Author Topic: Realforce R3 vs R3S vs R2?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Realforce R3 vs R3S vs R2?
« on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 07:00:49 »
So I've an silent realforce R2 TKL. Love it. (I'm a Topre elitist).

So naturally I'm intrigued by the R3.

But how's the R3 different from the R3S (besides bluetooth and dye sublimation), and compared to the R2 silent? I guess same switches and weight? or did that change also?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline bansheetango

Re: Realforce R3 vs R3S vs R2?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 07:39:15 »
Also, are there any other places to buy R3 except Japanese users on ebay?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 07:50:11 »
Just started looking into this. Don't know yet, but I also cannot find any seller.. so weird. It was relatively easy to get my hands on other realforce bords, and I live in the EU even.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 18:41:50 »
The R3S is basically the R2 with a new name.  I've bought two R3 keyboards, a regular PC version and a Mac version. I think they look nicer than the R2, and the software is far superior, but they don't feel as nice.  They use fewer screws than the R2 to hold the PCB and plate together, and they sound and feel worse than the R2. Mechanicalkeyboards.com sells the R3 in the US. I don't know if they ship to Europe, though. The R3 lineup has also been simplified. They're almost all silenced and uniform 45g, so there's no PFU limited edition anymore. 

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 February 2024, 02:37:53 »
The R3S is basically the R2 with a new name.  I've bought two R3 keyboards, a regular PC version and a Mac version. I think they look nicer than the R2, and the software is far superior, but they don't feel as nice.  They use fewer screws than the R2 to hold the PCB and plate together, and they sound and feel worse than the R2. Mechanicalkeyboards.com sells the R3 in the US. I don't know if they ship to Europe, though. The R3 lineup has also been simplified. They're almost all silenced and uniform 45g, so there's no PFU limited edition anymore.

This makes me so sad.. I'd even pay more than before for a premium Topre board. Topre was already expensive, I don't really care. Oh well... perhaps stock up on some R2s if I can find m.

Offline Tribal

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 05:58:58 »
R3, with its battery, is heavier and provides an excellent “base” for the keys.  I have R2 and R3 in 45g and the R3 feels much crisper.  I’m never going to buy a heavy Norbauer case, but I imagine that the R3 is a step in that direction.

R3S is basically the R2 PFU Limited, but with worse keycaps.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 17:12:03 »
The R3 just uses two AA batteries, so that doesn't add too much weight. I still think the R2 is a better and more uniform sounding keyboard. I got rid of both of my R3s and went back to an R2 because of how bad the R3 sounded and felt in comparison. I agree that the R2S is basically an R2 with worse keycaps.  I wish Topre could make a black keyboard with visible legends that aren't going to wear off.  The Hi-Pro keycaps were much more legible with their lighter grey color.