Author Topic: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Over)  (Read 106994 times)

Offline Frizer

Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Caps here?)
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:21:07 »
So we get both sets?

This is an unexpected but welcome surprise.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 17:49:23 »
So we get both sets?

Yup.  You have the option for both. 

Also, I just received a V60 courtesy of inanis, so I will be playing with the stabilizer wires to see what can be done to get them to work with costar inserts.  Looks like rhe width is fine, just need to play with the distance between the bends.  I will be picking up some wire on Tuesday and tinkering during the week.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline olijuice

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 00:31:42 »
Man I wish I had known about this group buy I would have definitely been in on it. If anyone has a spare set and modifiers they want to part with I would love to buy one of each. I'll even buy an incorrect set, I'm sure there will be plenty floating out there. Just throwing my interest in either Cherry font or the black Sheep font out there.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 10:45:55 »

Caps work on the V60.  I went looking through my old boards for one with the same gauge stabilizer wires and came across an old Compaq rubber dome.  The width of the bends was narrower, but that actually worked out better since upon straightening, the side arms ended up shorter (what I wanted), and it was just a matter of dialing in the angle to make sure that the switch can go through its stroke without binding.  The only wire I couldn't scavenge was the one for the right shift key.  The Matias uses a really long one that is almost as wide as the cap.  I ended up just modifying the stocker.  It is just a hair off on the right side and I plan on redoing it once I source some wire. 

One thing of note.  The stock Matias caps have the stem slightly recessed while the SP caps have it pretty much flush.  Rows 1-3 are pretty similar in height, but row 4 (Z row) is a bit different. 

110381-0

110383-1

110386-2

110390-3

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2015, 10:48:16 by Badwrench »

Offline SJHL

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 22:48:43 »
you just made my day. Thank you!   :eek:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 00:08:43 »
Show Image

Caps work on the V60.  I went looking through my old boards for one with the same gauge stabilizer wires and came across an old Compaq rubber dome.  The width of the bends was narrower, but that actually worked out better since upon straightening, the side arms ended up shorter (what I wanted), and it was just a matter of dialing in the angle to make sure that the switch can go through its stroke without binding.  The only wire I couldn't scavenge was the one for the right shift key.  The Matias uses a really long one that is almost as wide as the cap.  I ended up just modifying the stocker.  It is just a hair off on the right side and I plan on redoing it once I source some wire. 

One thing of note.  The stock Matias caps have the stem slightly recessed while the SP caps have it pretty much flush.  Rows 1-3 are pretty similar in height, but row 4 (Z row) is a bit different. 

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That's great, Badwrench. Can you please post the height of the "new" wires, so those of us making our own won't need to resort to trial an error?

Thx!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 00:32:43 »
Show Image

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That's great, Badwrench. Can you please post the height of the "new" wires, so those of us making our own won't need to resort to trial an error?

Thx!

Sure thing.  Once I get some wire and make the new one for the right shift, I will take them out and measure them up. 

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #357 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 17:37:58 »
Anyone got a nub Alps dolly that they would like to trade for? :3 hehe
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline U47

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:29:16 »
I can't wait for these mods.

Aside: is there anywhere one can find a 6u Alps spacebar (to make a perfect HHKB layout)? All the sets I see have 6.25u bars. :/

Or should I just hold out hope for the Alpine Winter set?

Offline E3E

« Reply #359 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:32:32 »

Aside: is there anywhere one can find a 6u Alps spacebar (to make a perfect HHKB layout)? All the sets I see have 6.25u bars. :/

Waiting will be the only stock option, I think. Aside from buying some key caps from an Alps Infinity, but then those would be DSA. I bought a pair of 6u DCS MX-compatible spacebars in black from SP (as they have listed on PMK) and plan on doing a stem swap mod on one of them. Glad they come in two packs, just in case I mess up.  :-X
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:34:12 by E3E »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:40:51 »

This right here is a huge part of why I'm doing Alpine Winter. You can barely find a 6U Cherry spacebar, let alone Alps.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline U47

« Reply #361 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:42:02 »
Waiting will be the only stock option, I think. Aside from buying some key caps from an Alps Infinity, but then those would be DSA. I bought a pair of 6u DCS MX-compatible spacebars in black from SP (as they have listed on PMK) and plan on doing a stem swap mod on one of them. Glad they come in two packs, just in case I mess up.  :-X

Yeah, I have an Infinity set, but I got the non-hacker plate (idiot!). Not the end of the world because I would need a custom plate anyway (that doesn't have the non-HHKB switch cuts). Not sure if it has both spacebars amongst the caps, but I don't think I could live with DSA.

Thanks for the confirmation, though. Update us on how that stem swap mod goes!

Offline U47

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:47:17 »

This right here is a huge part of why I'm doing Alpine Winter. You can barely find a 6U Cherry spacebar, let alone Alps.

Offline E3E

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:57:11 »

Yeah, I have an Infinity set, but I got the non-hacker plate (idiot!). Not the end of the world because I would need a custom plate anyway (that doesn't have the non-HHKB switch cuts). Not sure if it has both spacebars amongst the caps, but I don't think I could live with DSA.

Thanks for the confirmation, though. Update us on how that stem swap mod goes!

Will do! I have a lot of fun ideas for my Infinity. Mine is indeed the hacker layout variety, which already seems uncommon, but even more so in the original bent case variety (which I fell in love at first sight). Took a bit of searching to finally find one! I think you guys will like what I have in mind, unless, again, I seriously screw up. Haha. Hoping to pull through and post my build log on here. The bent case infinity might be my favorite, but it's so minimalist, that I wanted to do something to make it just a little more unique and practical.

Yeah, the hacker layout seemed very unpopular despite being the most-voted layout for the Infinity. Obviously because of lack of support. I love the look of it though. Good luck finding an Alps plate that supports the HHKB bottom row! Yeah, hindsight sucks. :-\ Did you get yours with a case or like mine with the bent plate?

Indeed. And some aren't even compatible with the Infinity! When I first got my Infinity (which had MX Greens installed), I tried to use the 6u space bar that came with the Gateron blanks I have, but not only did it have an offset stem, but also incompatible spacing for the stabilizer stems as well.

Definitely not a good thing!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:02:45 by E3E »

Offline U47

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:08:33 »
Will do! I have a lot of fun ideas for my Infinity. Mine is indeed the hacker layout variety, which already seems uncommon, but even more so in the original bent case variety (which I fell in love at first sight). Took a bit of searching to finally find one! I think you guys will like what I have in mind, unless, again, I seriously screw up. Haha. Hoping to pull through and post my build log on here. The bent case infinity might be my favorite, but it's so minimalist, that I wanted to do something to make it just a little more unique and practical.

Yeah, the hacker layout seemed very unpopular despite being the most-voted layout for the Infinity. Obviously because of lack of support. I love the look of it though. Good luck finding an Alps plate that supports the HHKB bottom row! Yeah, hindsight sucks. :-\ Did you get yours with a case or like mine with the bent plate?
I do have a universal plate on the way (jdcarpe's design) that will support the row, but it will have extra holes. I'm sure I'll have to get a custom plate cut :/

I got a case since I was in the second MD round. Didn't think to look for a bent plate. They do look sharp.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:11:11 »
Looking back, I would have gotten the standard bottom row layout if I had it to do over again. But as more and more of these things are being made, I think you'll start to see more 6U spacebar options appearing in the wild.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:16:20 »
Just a quick heads up for everyone.  The replacements caps are in production and should be finished soon.  In the mean time, I stayed busy  ;D

111383-0

111385-1

I spent most of this morning folding boxes and getting all of the existing sets ready and marked for everyone. 

Please pm me if you don't want the incorrect set and only want the Cherry legend set, thanks. 

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:33:10 »
Just a quick heads up for everyone.  The replacements caps are in production and should be finished soon.  In the mean time, I stayed busy  ;D

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I spent most of this morning folding boxes and getting all of the existing sets ready and marked for everyone. 

Please pm me if you don't want the incorrect set and only want the Cherry legend set, thanks.

Please, don't turn me on like that.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline geniekid

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:04:40 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:21:11 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Who says I have a penis?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:52:31 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Who says I have a penis?

Everyone knows every nerdy person on every nerdy website is a boy.

Offline olijuice

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:34:33 »
Would it be possible once you get the latest modifiers to take a side by side picture of both to compare the differences?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:51:39 »
Would it be possible once you get the latest modifiers to take a side by side picture of both to compare the differences?
I am planning on it. 

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 10:09:55 »

Will do! I have a lot of fun ideas for my Infinity. Mine is indeed the hacker layout variety, which already seems uncommon, but even more so in the original bent case variety (which I fell in love at first sight). Took a bit of searching to finally find one!

I have a "spare" Hacker Layout Bent Plate for the Infinity if still inclined... BNIB... or anyone else for that matter.

PM me if interested. I would be more than happy to trade for a Flat plate.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 10:19:54 »

Will do! I have a lot of fun ideas for my Infinity. Mine is indeed the hacker layout variety, which already seems uncommon, but even more so in the original bent case variety (which I fell in love at first sight). Took a bit of searching to finally find one!

I have a "spare" Hacker Layout Bent Plate for the Infinity if still inclined... BNIB... or anyone else for that matter.

In case you don't want to wait for a trade, BlueNalgene is getting ready to run a group buy for Alps PCBs and plates, and I think his plates will support the Infinity layout. IC thread here.

Also, if you need a full set of Alps caps, I'm running an IC for those as well.

My boards:
More

Offline E3E

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:17:38 »

I just finished my build with a bent plate hacker layout case. I definitely wouldn't mind having a spare myself for a future project, perhaps with orange or green alps!

Many thanks to Badwrench for sending these to me early (I used the shipping costs I paid to have these sent early and so I'll be billed for shipping again once the Cherry font versions come around -- I requested this because I accidentally bricked my vintage blue alps board and desperately wanted to put its remains to use :P)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 12:18:05 »
Looks good! Are those "feet" something custom that you added?

My boards:
More

Offline E3E

« Reply #377 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 12:28:35 »
Looks good! Are those "feet" something custom that you added?

Thanks! Here are some more pictures to show some detail. The feet/non-slip pads are something I've added, yep! The stock bent case has no sort of gripping feet at all and skids around like crazy. It's practically a sled. Soooo I decided to add some silicone foam to the bottom to prevent that and because of the crazy surface area, it doesn't slip whatsoever. It's grippier than any keyboard I've used, haha. No way I can use a sleeve case with this, but thankfully I have a HHKB zip up case that fits it nicely.

Also notable is the acrylic sheet I used to cover the exposed area of the PCB on the bottom. It was mainly done because it was uncomfortable to grab from beneath, but it's good to protect all the exposed circuitry. I glued nuts down to the PCB on the other side (with loctite brush-on, loctite ultra gel, and E6000 [overkill?]) and used M2 mounting screws to secure it to the plate. If any of the nuts were to come unfastened, it'd be almost impossible to access the PCB without cutting/tearing/snapping the acrylic off, which wouldn't be good, so I made sure they'd stay put.

I originally had the idea of doing that bit from the thought of adding LED strips or a battery pack to make it wireless. :)

Excuse the fuzzy pics.  :-X The last pic shows the detail of the backside!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 12:31:08 by E3E »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #378 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:55:19 »
Look what just showed up. 

And one for njbair - that cherry font short backspace.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:57:05 »
Awww yiss

Offline E3E

« Reply #380 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:58:50 »
Show Image

Show Image

My Infinity is ready! <3 Love the way these look, dayum! Gonna be hot with Alpine Winter in the mix too!

Invoice me whenever you need to when it comes to shipping, Badwrench, and thanks for doing all this, once again!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #381 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:00:21 »
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks Badwrench! I was scrolling down to the reply button to ask about that backspace.

Also, can't wait for these to arrive!

My boards:
More

Offline geniekid

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:56:10 »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #383 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:58:07 »
Dang those look good. I would love to pick up a set later if anyone ordered extras.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:06:48 »
Can't wait to get them!!

Offline Vio

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:47:45 »
So we get both sets?

Yup.  You have the option for both. 

Also, I just received a V60 courtesy of inanis, so I will be playing with the stabilizer wires to see what can be done to get them to work with costar inserts.  Looks like rhe width is fine, just need to play with the distance between the bends.  I will be picking up some wire on Tuesday and tinkering during the week.

:eek: Awesome, I'm in for both

Thanks badwrench  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #386 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:01:46 »
I got a bunch packed and labeled, and still have more to go.  Huge shout out to nubbinator for driving down from the OC and helping me to get the caps boxed and organized, it was a tremendous help.  It was also cool to hang out and have a couple amazing beers and some pizza.  International shipping invoices will be going out over the next couple days. 

Here are some pics of the corrected caps.

112045-0

112047-1

112049-2

Offline scubaste

« Reply #387 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:05:30 »
I got a bunch packed and labeled, and still have more to go.  Huge shout out to nubbinator for driving down from the OC and helping me to get the caps boxed and organized, it was a tremendous help.  It was also cool to hang out and have a couple amazing beers and some pizza.  International shipping invoices will be going out over the next couple days. 

Here are some pics of the corrected caps.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That sounds like a pretty good time! Also I got a shipping confirmation thru paypal so THANKS Nubbs and Badwrench. Can't wait to see them on a board and take some pics.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:10:47 »
Nice! Just in time for the Orion v2!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline newc303

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:20:22 »
What is everyone doing for the alpha keys? I'm currently using my Infinity with the blank DSA's but I feel like it'll clash with these Cherry profiled modifiers.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #390 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:56:18 »
What is everyone doing for the alpha keys? I'm currently using my Infinity with the blank DSA's but I feel like it'll clash with these Cherry profiled modifiers.
I've got a new GB for a full 60% set! Check my sig.

My boards:
More

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 06:22:49 »
I have some BoW Cyrillic doubleshots from a HUE.
All I need is an Alps board but money will be tight until later this year.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:41:08 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 18:53:39 »
All but 2 domestic packages have been sent, they will go out tomorrow.  All shipping invoices are out for international orders and I will ship them as they are paid. 

Offline atectatifern

Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Shipping)
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 19:02:13 »
Sweet! Anticipation level: Ketchup. Thanks for all your work on this!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #394 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 19:02:57 »
I got my shipping notice a while back, it looks like mine are going to arrive tomorrow!

My boards:
More

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #395 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 01:49:44 »
All but 2 domestic packages have been sent, they will go out tomorrow.  All shipping invoices are out for international orders and I will ship them as they are paid.
Paid. Lay that good stuff on me!

(btw, there's no "e" in my username!)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 02:05:43 »
Paid. Lay that good stuff on me!

(btw, there's no "e" in my username!)

Sorry about that.  My mind just automatically put it in.  Also, the printout from Google docs is so tiny I can barely read it. 

Either way, I will have your box in the post tomorrow.   :thumb:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 04:54:54 »
Just paid my shipping. Let the Alps roll! :D
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #398 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 04:57:54 »

Either way, I will have your box in the post tomorrow.   :thumb:

cool. Thanks BW.
It's race between these and the Massdrop TaiHao's! Which will reach me first? Which will stay on my V80 the longest? Nobody knows!

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #399 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 05:00:44 »
cool. Thanks BW.
It's race between these and the Massdrop TaiHao's! Which will reach me first? Which will stay on my V80 the longest? Nobody knows!
Ha! I was just thinking that the timing of those two was fortuitous. Else, I'd have put the DCS modifiers on my Infinity with DSA blanks and possibly disrupted the keyboard space-time continuum.