Author Topic: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | GB closed - In production  (Read 49821 times)

Offline MrEsosmao

[IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | GB closed - In production
« on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 11:43:34 »
Vanguard65 (VG65)

MUST READ: We can’t thank you enough for all the love and support you’ve given us with our Vanguard65 keyboard midi 🙏The amount of pre-orders have exceeded our MOQ expectations and beyond.🚀Much ❤️ to all of the keyboard content creators/hobbyists who helped us with photos, reels, and in-depth product reviews. Extras will be available after GB.

Thanks to all who joined me on this journey.
Everything has moved over to GH's Group Buy & Pre-Order board.

CLICK HERE FOR SOUND TESTS, PRODUCT PHOTOS, AND MORE

Gallery

Proto Shots
Note: I'm by no means a professional photographer so excuse the bad shots. Pro photos will come soon.  :)

Expand for more photos
More

What is VG65 about?
It’s been a long dream of mine to design a custom board that provides something truly personalized to add to the keyboard collection. The Vanguard65 (VG65), is a keyboard kit that serves both aesthetic beauty and function while incorporating a slider and knob. The case design is inspired by the Porsche Cayman, which is a perfect representation of a timeless masterpiece.

This interest check is intended for you to help out with the following:
  • Base kit “default” PCB options – soldered, hotswap, iso...
  • Include foam dampening kit?
  • ISO support for my Euro friends?
  • Poll to boil color options to 4 instead of 7.
  • Add-on plate material options
  • Bluetooth support?
  • Weight color and material.

<<<<CLICK HERE TO INTEREST CHECK FORM>>>>

Why the name Vanguard?
Noun. “A group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas”.

IMO - The word, Vanguard, is representative of what I have been able to design, build, and achieve in 2022. Starting with the creation of DOOM switches, which is the 1st of its kind to introduce a new PE material called HDPE into the hobby. Following that, I designed and mass-produced BIGWIG switches which is the 1st switch to introduce and use PBT material as a housing in the Western market. BIGWIG is also the first and only switch to use HDPE/PBT for top and bottom housing combination. Additionally, I introduced a new small switch manufacturer named Meirun. Lastly, the word Vanguard is just f**king cool.;D :D

Specifications

Plate Materials
Plateless or Full Aluminum, FR4, PC, POM, Carbon Fiber, Brass

Typing Angle
6.5 degrees

Front Height
19.2mm

Weight
Brass, sandblasted CC

Mount
Gasket Sock PCB Mount

Case Materials
Top - Aluminum 6063 (top)
Bottom - Polycarbonate White Frosted or Black Aluminum 6063

PCB
  • Custom designed hotswap with underglow
  • ANSI/ISO hotswap support
  • QMK/VIA compatible
  • Split backspace support
  • Kailh hotswap sockets
  • Universal USB-C daughterboard

What does that slider do?

Prioritizing User experience first, we built an extension within VIA for a seamless user experience to switch the slider on-the-fly with ease.
  • Layers Shift: Switch between keyboard layers by allowing slider to to easily transition between your different key bindings set within VIA.
  • MIDI encoding: Let the slider act as a MIDI CC, meaning you can program it to pass values to supported software in order to make adjustments on the fly beyond music and photo/video production. We will provide more details of a recommended list of DAW software and open-source apps that you can download free in the builders guide.
  • RGB Brightness Control: Set the brightness levels of the case underglow.
  • Volume Control: Command your system volume with MIDI companion programs

Colorways
At the moment, I got carried away with different color options for the case. However, I need to be realistic and would really like your help to boil this down to just 4 options instead of 7.

Colors are confirmed thanks to IC submissions.
  • Forest Green
  • White
  • Black
  • Ruby Star Purple

Layout Options
- 65% hotswap pcb
- ANSI/ISO support
- Split backspace support

Group Buy Information

Pricing: $274.99

Extras
  • Plate: Aluminum
  • Plate: FR4
  • Plate: POM
  • Plate: PC
  • Plate: Carbon Fiber
  • Plate: Brass
  • Hotswap PCB

Timeline:
  • GB Start Date: May 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM-CST (USA)
  • GB End Date: June 24, 2023
  • Delivery Date: Q4 2023
NOTE: Time will vary depending on your region. We suggest you contact the vendor for your region.

Main Vendors:

Show your support
Add this to your signature to show your support

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118837.0][img width=540 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/UffSI7e.png[/img][/url]

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118837.0][img width=540 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/Aab5gVr.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 August 2023, 12:50:23 by MrEsosmao »

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 12:44:08 »
Update
Group buy has officially closed🙏Thanks all who joined!!

Update
Thanks all who are supporting this project and providing valuable feedback since the IC. This thread will be locked and has now moved to the the new GB forum page.

Created new section of main post where you can show your support by adding image signature to your profile! :thumb:

Under specifications section, added slider feature details! Excited to share this with you all  :eek: :thumb:

Group Buy confirmed! Check out section [Group Buy Information] of the main post for details. Thank you all for the support in helping us bring this project to fruition!  :thumb:

Proto has arrived! Please excuse the scuff photos - by no means a professional. However, pro photos along with sound tests will be coming soon.
Lastly, the slider handle is having some minor adjustments being made. Will post updates with it included soon too. :D

Vendors confirmed! Keebfront has been doing its best to ensure that we meet the demand and cut cost by partnering with vendors for your region. All vendor link details can be found in the main post, but currently we've covered -
Indonesia, Europe, Canada, N. America (US/CA), LATAM (Mexico and entire South America), SEA/ASIA, UK. If you thing we've missed your region please let Keebfront know either the IC or on social media platforms.

Colors confirmed! Thank you all for the IC submissions. I have added additional renders in the COLORWAY section of main post.

Specs confirmed. Extras will be announced soon along with the 4th case color. IC has been extended so there's time to vote if you have not had a chance. Thanks again everyone!

Interest Check submissions will be closing in 8 days. If you haven't voted yet - hurry up & pick your favorite colors and more before it’s too late.
Want to take this time to thank everyone for the overwhelming amount of submissions. Ecstatic to share more with you in the coming days.

Collaboration announcement added to the Colorway section of main post.

Added a back shot of a full aluminum case within the MORE button under Gallery. IC is still open to help vote on this. Help decide if you prefer polycarbonate bottom or full aluminum case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2023, 11:23:02 by MrEsosmao »

Offline mortalikeskeebs

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 13:20:37 »
Man this thing is gorgeous.

Offline hyperfix8

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 13:38:46 »
Reserved and IC filled out. GLIC! This board is awesome.

Offline lovebee.co

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 13:44:02 »
absolutely stunning, filled out IC. definitely in for at least one if not two depending on the final color options. glwic!!

Offline zitres

• Mechanische Tastaturen Deutschland Discord Server
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 14:19:13 »
I love it a lot. The Style and Design is really well done. Purple, Yellow and Salmon are my favorites here.
Just imagine GMK Bento on the Salmon board will be great.

Please add ISO Support at least for Solder PCB as an option. ISO Hotswap would be best.

PC, POM and Alu are great options.

Offline PlasticPineapple

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 14:32:16 »
Love the design - it looks well balanced despite having quite large space allocated to the knob and slider, well done!
The only thing I would change about the design is to keep the front PC diffuser to a minimum and just have the top alu case all the way to the bottom, it would look much cleaner imo.

Pretty optimistic pricing range despite a lot of the options not being decided yet, hopefully it stays somewhat accurate in the end.

GL

Offline futur

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 15:25:05 »
I'm in love, the purple and green are jaw-dropping! Would be absolutely killer at the price point mentioned.

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 21:09:41 »
I love it a lot. The Style and Design is really well done. Purple, Yellow and Salmon are my favorites here.
Just imagine GMK Bento on the Salmon board will be great.

Please add ISO Support at least for Solder PCB as an option. ISO Hotswap would be best.

PC, POM and Alu are great options.

I think based off IC, it will happen. .but will keep you updated! :)

Offline ht12345

• Keyboard designer
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 00:46:00 »
Looks incredible! I really love the green one, and the knob/slider combo on the left would be incredible to have.

Has prototyping started yet on this project?

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 07:06:43 »
Looks incredible! I really love the green one, and the knob/slider combo on the left would be incredible to have.

Has prototyping started yet on this project?

In progress. The IC is really helping to gather sufficient data and revise things where needed.

Offline DraconicVision

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 09:56:02 »
I think this is a really pretty board. Especially if you can hit that =< $250 price point. 65%s aren't my preferred form factor so rather than skewing the IC form I thought I'd leave some feedback here.

I think the purple is a bit bright, it could be much darker. The red is a very bright coral colour, I think it could do with being a darker more true red rather than closer to pink as well.

The back weight is very basic, a little more flair there would be nice. I'm unsure how it's corrugated design relates to the Porsche Cayman. So something similar in design language to the Porsche Cayman would be good.

There's very little into on the mount here, can some more info on that please? A look at keyboard from an exploded view would be great. I think if you allow the user to go plateless by putting the mounting points on the PCB rather than plate that would also be great. More versatility is always good!

On the note of sound, I feel it's important that the board sound good with and without foam. Test for this! Polycarbonate bottom keyboards tend to sound really good so I have high hopes.

Some more specs on the PCB would be good too as well as a look at the design of it. Will it be 1.6mm? 1.2mm? FR4 or CEM-3? Will it have flex cuts or not?

Something important to consider on the LEDs on the front of the board is light leakage. A lot of boards suffer from LEDs that leak into the keys around the board rather than just the diffuser so including some light blockers would be good.

I'm looking forward to seeing a prototype of this board and I wish you all the best. :)

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 11:28:28 »
Colors need a good re-evaluation. They  Look a bit not good.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 12:55:03 »

The back weight is very basic, a little more flair there would be nice. I'm unsure how it's corrugated design relates to the Porsche Cayman. So something similar in design language to the Porsche Cayman would be good.
It doesn't really, for my personal taste - I just feel the parallel lines adds a "classy" touch to the overall board.

...There's very little into on the mount here, can some more info on that please? A look at keyboard from an exploded view would be great. I think if you allow the user to go plateless by putting the mounting points on the PCB rather than plate that would also be great. More versatility is always good!
Will update more details on this soon.  :thumb:

Something important to consider on the LEDs on the front of the board is light leakage. A lot of boards suffer from LEDs that leak into the keys around the board rather than just the diffuser so including some light blockers would be good.
Valid point, and it has already been taken into account. ;D

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65)
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 12:59:27 »
Updates
11/14/2022 : Added a back shot of a full aluminum case within the MORE button under Gallery. IC is still open to help vote on this. Help decide if you prefer polycarbonate bottom or full aluminum case.

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 13:24:13 »
I have a mighty need.

Offline fatherfork

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 13:39:16 »
I don't mind the polycarbonate bottom and back, I just don't love the poly on the front. Otherwise I do love everything.

Offline NassimO

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 07:34:48 »
Really like the look of the metallic green one

Envoyé de mon LE2123 en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 13:28:18 »
Update

Offline Rumblethumps

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Limited edition colorway Announced
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 17:53:32 »
Most of the time I prefer solid aluminum, but the polycarb in the model photos looks sick.

If the bottom ends up being full aluminum, would there be an option for two-tone like the collab colorway?

Offline NassimO

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 18:08:11 »

Dh man that looks awesome !

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 22:30:20 »
Most of the time I prefer solid aluminum, but the polycarb in the model photos looks sick.

If the bottom ends up being full aluminum, would there be an option for two-tone like the collab colorway?

Default kit will be PC bottom but doing best to have flexibility to provide Alu bottom option with a neutral color like black.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2022, 23:50:29 by MrEsosmao »

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 November 2022, 13:33:22 »
Update
Interest Check submissions will be closing in 8 days. If you haven't voted yet - hurry up & pick your favorite colors and more before it’s too late.
Want to take this time to thank everyone for the overwhelming amount of submissions. Ecstatic to share more with you in the coming days.

Offline ktrezzi

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Proto underway!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 04:32:06 »
This looks really nice, is there also a Discord to follow the project?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 10:49:54 »
must have. . .  :eek:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 14:28:35 »
This looks really nice, is there also a Discord to follow the project?

Join Discord

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Specs confirmed + Proto underway!
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 14:13:36 »
Update
Specs confirmed. Extras will be announced soon along with the 4th case color. IC has been extended so there's time to vote if you have not had a chance. Thanks again everyone!

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 19:21:46 »
You're offering hotswap ISO so this is now my favourite thing ever made without any caveats and I am not joking.

On a more serious note, thank you very much for doing that. It feels soooooo nice to have it. I am excited to make hehehe slider go up and down.

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 11:43:27 »
You're offering hotswap ISO so this is now my favourite thing ever made without any caveats and I am not joking.

On a more serious note, thank you very much for doing that. It feels soooooo nice to have it. I am excited to make hehehe slider go up and down.

Definitely want to show some love for the ISO gang out there  ;D

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 15 December 2022, 02:41:19 »
This is looking so good, can't wait for more updates!

Offline TypeBis

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 December 2022, 07:55:39 »
I need this on my wall

Offline moh18one

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 December 2022, 13:28:26 »
Vanguard75 when??

Offline ZippoW2905

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 11:56:56 »
In the interest check form for VG65, there are only renders of weight colors with polycarbonate bottom. Will full aluminum bottom shows the colors or the weight will be hidden inside?

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 20:52:38 »
loving that slider and knob combo! looks amazing!

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Colors confirmed + Proto underway!
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 23:02:20 »
Update
Colors confirmed! Thank you all for the IC submissions. I have added additional renders in the COLORWAY section of main post.

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 23:02:53 »
In the interest check form for VG65, there are only renders of weight colors with polycarbonate bottom. Will full aluminum bottom shows the colors or the weight will be hidden inside?

Just added some new images under COLORWAY where you can get a visual representation of how the weight will look on a full aluminum bottom. :)

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Vendors confirmed!
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 January 2023, 15:14:16 »
Update
Vendors confirmed! Keebfront has been doing its best to ensure that we meet the demand and cut cost by partnering with vendors for your region. All vendor link details can be found in the main post, but currently we've covered -
Indonesia, Europe, Canada, N. America (US/CA), LATAM (Mexico and entire South America), SEA/ASIA, Malaysia, UK. If you thing we've missed your region please let Keebfront know either the IC or on social media platforms.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2023, 23:59:23 by MrEsosmao »

Offline Henry5324

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Vendors confirmed!
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 24 January 2023, 09:09:36 »
I like that board but i must say that 65% bords are not mine i would buy it eminently if this was a 75% exploded.
the knob with the slider are premium.

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | Proto arrived!
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 January 2023, 14:38:21 »
Update
Proto has arrived! Please excuse the scuff photos - by no means a professional. However, pro photos along with sound tests will be coming soon.
Lastly, the slider handle is having some minor adjustments being made. Will post updates with it included soon too. :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2023, 14:40:35 by MrEsosmao »

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 22:00:46 »
Man that looks amazing, can't wait for more news on this.

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 13:42:07 »
Oh this looks so damn good. The photos look great, idk what you're talking about calling them "scuffed" lol.

Excited to go all in on this one.

Offline ZippoW2905

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 28 February 2023, 02:08:22 »
Hi!

Any update regarding this project?

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06 March 2023, 12:57:28 »
Hi!

Currently running a small batch for this prototype run and have a very limited number of extras for early access!
The color is limited edition, oil slick pearl colorshift. Be on the lookout for extras!  ;D

Offline Django.

• Just a fella that likes rectangles
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06 March 2023, 15:46:16 »
I have been watching this board for a while and I can say that I am very interested in this look. One of the more interesting boards that I have seen. Love the customization and love the cheap price. I will be joining this one.

Offline ZippoW2905

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 March 2023, 01:31:02 »
Hi!

Currently running a small batch for this prototype run and have a very limited number of extras for early access!
The color is limited edition, oil slick pearl colorshift. Be on the lookout for extras!  ;D

Awesome! Will you announce the early access run on socials?

Offline NSkeptic

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 March 2023, 23:43:18 »
Solid color choices. Those colors POP. This board would look sexy in a parade of sexy boards.

Offline migkb

• Google.com
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 08 March 2023, 02:09:36 »
love this board, it's uniqueness is great.
Love the pc bottom, cooper weight, nice green colour, slider and polypropylene weight included in the ic was great. Defo will buy if I remember

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline migkb

• Google.com
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 08 March 2023, 02:12:01 »
love this board, it's uniqueness is great.
Love the pc bottom, cooper weight, nice green colour, slider and polypropylene weight included in the ic was great. Defo will buy if I remember

Realised no copper or pp weight, will still buy anyway xd

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | GB confirmed!
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 26 March 2023, 23:03:06 »
Update
Group Buy confirmed! Check out section [Group Buy Information] of the main post for details. Thank you all for the support in helping us bring this project to fruition!  :thumb:

Offline Flybeck

Re: [IC] Vanguard65 (VG65) | GB Dates/Pricing confirmed!
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 March 2023, 18:38:35 »
Well done team