Author Topic: Making Spacebar act as Shift when pressed with another key  (Read 1057 times)

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
Making Spacebar act as Shift when pressed with another key
« on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:08:35 »
Here's another trick that some people might find beneficial.  how would you like to be able to capitalize your letters using the space bar?  I mean your thumbs are sitting right on the spacebar pretty much all the time... not having to stretch your pinkies to your shift keys can save a lot of stress to your little guys and can help prevent injury.  Here is one such software that can accomplish this:

https://gitorious.org/at-home-modifier/pages/Home

It enables for example “shift/space dual role key.” When you press the space key alone, it’s a space; but when you press it with another key, it’s a shift. Any pairs of keys are possible.

You can also make it so that both the d and k keys (for instance) can act as Shift... d (left hand) for right hand letters needing to be capitalized - and k for left hand letters.

This works on linux by editing the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf file (at least on Ubuntu recent versions)

I'm sure this can also be done using AutoHotKey on Windows, but I haven't yet implemented it.

Let me know if you want to implement this and have any questions on how to do it - but all the instructions are linked on the page I referenced above.

Cheers!