Author Topic: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Over)  (Read 106309 times)

Offline geniekid

Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:48:16 »
I just saw the GB for this now.  :O  I'm definitely in.   :thumb:   Gotta support those Alps sets!

Welcome to a month ago Hoff :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:48:57 »
I just saw the GB for this now.  :O  I'm definitely in.   :thumb:   Gotta support those Alps sets!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:58:28 »
The V80 got a ton of good response at Keycon so I'm hoping that coming out soon will push more people to being interested in Alps keycap sets :).

I didn't see alot of discussion of it or a review or anything, for thoae of us who couldn't make it there. Did I miss the thread or something?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:00:10 »

:'(   Seems all too common lately.  :P

It's not my fault I've been largely AFK the last month!  -_-

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:01:35 »
The V80 got a ton of good response at Keycon so I'm hoping that coming out soon will push more people to being interested in Alps keycap sets :).

I didn't see alot of discussion of it or a review or anything, for thoae of us who couldn't make it there. Did I miss the thread or something?

I'll post a review soon. I have an engineering sample from KBParadise that I brought there. There is a thread but not a lot of posts in it yet.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 17:55:28 »

I'll post a review soon. I have an engineering sample from KBParadise that I brought there. There is a thread but not a lot of posts in it yet.

Maybe that's because you mention the thread but don't link to it.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline evera

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:15:51 »
In for a set.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:50:27 »
Great to see we've got some momentum here on this buy today. Assuming Hoff and evera signed up for one set each, added to the count on the home page, we are just 10 sets away from tipping at 50! It's an exciting time to be an Alps enthusiast, blazing a trail through the frontier of Alps keycap group buys. That is, after all, what we're doing--exploring new frontiers. Just like the settlers of old, eschewing the relative comforts of home, pushing westward, braving new challenges, risking their very lives all for the promise of a better tomorrow.

My friends, you and I are the Alps pioneers.

Many others have gone before us and fallen. Even some of us in this buy have attempted to settle the Alps GB wilderness, and we've come back with our tails between our legs. But we've nursed our wounds and bounced back, stronger than before. And we're focused--we've got our sights set on one thing.

One Thing. BX Teal Blue modifier key caps from Signature Plastics.

Some buys offer fancy alphas, color packs, layout adapters, and a whole bunch of other stuff. But all of those things add expense. This buy is about keeping it simple, the way the pioneers did things. One thing. You stick to that, and everything else don't mean squat.

101190-0

Will you join us on the frontier trail? Will you pack up your family and step out on faith with us? Because we need your help to give Alps enthusiasts everywhere a better tomorrow.

Order Form

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:55:08 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69454.0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:58:31 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69454.0

Thanks!

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:42:55 »
Great to see we've got some momentum here on this buy today. Assuming Hoff and evera signed up for one set each, added to the count on the home page, we are just 10 sets away from tipping at 50! It's an exciting time to be an Alps enthusiast, blazing a trail through the frontier of Alps keycap group buys. That is, after all, what we're doing--exploring new frontiers. Just like the settlers of old, eschewing the relative comforts of home, pushing westward, braving new challenges, risking their very lives all for the promise of a better tomorrow.

Many others have gone before us and fallen. Even some of us in this buy have attempted to settle the Alps GB wilderness, and we've come back with our tails between our legs. But we've nursed our wounds and bounced back, stronger than before. And we're focused--we've got our sights set on one thing.

Some buys offer fancy alphas, color packs, layout adapters, and a whole bunch of other stuff. But all of those things add expense. This buy is about keeping it simple, the way the pioneers did things. One thing. You stick to that, and everything else don't mean squat.

(Attachment Link)

Will you join us on the frontier trail? Will you pack up your family and step out on faith with us? Because we need your help to give Alps enthusiasts everywhere a better tomorrow.

Order Form

Awesome!  We are even closer than that, I hadn't updated for 2 weeks.  Just did a recount and the op shows where we actually are.  A couple people added new orders with more and removed their originals. 

Thanks for all the hype njbair, I can't help but picture you like this:

I think when we hit 50 orders (25 and 50 moqs met), I will message those that entered for the higher MOQs to see if they want to join at 50 and then give the buy a couple days for stragglers.  Once I close it, I will start collecting (shipping will be included since I will know how much you will be ordering and where it will be going). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:59:58 »
More

(Attachment Link)

Order Form

Awesome!  We are even closer than that, I hadn't updated for 2 weeks.  Just did a recount and the op shows where we actually are.  A couple people added new orders with more and removed their originals. 

Thanks for all the hype njbair, I can't help but picture you like this:
(Attachment Link)

I think when we hit 50 orders (25 and 50 moqs met), I will message those that entered for the higher MOQs to see if they want to join at 50 and then give the buy a couple days for stragglers.  Once I close it, I will start collecting (shipping will be included since I will know how much you will be ordering and where it will be going).

That makes 46!!! Even better.

And actually, I look more like this:

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 23:58:56 »
Just a quick bump.  We are only 1 order away on the main set and 5 away on the optional mods set to reach the 50 MOQ. 

Awesome!

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:18:39 »
When it comes down to it I opted in @ 75 on the main set and 50 on the optional.  With that being said, I will buy them both even if 75 isn't reached, knowing we will hit 50 on the main.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Applet

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 04:11:26 »
So, with Touch_It buying in at 50, we have effectively tipped the main kit at the "desired" level? This is great news! :D And with only 4 left (with Touch_It) for the optional kit, it's likely to also tip at 50, lovely. ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 04:19:08 by Applet »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 10:58:20 »
So, with Touch_It buying in at 50, we have effectively tipped the main kit at the "desired" level? This is great news! :D And with only 4 left (with Touch_It) for the optional kit, it's likely to also tip at 50, lovely. ;D
Yeah, definetely good news.  I am going to keep this open a little longer in hopes of reaching both sets to 50 ( and maybe a couple more on the main as a little buffer)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 11:55:47 »
Exciting times! The historic first ever successful Alps keycap group buy is about to drop. The Infinity Keyboard is on Massdrop for another round. KBParadise are making their v60 and v80 with Alps switches. Matias is going to town with promises of PBT keysets in the not too distant future, and already has full ABS sets for sale.
It's a great time to be a fan of Alps keyswitches!

edit: Somebody ought to hype this again over on r/mk and DT. Someone who's good at that sort of thing... ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 11:59:53 by zombimuncha »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 14:41:22 »
Exciting times! The historic first ever successful Alps keycap group buy is about to drop. The Infinity Keyboard is on Massdrop for another round. KBParadise are making their v60 and v80 with Alps switches. Matias is going to town with promises of PBT keysets in the not too distant future, and already has full ABS sets for sale.

edit: Somebody ought to hype this again over on r/mk and DT. Someone who's good at that sort of thing... ;D
I would but I stopped following /r/mk. I got tired of looking at shoes.

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 15:18:18 »

I just posted it over there.   :thumb:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/370sea/buying_alps_dcs_infinity_modifier_kit_group_buy/

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 16:01:38 »
Alright, I finally caved in! Ordered just now: one of each please. Let's get 50 on both!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 16:21:26 »

I just posted it over there.   :thumb:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/370sea/buying_alps_dcs_infinity_modifier_kit_group_buy/

Thanks buddy.  I also bumped the GB thread over on DT.  Not so good at the hype though. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 16:29:37 »
Who needs hype when you've got awesome keycaps?

Prepare to get Alps'd up, everyone! Onward to 75!!!

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 13:55:21 »
Ok guys and gals, here we go.  This is the official GB for the Alps DCS Infinity mods kit. 

Order Form

Show Image

Colors for the kit are NN (black)/BX (Teal blue) and are done in double shot abs with a DCS profile so that it matches the majority of existing alps caps.  Font for the caps will be Cherry. 
(Attachment Link)

The 2 logos for the kit are being generously donated by Nubbinator, njbair and jdcarpe.  An ultra huge thanks to you guys for the suggestions and donating to get these done.  I sincerely hope that they will be used again in the future for many more custom Alps keycap sets.   :thumb:

Nubbinator: 1.25x "Alps" mountain logo.  njbair: 1x "Alps" mountain logo. 
More
Show Image

jdcarpe:  "Glider" logo (minus the grids)
More

Pricing:  (current pledges to MOQ in parenthesis to the right of the pricing - I will be updating this every couple days unless there is no change)
I have added a small amount to the initial costs to cover shipping to me, but they still don't include the paypal and shipping from me.

Infinity Kit  (total pledges:  58)  updated 5/24/15
25 sets                   $59.16 per set   (20)
50 sets                   $43.22 per set   (31)
75 sets                   $37.78 per set   (6)
100 sets                 $35.36 per set   (1)

Optional Modifier Kit   (total pledges:  50)  updated 5/24/15
25 sets                   $13.49 per set   (24)
50 sets                   $8.99 per set   (22)
75 sets                   $7.65 per set   (2)
100 sets                 $6.77 per set   (2)

Ideally, if we can get to the 50 MOQ tier, the pricing will get much better.  The order form is done similar to a Massdrop style of entry for the GB so that we can track where we are on MOQ and help people that are on the fence in case they are worried about the buy not making the tier they want.  (Thanks to Mashby and enigcoder for the help).

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 14:02:36 »
Went in for a set.  Guess I should consider building an infinity in the near future!  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 17:22:52 »
It's time for everyone here to think long and hard about committing to a second set at the 75 MOQ. It's not that much more money, and it will *not* be hard to sell later, even at a premium if you're into that sort of thing.

This is genuine Alps swag, folks. The stuff off legends. Think it over!

My boards:
More

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:03:28 »
Joined up for a set, Just need something to put them on haha

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:24:25 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:58:11 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit?mode=guest_open

Ah thanks for the link, completely forgot they had Matias switches available!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:49:39 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit?mode=guest_open

Ah thanks for the link, completely forgot they had Matias switches available!

You can also use your choice of alps switches  :thumb:

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:08:43 »
Ordered at the 50x tier!  Now, do I get an Infinity or wait for a proper modern ANSI 60% plate for a Hasu PCB...
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:38:44 »
Ordered at the 50x tier!  Now, do I get an Infinity or wait for a proper modern ANSI 60% plate for a Hasu PCB...

If you're worried about waiting, the Infinity round 3 will almost certainly take longer. I ordered mine towards the end of round 2 in March and still haven't gotten them.

My boards:
More

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:53:13 »
I plan on using mine on a dell at101w (somehow).  Wish I had had the funds/time for a Hasu pcb.  Would be awesome. (If you like 60% boards)

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 23:00:25 »

If you're worried about waiting, the Infinity round 3 will almost certainly take longer. I ordered mine towards the end of round 2 in March and still haven't gotten them.

I PM'd Hasu to see if I could sneak in a PCB on the recent buy, if he has room.  I have blues and greens that need 60% homes, and only standard ANSI looks good to me (I would be tempted by a HHKB Alps layout though...), so I was never sold on the Infinity. Keycap options keep me from the V60.  I've been using my fullsize blues all year, it takes up so much room but I don't know if I can easily go back to the MX in my Poker!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Bull1919

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 18:08:09 »
I'm in, I don't even have an ALPS board though :P I guess that's going to have to change.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 18:11:00 »
I'm in, I don't even have an ALPS board though :P I guess that's going to have to change.

Awesome.  Welcome aboard.

Offline a-c

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:55:30 »
I read your post on Massdrop. Are the bottom row keys for both the standard and hacker layouts included?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 00:26:06 »
I read your post on Massdrop. Are the bottom row keys for both the standard and hacker layouts included?

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.  I was looking at my original drawings when I posted that.  This set includes both bottom rows. 

Offline a-c

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 00:41:22 »
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.  I was looking at my original drawings when I posted that.  This set includes both bottom rows.

Thanks, was only planning to use the standard row, but always good to have some flexibility.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:45:55 »
Just a quick bump.  Only 4 more orders on the optional kit and we will reach our goals of 50 Moq for the buy.  At that point, I will close it and start invoicing.  So close!

Offline scubaste

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:51:12 »
I'm in. Glad to be a part of this.  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:26:21 »
I'm in. Glad to be a part of this.  :thumb:

Awesome, thanks for joining. 

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:31:14 »
This is great. I'm looking forward to these. In the meantime, I have a noob question:

I plan to use these on a V60 MTS-Q. I signed up for the full set including modifiers. What else will I need to buy to make this work? I saw some mention of stabilizers etc., but have no clue how that works. Could anyone please list the exact things I will need to buy, and ideally with a link to a reliable vendor? I will *really* appreciate it! I want to make sure I have everything ready for when I get the new keys!

Sincerely,
cdp

Offline kebby

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 13:18:00 »
Also lacking a keyboard to put these on but I decided to jump in since I'm interested in checking out something other than MX. :)

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:09:09 »
Also lacking a keyboard to put these on but I decided to jump in since I'm interested in checking out something other than MX. :)

You can find some seriously cheap Alps boards. Check out the Dell AT101. They pop up in the classifieds every now and then.

I picked a Unitek with white alps from ebay for like $30 a couple months ago and I've been using it as my desktop daily driver since then! Unfortunately it suffers from big-ass enter disease so I'll have to pick up another when these caps drop  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:11:13 »

You can find some seriously cheap Alps boards. Check out the Dell AT101. They pop up in the classifieds every now and then.

I picked a Unitek with white alps from ebay for like $30 a couple months ago and I've been using it as my desktop daily driver since then! Unfortunately it suffers from big-ass enter disease so I'll have to pick up another when these caps drop  :thumb:

That's part of the appeal of getting into Alps for me. It's much cheaper to get into versus other switches.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:27:37 »

Note the at101w will not be natively compatible with these due to stabilizers.  With that being said there is a way.  I plan on winging it once I get my caps.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:14:15 »
This is great. I'm looking forward to these. In the meantime, I have a noob question:

I plan to use these on a V60 MTS-Q. I signed up for the full set including modifiers. What else will I need to buy to make this work? I saw some mention of stabilizers etc., but have no clue how that works. Could anyone please list the exact things I will need to buy, and ideally with a link to a reliable vendor? I will *really* appreciate it! I want to make sure I have everything ready for when I get the new keys!

Sincerely,
cdp

Note the at101w will not be natively compatible with these due to stabilizers.  With that being said there is a way.  I plan on winging it once I get my caps.
This is pretty much the answer.  You will have to tinker with the stabilizer wire and get some costar inserts (wasd has them).  Not 100% a sure fit until someone tries.  I put the caps from my chicony (uses costar inserts) on my old at101 and with just a tiny bit of sanding to the bottom of the insert it looks like it will clear the plate at full switch depression.  I didnt have the wires to test the bend though. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 10:52:14 »
We made it!  Our goal of 50 MOQ for each set has been met.  I will be pming those that submitted for the higher MOQs to see if they want in at the 50 price.  Give me a couple days to sort everything out and start putting out the invoices.

I will close this GB on Monday.

Thanks everyone for the support. 

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 12:25:10 »
Woo hoo!

Thanks for all your hard work Badwrench!!!