Author Topic: Zeos KB-6251EA IssueI bought a Zeos KB-6251EA keyboard with white Alps switches  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Belle Beefer

I bought a Zeos KB-6251EA keyboard with white Alps switches off eBay, it arrived today and I did a light cleaning on it. (Dusted it, cleaned the case, keycaps, etc.) I probably should have tested it first, but I really wanted to clean it up before I had it in my living room.

I know it has a switch for the type of computer it's running on, 8088 gives me a brief numlock light, and then it goes dark. Sliding it to the 80286 setting, the numlock light stays illuminated and it will detect keypresses, but then it will keep repeating them. Sometimes hitting the escape key will stop it, sometimes it
won't.

This keyboard has a DIN connector, so I adapted it from DIN to PS/2 to USB using the following adapters, which I thought should work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVDZWBX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACID2C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I also tried hooking it directly into the PS/2 port on my computer, because I forgot I had one, and got nothing from that.

Am I just using the wrong adapters, or does this indicate an issue with the keyboard itself?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I'm no expert but old keyboards need more power than PS/2 provides so you will need an active USB convertor, which the one you linked is.

Is the sticky key issue random or always triggered by the same key, or after a certain number of presses, or only if you type fast. or ... ?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

That's probably a rebranded Nan Tan board. I have one Nan Tan board that I do believe I have used both of those exact adapters in tandem with (not 100% sure, but I could probably find them all and test it too if I had to). It also isn't exactly the same as yours anyway though. It is possible that it doesn't comform exactly to either the AT or XT protocol ... but I'm pretty sure mine was working perfectly with an XT clone computer.

Are you using the purple connector on the USB adapter? Have you tried a powered USB hub and/or another computer or bus? (USB 2 vs USB 3, etc).

Built-in ps/2 ports on modern hardware can be a mess. I don't think they even necessarily all conform to the protocol, and if you're running a modern iteration of Windows you may need to make a tweak to the registry to (hopefully) detect the device and install the proper driver. In any case, you'll probably need the keyboard connected prior to powering the computer on for it to function through ps/2.

Update: I was testing my NTC KB-6151 to see if it had n-key rollover anyway (it doesn't). It works with both the generic white/beige ps/2 to USB adapters with that same 5-pin to ps/2 adapter or a Soarer's converter. Not sure where I have that exact same Monoprice ps/2 to USB adapter, but I don't believe it has given me any trouble.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2023, 21:50:14 by Maledicted »