Author Topic: Can an old Apple 5.25" floppy drive be made to work?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Can an old Apple 5.25" floppy drive be made to work?
« on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:53:22 »
I have some old 5-1/4" discs and I would like to have a drive to read them.

There are internal drives available and I think I could make one work if I built out an old motherboard, but I would like to have an external drive.

Apple made their external floppy drives and they were around for years. Is there any reasonable way to adapt one of them, preferably via USB?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Can an old Apple 5.25" floppy drive be made to work?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:56:48 »
Is this like the ones on the Apple II?

AFAICR they had very limited electronics in them and relied on Apple II cunning programming and careful timing to use them.

That, plus a very specific interface card with the ribbon cable connector.

Ninjad by SpAmMy - I guess if there are two electronic things out there, someone will find a way of connecting them!
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:01:22 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:25:00 »
http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html

Thanks, that is something.

I was hoping for a device that would actually allow me to read and write, but if this can read them all then it is pretty amazing.

Would running a daisy chain of connectors off a Molex from a modern power supply inside the case work?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:44:03 »
I'm wondering how far you might get by just picking up an old box off Craigslist - surely there is someone local with a 486 or Pentium that you could get networked, read the floppes with, and transport those files to another storage means. This would also give write access. Presumably utilities exist to get around that whole Windows vs Mac thing.

Just a thought. $20 computer might do what you need.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:52:17 »
I have some old 5-1/4" discs and I would like to have a drive to read them.

By the way any idea how many decades 5-1/4" floppy disks will keep their content?  Back in the days people kept saying "In ten years your floppy disk's content will be unreadable" but everytime I tried, they'd still read fine.  I have hundreds of floppy disks from my C64 and Commodore Amiga days (my Amiga had a 5-1/4" disk in addition to the 3-1/2" one because 5-1/4" disks were way, way, way cheaper) in my garage and they're 25 years old+ by now and there are some stuff I'd like to archive one of these days.

So a quarter of a century is quite something: I'm beginning to worry a bit that the disks one day will be unreadable.

Nothing of big value there but for example I've got beta version of a few games (developers were friend), unfinished and never shipped demos and intros, (incomplete) graphics for a game that never saw the light, etc.  Good memories :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)