Author Topic: New gear  (Read 5383 times)

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 02:51:38 »

Here is my new gear.

Overall pcb board were taken from 8200. I cutes the two peaces Caps-A-S-D-F-G-Shift-Z-X-C-V and the rest. I drilled holes for new shift and Z on the smaller board. And then I put this to original place but displaced half key pitch. I've got an extra key, which was "b". I assign it as "~".

This key board has clear cherry switches with slightly light spring (62g), sublimated key caps, acrylic (right spell?) relabellable key caps. I labeled some keys to avoid confusion. I used the controller Aikon, which is remappable usb keyboard controller from otd.kr.
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver! [Proverbs 16:16]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New gear
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 04:59:04 »
Yeah, baby! Proof of concept WIN.  I want to make a Cherry brown or blue HHKB Lite.

Is the second character set Korean Hangul?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 11:27:52 »
I already tried that version. But I found that immediatly top two row of left part (123456 and QWERT) is too displaced to center. So I adjusted displacement appropriately in the sense of symmetry. In my experience, displaced one is more comfortable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2010, 11:30:03 by ohdh2003 »
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver! [Proverbs 16:16]

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 11:31:23 »
yeap.

Offline JBert

New gear
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 15:27:12 »
Where are Dreymar and Rajagra? They'd love to see their dream layout come true.

This is pretty much what I'd like to do if I had the guts, time and money. Congratulations!
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:09:14 »
I evaluated board. I conceived a new layout for more convenience. And draw the board.

So finally I made few PCB's. It is the first time to make PCB's in my life. Surely there are some bugs in the board. Fortunatley, they are managable.:)

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 20:44:46 by ohdh2003 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New gear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:59:38 »
that looks nice. clean and useful. Tell us how it feels after you type on it for a fortnight or so.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 02:11:08 »
Quote from: ricercar;197765
that looks nice. clean and useful. Tell us how it feels after you type on it for a fortnight or so.

Did you mean this? If then, here is my translation of my explaination (:

> I used it for more than two weeks. For precise evaluation, I typed several kinds of documents as much as possible. I guess I typed more than ten times than as usual. Here are some inconvenice, which I felt:
>
> (1) The movement of fingers are not straight. I think usuability of number row in the sebeol is low[There are two kinds of korean keyboard layout. I used sebeol]. IMHO, Z row have to be moved 1/4 pitch to center.
> (2) Comfortable winkle made me see the other point. That is Backspace and Return. When I type them, I recognized breaking of rhythm of typing. moreover I felt pain(right spell?) because they are too far. IMHO, one more set of them near center will helpful.
> (3) Similiarly to (2), one more set of shift near center will helpful.
> (4) Flat board made me uncomfortable. I guess clined board will be comfortable.
>
> I think overall direction is right.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2010, 02:20:13 by ohdh2003 »

Offline Rajagra

New gear
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 03:36:19 »
How did I miss this? Great work, I'm running out of reasons to avoid building my own keyboard, with all these people showing how it can be done.

I spotted how you duplicated Home and End. Little things like that are a great way to improve usability, but manufacturers avoid doing it because mainstream users would find it odd. :thumb:

Offline Rotlaus

New gear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 06:13:44 »
Quote from: ohdh2003;197753
I I conceived a new layout for more convenience. And draw the board.

Did you use Kicad for the Layout? Do you have a library for the Cherry Switches? Can you share that?

Thanks,

André

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 20:40:00 »
Quote from: Rotlaus;197879
Did you use Kicad for the Layout? Do you have a library for the Cherry Switches? Can you share that?

Thanks,

André

As a non-expert, Kicad is good choice, I think. I guess you can make module from a pdf file from Cherry.  But for the convenience, I attached a foot print of Cherry MX switch.

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 20:46:47 »
Quote from: Rotlaus;197879

Thanks,

André

I think you can make foot print module for Cherry MX switches using thispdf file from Cherry. I tried to upload my file I don't know how to do, because I am not famililar this geek hack board system. Sorry
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2010, 20:48:50 by ohdh2003 »

Offline dmw

• http://humblehacker.com
New gear
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:42:30 »
Awesome!  I've long thought that if a keyboard is going to have staggered keys, that they should be symmetrically staggered, just as you have done.  I'd love to give your keyboard a try.

Did you scavenge your stabilizer bars from another keyboard?  If not, where did you get them?  And what are the 4 pads below each key?
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:45:05 by dmw »

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 22:45:56 »
Quote from: dmw;198459
Awesome!  I've long thought that if a keyboard is going to have staggered keys, that they should be symmetrically staggered, just as you have done.  I'd love to give your keyboard a try.

Did you scavenge your stabilizer bars from another keyboard?  If not, where did you get them?  And what are the 4 pads below each key?

yes. I did.

One of member of Otd.kr has sold stabilizers occationally. If you want to know route for buy them, I will ask to him.

In this stage, they are just blank keys. There are few remapperable controllers, Aikon, ps2avr, nmonics (right spell?). If someone has chance to use one of them, he/she can map keys whatever he/she want, I think. But I intended closest four keys as space, two shifts and backspace. And center two keys just above space bar row may use for "B" again for dubeol users. [There are two kinds of key layouts for korean language, in the sense of popularity. The most popular layout is dubeol.] And rest is just added for the symmetry. :p One may map these keys as return and/or backspace whatever he/she want.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 22:48:52 by ohdh2003 »

Offline dmw

New gear
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 13:54:59 »
Have you assembled your keyboard with the new PCBs yet?  Did you work out what to use for a controller?  The teensy++ works well as a controller board.

Just out of curiosity, what are the four pads below the center holes for each key?

Offline ohdh2003

New gear
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 23:19:18 »
Quote from: dmw;201306
Have you assembled your keyboard with the new PCBs yet?  Did you work out what to use for a controller?  The teensy++ works well as a controller board.

Show Image

Just out of curiosity, what are the four pads below the center holes for each key?

I finished assemble. In this time I used an Aikon (remappable usb controller). Thanks for the information of the controller, teensy++.

Previous time, I miss-understood what you wrote. Yes as you wrote, each key has 4 pad (or terminal) two for diode and two for LED. Cherry switch has space for holding diode xor LED. Actually diodes are important part of the circuit, because I want to my keyboard have to be n-key rollover.

Offline dmw

New gear
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:12:40 »
Quote from: ohdh2003;202146
I finished assemble. In this time I used an Aikon (remappable usb controller). Thanks for the information of the controller, teensy++.

I just looked at the Aikon.  Looks great.  They've done pretty much everything I intend to do with my humble hacker firmware project.

Previous time, I miss-understood what you wrote. Yes as you wrote, each key has 4 pad (or terminal) two for diode and two for LED. Cherry switch has space for holding diode xor LED. Actually diodes are important part of the circuit, because I want to my keyboard have to be n-key rollover.

Ah, that's cool.  I'd like to do that for the next version of my PCB.  Though I was planning on doing like Chimera15 and building a board with the choice of ALPS or Cherry switches.  But it looks like the Cherry LED/Diode mounts would conflict with the ALPS switch mount.

Anyway, I'd love to see some pics of your assembled board, and hear what your experience is with using it.