Author Topic: Filco Camo with Filco Doubleshot keycaps review  (Read 32187 times)

Offline Jumpjet

Filco Camo with Filco Doubleshot keycaps review
« on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:04:07 »
I nearly bought a Cherry Brown Multicam a few year ago but bottled out due to the colour! Thank God I didn't buy one because it transpires that I hate the feel of Browns. This then, after a long delay and a few wrong turns, is my Blue switch Filco Muticam.

51939-0

I love Blue switches, not only for typing but also for gaming. There's a juiciness to each key-press that's bizarrely pleasurable. In truth I think Reds are better overall for games, but for me Blues just have something special to them.

51941-1

When I ordered the Filco Multicam I knew I'd either love it or hate it, so it was with some relief that I fell in love with it at first sight! It has an almost ironic cool vibe to it as if to say 'yes, I'm a camouflage-coloured keyboard but we're both in on the joke'. On the desk it's more Punk Rock fashion than E-Sport Geek.

51943-2

Filco used to advertise these boards as having braided cables. Their website doesn't reference the cable now and sure enough mine came with a green standard plastic effort. I'm used to braided cables and it's surprising now much of a difference this makes aesthetically.

The Multicam paint-job is lovely. The printing is so good that it almost seems to be part of the plastic. Light seems to sink in for a millimetre or two. It doesn't of course, but the impression is there. It's really nice.

The board its completely flat on the table with feet up or down and the excellent rubber stoppers ensure that it stays put. The weight of the board also helps to keep things grounded and with the addition mass on the full Filco double-shot key-caps installed, that weight increases significantly.

I ordered my doubleshots form the Keyboard Company in the UK. As luck would have it, I asked about availability just when they were expecting a delivery. It looks like they'll be stocking them for the moment, so anyone wanting the get them in Europe is advised to drop them an email for availability.

What I wanted to achieve was the feel of an 80's keyboard with the customisation options of Cherry switches. I love Model M boards, but having luxuries like multimedia controls is always nice. Weirdly, when the double-shots are combined with Blue switches, the Filco Multicam feels very 80s indeed...but in a good way ;-)

The quality of the caps is astonishing. The standard Filco caps are quite nice, but they look very low-budget compared to the double-shots. The new caps have walls that are at least double the thickness of the standard caps. Each double-shot is also noticeably heavier than its standard equivalent.

51945-3

The caps are a third higher than the standard Filco laser-etched efforts. They tower over the standard caps! Each has a conical shape with a shallow dish-shaped top surface. The plastic looks very similar to Bakelite in both colour and feel. It's hard to capture the keycap colour on camera but to the eye there's no mistaking that these are brown with cream-coloured letters. I've created a subjective colour comparison diagram to help give you a feel for how different the standard and doubleshot Filco caps are. I've exaggerated the brown to better convey the overall appearance of the installed double-shot caps.

51947-4

Low-light visibility is excellent. The large, clear font pops off the key-cap to such an extent that even in very low light the caps are easily legible. Speaking of the font, it seems to be a very close relative of Helvetica. The 'R' lacks the slight curl it the end, and the lowercase 'a' lacks the top curl, but other than that it's a close match. The written commands  ('backspace', Caps Lock. etc) have a very hand crafted look to them . They're very characterful and charming and add to the general artisan feel of the caps.

51949-5

The doubleshot keycaps change the typing experience to such an extent that in effect this is a completely different keyboard. The caps carry so much weight into each stroke that actuation is noticably lighter. It's not a massive change, but it's there never the less. The structure, weight and material content also alter the bottoming-out action. The sound of the Blue's click is much more muted, and the cap impact sound  softer, with a warmer sensation. That softeness can also be felt too.

51951-6

While typing with my usual filco wrist-rest, I've found the height of the double-shots to give a much more intuitive hand position. I can type faster and with more comfort. The same applies to gaming too, and using the board with COD Black Ops 2 is an absolute pleasure. The spherical cap-tops are so pleasant to use that one questions why they fell out of favour. I much prefer them to cylindricals.

Overall, if you have a Multicam Filco, then these will add to both the user experience and the aesthetic impact of your keyboard. The colour is an excellent match and the quality of the caps is top-tier.

Combining these two products has created the single best keyboard I've ever typed on. It works equally well as a work tool and as a gaming platform with stunningly quirky good looks. I highly recommend both. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Filco Camo with Filco Doubleshot keycaps review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:08:25 »
didn't know it was non-profiled... thx for the review

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:13:57 »
SA,how feel typing on SA profile....wooble?good?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:20:52 »
Thank you for a review with high quality photo.
Please keep up your work
I like linear switches

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:24:21 »
Yep, pretty much a level typing area. It's very nice to use.

The general feel of typing with the doubles is one of firm meatiness. The larger keys have a markedly different feel and sound when compared to the letters and numbers; more like standard Cherry Blues. Wobbliness is a bit subjective, but I'd say that the caps are very stable. Their height does exaggerate the centre of gravity though. Generally the board's caps are solid as they look in the photos.

Offline mrmillsy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:35:36 »
Damn but those are some nice looking keycaps.  A lot of the caps I see on here I don't get the appeal of, but I want that set.  I might be a bit put off by the extra height, but that's alright, I could just mount them on the wall and look.

Offline mrmillsy

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:39:19 »
Also, I want keys which will give my fingertips a loving hug.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:41:21 »
That board looks sick man  :thumb: Brilliant review too

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:56:21 »
Damn but those are some nice looking keycaps.  A lot of the caps I see on here I don't get the appeal of, but I want that set.  I might be a bit put off by the extra height, but that's alright, I could just mount them on the wall and look.

Buy two sets, and use one of them. They come sealed in plastic, on a little mounting board. You could hang that one on the wall. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:01:50 »

Buy two sets, and use one of them. They come sealed in plastic, on a little mounting board. You could hang that one on the wall. :)

JD have you noticed any issues with these being any tighter than normal keycaps, or have you removed them since you got them haha :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 15:01:30 »
Nice review!

Those keycaps suit the camo case very well.

But shouldn't this be in the reviews section?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 15:25:35 »
JD have you noticed any issues with these being any tighter than normal keycaps, or have you removed them since you got them haha :D

I haven't noticed that to be an issue, but then I've only had them on boards with Browns and Blacks, no Clears or Whites.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 15:39:53 »
This should be in the review section. Anyway neat little review with nice pics :thumb:
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 17:05:56 »
There's a review section?

Spot the N00b! ;-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 17:10:32 »
There's a review section?

Spot the N00b! ;-)

You know where it is now :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:16:39 »
*Update*

Originally I planned to add a single mod to this board in the shape of a red doubleshot Esc. keycap with a yellow star. I thought it would really finish off the board with an amusing Central America Republic vibe!

52835-0

I discovered the Filco Doubleshots after ordering the red cap and they arrived and were fitted first. The red cap, despite being a doubleshot, doesn't approach the sheer level of quality as the stunning Filco caps.

52837-1

Still, it's very nice and well made cap, matching the stock Filco caps perfectly, but it's thin-walled and the cap profile is much lower than the very tall and thick Filco Doubles.

52839-2

It's also a cylindrical rather than a spherical cap.

52841-3

Despite all of these differences, it's found a permanent place on the board and just about gets away with looking good!

52843-4

Vica Castro!  :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 07:40:15 »
Yep, pretty much a level typing area. It's very nice to use.

The general feel of typing with the doubles is one of firm meatiness. The larger keys have a markedly different feel and sound when compared to the letters and numbers; more like standard Cherry Blues. Wobbliness is a bit subjective, but I'd say that the caps are very stable. Their height does exaggerate the centre of gravity though. Generally the board's caps are solid as they look in the photos.

You have the exact same keyboard as I even the MX Blue switches.  Currently also using the B&W SA Profile, patiently waiting for the official jil_jil32 Camouflage Key-set to arrive.  For now the Filco reins supreme over the keyboard landscape with this key-set profile.

Good to see someone else likes this setup as much as I do  :thumb: .

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 07:55:50 »
Pictures please!  :thumb:

I debated the camo key-set, but that felt like a step too far for me! Although, why I'm showing restraint when I own a camouflaged gaming keyboard God only knows.

If I could lay my hands on them, I'd have these caps:

52849-0

They look great! The brown Filcos are perfect though. There's no good reason to make any further changes with caps as good as these installed. If I can find a spherical esc. key that matches the Filcos for quality, I'll swap it in.

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:47:18 »
Nice writeup with good pics!

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 01:26:29 »
Thanks for the review, Jumpjet!

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about browns, just that they don't click? Or is it the low actuation force?

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 16:18:47 »
I bought my first mechanical board three years ago, and researched the backside off the subject before buying. At the time I couldn't get hold of any mechs to try, but from my reading the Browns seemed to be the best option for work and play, quiet, tactile,good for RTS and FPS...Only the cranks were into Blues for gaming, Blacks sounded like they'd be a liability for working long hours, and back then Reds were still as rare as hen's teeth. Browns it was then, and everyone raved about them. I sprang for a Filco Majestouch 2 from the Keyboard Company.

Browns...I hated them. It felt like there was a piece of dirt on each keystroke, and regardless of how many emails, documents, RTS games or FPS battles I engaged in, I just felt that bit of stuff on every downstroke. I'd rather have use my rubber dome monstricity!

A few months later I got a chance to try some Blues and fell in love with them instantly.  Blues have a satisfying, almost bubblewrap tactile sensations. Perfect for typing and in reality great for gaming too. There didn't seem to be a compromise between one or the other.

All this proves is that switch preference is completely subjective. There are plenty of threads full of people extolling the virtues of Browns and declaring how awful Blues are for gaming.  The only way you'll know what's best for you is to try them out.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:14:55 »
There are plenty of threads full of people extolling the virtues of Browns and declaring how awful Blues are for gaming.

I've got a few Browns wearing all different key-sets from this forum here, but non of my Filco's have that so-called 'dirt rubbing' feeling as you put it.  I have one Filco that's close on being 5 years old and it's still as smooth as silk.  I always have multiple keyboard covers made so that when I'm away from my PC's, they're covered so that no dust gets to my babies.

I suspect that people leave their keyboards out in some dusty area and before you know it the keys start rubbing on dirt & particles.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:39:01 »
The Multicam paint-job is lovely. The printing is so good that it almost seems to be part of the plastic. Light seems to sink in for a millimetre or two. It doesn't of course, but the impression is there. It's really nice.

It IS part of the plastic.  Not part of the case's plastic, but a layer that has been adhered to the case through "water transfer printing".

Filco used to advertise these boards as having braided cables. Their website doesn't reference the cable now and sure enough mine came with a green standard plastic effort. I'm used to braided cables and it's surprising now much of a difference this makes aesthetically.

Here's my old one's braided cable; it's not that noticeable:

The plastic looks very similar to Bakelite in both colour and feel.

They look like Ebonite.

Does the reset point of the blue switches ever bother you or affect your gaming/typing?  Also, what is your typing style like?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:44:41 »
Pictures please!  :thumb:

I debated the camo key-set, but that felt like a step too far for me! Although, why I'm showing restraint when I own a camouflaged gaming keyboard God only knows.

If I could lay my hands on them, I'd have these caps:

(Attachment Link)

They look great! The brown Filcos are perfect though. There's no good reason to make any further changes with caps as good as these installed. If I can find a spherical esc. key that matches the Filcos for quality, I'll swap it in.

These look better :P

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 22:03:16 »
Interesting, Jumpjet.

You're not the first person I've heard describe browns as gritty. The people who don't like them seem to feel they're tactile, but not tactile enough.

Makes me wonder if clears might be the MX switch for me, but as you say, you can't know whether you'll like a switch until you try it.

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 12:23:20 »
The people who don't like them seem to feel they're tactile, but not tactile enough.

The tactile function works well. It's more a case of simply not liking the way it works. With Cherry switches, I personally go with either Blues or Reds. Complete opposites in terms of feel! I'm a big fan of Reds in fact. If the Camo board had come in Reds, it would have been a much harder decision. I'd probably gone with Blues though. Love the 'snap'!

I suspect that people leave their keyboards out in some dusty area and before you know it the keys start rubbing on dirt & particles.

Hmm...maybe I wasn't clear enough about that whole analogy things. I didn't mean that there actually was dirt on the switches, rather that they conveyed the impression of contamination to me. Your mileage may differ! Besides, I hope my pictures don't show my working environment to be that unkempt and dusty...

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:06:02 »
You're one of the first people I've heard who likes blues and reds equally, which makes sense, since they're such different switches. You don't miss the tactile bump when you're typing on reds? I think I would miss it.

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 16:26:03 »
Reds take a bit of adjustment after switches as positive as Blues or Unicomps, but for typing and gaming, they work really well. The rumours about increased typos with Reds is true enough for a short period, but you'd soon be flying. The actuation message is the bottoming out of the key (for me anyway!), but I find them great fun to type with. The stiffer, snappier feel of the Blues is completely different and frankly there's more to enjoy, but the actuation point and the tactile click has had zero negative effect on any gaming I do (and that's a lot. It's a job thing).

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 23:40:46 »
Your job is gaming, really?

Pretty cool.

Are you a reviewer or tester or something?

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:15:41 »
Haha! No, I wish!

I'm a designer/concept designer. It's really important to keep as wide a frame as reference as possible for my job, so I make sure I keep up with the latest gaming trends. Unfortunatly it's quite hard work though. Most people play one or two games for years at a time, or dip briefly into console games before disguarding them. I try to maintain a broad knowledge of genres at a fairly reasonable depth. There's this thing called the Zeitguist, and you absolutely have to stay in touch with that in any sector of design. I also do a massive amount of actual artwork and the occasional game design. In that respect, my choice of switches really do have to deal with high volumes of work and play!

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 12:44:53 »
Your sort of gaming sounds unusually grueling. 

By the way: I hope Edinburgh's treating you well. My aunt's big into genealogy, and according to her research, our family's earliest known ancestors are from there. I'm actually wearing an old sweater right now from the Edinburgh Woolen Mill.

I'm sure these are things you wanted to know.  :D :D :D

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 12:56:44 »
Everything in the Games industry is unusual and gruelling! Thank god I'm not a tester. That's a truly thankless task.

Edinburgh's a great city to live in. It's got a very Gothic Horror atmosphere to it. There's a slim chance it might become a real capital city again soon too. If that actually happens, the plan seem to be then to become part of Scandinavia! I kid you not!  Bet you didn't realise you were a viking, did you?  ;D

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 13:37:02 »
My father's side of the family is Scottish, and my mother's side is Norwegian, so Edinburgh's becoming Scandinavian will make me 100 percent Viking.

Excited about the looting. The pillaging, not so much.

Offline ioXt_2

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 20:42:42 »
Nice review and great pics!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:39:57 »
your review and photos seriously make me want to buy Filco doubleshots. BUt lemme guess, they're not selling keycap sets alone?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:47:03 »
your review and photos seriously make me want to buy Filco doubleshots. BUt lemme guess, they're not selling keycap sets alone?

Think jdcarpe said he got some from the Filco/Diatec website through Tenso.

Edit: Check out this thread.

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 10:08:29 »
You can get them direct from Filco Japan if you mail them first and ask, or you can get them here:

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=1181

The guys at the Keyboard Company will fill you in on international ordering if you're outside the EU.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 16:37:32 »
You can get them direct from Filco Japan if you mail them first and ask, or you can get them here:

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=1181

The guys at the Keyboard Company will fill you in on international ordering if you're outside the EU.

Interestingly, it's 2000 yen more for the Japanese version. But yeah, prices seem ok... not factoring in shipping.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:54:54 »
Sorry to necro the thread but recently I've been thinking to try Topre HiPro then I remember about this set.

I guess the main difference is that Topre HiPro is profiled (curved) and this is not profiled (flat).

How do you guys like the taller flat profile so far?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:12:54 »
Speaking for the Filco Doubles, they're a lot more 'cupped' than they might appear in the images. Only today I was blasting out an email and thought, ' God I love these caps!' My wife doesn't however: clackaclackaclackaclacka...

Increadibly well made, comfortable, very satisfying to use and objects of beauty (of a sort). I'd buy them again tomorrow without thinking.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 22:02:22 »
lol hmmmm now I feel like I have to try them one day, maybe before or after Topre HiPro.

Thanks Jumpjet !

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 22:15:50 »
Yeah, I saw those Filco Doubleshots on /r/mechs...they look great. I have them bookmarked in my "want to buy" folder.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 09:09:18 »
Come to think about it, do you guys know if Diatec (Filco parent company) sourced Signature Plastics to make the keycaps for them?

This look a lot like SA profile but I thought SA profile is contoured so I'm not sure.

But say if they were the same and we get it from Signature Plastics would we be able to get more color options?

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 13:16:14 »
I've read a lot of people saying that it was indeed SP that made these caps; I don't think Diatec or SP themselves have confirmed this though...

Either way I have bought these via proxy, will be getting these by the end of the month or so. Will be fitting them onto the MJ2 with blues, and hopefully I'll remember to post about them here!

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 19:28:58 »
I feel like these caps are much thicker than SP stuff, or am I mistaken?

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:42:56 »
Couldn't say I'm afraid, but certainly 'luxurious' springs to mind when using them!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:22:17 »
I've read a lot of people saying that it was indeed SP that made these caps; I don't think Diatec or SP themselves have confirmed this though...

Either way I have bought these via proxy, will be getting these by the end of the month or so. Will be fitting them onto the MJ2 with blues, and hopefully I'll remember to post about them here!

These are SP doubleshot ABS SA profile caps, many of us got them in our crap bags.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:26:02 »
Yep, I have two sets I bought from Diatec, and they are most definitely SP double shots in SA-profile. Really nice, very thick, doubleshot ABS with spherical tops.

in memoriam

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 04:34:58 »
I so want a custom cased Filco, they look so sick!
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:01:34 »
Yep, I have two sets I bought from Diatec, and they are most definitely SP double shots in SA-profile. Really nice, very thick, doubleshot ABS with spherical tops.

I bought this set FIRST before jil_jil's Camo Set came in.  I remembered someone said here on Geekhack that their 'black-version' of this key-set was in fact Brown, I would love to buy a 'Brown' set soon.

Just love the SA profile over all SP's other profiles, mainly due to such ease in typing with Cherry MX Blues, Clears and Greens  :thumb: .