Author Topic: Good PC speakers - purchased Ruark MR1 MarkII  (Read 18208 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Good PC speakers - purchased Ruark MR1 MarkII
« on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:11:22 »
I'm looking for a new pair of speakers for my PC.
What would you guys suggest/recommend?

Requirements: to be small, like 10cm wide speakers max, as I do not have enough space for them. Active, i dont want to use any amp etc

- 2.1, unless you convince me that there is a good 2.0 system (like Edifier R1280DB or R1000T4) :)
- I will wall mount them
- Cable length - 2 meters as they would go above my monitor and woofer would end up on the floor
- I read that those with USB input have built in DACs and they sound amazing, is that true?
- Price - I don't want to spend more than £200 - I'm not an audiophile, but I like a good quality sound

I have Harman Kardon Soundsticks but cables are not possible to extend, so I could wall mount them, so will be selling these to get new ones.
Sound quality must be pretty good, similar to Soundsticks. I prefer 2.1, as its easier to get smaller speakers on the wall and big woofer on the floor.
However, I was looking around for small speakers and narrowed it down to two kida good sets - Kanto YU2 and Audioengine A2+.

Unless, you guys know other similar size speakers that I could use.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 March 2021, 04:55:33 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Good PC speakers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:35:18 »
Do the Soundsticks have kevlar coated cables or something?  If not they can be cut and extended, you're not an audiophile so a little more solder and a different wire in the signal path wont be a problem.  Sound is as much about signature (how much bass vs treble etc) as it is 'quality' so if you like the Soundsticks that's something to consider too.

Or to answer part of the question: saying 'USB DAC' is like saying 'car' - there are good ones but the name itself says nothing about the quality.  If the speakers have a DAC and an amplifier in there (as would be required) then on the plus side they've hopefully been designed together so should sound better than some imaginary baseline but you will be paying for the electronics so the speakers themselves should sound worse than some plain speakers of the same cost, assuming you have something good sounding to connect them to.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:56:51 »
Do the Soundsticks have kevlar coated cables or something?  If not they can be cut and extended, you're not an audiophile so a little more solder and a different wire in the signal path wont be a problem.  Sound is as much about signature (how much bass vs treble etc) as it is 'quality' so if you like the Soundsticks that's something to consider too.

Or to answer part of the question: saying 'USB DAC' is like saying 'car' - there are good ones but the name itself says nothing about the quality.  If the speakers have a DAC and an amplifier in there (as would be required) then on the plus side they've hopefully been designed together so should sound better than some imaginary baseline but you will be paying for the electronics so the speakers themselves should sound worse than some plain speakers of the same cost, assuming you have something good sounding to connect them to.

I was looking at those Audioengine A2+ speakers, but they are more expensive and lack of woofer may put me off a bit.

If I was going 2.0 and bookshelf size, I was looking at Edifier R1280DB or Edifier R1000T4. These look nice, don't know if I would be missing woofer?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2021, 09:35:14 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 19:34:42 »
Everyone always recommends Audioengine A5 for a reason
I see KEF recommended a lot too

What are your plans for the old ones? Mine are failing hard, popping and constantly hissing. Been using headphones for the past few months so I'm in the market.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2021, 19:38:06 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 20:48:01 »
Get a used home theater amplifier with optical input and some regular $100 / pair bookshelfs.

Then get a 10inch or 12inch powered sub.

You want to use Optical toslink because the PC is extremely electrically noisy.

Hifi is wayyyyy over priced these days. and it's all bull****.

There's no such thing as reference sound absent a reference environment.  Everything they sell is just colorized noise.  There is no objective way to price it, so the entire market has deteriorated into snake oil.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 20:50:21 »
Audioengine, Edifier,  They're exactly like the Razer/Corsair of Keyboards.

Offline Exluna

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 23:25:54 »
Below 200 is a little tough if you want good audio man. A good pair of secondhand Yamaha studio monitors is already over 300 on ebay. You should look there though, you might be able to find a good deal on a pair. Personally I don't buy PC speakers. Once you listen to a good pair of studio monitors... Man you'll never go back. They just sound so GOOD! Pricey tho, so... Choice is yours.

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 07:43:09 »
I'm not looking for a amazing sound etc, just a good sounding set with long cable so I could hang it - Soundsticks are amazing for me, but their freaking cables cannot be extended without cutting/soldering. I bought extension for s-video cable they use for right speaker (controller) and it didn't work.

I had some bookcase speakers 2.0 in the past and they were crap, I mean not good for vocals etc
I use my pc 70% watching stuff like youtube or movies, forums and 30% gaming. For good gaming session I use headphones anyway.
So looking for a set that will be easily hanged and not cost arm and leg. Dont have space for big guns, like I would like to have - floor standing set etc

I'm also looking for a wall hanging solution - I dont have a lot of space on wall to do it, so need something small, like a clamp or something....

I have those hooks, but they come in very tight, so once I mount them I wont be able to take speakers off easily, just rip them out from wall making a hole:)
Some clamp would be easier. I could put woofer somewhere closer to the monitor to make cables long enough.. dont know...
What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:46:56 by phinix »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 08:28:00 »
I have the iLoud micro monitors for my desk, they are real nice. You don't want a built in dac theyre gimicky. Get a Schiit dac in your price range. Check out this site too. https://hifiguides.com/

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 08:55:08 »
I'm not a speakers guy, but I would avoid Audioengine.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:16:50 »
Speakers are like buying monitors, lots of snake oil or overpriced garbage.
I seriously hate buying either.

I picked up a used Creative 5.1 set years ago for a song and I treat them like gold because I know replacing them will be an expensive nightmare.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:34:01 »
snake oil or overpriced garbage

Amps, DACs, headphones, IEMs, speakers, surround sound, ANC, burn-in, FR graphs, SNR, THD, the list goes on and on.. Almost the entire audiophile industry is either snake oil or overpriced or both.

I think to be actively involved in that hobby you need to have an indisposable income.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 20:21:17 »
I am using an older set of Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Speakers and they have been working well for me. And the cables are pretty long already and only need an RCA type extension.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 20:21:59 »

Amps, DACs, headphones, IEMs, speakers, surround sound, ANC, burn-in, FR graphs, SNR, THD, the list goes on and on.. Almost the entire audiophile industry is either snake oil or overpriced or both.

I think to be actively involved in that hobby you need to have an indisposable income.

Unlike the custom Keyboard community........
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 03:07:49 »

They aren't even remotely the same, in fact about the only similarity is that you can spend a lot of money on it.
There's no billion dollar company trying to convince you that you NEED a $1000 keyboard and $300 usb cable to make your keyboard type faster. It's community based and community driven with many of the vendors and even manufacturing being done by the community itself.

Yes, we argue/debate over materials, hot swap, clicky versus tactile vs linear, but it's all what you can afford and prefer.  Audio is all about how much money they can fleece from customers.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 05:06:00 »

They aren't even remotely the same, in fact about the only similarity is that you can spend a lot of money on it.
There's no billion dollar company trying to convince you that you NEED a $1000 keyboard and $300 usb cable to make your keyboard type faster. It's community based and community driven with many of the vendors and even manufacturing being done by the community itself.

Yes, we argue/debate over materials, hot swap, clicky versus tactile vs linear, but it's all what you can afford and prefer.  Audio is all about how much money they can fleece from customers.

There is a huge swathe of audiophile mumbo-jumbo idiocy with audio, but it's not all terrible. I'd say that it's easier to get in fairly deep with the DIY/learning aspect of audio (cabinet design, tweaking crossovers, acoustic testing, then looking into room interactions with the speakers) than it is with keyboards. Keyboard DIY (in the 'custom' keyboard sense) tends to be much more formulaic/copy and paste, much less creativity. I think there are exceptions with the guys 3D printing their own whacky boards, but they are very rare.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2021, 05:07:36 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 07:20:52 »
I also wish they'd make in-floor speakers.  Or something of a flat transducer that can go under the couch or bolt to it.

The object based sound is good but there isn't much of a calibration process. It's only been gimmicky.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:09:32 »
So far I have enjoyed my Kanto YU2's and they do have a pre-out to add a sub as well to make them 2.1.  I would run my Rotel gear but my wife has forbidden that for the time being due to space constraints (so it sits in storage till I can rescue it).  The YU2's can run off the USB internal DAC or off of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm so you can pick your poison there - the internal DAC is fairly good but they run better when I run them to my Soundblaster Zx card as it gives me more control via the EQ in the software (I normally run them at 2.1 direct if I'm running to my Zx).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:18:47 »
So far I have enjoyed my Kanto YU2's and they do have a pre-out to add a sub as well to make them 2.1.  I would run my Rotel gear but my wife has forbidden that for the time being due to space constraints (so it sits in storage till I can rescue it).  The YU2's can run off the USB internal DAC or off of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm so you can pick your poison there - the internal DAC is fairly good but they run better when I run them to my Soundblaster Zx card as it gives me more control via the EQ in the software (I normally run them at 2.1 direct if I'm running to my Zx).

I've seen these- why are they so expensive? Nice size etc but expensive...

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:21:11 »
I love the look of Edifier R1700BT - very nice.

Plus, listening of this comparison makes me want them even more :)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:32:01 »
I guess they've gone up in price - by alot, I picked up mine for $100 (USD) a few years ago.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline jamster

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 09:28:30 »
Would you consider building your own from a kit?

https://www.parts-express.com/Overnight-Sensations-MT-Speaker-Pair-Kit-300-706

International shipping for me was around $40, iirc.

You can put it all together using a screwdriver, wood glue and clamps. Pair it with an inexpensive Class D amp, and you have speakers that will totally blow away anything else that you could buy off the shelf for similar money (or double/triple).

You were being tongue in cheek there, right? Judging speaker quality via a youtube video played over another set of speakers doesn't really work ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 09:39:09 by jamster »

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 09:53:19 »
Would you consider building your own from a kit?

https://www.parts-express.com/Overnight-Sensations-MT-Speaker-Pair-Kit-300-706

International shipping for me was around $40, iirc.

You can put it all together using a screwdriver, wood glue and clamps. Pair it with an inexpensive Class D amp, and you have speakers that will totally blow away anything else that you could buy off the shelf for similar money (or double/triple).

You were being tongue in cheek there, right? Judging speaker quality via a youtube video played over another set of speakers doesn't really work ;)

No thanks, I dont want to make my own speakers :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:18:54 »
Now I'm taking closer look at the Cambridge Audio Minx series - Minx Min12s as a pair of speakers plus their X201 subwoofer.

Do you guys have any experience with Cambridge Audio Minx?

EDIT: nevermind - looks like you cannot connect satellites to this woofer, you would need a receiver/amp.

Back to search for a nice little set....
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:08:05 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:11:10 »

How are those YU2s?

Would you say these are ok without sub for regular music, movies, youtube etc?
I'm not looking for huge and loud system, just a speakers for PC in general. I like a good bass, but if there is out for one, I could add one later if really needed.

What sub would be best for those?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:26:58 »
You need 8-12 inch cones for good bass.  So a separate sub is a must.

Get a receiver that does toslink, then  a pair of bookshelf and a powered sub.

You can also go toslink, dac, amp, bookshelf, line level->sub.

You can also get powered studio monitors, but imho they're overpriced.

Offline phinix

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 03:00:31 »

Jeez, lot of stuff:)

Every time I'm on the market for some tech, looking for a specific item with specific requirements, I hit the wall - the thing I'm after doesn't really exist, like I was wanting a rainbow unicorn...
Technology nowadays cannot make things I want :D

So I cannot have small set of 2.0 with enough bass, or 2.1 small enough to cover my needs?

I thought that those Cambridge Audio Minx minis with their sub would be perfect, expensive, but otherwise perfect - I could wall mount satellites with one screw, have a long cable, but apparently even that sub has built in amp, I cannot connect satellites to it, it needs "receiver".

So search continues...

Offline yui

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 05:13:51 »

there is more than size to bass response than size, the shape of the chamber will make a huge difference, i have 6cm speakers that have a bit more base than my 3 way bookshelf (although i am not sure of the size of the elements in them, old sonys that are overall about 30*25*60cm) and those had better response than my old logitec 2.1 (i think it had a 20cm sub and 5cm for the 2 speakers, could be wrong though, haven't seen this thing in a decade)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 07:48:08 »
There is slightly more to bass than simply driver size, but not that much more. Port reflex or sealed cab design fundamentally cannot make up for the shortcomings of small drivers.

I've only dabbled lightly with speaker builds and messing with port lengths and cabinet stuffing to tune bass, but I have found that using larger drivers (in my case 8" vs 4.5") had an absolutely massive difference in bass quality, even when the larger drivers/cabinet combination just ran with gaping holes in the back instead of a tuned bass reflex port. I'm finding with the 8" drivers, the bass response just starts becoming tactile, like it does with subs.

@phinix, I know you mentioned not wanting to build your own speakers, but a kit is probably an order of magnitude simpler than building a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2021, 07:53:10 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 08:54:34 »
Firm on this,  you need 8 inch cones minimum for BASS that can Jiggle the stomach fat.

Bass for your ears is doable on any size cones, but ears are not why we need subwoofers.

Some designs have passive drivers with a smaller main driver to mimic the effect of larger cones, this is fine for space constraint cases, but even 12" subs arn't that big. bout the size of an ottoman.

Offline yui

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 10:23:54 »
Firm on this,  you need 8 inch cones minimum for BASS that can Jiggle the stomach fat.

Bass for your ears is doable on any size cones, but ears are not why we need subwoofers.

Some designs have passive drivers with a smaller main driver to mimic the effect of larger cones, this is fine for space constraint cases, but even 12" subs arn't that big. bout the size of an ottoman.

to be honest i pretty much always listen at about 2/10 on the volume knob by fear of being an annoyance to the neighbors, so that may be why my "small" speakers do have plenty enough bass for me
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline phinix

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:55:09 »
I'm thinking closer to Kanto YU2 now...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 16:07:27 »
For main bookshelf, You want 4-6 inch cones w/ ribbon tweeter if possible.

And of course +12" sub.

Also throw in a measurement microphone so you can set up dat bass at the right volume.

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 16:08:22 »
For main bookshelf, You want 4-6 inch cones w/ ribbon tweeter if possible.

And of course +12" sub.

Also throw in a measurement microphone so you can set up dat bass at the right volume.

I understand but I cannot have that.
I only have around 10cm around on my desk and now I know I wont be hanging it on wall :(
I'm thinking kanto YU2 and then later on some cheap power subwoofer, any to be honest and those speakers have mono out for sub.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 16:09:29 »
Cut into the wall and or remove wall. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 16:37:54 »
You could put speaker mounts into the table you've got, just drill some holes on the top left right, and bolt it on..

Offline phinix

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 16:44:40 »
You could put speaker mounts into the table you've got, just drill some holes on the top left right, and bolt it on..

I'm planning to mount speakers 10-15cm above the desk anyway, but still - on right side I have wall, left side, end of desk/PC.
So have around 10cm width for them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:05:05 »
Consider moving the desk so you get more space for better stereo separation.

Offline phinix

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:08:55 »
Consider moving the desk so you get more space for better stereo separation.

Can't move either - its a small room. My new desk I'm going to buy will be 140cm wide and having 48" OLED hanging on the wall, it leaves me very little space on sides for speakers.

I think these small Kanto YU2 would be enough for me. Worst case I could always add woofer.

Offline phinix

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:19:17 »
subwoofer is not an optional.

Show Image

I know I know...  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:24:43 »
Klipsch Reference R-12SW  or R-10SW,  they go on sale for $150-160

For the satellites,  it's usually better to go name brand, because their engineering team is solid, with the smaller brands, there'd be shenanigans.

Offline phinix

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:38:00 »
Klipsch Reference R-12SW  or R-10SW,  they go on sale for $150-160

For the satellites,  it's usually better to go name brand, because their engineering team is solid, with the smaller brands, there'd be shenanigans.

This is 300W woofer.

I should first say what size is my room.
Its 2x4m room :) Where most of it is taken by staircase.
I literally sit under the stairs, like a freakin Harry Potter.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:40:04 »

The watt doesn't matter, you need the BIG cones to get DEEP...

Offline phinix

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:43:45 »

The watt doesn't matter, you need the BIG cones to get DEEP...

My Harman Kardon Soundsticks have 20W woofer, 6" and its enough for me. ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:00:44 »
It doesn't matter if you buy 300w speakers or 20watt speakers ,  you'll listen to them at ~1 to 5 watts (consumption).

The 300w is peak output of the amplifier in the chain that's sold to you, it's just marketing it means nothing.

The SIZE of the cone is what allows the subwoofer to produce deeper bass at an audible range relative to the rest of the response profile.

Offline phinix

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:03:10 »
It doesn't matter if you buy 300w speakers or 20watt speakers ,  you'll listen to them at ~1 to 5 watts (consumption).

The 300w is peak output of the amplifier in the chain that's sold to you, it's just marketing it means nothing.

The SIZE of the cone is what allows the subwoofer to produce deeper bass at an audible range relative to the rest of the response profile.

Yeah and that woofer with 6" cone is enough.
I wish I could find other 6" woofers - Kanto SUB6 has 6" but its £250, expensive, especially paying £200 already for speakers.
I found yamaha 8" woofer for £150, cheaper.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:06:57 »
In this case, just get the Biggest cone relative to price.

Offline phinix

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:14:37 »
In this case, just get the Biggest cone relative to price.

Will do  :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 19:48:37 »
I have "discovered" another good pair of speakers - Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2.
They look amazing, plus reviews say they are really good.
They are 3cm wider, so this might be a problem, need to re-measure my space ere to find out - plus they are more expensive - £329 vs Kanto's £209.