Author Topic: 3D mouse  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
3D mouse
« on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 17:20:41 »
I need something to improve my workflow with CAD work, anyone have a first hand experience with something like this?
I've seen http://www.3dconnexion.com/ but not sure if the only one or most marketed shadowing better and cheaper products.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Hypersphere

Re: 3D mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 17:50:32 »
I have used an earlier version of this product. I was very impressed with the quality -- very solid stainless steel construction. I used it for molecular modeling to manipulate objects in 3D. However, I stopped using it and returned to using a conventional mouse (Razer DeathAdder Black Edition), which I found more intuitive. BTW, the Razer DA Black is the best mouse I have ever used. One thing I particularly like about it is the fact that the smooth plastic exterior always feels dry to the touch, even after intense and prolonged use.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 18:11:35 »
Yea I use Razer mice too and find them ok, but this is kind of and extension or second mouse that you use with your left ( unless you are lefty  :)) ) I guess I will try with the basic version of this, other ones seem expensive for what they offer. Thanks for the input Hypershpere  ;D

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 18:15:00 »
I have the SpaceNavigator that I'm looking to sell.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 05:05:35 »
I have experience using a SpaceNavigator with SolidWorks. It's great, only took a moment to get used to the movements and now it's second nature. Quite intuitive and I feel handicapped when I have to work in CAD without one now. It makes a big difference to be able to manipulate the model so easily.

SpaceNavigator in left hand, mouse in right with a numpad between them for entering dimensions is how I like to work. I leave my keyboard above the numpad and SpaceNavigator for typing when needed.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 05:12:36 »
Yea if I buy one that would be my setup as well, numpad in the middle for dimensions the SpaceNavigator on the left. You don't really need the keyboard apart from the ctrl/shift/alt/esc. It has two programmable buttons if I recall correctly so that can be useful in a way.