Author Topic: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (GB Dates/Times / FE Raffle Announced)  (Read 251454 times)

Offline lbaron

Re: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (SE Color Poll Added)
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 19:32:36 »
Hi All, yes proto types have been ordered about a month ago.  They are getting close to finishing.  As for dimensions they are as follows: 12.58IN x 4.36IN.   Front height is 0.63IN.  Rear height is 1.18IN

Offline leovu

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 21:36:15 »
Hot damn! Very interested

Offline leexy

Re: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (More Vendors Announced)
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:37:58 »
Quick update:

Vendors and Quantities

Standard Edition

We're very proud to announce we've partnered up with CannonKeys in the US, MyKeyboard in the EU, and ILUMKB in the AP/China market to handle all sales of the Iron165 SE.

What this hopefully means, and why we're so excited to work with these amazing stores, is that we should be able to offer not only a smoother buying experience, but also a higher quantity of boards than we initially thought possible.

USA - CannonKeys - Up to 100 boards
EU - MyKeyboard - Up to 50 boards
AP - ILUMKB - Up to 50 boards

price in SGD from ILUMKB?

Offline modeseven

« Reply #353 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 19:35:57 »
Wow. Interested. Down the rabbit hole...

Offline voxkey

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:39:12 »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update regarding colors since there is some misinformation floating around and I've been asked many questions about this.

*** COLORS ARE NOT FINALIZED YET ***

The poll ONLY served as a way to collect information about the communities' preferences. While it will weigh heavily into our decision making, it is not the only source of feedback we've collected. We'll be making a final decision on colors once we've seen the prototypes and color samples.

More news on colors very, very soon  :thumb:

Offline SUB01

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:49:18 »
*praying for navy* btw any news on pricing? The post seems to show that the FE pricing is finalized but it implies the SE is not. Will it stay at 445 or are there hopes for a lower price/ price bracket?

Offline voxkey

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:54:41 »
*praying for navy* btw any news on pricing? The post seems to show that the FE pricing is finalized but it implies the SE is not. Will it stay at 445 or are there hopes for a lower price/ price bracket?

We're hoping for this price, but until every single cost is realized, we can't say for certain. Quite a lot goes into making a keyboard that most people aren't aware of. Beyond the obvious, which is the manufacturing of the board and pcb, there are also misc costs like hardware, packaging, etc. Extras also have to be ordered to make sure we can fill every order with A-stock product. Then there's payment processing fees, freight, taxes, etc.

That's not to say we pulled these prices out of thin air either. They are based on proposed costs and expectations from every part of the supply chain. We just need to finalize the last of those details and lock in prices. The biggest part (manufacturing) has already been worked out, just the small stuff is left.

We're also keeping a close eye on the proposed tariffs as well.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:41:57 »
That must be really rough, wish you guys luck on that. Btw, two questions about the pcb: Does it support antighosting? Are there any widely available pcbs that fit the keyboard? I'm always worried with high end custom keyboards that I'll spill water on it and the keyboard just becomes a paperweight.

edit: Ty phylux for pointing that out. However, as there was nothing like a list of pcbs that would fit this board, I was just wondering how the designers would fullfill this goal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 14:00:03 by SUB01 »

Offline phlux

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:51:15 »
That must be really rough, wish you guys luck on that. Btw, two questions about the pcb: Does it support antighosting? Are there any widely available pcbs that fit the keyboard? I'm always worried with high end custom keyboards that I'll spill water on it and the keyboard just becomes a paperweight.

Per the OP on replaceable parts:

What parts will be user-replaceable?

Our hope is that everything, except the case itself will be user-replaceable in some form or fashion. One of our main goals when designing this board was to make absolutely sure that no IRON165 will ever become a glorified paperweight.

Offline stuey138

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 15:58:41 »

edit: Ty phylux for pointing that out. However, as there was nothing like a list of pcbs that would fit this board, I was just wondering how the designers would fullfill this goal.
The user replaceable aspect probably means that they'll offer the ability to purchase multiple pcbs and plates in the event that you brick a pcb, not that you'll be able to use commonly available ones. It's also possible that they'll use an interchangeable pcb design between the iron165 and 265 and so on later down the line such as how the Rama m6 has maintained the same pcb dimensions throughout its various renditions

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #360 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 16:33:50 »

all mechanical keyboard are antighosting, it's the nature of the tech
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SUB01

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 17:23:06 »

So it has some about of x-key rollover built in? Sorry for nub questions I don't know much about pcb design.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 17:24:44 »

So it has some about of x-key rollover built in? Sorry for nub questions I don't know much about pcb design.

KRO is different than ghosting

most boards are 6KRO
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline voxkey

Re: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (PROTOS ARE HERE!!!)
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:16:03 »
Prototypes are here!!!! Pics in the first post!!!!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:28:49 »
Damn! Hard to believe those are photos and not more renders. Looks amazing!

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:32:54 »
Wow plum ano turned out way nicer than I imagined, and copper less pink/shiny!

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:36:45 »
Sick, extremely tempted

Edit: Ne typing test avail?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:38:32 by Lil »

Offline SUB01

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:42:51 »
Damn. The renders weren't lying! I'm guessing the finish on the copper is not the finish you will be going for in the final models? If you ever want to sell the FE prototype for a reasonable price let me know.

edit: +1 request for typing test too please!

Offline voxkey

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:49:03 »
Damn. The renders weren't lying! I'm guessing the finish on the copper is not the finish you will be going for in the final models? If you ever want to sell the FE prototype for a reasonable price let me know.

The finish on the prototypes is what we are going with. We initially wanted polished copper, but it was far too expensive and risky to pull off.

Typing tests to come after the holiday!!! :)

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:54:13 »
Damn Those finishes are smooth  :cool:

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 18:23:36 »
I prefer the flat/matte finish, gonna actually enter the raffle now largely because of that reason.

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #371 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 19:43:12 »
I know these are protos, so I understand they won't be perfect, but I wanted to at least ask what your thoughts are on the small defects on the FE. I noticed the gaps around the copper base plate aren't very uniform, and the front edge seems to sit lower than the top case. Are these things that are likely to be fixed before the final product? I'll probably try for an FE regardless (it looks sexy AF and I'm a huge sucker for copper), but wanted to ask. Image shows the areas in question.

225423-0

Offline voxkey

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 19:56:26 »
I know these are protos, so I understand they won't be perfect, but I wanted to at least ask what your thoughts are on the small defects on the FE. I noticed the gaps around the copper base plate aren't very uniform, and the front edge seems to sit lower than the top case. Are these things that are likely to be fixed before the final product? I'll probably try for an FE regardless (it looks sexy AF and I'm a huge sucker for copper), but wanted to ask. Image shows the areas in question.

(Attachment Link)

Good eye there. The top and bottom aren’t actually screwed together and gaskets aren’t installed. We just wanted to get pics up as fast as possible.

We’ll be going over everything very, very closely and make adjustments where necessary. In fact, we’ve already made two adjustments/tweaks. We want these to be perfect.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #373 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 20:30:53 »
Really dig that purple SE. Please use this color  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #374 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 21:10:46 »
While we are asking questions about the FE prototype, I have a few more. The white on the FE is supposed to be e-white, but in a lot of the pictures they look grey. Is that just because of the inconsistent lighting? Also if you have the prototype pcb finished, can I have a measurement on the size of the switch pin holes? If you could measure 10 and average them, I can do some guess work to see if holtites/millmax/chineseknockoffmillmaxes will work.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 21:25:04 »
While we are asking questions about the FE prototype, I have a few more. The white on the FE is supposed to be e-white, but in a lot of the pictures they look grey. Is that just because of the inconsistent lighting? Also if you have the prototype pcb finished, can I have a measurement on the size of the switch pin holes? If you could measure 10 and average them, I can do some guess work to see if holtites/millmax/chineseknockoffmillmaxes will work.

ewhite just looks like that, most boards i've seen with it aren't a perfect white, and tend to be more grey

and millmax sockets suck just solder em

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #376 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 21:27:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Good eye there. The top and bottom aren’t actually screwed together and gaskets aren’t installed. We just wanted to get pics up as fast as possible.

We’ll be going over everything very, very closely and make adjustments where necessary. In fact, we’ve already made two adjustments/tweaks. We want these to be perfect.

Oh I see, glad to hear you're aiming for perfect :) I'm excited for the GB to start!

Offline SUB01

« Reply #377 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 21:37:09 »

ewhite just looks like that, most boards i've seen with it aren't a perfect white, and tend to be more grey

Can you tell me why they suck? I personally don't really see the downside to adding them. Also soldering is a pain, why bother when you don't have to? Especially for a board this expensive I want to be able to experience more than one kind of switch on it in the long run, as well as relube switches in the coming years. Unsoldering is super tedious if you don't have a pump.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 22:55:35 »

The finish on the prototypes is what we are going with. We initially wanted polished copper, but it was far too expensive and risky to pull off.

It gonna lie, that flat proto color of iron isn't very appealing. It's almost like a lipstick Maybelline.
But I'll wait to see what the finished product looks like. Best wishes!

Offline CDKing

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 23:26:33 »
Have you guys considered doing polished copper for the badge at least? Just seeing as it's a much smaller part.
Or do you think that would make the board look less cohesive?

Offline SUB01

« Reply #380 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 00:07:46 »

It gonna lie, that flat proto color of iron isn't very appealing. It's almost like a lipstick Maybelline.
But I'll wait to see what the finished product looks like. Best wishes!

Meh I understand where you are coming from, and I mostly agree that the polished finish in the renders look better. However, it shouldn't be that hard to polish it yourself. Just an hour with some polishing cream, and even faster with a polishing belt and it should look pretty good. Just remember to clear coat it after or it will oxidize again. Even if I don't win the raffle, who am I kidding I won't win the raffle, I think I'll do that with the brass weight anyway.

Whatever the case, I think there is something more mature about the more muted appearance of this copper finish. I think people are just dissapointed that the prototype doesn't match the amazing renders exactly.

edit: btw do you know when the estimated delivery date is? I need to know when so I know what vendor to buy from.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2019, 05:11:25 by SUB01 »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #381 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 06:28:39 »

hot as ****.
How many FE avail?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #382 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 06:39:16 »
Show Image

hot as ****.
How many FE avail?
Founder's Edition

The Iron165 FE will be limited to 25 total serialized units, never to be made again. We will be handling the group buy for these directly. There will be a public raffle for 10 total group buy spots.

Offline CDKing

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 08:32:47 »

Meh I understand where you are coming from, and I mostly agree that the polished finish in the renders look better. However, it shouldn't be that hard to polish it yourself. Just an hour with some polishing cream, and even faster with a polishing belt and it should look pretty good. Just remember to clear coat it after or it will oxidize again. Even if I don't win the raffle, who am I kidding I won't win the raffle, I think I'll do that with the brass weight anyway.

Whatever the case, I think there is something more mature about the more muted appearance of this copper finish. I think people are just dissapointed that the prototype doesn't match the amazing renders exactly.

edit: btw do you know when the estimated delivery date is? I need to know when so I know what vendor to buy from.

Was actually considering doing exactly that, assuming I can get in on the raffle.

Any recommendations for a good clear coat product? lol

Offline SUB01

« Reply #384 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 09:04:37 »

Was actually considering doing exactly that, assuming I can get in on the raffle.

Any recommendations for a good clear coat product? lol

Protectaclear seems not bad if a bit pricy, but I can't really say since I haven't used it myself. Rustoleum clear coats are usually my go to and its pretty cost effective.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #385 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 10:52:24 »

Can you tell me why they suck? I personally don't really see the downside to adding them. Also soldering is a pain, why bother when you don't have to? Especially for a board this expensive I want to be able to experience more than one kind of switch on it in the long run, as well as relube switches in the coming years. Unsoldering is super tedious if you don't have a pump.

soldering is piss easy, mill max sockets are a pain if you install them incorrectly, and they have a ridiculously short wear life so you can't change them out ad infinitum, whereas with soldering it's just a skill activity

i have a tremor and i've soldered plenty of boards and they've all turned out fine

if you're really worried about it just pay someone else to do it

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #386 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:16:03 »

soldering is piss easy, mill max sockets are a pain if you install them incorrectly, and they have a ridiculously short wear life so you can't change them out ad infinitum, whereas with soldering it's just a skill activity

i have a tremor and i've soldered plenty of boards and they've all turned out fine

I used millmax for one build and it was the biggest pain in the ass even though it worked as expected. Millmax sockets are an unbelievabe a waste of money and time. That day I found out that if I ever truly wanted to replace switches, I'd rather just go over an 1800 keyboard with a $5 plastic desoldering pump 10 times over than install a free set of millmax sockets on a single 40%

Offline SUB01

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:20:37 »

I'm not worried, I've soldered plenty of things in the past, but its just one of those activities I just hate doing. I hate the fumes, I hate cleaning up after lead with my baby cousin around, and I hate the clunkiness leaving me wishing I had a third arm. The last point is less applicable to keyboard soldering because everything is held in place, but still. I'm more interested in knowing where you heard about the short life span of millmax sockets. If that really is the case I might look into alternatives. Also, how do you install a millmax socket incorrectly? I was under the impression that you just take them and push them into the pin holes. I hope I don't come off as skeptical or defensive, I just want to know where you are coming from.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #388 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:24:43 »
I was under the impression that you just take them and push them into the pin holes.
Mill max sockets still require soldering, and you have to be careful not to get solder inside the socket itself. It's a time consuming business and fairly intricate.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #389 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:39:14 »
I was under the impression that you just take them and push them into the pin holes.
Mill max sockets still require soldering, and you have to be careful not to get solder inside the socket itself. It's a time consuming business and fairly intricate.

I did a bit more research, it seems like if the millmax sockets don't fit properly, you have to solder them like you said. If anyone was curious, this was the chinese knockoffs I was talking about: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.189.7db854b8S0MMvR&id=550047547721&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail.
Took some chinese friends, mad googletranslatorfu, and inference to find those lol. The page has pictures of people using them in pcbs, but from what I can gather the socket tube seems to be slightly thicker allowing for better mounts. I'll test them in a few months with this keyboard when I get the chance.

edit: as for price they are 10 sockets for 10rmb which using current conversion is 0.14usd per socket.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:41:27 by SUB01 »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 18:19:57 »
Show Image

hot as ****.
How many FE avail?
Founder's Edition

The Iron165 FE will be limited to 25 total serialized units, never to be made again. We will be handling the group buy for these directly. There will be a public raffle for 10 total group buy spots.

Thanks duderosky

Offline Rise

• Trying to Give back to Community
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 19:19:02 »
Absolutely can't wait to see this board go live!

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 17:38:27 »
Anyone know which white keyset is on the FE Prototype?

Offline Clo_0lD

« Reply #393 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 17:42:48 »
Anyone know which white keyset is on the FE Prototype?

Pretty sure it's minimal

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 19:20:23 »
Okay thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sleepybrett

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 11:21:42 »
No split spacebar support *fartsound*

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 17:20:42 »
That is a thing of beauty for sure.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Pach

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 22:02:30 »
This is phenomenal. Sad that I won't be able to buy this because my group buy is in October and I probably won't have funds till later. I think the FE would look better as Fe to match the standard element capitalization, but that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Offline stuey138

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 22:08:48 »
This is phenomenal. Sad that I won't be able to buy this because my group buy is in October and I probably won't have funds till later. I think the FE would look better as Fe to match the standard element capitalization, but that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work!
Where are the umbra x iron165 renders

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 00:52:24 »