479

Username is
Novelty.500

Use the iCCup Launcher if you want a windowed mode version of BW that won't skew. It is what people have been doing for ages.

As for Rock, Paper, Scissors... that can maybe apply to PvP at the moment, other wise the game is quite dynamic. Zealot drops don't exist because of smart fire, but because of the fact Marines are actually used in TvP now. The only reason so much unit management was required in BW was because unit AI sucked, not because the units were actually dynamic. Dragoons were god awful. Scarabs could be like gambling. And so on.

If you are in Plat, regardless of connection, you are not in position to be able to discuss the dynamics of the game too much.

Quote from: Metalix;294740

Are people here playing in EU? or am I the only EU player here :o ?

I've been listing the EU players with an EU tag next to their names on the list when they've mentioned it. That is about all I know.
Flickr

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 01:12:01 »
Spam above, get it out of here.

Three of us (Mittens, Wongster, and I) were playing a little bit of SC2 earlier tonight.  Got to play in and watch some awesome matches!  Wongster's a lot better than his gold 1v1 shows, he could probably be in Platinum easily.

Still trying to get used to playing with the Filco, I'm still not used to the layout yet but I absolutely love the feel of it!  Gonna have to spam a lot of custom games over the next week before taking on the ladder again.

In pro SC2 news...

IdrA is moving back to the United States, foregoing the next GSL and living at the EG house in California.

What for?

The North American Starcraft League :D

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of pros started to come here instead of Korea as the prize money is much more lucrative.  From a financial standpoint it makes a lot of sense because there are so many more foreign tournaments where the prize pool just destroys anything from Korea.

The only thing I see beneficial about playing in Korea is the crazy top-tier talent there as well as the awe and mystique of it.  But if I were a pro gamer, I'd rather worry about getting a better flow of income in tournaments with bigger payouts than just getting my name up there in lights.

Thoughts?

http://nasl.tv
QuanticGaming.com

Offline manfaux

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 07:28:06 »
er......what's NASL's prize pool?

Offline Crypt

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 08:10:00 »
Day9's back to the basics video is a mandatory watch for anyone under high Diamond, IMO.  I've seen Rank 1 Master players get supply blocked and such.  Fundamentals are really important.  His new mechanics video is dangerous to watch, IMO, as I don't agree with several things that he says.

As for anyone bronze to low diamond, I highly recommend just practicing one build per matchup continuously while working on the fundamentals -- making workers, spending money well, and scouting.  You'll be advancing in no time at all.  :)

Offline Kaz!o

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 08:31:27 »
Crypt, could you tell me with which points you don't agree with Day[9]?