Author Topic: Predictions on the availability and price of good LGA1150 CPUs?  (Read 6776 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Predictions on the availability and price of good LGA1150 CPUs?
« on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 07:59:05 »
I know no-one can tell the future but I'd like some educated guesses on the future availability of good LGA1150 CPUs.

As this was the last socket to use DDR3 I'm wondering if there are going to be more people like me clinging to the aging platform as it's plenty fast enough or if there's sufficient hype surrounding Ryzen2 and Intel's inevitable response that people will be dumping their older high end CPUs into the market (or did this happen with the original Ryzen release?)

Currently an i7 4790k rarely sell for significantly under £200 on UK ebay and this seems a lot of money to spend on an old CPU that may have had a hard life.  If lots of people dump them this will drop, but if they already dumped or the upgrade hype is not enough it can only increase...

There are of course cheaper locked i7s and xeons which I imagine will be pretty stable as the people who use them are not build-your-own/entusiasts, but they're not as fun or as fast/future proof so only really an option if the dump has happened and this is as good as it gets.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

Re: Predictions on the availability and price of good LGA1150 CPUs?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:49:43 »
I'll probably be using my i7 3770k / 32GB ddr3 for the next decade if I can get away with it.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:00:40 »
Not LGA1150, but I'm still rocking 3770k after 5 years (LGA1155). Other than swapping out GPU every once in awhile, I dont really see a need to upgrade for my use.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:10:33 »
they're not cheep especially the K series and halo series..

Not worth the cost,  ur best off buying whole new setup..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:12:59 »
I'm wth you both, I'd still be running my 2600K if the mobo hadn't died.  Replaced it with a 5775c but that literally burned (might have had something to do with the cracked core it ran with for six months :))) and I replaced it with a Pentium G3258 fearing it could have damaged the mobos.  The Pentium's fine for my current usage but two threads is not future proof...

I can wait but if availability/prices are going to get as bad as z68 mobos did I'll be forced into another upgrade which I don't need or want.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 02:35:21 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 13:12:43 »
I'm wth you both, I'd still be running my 2600K if the mobo hadn't died.  Replaced it with a 5775c but that literally burned (might have had something to do with the cracked core it ran with for six months:))) and I replaced it with a Pentium G3258 fearing it could have damaged the mobos.  The Pentium's fine for my current usage but two threads is not future proof...

I can wait but if availability/prices are going to get as bad as z68 mobos did I'll be forced into another unwanted upgrade which I don't need or want.

Do over.. 8700k 5jigahertz.. divorce.. professional Overwatch.. retire.. cocaine on the Island of Malta.. !!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 14:19:19 »
Trust you tp4 - I'm worried about the possibility of wasting $100 on a CPU and you're suggesting spending easily 5x as much on a totally overkill rebuild :))  Intel and Asus are both blacklisted from my next build anyway, there's no way an i7 should burn and no excuse for not updating BIOS on old boards.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 14:43:41 »
Trust you tp4 - I'm worried about the possibility of wasting $100 on a CPU and you're suggesting spending easily 5x as much on a totally overkill rebuild :))  Intel and Asus are both blacklisted from my next build anyway, there's no way an i7 should burn and no excuse for not updating BIOS on old boards.

Well the higher end boards go through more validation time, so stick to those for the next build.

it's probably gonna be .. $350 cpu, $200 mobo, $200 ram.. $400 gpu.. $60 psu.. $60 cpu cooler..

Not that bad.. !!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 15:18:36 »
I've never cheaped out on a mobo - the dead one attached to my 2600K was an Asus P8Z68-V, not top tier but I like quiet so never do extreme voltages so definitely good enough.  Asus are in my bad books because the Z97I-plus I'm currently running still hasn't got updates for Spectre and Meltdown but, apart from burning the i7, it seems solid.

~$200 for an i7 4790, ~$260 for a 4790K or ~$170 for a dodgy looking 4890HQ

vs

$810  for your rebuild (would keep my <1 year old PSU and 1050ti), though I suspect your prices are as-available in the US so I'd probably have to add 20%

It's not really comparable :P
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 15:25:29 »
I've never cheaped out on a mobo - the dead one attached to my 2600K was an Asus P8Z68-V, not top tier but I like quiet so never do extreme voltages so definitely good enough.  Asus are in my bad books because the Z97I-plus I'm currently running still hasn't got updates for Spectre and Meltdown but, apart from burning the i7, it seems solid.

~$200 for an i7 4790, ~$260 for a 4790K or ~$170 for a dodgy looking 4890HQ

vs

$810  for your rebuild (would keep my <1 year old PSU and 1050ti), though I suspect your prices are as-available in the US so I'd probably have to add 20%

It's not really comparable :P

I own the z68-pro gen 3 revision of that asus board.. it's been working fine since 2012 overclocked to 4.8ghz on a 2600k..

Overall, there will always be luck involved..

I think AMD is going to be a good choice given 2 more revisions, the next one down to that 7nm,  and after that a revision of the faults of 7nm,  it should be top tier by that time.

~ 3 years.

for now, I would honestly only buy intel for compatibility sake.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 15:50:32 »
$140 for an i7 4770 (non-k) on ebay.  You know it was never abused since it was locked down.  Probably a pull from an office computer. 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 17:43:17 »
I think AMD is going to be a good choice given 2 more revisions, the next one down to that 7nm,  and after that a revision of the faults of 7nm,  it should be top tier by that time.

~ 3 years.

And maybe by then I'll want to upgrade everything but for now the options are - stick with what I have for ~six months or get a 'new' CPU soon while I'm free all day to stalk ebay.  I'd rather wait but not if they're going to become rare/expensive.

$140 for an i7 4770 (non-k) on ebay.  You know it was never abused since it was locked down.  Probably a pull from an office computer. 
Only hesitation there is offices use the crappy stock heatsink and if they're anything like where I worked don't clean out the fluff - our i3s ran hotter than I ever would at home and literally all day every day which can't be great.  Plus a 4770 is 500mhz down on a 4790k even before overclocking so it's not as future proof...  You're probably right that it's the most 'bang for your buck' though.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 18:04:45 »

~ 3 years.

And maybe by then I'll want to upgrade everything but for now the options are - stick with what I have for ~six months or get a 'new' CPU soon while I'm free all day to stalk ebay.  I'd rather wait but not if they're going to become rare/expensive.

Only hesitation there is offices use the crappy stock heatsink and if they're anything like where I worked don't clean out the fluff - our i3s ran hotter than I ever would at home and literally all day every day which can't be great.  Plus a 4770 is 500mhz down on a 4790k even before overclocking so it's not as future proof...  You're probably right that it's the most 'bang for your buck' though.

Office CPUs are nearly immortal even with dust bunnies colonized heatsinks.

The reason is, the office machines are seldom if ever running at full load.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 18:20:44 »
My dusted up i3 crashed at least once a week when I used 100% CPU in Excel too much - immortal it may be but I wouldn't want to buy that CPU, it surely has the equivalent of arthritis :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 18:29:31 »
My dusted up i3 crashed at least once a week when I used 100% CPU in Excel too much - immortal it may be but I wouldn't want to buy that CPU, it surely has the equivalent of arthritis :))

Haven't heard of many toasted cpus since the 90nm days those were Prescotts i think..

Had alot during the athlon and p4 130nm times..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 01:40:17 »
I know no-one can tell the future but I'd like some educated guesses on the future availability of good LGA1150 CPUs.

As this was the last socket to use DDR3 I'm wondering if there are going to be more people like me clinging to the aging platform as it's plenty fast enough or if there's sufficient hype surrounding Ryzen2 and Intel's inevitable response that people will be dumping their older high end CPUs into the market (or did this happen with the original Ryzen release?)

Currently an i7 4790k rarely sell for significantly under £200 on UK ebay and this seems a lot of money to spend on an old CPU that may have had a hard life.  If lots of people dump them this will drop, but if they already dumped or the upgrade hype is not enough it can only increase...

There are of course cheaper locked i7s and xeons which I imagine will be pretty stable as the people who use them are not build-your-own/entusiasts, but they're not as fun or as fast/future proof so only really an option if the dump has happened and this is as good as it gets.
I'll go with Tp4tissue on this, CPUSs have been hard to kill for quite a long time (not impossible, but difficult)*.

As for availability, there is almost twice as many 4790ks as there is 2600ks on ebay, which tells me you have a while before you won't be able to find one. And based on how the 2600k has aged you can get away with that for a couple more years without being a serious bottleneck.

My advice, wait it out if you can or see what you can sell your current parts for and put that towards an upgrade.
Hopefully by the time you are ready to pounce the tariff war will be over and prices will be good since Intel and AMD will still be warring  and current (2018) stuff will be cheap used.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 02:50:37 »
I'll go with Tp4tissue on this, CPUSs have been hard to kill for quite a long time (not impossible, but difficult)*.

:)) watercooled <25*C idle/55*C stress testing, stock volts = burned!

As for availability, there is almost twice as many 4790ks as there is 2600ks on ebay, which tells me you have a while before you won't be able to find one. And based on how the 2600k has aged you can get away with that for a couple more years without being a serious bottleneck.
I could, but I'm running a Pentium G3258 and dual core is not future proof even though it's fine for my current usage.

If you think they're not going to dry up I'll sit it out, it's what I should be doing but boredom makes me think about everything and this is the closest to a solvable problem I have.  Thanks again :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 04:34:02 »
Oh, I was under the impression you already had a 4970.
It will be another year before they drop below $150 if you are lucky, another before they hit $100, meanwhile you are only getting further behind.

My advice to people is almost always the same, do not wait, get what you can afford NOW. If you wait, you can be always waiting because if you wait just little longer you can get the next best, creating a never ending cycle. I knew one guy who did that for two years and even then only did it because I let him borrow a spare motherboard, all but forcing him to get his upgrade.

With that said, have you looked at stepping down a notch? Look at the 4670k. I found several for $130 or less on ebay (with shipping). It's a 3.4ghz quad core I5, while not a lot faster in terms of clock speed, it not only beats what you have by a long shot due to larger cache and more cores but often matches or bests the same generation I7 in most instances, especially gaming or single thread operations.  Basically you get 95% of the I7 for 60%(?) of the price. No, it's not an I7, but it's really close and people tend to ignore it I5's as they age in favor of I7s, hence the price being so much better. Get that, and bide your time until you can get something (much) better down the line new or used.

As for your burned cpu... It was defective.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 07:16:45 »
I'm in a strange position where I can't really afford anything and don't need an upgrade as 4ghz on the Pentium is plenty fast for doing the pretty much nothing I do at the moment (surely will overclock further too, haven't really tried) but at the end of the day it's still a dual core.

If prices are going to drop or even stay the same I'm happy to wait but if they're going to go up I should buy something now.  I've looked at cheap i5 S and T models (low TDP but mobo will override that) and equivalent xeons but hadn't really considered the high end ones as four threads still isn't really that future proof and the price difference on first glance wasn't that much.  Looking today a 4670K or even 4690K is about half 4790K so you probably have a point - I should have asked a week ago before payday, prices will no doubt be higher for a week or two.  Glad there's no rush!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 07:36:02 »
Multi-core scores fully overclocked ..

19866" 8700k, 
13762" 4970k,
9xxx" 4670k

If you get the OC board, the 4670k is definitely usable..

But before sinking m0ar money,  IMHO,  if you do buy the 8700k say, next year, it will last you at least 5 years before you get "The Itch"

NEXT year, at least 3rd quarter of Next Year,

Not THIS year,  you wouldn't buy 8700k This year..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 21:27:24 »
I'm in a strange position where I can't really afford anything and don't need an upgrade as 4ghz on the Pentium is plenty fast for doing the pretty much nothing I do at the moment (surely will overclock further too, haven't really tried) but at the end of the day it's still a dual core.

If prices are going to drop or even stay the same I'm happy to wait but if they're going to go up I should buy something now.  I've looked at cheap i5 S and T models (low TDP but mobo will override that) and equivalent xeons but hadn't really considered the high end ones as four threads still isn't really that future proof and the price difference on first glance wasn't that much.  Looking today a 4670K or even 4690K is about half 4790K so you probably have a point - I should have asked a week ago before payday, prices will no doubt be higher for a week or two.  Glad there's no rush!
If you are doing it before the end of the year, the 4670 is a good upgrade that will tide you over for a while so you can save up to get a more modern board and chip.
It's not meant to be the only upgrade for the next 5 years for you, it's just enough to tide you over.

If you are going to try and get something slightly better, and a motherboard as well, no. It's a poor choice because the costs are too high for what you get compared to the longevity. You would be better off getting something even newer, though I don't agree that a quad core is not future proof enough. We only just got 6 core I7's this generation, yes, they are awesome, but Intel is backtracking on it to a degree (no hyperthreading on the 9700k, wtf?). Worse still, more cores does not equal speed. I have an 8700k running Linux, and while some things really do work better with it and I can do a TON without bogging it down, a lot of cores sit idle a lot of the time.

A high end processor today runs almost any program fast, with or without multi cores, so extra cores just let you do more at the same time. Most people get that part, what most do not realize is that the hardcore stuff that could REALLY benefit from multi core tasks, like 3d rendering and video editing, doesn't take good advantage of it.  It's not a programming issue, it's a problem in how the programs fundamentally work, you can't have frame 2 render before frame 1and still maintain a proper timeline. Maybe in the future, but not currently and it will require a massive rewrite of many of these programs to really be able to make it work. This is why the 18core processor is actually better for use in Premier than the 32core, it has less cores but a higher clock. While I blame Intel for not pushing more cores, the truth is, they just don't do as much as people think, so while Intel may be right in not pushing them, I also think Intel purposely held back the market in order to just cash in.

Again, my advice, get you a good I5 to hold you over and enjoy it. It's a relatively cheap ($100) compared to an I7 board and chip combo, which will run you closer to $350. For $350 you can buy a brand new board and I5, so why bother with something 4 generations old? Yes, you would need ram, but it's far more future proof than spending $350 on a 4 year old combo that will again need updating soon. Because what is really going to hurt you in terms of future proof is not the core count but the PCIE revision, USB type, and M.2 slots.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 05:47:05 »
Thanks Leslieann but you've still not quite got my situation - I have two Z97 mobos and 16gb of RAM (can be 32gb slightly slower on one mobo) so it's just the CPU I'd be buying.  I remember booting from a 5400rpm laptop drive so any SSD is lovely and 100MBps to a good USB3.0 stick is a joy compared to the USB2 ones I used back in the day where I did move stuff.  PCIE revision I guess means I won't be able to run the latest graphics card with my 1600x1200? boohoo :)) (I don't know what I'll do when my monitor dies, hate widescreen ratios for work...)  If my 5775c didn't mysteriously crack one night I'd still be using the nice iGPU, not sure I'd survive on the 4th gen's though.  I have a six month old 1050ti which has an easy life so should last a while.  I'm not against spending $200 on the CPU as it should last at least a couple of years, hopefully more than that.

Can't believe they haven't mastered threaded video encoding yet, I've only done re-encoding (DVD ripping) but it used to be a first pass to get info then a second to do the job so surely the second pass should just be split into chunks, perhaps it would need a low fps second pass to make keyframes and know what's coming next then do it on the third pass?  Doesn't sound hard, but I've never tried to code anything remotely related so maybe it is.  3D rendering can't be much different either...
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2018, 10:48:56 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 19:56:19 »
Thanks Leslieann but you've still not quite got my situation
Ahh okay, based on the other info, yeah, I totally agree with you.
My point was if you only need the chip, go for it, but if you were going to do board and chip together my advice was to save for something better all around rather than spending almost $300 on something that didn't advance you forward. I skimmed and got drawn into Tp's derailment on that.

By the way, pcie3.0 cards are backwards compatible... Usually. I have one card that hates some of the bios-efi-uefi transition boards and will not boot on them, but generally they are backwards compatible. That card I have is a pain is a well known pain in the neck (XFX R9 280).

Video editors do use some multi core, but it's very limited, and some editors do better, some worse and I'm not super well versed on it, but considering how bad multi-core computing in general is, it's not really a surprise because it doesn't scale well. We only went that way because they are reaching the physical limits of the current style of computing, you can only reduce things so much before you reach atomic scale.

We need the ability to split processes themselves or a whole new architecture before we see any more massive gains beyond where we are now. While Windows would be a different story, unless I'm doing something strenuous, I often have a thread or two sitting idle on my 8700k, there isn't enough active processes to occupy them all, even with resource monitors running.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 06:46:43 »
Related and not worth it's own thread, do some Xeons really not do DVI on their integrated graphics or is the lack of info on other models indicative that the comparison table is ... less than perfect?  If you can't trust the table what can you trust?!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 09:11:00 »
Related and not worth it's own thread, do some Xeons really not do DVI on their integrated graphics or is the lack of info on other models indicative that the comparison table is ... less than perfect?  If you can't trust the table what can you trust?!

If the xeon has igpu,  some don't, pretty sure they all do hdmi,  and the pin out works with dvi,  so they all do dvi with an adapter.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:07:49 »
You'd think so, but you'd think all chips of the same generation would use the same HD4600 graphics so support the same amount of video memory and that's different in the table too...  If you can't trust the info in the table can you trust it to tell you which CPUs have graphics at all or did they just 'forget' to fill it in?

When* troubleshooting it's good to know whether a minimal setup is just a CPU and RAM or you need a graphics card...

*Having struggled with a temperamental 5775c in these mobos I'm not expecting a smooth ride!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:12:33 »
You'd think so, but you'd think all chips of the same generation would use the same HD4600 graphics so support the same amount of video memory and that's different in the table too...  If you can't trust the info in the table can you trust it to tell you which CPUs have graphics at all or did they just 'forget' to fill it in?

When* troubleshooting it's good to know whether a minimal setup is just a CPU and RAM or you need a graphics card...

*Having struggled with a temperamental 5775c in these mobos I'm not expecting a smooth ride!

Or make it easier,  always g3t grapx car.. !!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:19:24 »
When a mobo's balanced on the edge of a case connected to a PSU that's installed in another case (with a already mobo in) I'd rather not have a card wobbling about if I don't have to :))

That's only half the problem though, why should I trust the list when it's definitely incomplete and probably inaccurate?  And why can't a big company be bothered to do it properly?  Oh yeah, money.  Just like the big security holes they ignored...
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:21:17 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:27:55 »
When a mobo's balanced on the edge of a case connected to a PSU that's installed in another case (with a already mobo in) I'd rather not have a card wobbling about if I don't have to :))

That's only half the problem though, why should I trust the list when it's definitely incomplete and probably inaccurate?  And why can't a big company be bothered to do it properly?  Oh yeah, money.  Just like the big security holes they ignored...

That security hole was left intentionally for the Secret-Police CIA/NSA/FBI/  etc.

INTEL is thoroughly an integrated part of the 'murican Military Industrial Complex.

The Military is the core of every sovereignty..

The media spin on -security hole- and INTEL FORGOT is just misdirection against the far more Realistic plot of technological surveillance and international espionage...

Right now, they're busy creating new deeper security holes/ backdoors..

The benefit of these backdoors far exceed any potential lawsuit from the consumer arena..   Afterall, America just Prints-Money..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:42:33 »
So, buy AMD?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:21:29 »
Intel sold me a defective CPU, they aren't getting any more of my money for a long time.

How are the Chinese alternatives coming along?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:25:43 »
Intel sold me a defective CPU, they aren't getting any more of my money for a long time.

They're only sold to their home government systems right now (Specifically) to prevent the type of back doors from intel/amd

Overall, they don't own the patents needed to sell in enforced markets..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:35:30 »
They don't own the patents to lots of things, doesn't stop them selling them...  I guess they weren't ready to produce enough cheaply or it would have been the perfect time for them to release them on the world.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 00:49:50 »

Why do you think admins make so much?
They have to make heads or tails of a lot of different stuff.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 01:06:16 »

My understanding is that the Chinese can only make a limited amount of x86/64bit compatible cpus (or some other weird limitation) because of the license they hold for it. They're basically leasing an existing license because Intel refuses to license any others and it has restrictions and the owner of it refuses to sell the license because it's worth more than their company. If they violate the lease or the license, Intel can yank it entirely and you can believe Intel has their ducks in a row on this as it's been their bread and butter for decades. They hate having that loose ends even if it's not competing with them.

More importantly, the license may be x86 or 64bit, that doesn't mean they have  a license to use MMX, or SSE or any other cpu enhancements, so it's probably not even capable of running Win10 or even 8.1.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More