Author Topic: What's the keyboard layout in The Matrix?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline aegrotatio

What's the keyboard layout in The Matrix?
« on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 22:17:05 »
What's the keyboard layout in The Matrix?  The original, first film has these keyboards that look bizarre to me.  Are they in a known layout, like Japanese, or are they just totally random craziness built like that for the movie?
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 22:45:29 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;265969
What's the keyboard layout in The Matrix?  The original, first film has these keyboards that look bizarre to me.  Are they in a known layout, like Japanese, or are they just totally random craziness built like that for the movie?

Looks like a GeekHack Space Saver!  :wink:.

But seriously.  I'm not sure about other keyboards in the movie, but did read a bit of trivia about the very first keyboard shown. Supposedly in the beginning Neo is using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro. When Trinity contacts him. Neo thinks it's a glitch or something, so he hits escape, then tries control x.  The key next to the control key is completely and mysteriously white because it's a Microsoft keyboard, complete with the Windows key. They forgot to get a plain, generic keyboard when making the movie, so they just covered it with tape or painted over it. Or at least that's what I read.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 23:11:12 »
maybe they got the natural pro cuz it was basically what everyone was kinda using in 99 i mean it was the ergonomic option, also the keyboards that the opertor (the ppl w/ headsets) use i think it was close to a siig or basically the formfactor of a ml4100 one on top of another.