Author Topic: Rosewill, MX Blues, glass of water...advice?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Rosewill, MX Blues, glass of water...advice?
« on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:27:26 »
I immediately unplugged it, turned it upside down (keycaps facing down) on a towel, and popped all the keycaps off.

Any more I can do?

How likely is it I killed the board? Obviously I'm not typing on it right now - I switched back to my Filco.

It was just tap water. No sugar or anything else. Plain old water.

Also, a reminder to not be an idiot and place a glass of water on the desk right above your keyboard tray. I accept that this is entirely my fault. :pout:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:29:41 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline stuiees

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:34:24 »
Not sure what the chances of the board being dead but I have dropped old cellphones in water and have been able to fix them by doing the following:

Immediately after getting it wet I blow dry it, not too much heat...  Get most of the water out of the little cracks.  Then have left the phone in a bag of rice for several hours.  

Hope your board is okay.
I like Topre!

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:35:34 »
warranty? send it back!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline jimmy919

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:36:46 »
Maybe put it in a bag of rice?  It supposedly works on cell phones, so you just need to scale up.
Currently Using:  Filco MX Blue Tenkeyless with GeekHack Double-shot Keycaps

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:36:46 »
Quote from: kidchunks;263300
warranty? send it back!

Wouldn't it be typical to have stickers on the inside for water damage?

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:40:57 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;263302
Wouldn't it be typical to have stickers on the inside for water damage?

Didn't think that applied to keyboards...I know cell phones are notorious for that.
Topre || BS > *

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:44:32 »
Quote from: ripster;263303
I have a feeling you'll be OK.  Once the controller circuitry is dry you can plug it in even if a switch is affected without harming anything.

I'm not sure it ever got wet. The numpad was unscathed. Most of the water was on the right side of the home row and the row above/below.

And it wasn't a ton. No sloshing or anything. The towel is barely wet.

I'll tell you how I fared in the morning (or maybe I should wait a full 24 hours...). I think it'll work fine, I was just wondering if there was any more I could do.

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:49:19 »
My suggestion is to put the keyboard it a air-tight bag/box together with a disposable dehumidifier like shown below:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 December 2010, 22:56:36 by squarebox »
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 23:24:37 »
take off all your caps. and use hair blower to blow it. blow it from far, and lower temperature.
just to make it dry.

Offline johnnysasaki

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 23:29:17 »
Quote from: stuiees;263299
Immediately after getting it wet I blow dry it, not too much heat...  Get most of the water out of the little cracks.

Whatever you do, don't blow dry it or use any kind of fan. The air movement can push water droplets further into cracks and crevices and move it around the board. The heat from the dryer can also turn small amounts of water droplets into vapour, which can then creep even further into the board.

Best bet is to remove the key caps like you did, get all major droplets out with a small towel/tissue twisted into a point (or a bunch of Q-Tips), and then follow up by leaving it in a bag of rice for a day or two. Desiccant pellets work better, but most people (apart from scuba-photographers like my uncle and I) won't have these in large quantities (we put our camera equipment in cases with these pellets to make sure they aren't damaged by stray water vapour).

You will probably want to bag the board in a dry bag, such as a paper or thin-cloth bag, before putting it in the rice sack. You don't want the tiny bits of rice dust (tiny particles come off from the rice grains rubbing together) in your switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 December 2010, 23:37:43 by johnnysasaki »
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless NKRO Otaku (Brown)
HHKB Pro. 2 Otaku (white)
Logitech VX Revo
Mac Mini (Mid 2010)

Offline dec.net

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 04:40:26 »
The rice sack idea sounds promising. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, after all it's a keyboard - there aren't too many places where high currents could run, so you probably won't damage it by plugging in if it isn't perfectly dry; the worst thing that can happen with any probability is you might lose functionality on some keys, but I guess there are enough offers for replacement switches.

However, if it was my board, meaning that the owner didn't care about losing warranty at all and was a lot less worried about damaging his expensive stuff right now than having to order and wait for comparatively cheap new parts later, I'd try the following:

Remove all keycaps, open it up and carefully but thoroughly wipe it dry, using paper towels and q-tips. If it looked like water might have entered the mechanics, I'd flush it all in pure alcohol (don't use any diluted stuff, it may leave a residue when dried) or, even better, isopropanol. The alcohol will absorb the water and obviously it will dry off a lot better; also it doesn't corrode the metal parts. However, it might damage some rubbery parts, so be warned - I'd still risk it unless some gurus here warned me not to because they've tried it on the exact type of switch and faced problems.

Then let the disassembled parts sleep in a warm and dry place for a night or two - the inside of a rice sack on top of a heater sounds ideal for that purpose, but if you flushed it with alcohol, any dry place will probably do. Check for any remaining wet spots in places you can't get to (if needs be, let it dry some more) and reassemble.

Chris
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 December 2010, 04:45:26 by dec.net »
Daily drivers at home: \'93 IBM Model M; Currently: Model F XT (hebrew layout), adapted via Teensy.
Daily driver at University: Marquardt HEROS miliary board.
Take-with-me-board: G80-1800 (blue/black).
Boards I don\'t use: DS 102W (cherry 1800 lookalike, waterproof industrial case with ultra-mushy membrane switches). Dell AT102W (don\'t like it too much, very uneven feeling - last chance is to teflon-coat the sliders)

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 10:32:19 »
just open it all up and give it a couple of days to dry.  As long as the water did not short out anything before you unplugged it, it should be fine.  People can and still do clean up dirty/dusty circuit boards using distilled water.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 12:37:25 »
I'm still letting it dry out, but I'm happy to report that the water amount must not have been that great because I plugged in the keyboard briefly and every switch works properly. Unplugged and letting it dry for another 48 hours or so.

Cautious optimism.

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 12:55:11 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;263546
I'm still letting it dry out, but I'm happy to report that the water amount must not have been that great because I plugged in the keyboard briefly and every switch works properly. Unplugged and letting it dry for another 48 hours or so.

Cautious optimism.

Grats! Now be sure to keep that water away :P
Topre || BS > *

Offline runeazn

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 12:56:35 »

Cautious optimism.

Just hope that the switch spring doesn't rust :(
after that you'r fine :)
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline msiegel

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 13:36:47 »
i spilled water into a model m mini... killed it due to corrosion of the membranes.

you won't have that problem :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 08:55:49 »
Alright so some people are going to think I am very crazy here so just bare with me. I have put electronics into the dishwasher. Namely laptops that have had fluids spilled on to them. This will avoid corrosion. For a laptop, I generally dissemble the entire machine, then it goes in the machine. DO NOT PUT THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS IN THE MACHINE: LCD screen (This does not include the inverter), Hard drive, CMOS Battery and Laptop Battery... EVERYTHING ELSE IS DISHWASHER SAFE. Run it on normal cycle, no soap, normal dry. When they get out of the dishwasher, I spend about an hour or two making sure everything is perfectly dry with a blowdryer. (Don't forget chips on a board can often hold water underneath them, make sure to get this.) Then let it sit in dry area with a bed of rice overnight. Make sure everything is dry the next day and re-assemble. TADA you have a laptop that is not going to be corroded in 2-6 months...

Now... If it were I, (And yes I also own an RK-9000) I would dissemble it and then put it in the dishwasher, silicon and all. (You might want to make sure to take apart your switches so that water doesn't stay inside them and rust out your springs and whatnots)

This way, I could much better protect myself from corrosion in the future.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 December 2010, 08:59:56 by NAVIWORLDINC »

Offline runeazn

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 09:01:50 »
Quote from: NAVIWORLDINC;263968
Alright so some people are going to think I am very crazy here so just bare with me. I have put electronics into the dishwasher. Namely laptops that have had fluids spilled on to them. This will avoid corrosion. For a laptop, I generally dissemble the entire machine, then it goes in the machine. DO NOT PUT THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS IN THE MACHINE: LCD screen (This does not include the inverter), Hard drive, CMOS Battery and Laptop Battery... EVERYTHING ELSE IS DISHWASHER SAFE. Run it on normal cycle, no soap, normal dry. When they get out of the dishwasher, I spend about an hour or two making sure everything is perfectly dry with a blowdryer. (Don't forget chips on a board can often hold water underneath them, make sure to get this.) Then let it sit in dry area with a bed of rice overnight. Make sure everything is dry the next day and re-assemble. TADA you have a laptop that is not going to be corroded in 2-6 months...

Now... If it were I, (And yes I also own an RK-9000) I would dissemble it and then put it in the dishwasher, silicon and all. (You might want to make sure to take apart your switches so that water doesn't stay inside them and rust out your springs and whatnots)

This way, I could much better protect myself from corrosion in the future.

Taking a switch out a plate mounted mechanical keyboard is PITA.
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 09:09:42 »
Quote from: runeazn;263972
Taking a switch out a plate mounted mechanical keyboard is PITA.

I don't think you would need to take the plate off, just wash it so it is horizontal and water gets in between the board and the plate. I would assume this would take extra time to dry using my technique but I would still do it.

Quote from: ripster;263971
That's nice. You are a braver man than I.

Thank You. I've been doing it for a while now. (I work in IT at a small/medium sized company, Can't afford to buy a new laptop for everyone that spills their coffee on their Latitudes) I wash a laptop almost once every two months or so... The trick is getting it washed within 48 hours within the spill...

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 11:18:24 »

Cautious optimism.

Glad it's looking positive.  Sorry I'm so late to reply here, been pretty busy lately.

Depending on what the device is, it might benefit to prop it up vertically at least part of the time so moisture which might be trapped by a given position has a chance to drain.

Again depending on the device you might consider putting it in the sun or mild oven to allow heat to turn water into vapor.

Finally silica, or rice if you don't have silica, will absorb moisture and effectively pull it out of devices.

These can all be combined of course.  Usually though in my experience a good long drying does the trick.

It really all depends though.  You might be boned if there is something that suffers immediate water damage or traps water and gets long term damage as a result, or if the device is powered and something shorts out.

Offline Crypt

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 11:35:54 »
I've washed a cheapo Logitech membrane keyboard and IBM model M in the bathtub...no problemz!~

Probably not the best way to go, though, lol

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 12:06:26 »
I bet you could do that with a Ducky!

Offline Crypt

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 12:10:52 »
Just to clarify, I was not in the bathtub at the same time.

Maybe next time!

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 12:54:47 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;264070
I bet you could do that with a Ducky!

Good idea! I'm gonna play with my Ducky in the tub next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 13:34:23 »
Quote from: ripster;264105
Oblig.

I got 1 infraction point at OCN for this.  They don't like black people.

Wasn't Little Richard identified as actually being an alien in "Men in Black"?  If not, he should have been, :wink:.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 16:34:25 »
I just emptied a 1/3 litre mug of tea into my new G80-1800. I immediately turned it key-down and let it sit there while I turned off the PC, then angled it so the tea would pour out at one corner. It's seriously drenched, blowing into every MX switch made it apparent that they were wet inside as well. I think I've got most of it out, and now it's gonna sit on the windowsill face down for a few days while I scrub the keycaps and enjoy my rubber dome. Maybe I'll lay it face down on a sheet of rice, but that seems pretty futile and possibly messy.

On the upside.. afterwards, it'll smell like elder with honey and not chain-smoker.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 December 2010, 16:40:57 by godly_music »

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 20:42:07 »
From what I understand (from reading about electronics in general when I was doing some research into repairing my Sony Trinitron) wet electronics isn't a bad thing as long they are not ON at the time.  The damage comes from components being shorted by the conductive water, not from being wetted per se as they are generally non-porous anyway.  Once the water is gone, so is the threat.   Generally if the short hasn't happened right when you spill on it before you get it unplugged, the prognosis is generally good for recovery provided that there isn't any sticky residue.  But even a sugary spill can be remedied by a good cleaning with some fast drying solution or alcohol (it can be done with distilled water provided that the thing is allowed sufficient drying before powering up again.) They even make some commercially available electronics cleaner sprays that are supposed to aid drying.

As to corroded traces on the membranes, or even pcbs, these can also be repaired with a circuit writer pen from Radio Shack which cost anywhere from $6-$13.  And if you do use a dishwasher be cautious about the heated dry cycle as it can melt stuff if hot enough.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline msiegel

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 20:46:22 »
did you fix your trinitron?

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 23:18:19 »
No.  In fact its still sitting across the room with the back off taking up considerable space doing nothing but drawing dust.  But my problem was just the crt dying, not moisture related, but I picked up quite an education in the process of seeking aid for it I guess.  I got a replacement for $100 bucks used eventually   Considering I paid quite a premium for mine in 97 with the expectation that it would live at least til '07 I'm very disappointed in Sony since it quit on me in late '04 or early '05.    Next Tv is one of the Samsung LED beauties.  I actually like the picture on those better than anything else I've seen including the top model stuff from Sony (who in my mind, had previously reigned supreme in terms of picture quality...)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 23:20:32 »
well it was worth an effort. trinitron is a fine piece of technology :)

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 23:33:46 »
I believe there is also a spray that adds a "protective coating" to prevent same.   Maybe even WD-40 might work?

Offline godly_music

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 05:27:22 »
So guys. Can I put a drop of Ethanol in each switch to eliminate the water?

I was never good at Chemistry but I know it attracts water. I also know mixing the two is exothermic. So does my keyboard explode?
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 December 2010, 05:53:21 by godly_music »

Offline godly_music

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 16:01:37 »
I used denatured Ethanol, put a few drops into every switch with a syringe and then drained a 1/4 cup over the PCB. When I came home tonight it was all gone (except for the sticker on the back where it didn't evaporate funnily enough). I blowdried it and am now writing on it as we speak. It worked beautifully and while I can't say how it affected the plastic (plastic still looks the same), from now on this'll be my solution for electronics + water.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 22:02:42 »
I soaked some of my rubber dome keyboards in booze by accident and after a good rinsing and at least a week's drying they work perfectly fine.

These were rubber dome beaters.  I haven't tried this on a mechanical keyboard yet.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow