Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579197 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #2000 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:55:27 »
More
is the case still designed to accommodate a weight insert? If so, I could definitely see a small spin-off group buy for just weights after this run is complete. I would be willing to head up this effort.

personally, i see no need for the binary stars on the back of the case - especially if they're just going to be etched. as limitz suggested, i think we should show them somewhere more visible on the case, and near the USB plug is a good choice for location.

thanks again for all your efforts, ninja

There is a stainless steel weight in the bottom of the case.

so there is a weight included, it will just not poke through the back of the case through the binary cutout? ie, there will not be a binary cutout?
yes.

Shucks, I really liked the cutout of the prototype / being able to see the weight.

+1 for this. imo, this is what used to make this keyboard unique

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #2001 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 02:37:51 »
If someone want to get rid of his spot, PM me :)

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2002 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 05:31:17 »

me first :p
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline cmd

« Reply #2003 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 06:22:46 »

me first
Get in line bros. Check the stamps. Likely it will just opened with a limit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Data

« Reply #2004 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 06:28:22 »
Because it would look ugly. So ugly. Please.

Uh, OK...  Care to explain?

This board has lost nearly all of its identity in the pursuit of making it cheap enough that folks will want to buy it.  I'm surprised people are still lining up to get one -- aside from the MIRA logo it's just another Korean TKL.  No engraved weight.  No cutout.  A neutered logo.  No custom motherboard.  Limited color options.  It's a shadow of the original idea, and you're ****ting on an attempt to bring some of the uniqueness back?

Whatever bro.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2005 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:39:49 »
 :cool:

This board has lost nearly all of its identity in the pursuit of making it cheap enough that folks will want to buy it.  I'm surprised people are still lining up to get one -- aside from the MIRA logo it's just another Korean TKL.  No engraved weight.  No cutout.  A neutered logo.  No custom motherboard.  Limited color options.  It's a shadow of the original idea, and you're ****ting on an attempt to bring some of the uniqueness back?

Whatever bro.

It's a terrible design decision that would be aesthetically displeasing and add clutter that we tried to remove with the new Mira logo.
While it would add uniqueness to the board, "unique" does not mean it will look good.
Furthermore, the plan is to make a good looking board but one that people can actually afford. There is no point in making a board so expensive that no one can enjoy. As expressed earlier in the thread numerous people still like the design enough to want it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Data

« Reply #2006 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:15:35 »
:cool:

Whatever bro.

It's a terrible design decision that would be aesthetically displeasing and add clutter that we tried to remove with the new Mira logo.

LOL

What are you even basing this judgment on?  Because I said so?  Have you tried it and rendered it to see how it looks?

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2007 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 18:10:01 »
More
is the case still designed to accommodate a weight insert? If so, I could definitely see a small spin-off group buy for just weights after this run is complete. I would be willing to head up this effort.

personally, i see no need for the binary stars on the back of the case - especially if they're just going to be etched. as limitz suggested, i think we should show them somewhere more visible on the case, and near the USB plug is a good choice for location.

so there is a weight included, it will just not poke through the back of the case through the binary cutout? ie, there will not be a binary cutout?
yes.

Shucks, I really liked the cutout of the prototype / being able to see the weight.

Honestly I liked the weight too. If you would like to pay for the weight for everyone to have it I will be happy to put it back in the design. A simple plate can be purchased in the correct thickness, cut out, and placed in the case bottom. The original design required a a piece of metal, machined out, and then placed in the case. Seems simple but not really. A machinist can describe the process better but it requires time and time is money.

Think about how many people would not purchase this keyboard at each price point in the survey earlier.

32% said the maximum they would pay is $400
25% said $450
39% said they would pay $475 or more

So, who do I keep happy? Do I try to get this made so everyone who wants one can afford it or do I make it more exclusive and charge $475 or more?
The other option is make a Mira base and a Mira deluxe. If I do that another group will be upset because their Mira is not as nice.
Currently my response is I will wait on the estimate and then take in consideration everyone's concerns and see how much leeway I have  in making changes. As for the binary symbol on the top - that will not happen. Also my CAD person is going to get irritated about  changes and me pestering them so I have to know what I want before I start requesting changes.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2008 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 22:32:57 »
More

yes.

Honestly I liked the weight too. If you would like to pay for the weight for everyone to have it I will be happy to put it back in the design. A simple plate can be purchased in the correct thickness, cut out, and placed in the case bottom. The original design required a a piece of metal, machined out, and then placed in the case. Seems simple but not really. A machinist can describe the process better but it requires time and time is money.

Show Image

Think about how many people would not purchase this keyboard at each price point in the survey earlier.

25% said $450

So, who do I keep happy? Do I try to get this made so everyone who wants one can afford it or do I make it more exclusive and charge $475 or more?
The other option is make a Mira base and a Mira deluxe. If I do that another group will be upset because their Mira is not as nice.
Currently my response is I will wait on the estimate and then take in consideration everyone's concerns and see how much leeway I have  in making changes. As for the binary symbol on the top - that will not happen. Also my CAD person is going to get irritated about  changes and me pestering them so I have to know what I want before I start requesting changes.

ND, thanks for replying. I appreciate the situation you are in. Not trying to make it worse or put pressure on you. Please understand that my opinion is simply that, and you do not have to incorporate everything everyone wants. I make my comments with the full understanding that my preferences are probably too expensive to implement in the final design.

I like the idea of a "deluxe" option for those who want to go all-in   :thumb:

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #2009 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 03:38:08 »
I think I was a bit apprehensive on the price exceeding $400 early on. Having seen the different weight cut out (plain vs with the design), I think keeping the uniqueness and the quality of the board high is well worth the price.

Not giving up my spot is paying off. Thanks Ninjadoc for all your hard work

Offline Wazazaby

« Reply #2010 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:00:45 »
This board looks dope!

Offline lol

« Reply #2011 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:23:45 »
I like the idea of a deluxe but I won't be holding my breath...

IDK, I'd rather a custom have a little character to it. I'm not sure what the appeal is of putting in $400+ for a clean - or what I'm afraid this keyboard has been heading towards - a generic look. If cost is such an issue but people want a more conservative look surely there are other options out there? As I said earlier, I'd have second thoughts when the likely scenario happens that it's going to be $400 for basically a MIRA logo on a plain black case. Don't get me wrong, I'm confident it'll still be a beautiful board that the majority will be happy with and clearly has had a lot of work put into it but I personally just wouldn't be able to justify the cost.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2012 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 13:03:44 »
More

yes.

Show Image

25% said $450

Hi, ninjadoc!!! Thank you for the great work. May I suggest you make a poll.  My vote is for making 2 versions. Finger up for "deluxe".

Offline muon

« Reply #2013 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 02:09:06 »
Hey, I'm interested in taking someone's spot if anyone's thinking of backing out  :thumb:

Offline Bucky

« Reply #2014 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:57:37 »
I have transferred my spot to muon.

Offline muon

« Reply #2015 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 11:03:45 »
So stoked  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 11:28:09 by muon »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2016 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:26:04 »
Still looking to pickup someone's spot, PM me if you're looking to back out

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2017 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 17:05:56 »
What about an option with the double-circle engraving at the front instead of the word "MIRA"?  And it doesn't need to be full disk indents--could just be rounded circle line indents.  Would be a more identifying feature of the design as opposed to just the name, which is a lot like Tgr.  Wouldn't be centered over the ^ arrow key, but rather centered on the arrow cluster.  Kind of like this quick Paint sketch (of course, better scaled and properly centered to look good):

140801-0

That would be more in line with a symbolic Astronomy theme as opposed to a name (my niece's name is Mirrah).

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 June 2016, 17:11:03 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2018 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 19:53:10 »
Just to give eveyone something to look at.

I haven't forgotten you, I'm at the mercy of machine shops. If it was up to everyone in this thread would be typing on a Mira but....it isn't up to me.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2019 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 20:06:01 »
Just to give eveyone something to look at.
Show Image

I haven't forgotten you, I'm at the mercy of machine shops. If it was up to everyone in this thread would be typing on a Mira but....it isn't up to me.

Looks cleaner. Shame about the weight design!

Offline ninjadoc

Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL picture update
« Reply #2020 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 17:49:33 »

For all of those that feel like it's idenity has been lost here's a few pictures prior to getting anodized. Angle is still there, base and sides have the unique curve. The back is too narrow to put "Mira" on and would require a complete redesign. I may reduce the size of the plate in the base of the case by 25% - 30%. I like the other plate better

but the slant and the machining of it makes it expensive.

Depending on shipping from the location of manufacture this would currently go off at around $400 - $425 + shipping from me to each of you.

Enjoy the pics.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #2021 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 22:01:35 »
Very nice ninjadoc. Thanks for the pics
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2022 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 22:58:03 »
Love it! Thx for the awesomeness  ninjadoc
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline ika

« Reply #2023 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 23:14:50 »
Can we get a better pic of the side profile? It's kind of hard to tell what the "curve" looks like, I had to do a double-take. Otherwise it looks great!

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #2024 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 01:29:12 »
Looks dope. If someone want to sell his spot, please PM me :)

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2025 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 22:24:47 »
Beautiful work ninjadoc :)

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2026 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 14:57:34 »
I noticed that the usb cut out has shifted from the left side to the middle right. Was there a change in PCB?

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #2027 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 17:32:56 »
Looking to buy spot if your willing to

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2028 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:03:46 »
I noticed that the usb cut out has shifted from the left side to the middle right. Was there a change in PCB?

Plan has been to use Leeku's PCB for a long time.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2029 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:05:00 »
Can we get a better pic of the side profile? It's kind of hard to tell what the "curve" looks like, I had to do a double-take. Otherwise it looks great!

As soon as I get the board I'll get some good pictures. I think it looks good and my contact is very happy with it.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2030 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:20:20 »
As we are moving towards the beginning of the end, we would like to see how many people are interested in snagging a spot for the Mira buy.
It would be nice to compile a list of all those interested so that we can try to get in as many people as possible.
I will also go back in the thread to collect the names of those who have previously expressed their interest.

Replying here does not necessarily guarantee you a spot, but we will do everything that we can to accommodate as much as possible.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2031 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:29:45 »
I'm in. ;D

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #2032 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:32:57 »
I'm definitely interested :)

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2033 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 19:20:56 »
Interested.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #2034 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 19:24:00 »
Put me down for one.

Message me on here, reddit or slack under this same username if I make it in and you are ready for payments.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 19:26:11 by HouseofSuffering »

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #2035 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 19:40:40 »
Interested, even more so if some sort of diffuser element were introduced (or something to utilize the backside rgb LEDs ;) )

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #2036 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 21:17:26 »
I'm still in.

Offline tuba section

« Reply #2037 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 21:35:27 »
I am very interested, thanks!

Offline duhhey

« Reply #2038 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 21:46:01 »
interested!!

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #2039 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 21:48:06 »
I assume if we already paid a deposit you don't need our in, but just in case I'm still in.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2040 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 21:50:30 »
I'm interested in picking up one of these

Also, where can I find more info on the PCB? I saw a reply saying that it was the L3alphas TKL pcb being used, but a google search doesn't really bring anything up

Offline logomachy

« Reply #2041 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 22:22:32 »
I'm interested in picking up one of these

Also, where can I find more info on the PCB? I saw a reply saying that it was the L3alphas TKL pcb being used, but a google search doesn't really bring anything up

It's programmed with JigOn
http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=2702787&mid=board_sw

Offline muon

« Reply #2042 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 22:28:25 »
Just confirming that I am in :) I took Bucky's spot a couple months back.

Offline Butter

« Reply #2043 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 22:29:46 »
I am in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2044 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 00:04:47 »
I should still have spot 18.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline sitch

« Reply #2045 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 06:54:37 »
Interested

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #2046 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 09:11:58 »
I'm in and I'm #38
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline baotung

« Reply #2047 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:58:30 »
Interested.

Offline xvetter

« Reply #2048 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 16:25:19 »
Interested  ;)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2049 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 14:40:31 »
I'm still in - esp. if theanyday would trade me his #32 for my #25  ;)