Author Topic: Stem only source?  (Read 18809 times)

Offline metis

Stem only source?
« on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 14:47:20 »
I've gotten a few keycaps and sets that have a clear plastic stem epoxied to the back of the keycap.  One example of this is the KBDFans wooden keycaps.   Does anyone know where I could get those plastic stems?  They're clearly being mass produced somewhere, but I'm not finding a source. 

Offline Riverman

Re: Stem only source?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 17:47:19 »
It sounds like you're looking for stabilizer inserts.  Is this what you need?

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

Offline metis

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 09:57:20 »
no, the other side.   the stem that is on the inside of the key. 

most folks seem to cut them out of cheap keycaps to reuse them, but at least some custom key caps have a little plastic stem glued onto the back of an otherwise hollow key.  -- as if the stem had been cut off and replaced.

in the case of wooden keycaps, this makes sense, as wood will be pretty brittle across the grain in the small cruciform void of the MX stem.

Offline Tha_Pig

• Futurepig
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 July 2022, 17:33:34 »
I've gotten a few keycaps and sets that have a clear plastic stem epoxied to the back of the keycap.  One example of this is the KBDFans wooden keycaps.   Does anyone know where I could get those plastic stems?  They're clearly being mass produced somewhere, but I'm not finding a source.

I'm also looking for this in order to repurpose some vintage typewriter caps for a cherry keyboard.
Have you had any luck finding them?

Offline mostly

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:22:00 »
 :cool:
I can't find it either, so I use 3D printing, one price is 1 USD, 100pcs at a time, if you find other ways to buy cheaper, remember to tell me :thumb:
file:///Users/ironman/Desktop/S__35282947.jpg[/img]

Offline oplei

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 November 2022, 10:08:14 »
I've gotten a few keycaps beetv apk and sets that have a clear plastic stem epoxied to the back of the keycap.  One example of this is the KBDFans wooden keycaps.  filmplus  Does anyone know where I could get those plastic stems?  They're clearly being mass produced somewhere, but I'm not finding a source.

I'm also looking for this in order to repurpose some vintage typewriter caps for a cherry keyboard.
Have you had any luck finding them?
Love vintage style.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2022, 09:49:00 by oplei »