Author Topic: Are topres worth it  (Read 14315 times)

Offline twilek

Are topres worth it
« on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:51:20 »
So yah, recently I made a troll post about topres. But now I'm thinking of how great it would be to have  a topre. So I ask you, are there any of you out there who love their topres, or maybe you've tried both and are sticking to your cherries. Either way, I WANT TO KNOWS!!!!!!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: Are topres worth it
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:52:42 »
I've wanted a HHKB since I joined and now that I've finally gotten one I feel like I was wasting my time with a lot of Cherry based boards before.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:54:01 »
I've wanted a HHKB since I joined and now that I've finally gotten one I feel like I was wasting my time with a lot of Cherry based boards before.

This but replace HHKB with a Realforce for me. I absolutely love it.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:54:23 »

It is the inevitable feeling when oneness with cup rubber happens.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:56:15 »
It's personal preference, but most will say it feels better. Although when you go topre, you throw a lot of keycap customization out the door.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:57:05 »
Yes, Topre is far better than Cherry.

Offline twilek

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 17:58:07 »
Oh yah, keycap customization. Do they have black keycaps available? And does anyone know where I could grab one for cheaps?

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:00:03 »
I much prefer Topre! Although WhiteFireDragon talks sense, so you have to have a cherry board as well to bling up  :p Ok maybe more than one cherry board.

Black keycaps? They do a black realforce and a black HHKB so you could buy either of those. Elitekeyboards sell the black keycaps for HHKB:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=pdkb400ktb
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=pdkb400ktbn

Just keep checking classifieds to try pick one up cheap, although I'm sure EK has reduced them lately as well!

Offline Saturn

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:03:03 »
It might be worth the money.  But is it worth losing your soul over?

Think about that.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:04:28 »
The cheapest Topre stuff will be on amazon.jp but if you don't know anyone over there then the proxy services are your best bet and they charge. So I'm not sure if you use a service that you'll get enough of a discount to bother. Best bet on a budget is going to be used boards from ebay or in the classifieds.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:06:05 »
So yah, recently I made a troll post about topres.

I love how mater-of-fact he says this without the slightest hint of shame.  I admire his skills at avoiding the banhammer.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:07:13 »
I prefer Cherry's. As a gamer I feel I get more control from my Red switches regarding movement then I could ever get with Topre. It is after-all a half membrane / half spring/mechanical switch and that is exactly what it feels like.

BUT, if I were typist of any kind and was typing day and night the Topre would be my first choice.

EDIT: The question "are they worth it?" is entirely subjective. Right now for myself I'd say no but like I said above I don't like it for gaming. For typing I'd say that yes a Realforce would be worth it but a HHKB is over-priced for what it is in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:09:29 by L4yercake »

Offline twilek

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:10:18 »
I prefer Cherry's. As a gamer I feel I get more control from my Red switches regarding movement then I could ever get with Topre. It is after-all a half membrane / half spring/mechanical switch and that is exactly what it feels like.

BUT, if I were typist of any kind and was typing day and night the Topre would be my first choice.
I'm gonna use it for gaming so for me atleast I really want the thing that gives me the most control. Any advice on which switch type give you the most control

I love how mater-of-fact he says this without the slightest hint of shame.  I admire his skills at avoiding the banhammer.
Yes trolling is a very delicate and beautiful art. It requires that you act like a twelve year old, but with profanity. Plus I dont think the **** admins would pull a ripster on me.

Offline twilek

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:10:52 »
If anyone is an admin, please, please dont ban me. It was a joke, come on guys, I dont wanna die young!!!!!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:13:29 »
hahah I put the fear of god in this one :P

It's taken care of so don't get too excited, now on with the Topre oppinions!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:17:00 »
Not for me. Sure, I've recently paid about $400 for an ErgoDox, but it's extremely customizable, split matrix keyboard. I'm not willing to waste the same amount of money on a keyboard with the same !@#$ing staggered layout as mechanical typewriters more than 100 years ago. Oh, right... the μTron.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:18:50 »

I'm gonna use it for gaming so for me atleast I really want the thing that gives me the most control. Any advice on which switch type give you the most control

Yes trolling is a very delicate and beautiful art. It requires that you act like a twelve year old, but with profanity. Plus I dont think the **** admins would pull a ripster on me.

I'm currently using Reds and hopefully next week I'll be getting some 55g Clears which I'll put too the test. But like all things CherryMX its all opinion based. 3 people on my team use Blues, 1 uses browns, 1 uses Blacks and I use Reds so I can't tell you which one is best you really have to try them all.

I will note however. My next board will have a mix of Blues / Vintage Blacks 45g springs. All the movement keys will have Vintage Blacks and all the keys use for actions/weap swaps etc will have blues simply for some positive feedback and too avoid any potential fumbling.

Offline twilek

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:19:30 »
Interesting, so it basically seems like a matter of opinion. I knew that but what about for gaming. Which gives me the most control.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:21:29 »

EDIT: The question "are they worth it?" is entirely subjective. Right now for myself I'd say no but like I said above I don't like it for gaming. For typing I'd say that yes a Realforce would be worth it but a HHKB is over-priced for what it is in my opinion.

Why would you say RF is better than Topre for non-gaming activities?

I'd almost argue the opposite, the Sun Type-3 layout, IMO, is perfect. Well... almost.

My only complaints about the HHKB (my most used keyboard at home)
1. I would really like right handed "WASD" arrows instead

If I could change the function layer without doing a Teensy mod an have hardware colemak, I'd be a happy guy. Also 55g would be nice (see EKW808s mod)

While these complaints can be remedied with mods I want it to have these functionalities out of the box.

EDIT: I also agree with Davkol about the staggering but that just isn't going to happen. uTron would be awesome but just not for $700 >_<

Topre switches are great for gaming as long as it isn't a variable force version. Albeit you won't have as much control over actuation as say, an MX black or green.

All this being said, you should just see if you can try one locally. We can talk about it till we're blue in the face but you won't really know if it is going to work for you till you try it out for a while.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:27:00 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:23:48 »

Why would you say RF is better than Topre for non-gaming activities?

I'd almost argue the opposite, the Sun Type-3 layout, IMO, is perfect. Well... almost.

My only complaints about the HHKB (my most used keyboard at home)
1. I would really like right handed "WASD" arrows instead

If I could change the function layer without doing a Teensy mod an have hardware colemak, I'd be a happy guy. Also 55g would be nice (see EKW808s mod)

While these complaints can be remedied with mods I want it to have these functionalities out of the box.

I did not say it would be better. I said it would be worth the $60 you save imo.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:26:08 »
i prefer my cherry mx over the 45g Topre HHKB  :-X i used my HHKB exclusively for 2 months, then went to try different cherry mx switches (red/black/red/blue/white/brown) then tried the topre HHKB again for a week and i really didn't like it much. I like blues, no lube, no o-rings the best (its loud though).

I can see why people would like Topre though, its a very modern feel. There absolutely NO reason to bash Topre. I love the HHKB layout but I've started using my poker only. I'm not interested in selling my HHKB though, somebody asked that once; no.

I invested so much into ergodox, phantom, poker, and eventually GH60 so there is no going back; the wallet has spoken.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:30:59 »
the only person you trolled with a weak-ass troll like that are trolls who take pride in their work

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:32:11 »
It all boils down to personal preference.  I can see the virtues in pretty much every board/switch that I've tried.  Personally, I find myself using my HHKB a little more than the others :)
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:33:57 »
For me, it's:

HHKB Type-S (silent) for work on my Mac
Realforce 55g weighted for home/gaming

You can't compare cherry to topre. they work completely different. You just need to try them for a good week or so, and decide for yourself.

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:37:16 »
One more thing to take into account - I find the noise of clicking and clacking to be super therapeutic.  In this regard, the HHKB takes the cake.  Total eargasm.
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:44:12 »
I prefer cherry over topre.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:57:52 »
I prefer the extreme customization of a Cherry board over a standalone Topre. They do feel nice though.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 18:59:45 »
When I get up in the morning I have to answer a lot of e-mails, and I'm literally excited to sit down and start typing on my Realforce. I don't even care how lame that is. :cool:
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:08:03 »
I like all the switch types and switch among them pretty regularly. If I had to pick one keyboard to use for the rest of my life it would probably be an HHKB.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:18:20 »
Pretty sure I don't need to chime in, as my opinion should be obvious by now

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:20:20 »
We should just have a sticked thread about this.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:36:33 »
I was able to play with a HHKB for a day last week, and while I liked it a lot, and got used to it, I'll still take Cherry MX Browns all day long. When done properly, browns feel better than anything I've tried. It's all subjective, but that's how I feel. And I like having some decent options for $100 or less.

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:38:29 »
get 55g rf, and it's worth it.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:52:15 »
No. Yes. Yes. No. Er, No. Yes. Maybe. Maybe yes. Probably. Probably not. MX 4 LYFE! T0pR3 OR DIE! uh. Long story short... Maybe.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:56:48 »

It does feel like it comes up every week now.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 20:09:28 »

It does feel like it comes up every week now.

We need our polls back.

No. Yes. Yes. No. Er, No. Yes. Maybe. Maybe yes. Probably. Probably not. MX 4 LYFE! T0pR3 OR DIE! uh. Long story short... Maybe.

^and this.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 22:33:30 »
For me:
55g uniform = fawk yeah, nothing else comes close to the feel.
Other Topres = kinda, but not really.  They feel good, but not enough to justify the price in my opinion.

Keep in mind I like a heavy switch, so it might be different for you.  The only light switch that I enjoy is ergo clears.

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 23:29:53 »
I love my Realforce, I really like my Filco but I'm getting one (or 2 :x) HHKB2 from friends visiting Japan.

Braingasm :

My only "QUESTION" now is HHKB2 vs JAP ISO layout HHKB2 vs Type-S "we only live once". :p
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline twilek

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 23:51:25 »
Yah, I think I'm sticking to my leopold from now on, my wallet has cried enough and if I buy another I'll end up like you people. Not that that is bad, it just so happens that I dont have the dough to swim in a sea of keyboards.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 00:27:43 »
As far as expensive stuff (not just keyboards) go, I'm going to do something I never ever do:

YOLO

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 00:31:44 »
Gah, the sound of that hhkb makes me want to forgo a gh60 BT and sell my poker

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 00:39:35 »
Braingasm :

OMG best sound ever. I'm seriously considering sampling each key on my HHKB individually and writing an app for my phone that simulates typing, but completely random. I could fall asleep to that in a heartbeat.

PS: That guy's typing technique makes my hands hurt just watching it.

Offline bavman

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 01:09:42 »
In order of best to worst switches:

MX blues > every other switch

basically

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 01:47:00 »
I wonder if some Topre owners are so subjective because they must convince themselves the $300+ they just spent on a board was worth it.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 01:53:02 »

lol, gotta love it. Banter and trolling is part of the fun on a forum!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 01:56:20 »
I wonder if some Topre owners are so subjective because they must convince themselves the $300+ they just spent on a board was worth it.

Why is this always the go-to argument?

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:07:43 »

It might be true for some people it might not be for others. That's the great thing about keyboards, one person can't tell another person what switch/keyboard they'll like because every single person has different tastes. Arguing over keyboards is a little silly but then again this is the Internet AND this is a forum...etcetcetc...

CONTINUE!

edit: I will say this. If someone decides to spend $300 on a keyboard and over time learns to enjoy each key-press whats so wrong with that?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:20:27 »

It might be true for some people it might not be for others. That's the great thing about keyboards, one person can't tell another person what switch/keyboard they'll like because every single person has different tastes. Arguing over keyboards is a little silly but then again this is the Internet AND this is a forum...etcetcetc...

CONTINUE!

edit: I will say this. If someone decides to spend $300 on a keyboard and over time learns to enjoy each key-press whats so wrong with that?
It's really that I don't understand why they cost so much. The build quality isn't any better than say, a Filco, yet it's twice the price. I kind of think that the makers of the boards know they can just charge whatever they want and people will pay it without question. Is the manufacturing cost really that much higher to warrant it?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:34:30 »
Topre products and Cherry products aren't comparable. At least not in terms of what you get for your money. Either way you get a keyboard.

I look at it like: Japanese luxury imported product. Expensive? Yes. Feels better? Yes? Designed better? Yes.

And don't try to tell me I'm rationalizing an expense, it was a gift, so while I understand what the prices are it doesn't change how I feel about the keyboard when I'm typing on it (like right now). I'm probably going to end up buying another.

If the product didn't warrant the charge then it wouldn't sell to the extent it has. This isn't just a rich kid toy, there are thousands of Topre products in the hands of discerning enthusiasts, enough that I don't think they could get away with a sub-par product.

If you don't think it's worth the price don't buy one. But don't pretend it isn't "worth" the money if you haven't given one a shot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:40:18 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:37:55 »
Is the manufacturing cost really that much higher to warrant it?

Made in Japan vs. Made in China.  You tell me.
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:45:18 »
Topre products and Cherry products aren't comparable. At least not in terms of what you get for your money. Either way you get a keyboard.

I look at it like: Japanese luxury imported product. Expensive? Yes. Feels better? Yes? Designed better? Yes.

And don't try to tell me I'm rationalizing an expense, it was a gift, so while I understand what the prices are it doesn't change how I feel about the keyboard when I'm typing on it (like right now). I'm probably going to end up buying another.

If the product didn't warrant the charge then it wouldn't sell to the extent it has. This isn't just a rich kid toy, there are thousands of Topre products in the hands of discerning enthusiasts, enough that I don't think they could get away with a sub-par product.

If you don't think it's worth the price don't buy one. But don't pretend it isn't "worth" the money if you haven't given one a shot.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline orlando

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 02:57:37 »

Gosh I must be insane then because I will be purchasing a second hhkb. I guess the reason I'm doing that is just so I can convince myself my initial $300 was worth it.  :rolleyes:

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:02:45 »

Gosh I must be insane then because I will be purchasing a second hhkb. I guess the reason I'm doing that is just so I can convince myself my initial $300 was worth it.  :rolleyes:

Double or nothing right? :D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:06:16 »
I liked Cherry boards from the DIY perspective. It was great building your own board, customizing it and tinker with them. But in the end, after building probably the most ideal setup, it just didn't compare to the feel of topre switches. I felt like I was just wasting my money trying to match the feel of topre switches.

There shouldn't be an argument about the price of Topre boards. To get an MX board comparable in feel and quality, you will spend 300 or more, easily (Korean customs).

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:25:49 »
I liked Cherry boards from the DIY perspective. It was great building your own board, customizing it and tinker with them. But in the end, after building probably the most ideal setup, it just didn't compare to the feel of topre switches. I felt like I was just wasting my money trying to match the feel of topre switches.

There shouldn't be an argument about the price of Topre boards. To get an MX board comparable in feel and quality, you will spend 300 or more, easily (Korean customs).

Wrong and here's why.

This is my point regarding subjectivity of keyboards. I don't personally feel either can be replicated or beaten in quality because they are two different switches and both have a different feel. I love the rawness that CherryMX gives me with each key-press. My biggest issue with the Topre at the end of the day is that it feels to much like a membrane keyboard WHICH is exactly what it is. Don't sell people on a product by comparing apples to oranges.

For example I just pulled out my old gaming board I used for 5 years the Logitech G15. It feels nearly exactly the same to the Topre key-press with a slightly bigger bump at the end of the press. The build quality is great in my opinion but I paid significantly less and feel it is better for gaming because it has that tiny extra bump at the end which gives the key-press more solidity IN MY OPINION.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:28:32 »

I know this was a troll post...but this point still stands. I love Cherry switches. I just love the feel of Topre more. And not by a small margin. It's large.

I'm not a hater. Cherry switches are great, because they constantly confirm why I so enjoy Topre switches.

Seriously, if Topre gets much more market share, Cherry needs to refine their offerings. A "Silenced Blue"? Maybe do something about the hard bottoming out. In fact, the ONLY reason Topre hasn't completely stomped Cherry's butt is because of the cost. I understand staying with Cherry switches if cost is a factor. I know what it's like to watch budget every month. Really. But cost aside, Cherry can't hold a candle to Topre. Call me a fanboy. I'm old enough to not give a rip. I'm telling you that in my 30 + years in a keyboard, I've found the Holy Grail keyboard switch. And it ain't Cherry.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:31:15 »
Yeah, do not understand these "worth it" type posts.  Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but that value varies by individual. I would personally rather own a cherry mx brown board than a topre. So for me, it is not worth it. If you love Topre super duper much, it might be worth it. No one can answer that question for you. Typing on my Quickfire TK or my Leopold, I just don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I think they both give me an amazing typing experience that is really not leaving anything to be desired.

I don't understand these statements that make it sound like you're wrong if you don't appreciate topre more than cherry. It is completely apples or oranges.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:34:23 »
IN MY OPINION.

This was the only truth to the statement.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:35:48 »

Wrong and here's why.

This is my point regarding subjectivity of keyboards. I don't personally feel either can be replicated or beaten in quality because they are two different switches and both have a different feel. I love the rawness that CherryMX gives me with each key-press. My biggest issue with the Topre at the end of the day is that it feels to much like a membrane keyboard WHICH is exactly what it is. Don't sell people on a product by comparing apples to oranges.

For example I just pulled out my old gaming board I used for 5 years the Logitech G15. It feels nearly exactly the same to the Topre key-press with a slightly bigger bump at the end of the press. The build quality is great in my opinion but I paid significantly less and feel it is better for gaming because it has that tiny extra bump at the end which gives the key-press more solidity IN MY OPINION.

As another guy that owns one of those old G15s that had to use it recently, I can firmly say "you know what they say about opinions."

I am so completely over this goddamned topic.  It's rare to see a thread like "Are Korean Customs worth it?" and it's even rarer to see someone that doesn't own one (because of choice, budget limitations or switch preference) say things like every time this stupid topic comes up.   Some people like topre and others like cherry, let them.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:38:08 »
Topre somewhat close to Logitech rubberdome? *facepalm*

yuuup ahuuh. kk.

Abacus: It isn't that if you don't appreciate Topre you have terrible taste, it is more that those arguing in favor of the Topre board as a product feel that it is definitely "worth" the price differential.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:40:33 »

yuuup ahuuh. kk.

Abacus: It isn't that if you don't appreciate Topre you have terrible taste, it is more that those arguing in favor of the Topre board as a product feel that it is definitely "worth" the price differential.

It is statements like this, " But cost aside, Cherry can't hold a candle to Topre."

That statement makes a judgment that Topre is objectively better.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:45:51 »

Meh... I just feel Topre is too "inbetween" mechanical and rubberdome. But like I said earlier I enjoy typing on Topre but it just doesn't suit me for gaming.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:57:33 »
You know what these threads remind me of?  Petty console wars.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 03:57:49 »

Meh... I just feel Topre is too "inbetween" mechanical and rubberdome. But like I said earlier I enjoy typing on Topre but it just doesn't suit me for gaming.

Some people can't get over it being somewhat similar to a normal rubber dome..that somehow that means it can't possibly be good...

Some people see beyond that...

But either way, you don't have to like it..If by you saying they feel too much like rubber dome means you don't like the way they feel..that's fair enough..but to me Topre feel very solid, very well made, smooth and you get this oneness you just don't get on a normal rubber dome keyboard...The G15 feels like junk in comparison...nowhere near the stability or feel...

But I do agree with you on one point...I don't like using them for gaming...Something doesn't feel right mashing them in gaming...but for typing they're really fantastic...they make my Cherry boards feel a bit cheap in comparison....and I love using my Cherry boards...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 04:09:08 »

Some people can't get over it being somewhat similar to a normal rubber dome..that somehow that means it can't possibly be good...

But either way, you don't have to like it..If by you saying they feel too much like rubber dome means you don't like the way they feel..that's fair enough..but to me Topre feel very solid, very well made, smooth and you get this oneness you just don't get on a normal rubber dome keyboard...The G15 feels like junk in comparison...nowhere near the stability or feel...

But I do agree with you on one point...I don't like using them for gaming...Something doesn't feel right mashing them in gaming...but for typing they're really fantastic...they make my Cherry boards feel a bit cheap in comparison....and I love using my Cherry boards...

Honda Civics are really close to Mercedes Benz, because they both use rubber tires.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 04:21:24 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 04:24:45 »

Well, when you're in a community that can typically agree that rubber dome keyboards are for the unkempt and unwashed masses and comments like "topre are just rubber dome" get thrown around, I can see how that can be taken as someone saying "topre aren't any good"

Bluntly, this ends up boiling down to someone trying to denigrate someone else's choice to justify that their own choice is the "best" one.  You see it essentially everywhere there's a major choice involved, consoles, cars, cell phones, computers and other expensive things that start with the letter "c".  Now that I think about it, you see it everywhere two people can make a different choice, even silly things like coke vs pepsi.

Honda Civics are really close to Mercedes Benz, because they both use rubber tires.

A more apt comparison would be Hyundai vs Lexus.  A typical OEM cherry board (Hyundai Sonata (good mid-size sedan)) isn't going to have quite the same feel(but still be better than it could be) as a RF or HHKB (Lexus LS series (better mid-size sedan)) , but spend similar money and that difference ends up getting less noticeable (As you've mentioned)(Equus vs GS)

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 04:45:08 »
I just don't want somebody who is new to Mechanicals to feel compelled to go out and buy a Topre right off the bat because they read "its better then Cherry" because its not. When I say its NOT I don't mean its worse because its NOT. It's just completely different.

I realise now it's pointless arguing but whatever have fun guys...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 05:16:04 »
This may be the insomnia and booze talking but why the hell are you guys making this into some sort of keyboard user's hierarchy with every glod damn topic like this. People are allowed to like different **** in life and not just silly Geekhack stuff like switches; give it a rest.

But I got to say...
You want to have an opinion about something?, TRY IT FIRST.
You want to suggest something for someone?, TRY IT FIRST.
Don't be hating on something you never tried children.

Glod damn.....next up let's start making topics like "are red heads worth it?" where more than half the people with an opinion never dated a red head chick in their entire life (they are crazy btw, just sayin).

I think I'll go pass out now..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 05:21:28 »
The build quality on redheads is crap. I got one and she had all these marks all over her. Plus I left her out in the sun for like 20mins and she came back looking like a lobster. They are fun to type on however, easy to bottom out though.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 05:25:17 »
The build quality on redheads is crap. I got one and she had all these marks all over her. Plus I left her out in the sun for like 20mins and she came back looking like a lobster. They are fun to type on however, easy to bottom out though.

dude I just busted out laughing in my bed, woke up my wife. bravo sir.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 06:40:16 »
Yeah, do not understand these "worth it" type posts.  Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but that value varies by individual.

Is Mad Catz STRIKE 7 worth it?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 07:09:53 »
It's rare to see a thread like "Are Korean Customs worth it?" and it's even rarer to see someone that doesn't own one (because of choice, budget limitations or switch preference) say things like every time this stupid topic comes up.   Some people like topre and others like cherry, let them.

Because it's obvious they aren't worth it. It's like asking whether luxurious SUVs/supersports are worth it, or not. Obviously they aren't, but some people still buy them—for fun, as collector items... or as penis extensions.

But I got to say...
You want to have an opinion about something?, TRY IT FIRST.
You want to suggest something for someone?, TRY IT FIRST.
Don't be hating on something you never tried children.

Let's talk about butt sex.

Offline joules

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 07:15:31 »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 09:09:54 »
Well, this thread seems to be spiraling downwards... And just wanted to add that topre keyboards have PBT dyesubbed keycaps, which normally cost about $100 or so.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 11:39:40 »
Lol. I once said this would happen again and agree about the stickies or polls.

This is not the last thread like this I would wager, unless the search engine gets a bit of an upgrade :))

There's definitely a ridiculous premium for EK boards... But they have good service and a 1 year warranty, not to mention a high quality board. It was worth it for me - if your budget leaves you crying yourself to sleep after buying a Cherry board though, don't come crying when you pay for three and get one keyboard, it's Just A Keyboard after all. I find them nice though, and always come back to mine.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 11:53:42 »
I like all the switch types and switch among them pretty regularly. If I had to pick one keyboard to use for the rest of my life it would probably be an HHKB.

This is exactly how I feel...except with a Realforce (I don't own an HHKB).  I love buckling springs because of their click and tactility....but they are too damn loud for 24/7 use and gaming on them isn't fun.  I love reds for gaming, typing not so much.

Topre is an excellent mix of tactility, softness, and silence. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 12:02:00 »
Some people love them and some don't, i think they are worth it and provide the best typing experience available, but for intense gaming action I prefer MX blacks or reds. I think most that would buy a Topre board would most likely have several keyboards anyway. But If you find you don't like them don't buy them or knock the them or the ones who do that's why there is so many different keyboard, switch type etc. available. 

Offline Saturn

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:02:16 »
I'm sure Topre keyboards are amazing, and I've always wanted one.

But sometimes you can tell that at least some of the Topre fans try really hard to justify the purchase to themselves, or they're just advocating way harder than they need to be.  When people talk about a Filco, they say it's a good solid keyboard with very high build quality and an excellent reputation.  But when Topre zealots talk about a Topre, they want you to know that it's not just a good keyboard, but THE BEST.  Way better than any Cherry keyboard out there.  It kind of reminds me of apple/mac fans.

What is it about Topre that inspires such religious devotion?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:05:38 »
What is it about Topre that inspires such religious devotion?

A higher quality product, same as Apple

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:21:11 »
You nailed it.

/sarcasm

Offline llovro

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:23:08 »
Topre's are love/hate keyboards. You either love it a lot or you hate it. Simple as that.

Offline orlando

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:29:11 »
Some drive a toyota others prefer a Lexus.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 13:29:48 »
I don't think anyone here has attempted to 'justify their purchase' other than personal preference. So stop trolling and stick with what keyboard works best for you.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:04:41 »
truth

I got it reiterate my rant earlier, if you haven't tried something how is it right for you guys to make an opinion on something. alot of those who prefer topre have cherry boards (mmb ^), so I would say their opinions are the most valid in this argument as long as we don't make this into some keyboard user's hierarchy with topre on top.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:19:43 »
I got it reiterate my rant earlier, if you haven't tried something how is it right for you guys to make an opinion on something.

How dare all those historians have opinions on WWII, if they haven't experienced it?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:28:18 »
I got it reiterate my rant earlier, if you haven't tried something how is it right for you guys to make an opinion on something.

How dare all those historians have opinions on WWII, if they haven't experienced it?

The war is documented by people who were there and evidence accumulated over the period of the war (mass graves, etc) and historians analyse evidence, documentation, etc.

The question in this topic is "are topres worth it" which means the responses should only come from those who have actually tried topre. is it that hard to understand?

Offline twilek

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:31:54 »
My wallet has gotten up from his somber and sad position, wiped the tears off of his eyes, and is fully prepared for yet another day of abuse. Now the question remains, what amount of force in grams should I get my hhkb in? Also, can you get them in different force amounts?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:34:41 »
HHKB = 45g

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:36:20 »
I dual wield these f**kers come at me.

In all seriousness though I don't even like Topre and I own two  :rolleyes:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:36:32 »

That's a ridiculous strawman, sir.  Historians are paid money to investigate, research, verify, research and compile written, recorded and word-of-mouth accounts of what happened.

People that haven't touched a topre that offer an opinion is more like a person criticizing food they've never ate based on price and the availability of cheaper food.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:40:31 »
Sure, some opinions are more valid than other opinions. Enjoy your elitist circlejerk.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:42:56 »
Sure, some opinions are more valid than other opinions. Enjoy your elitist circlejerk.

Do you own Topre?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:49:12 »
People that haven't touched a topre that offer an opinion is more like a person criticizing food they've never ate based on price and the availability of cheaper food.

Whether a keyboard is worth the price, or not can be based on subjective matters (feel, looks) as you're trying to suggest, but it can be also based on facts. As I've mentioned in my first comment in this thread, there's exactly one ergonomic design with Topre switches, and its availability is inferior to competition. This is a fact.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:50:58 »

Whether a keyboard is worth the price, or not can be based on subjective matters (feel, looks) as you're trying to suggest, but it can be also based on facts. As I've mentioned in my first comment in this thread, there's exactly one ergonomic design with Topre switches, and its availability is inferior to competition. This is a fact.

Complete bollocks.

Have you ever owned a Topre board?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:52:33 »
Looks like im late to the party.

I have had may cherry mx but just the price of two cherry mx lets you try topre.

I have yet to try topre but happy hacking layout and size is quite unique. Thats what I'd be getting if or when I get one.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:53:06 »
Damn this board and making me feel like I need to spend at least a couple of hundred bucks more in my quest for the perfect keyboard.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:54:20 »
OK well I think we can all agree some people like them and some do not or haven't tried them. Does that about sum it up?
I would be interested to see the production cost of an individual board however.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:55:23 »
OK well I think we can all agree some people like them and some do not or haven't tried them. Does that about sum it up?
I would be interested to see the production cost of an individual board however.

Probably not much more than the cost of making an MX board.

Offline orlando

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:55:55 »
All jokes aside we are all different and enjoy different products. What might be worth it for you might not be worth it for me and vice versa.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:56:39 »

Do you own Topre?

I have used an HHKB, and wasn't impressed. It was certainly a solid keyboard, and the switches felt nice to me, but I wouldn't pay $300 for this kind of incremental improvements. If they sold the μTron for $300, it'd be different story.

Offline twilek

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:59:08 »
So hhkb's are 45 grams? what is the best topre gram amount for someone like me who likes his keyboard to be so hard that a fricken  hammer can't press it? Also, which is better hhkb or realforce?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:59:35 »

Do you own Topre?

I have used an HHKB, and wasn't impressed. It was certainly a solid keyboard, and the switches felt nice to me, but I wouldn't pay $300 for this kind of incremental improvements. If they sold the μTron for $300, it'd be different story.

How long did you use it for?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:08:13 »
Good god this has gotten ridiculous. I'm out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:08:14 »

Do you own Topre?

Here we go again. It's irrelevant. My wrists hurt on any non-split/staggered layout. If yours don't, good for you.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:10:26 »

Do you own Topre?

Here we go again. It's irrelevant. My wrists hurt on any non-split/staggered layout. If yours don't, good for you.

You are posting complete bull****, you cannot comment on Topre boards if you only tried one for a few minutes and then decided it was **** because you have issues with standard shape boards.

Offline twilek

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:18:14 »
Good god this has gotten ridiculous. I'm out.
yep, I concur, when I made this thread I asked for opinions, not a GOD D A M N holy war!!!!!!
/thread

Offline twilek

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:25:20 »
So without another nerd flame war (the worst kind of flame war) I would like an answer to these questions
-What is the best topre key weight for someone with heavy hands
-What does this weight sound like
-Where can I acquire such an object
-How much is it
-Will there ever be peace between the topre fans and the cherry fans?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:27:49 »
I would love a 55g HHKB but that isn't an option without buying a 55g RF board to bastardise.

I would go for a 55g RF TKL board or a HHKB.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:29:37 »
55g
'Thock'
Classifieds/eBay/EliteKeyboards
Depends where you purchase from
No
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:35:48 by Dgsbllx »

Offline twilek

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:38:28 »
Excellent, now we come to the question on whether there can be peace between the topre nerds and the cherry nerds. If there can't, then I'm buying a topre and a cherry, going into a room, tatooing a blue arrow on my head and I shall proclaim myself the avatar of keyboards, here to bring peace between the two worlds. Or, you know, the admins could just let ripster back on who does the same thing basically every day.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:40:11 »
Both have their place, I have a Filco with browns at home for my Scarface caps and a HHKB at work :D

Offline twilek

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:44:26 »
So there can be peace, alleijuah! Now what about the admins letting ripster back?
edit: is his name like voldemort or something, why does no one talk about him

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:48:54 »
Does hhkb have varied weight?  Varied wheight seems like itd be nice to try.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:50:27 »
HHKB is 45g uniform afaik

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:54:01 »
Did you really need to start another thread for this? All the answers are littered throughout the last thread.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:55:26 »
Ripster does not want to be back or be back to contribute.  He only comes back to troll he hates geekhack. When you know that, if you want to talk to him, you will have to go to reddit. He seems qu ite busy with that. He mods like 4000 users. I havent seen him contribute to keyboard science for a while except for starting trends like shoes with keyboards. He seems to be less about the keyboards now and more about the socializing and trolling.
SmallFry! <3

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:16:17 »
Did you really need to start another thread for this? All the answers are littered throughout the last thread.

I'm not sure how "flame wars" (dramatic much?) equates to the passionate Topre discussion... Google is your friend for a lot of these questions.

So without another nerd flame war (the worst kind of flame war) I would like an answer to these questions
-What is the best topre key weight for someone with heavy hands
-What does this weight sound like
-Where can I acquire such an object
-How much is it
-Will there ever be peace between the topre fans and the cherry fans?

1. Probably the heaviest topre weight... 55g.
2. see Youtube.com or the onomatopoeia "thock"
3. Now you're just being redundant, or lazy.
3.5 teh Internets
4. LOL
5. not if the discussion revolves around "price vs "value""
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:19:17 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline twilek

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:46:05 »
ah, sorry bout the double post, but now I just want to know why the heck ripster left keyboards, all of that smugness must of caught up to him ay?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:51:36 »
This is probably the most obvious troll I have seen yet.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 17:06:31 »
hey brocaps do you ever made chocolate brocaps ?
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 17:07:14 »

Offline twilek

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:05:21 »
I am no troll, although my troll skills may be so epic that even when I'm not trying I'm unconsiously trolling everyone :)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:08:27 »
If you're on the fence about trying one, just buy it and try it. If you don't love it sell it in the classified section for a 10-20 dollar loss. Not a big deal.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:10:15 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better rubber domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:12:24 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Amarok

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:11:34 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better plastic domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?

Blue was by far my favorite as well. I got the 45g 87U because I was told the weight of this board is closest to Blues. I really really like it, but of course now I'm itching to give the 55g a try as well...
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:14:44 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better plastic domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?

Blue was by far my favorite as well. I got the 45g 87U because I was told the weight of this board is closest to Blues. I really really like it, but of course now I'm itching to give the 55g a try as well...
It's very tough! I know it's kind of silly looking at it this way, but I really love that thock, thock, thock sound a lot.  From the videos I have watched it seems like it's dampened a little bit on 45g and more noticeable on 55g.  I obviously would choose the one that would offer me the most comfortable typing/gaming experience however.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:00:42 »
Whoa hey, I thought this was the last thread actually.  OP, what more do you need to know?  If this one gets even a little out of hand I'ma slap it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:19:41 »
Maher shalal
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Are topres worth it
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 21:56:07 »
Swift to the plunder, son.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Are topres worth it
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:52:04 »
I'm going to post that whenever you wield your mod hammer, or feel you might need to. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:50:14 »
I'm going to post that whenever you wield your mod hammer, or feel you might need to. :P

Looks like someone stealth-combined the threads while I was making this.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:44:27 by hashbaz »

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 04:08:49 »
from many posts on this forum, topre looked like a woman to me. initial tactile bump, effortless travel, soft bottoming out.

reality was different.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 06:12:21 »
Played games with a RF104 variable for a whole week. Really awesome experience with the exception of 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' due to the 30g key weight. I might have a go again at gaming with a Topre board once I can afford a 45/55g board.

If you want to buy Topre, buy one. They have pretty good resale value since they're not exactly sold in every computer shop. Topres are totally worth it if you ending up using one as your daily driver.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:53:06 »
Played games with a RF104 variable for a whole week. Really awesome experience with the exception of 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' due to the 30g key weight. I might have a go again at gaming with a Topre board once I can afford a 45/55g board.

If you want to buy Topre, buy one. They have pretty good resale value since they're not exactly sold in every computer shop. Topres are totally worth it if you ending up using one as your daily driver.
Thanks for the feedback,  I'm kind of leaning towards the 55g board.  I'm a little nervous since it would be the first TKL board i'd be using and I use my computer more for typing/e-mail than I do gaming.  I mostly only play WoW casually and Counter-Strike.  I do like blue switches as far as cherry mx switches go, but I do tend to bottom out frequently and I feel the  87u 55g might have a softer landing than the 104ub.  I don't necessarily do marathon typing sessions on my computer, but I can sometimes be on for 2-3 hours, do 55g switches tend to make fingers feel fatigued pretty quickly?  I'm sorry for all the questions, it's my first major keyboard purchase and I want to make sure I pick the one best suited for me.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:10:10 »
I went from blues to clears/55g topre for my daily drivers and I've experienced no real finger fatigue.  Keep in mind what everyone's been saying about resale value, too.  I bought a 45g a few months ago first and turned it for what I paid, no problem.

Offline TDub

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:33:16 »
I went from blues to clears/55g topre for my daily drivers and I've experienced no real finger fatigue.  Keep in mind what everyone's been saying about resale value, too.  I bought a 45g a few months ago first and turned it for what I paid, no problem.

Does that mean that the 55g topre is comparable in wieght to cherry clears? I am currently using lubed clears for typing (feel so great) and lubed vintage blacks for gaming. I tried all the lighter keys (blues, reds, browns, ergo clears) but I prefer keys that are heavier.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:53:41 »
maybe ergo clears (depending on the switch), I think stock clears actuate much higher than 55cN

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:40:20 »
After much deliberation, I went from being pretty much sold on the 55g this morning to purchasing the 104ub with variable force.  I was nervous about finding the 55g a little too heavy.  From reading lots and lots of old posts about topre boards, I saw a majority of the posters really liking the 45g force.  I figure if I don't like it I could always sell it and get the 55g or even a HHKB! Does the 45g still thock? I really like that noise :D

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:46:07 »
After much deliberation, I went from being pretty much sold on the 55g this morning to purchasing the 104ub with variable force.  I was nervous about finding the 55g a little too heavy.  From reading lots and lots of old posts about topre boards, I saw a majority of the posters really liking the 45g force.  I figure if I don't like it I could always sell it and get the 55g or even a HHKB! Does the 45g still thock? I really like that noise :D

You can thock the s**t out of 45g  :))

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 20:16:53 »
It doesn't quite thock as much as the 55g, but then again the HHKB has way more thock than the 55g RF anyways (due to case resonance and the lack of a plate).

You'll be happy with it, for sure.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 03:51:42 »
I'm increasingly using my RF over filco brown. I don't know why. I remember at first I was .... meh but it has really grown on me.

Are topre keyboards worth it! Yes 100% just don't expect to love it within a day. I don't really fancy them for rpg/fps games... but maybe that's just because I have the variable.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline iri

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 04:46:38 »
i actually liked my realforce at the end of the day one. next day my fingers started to hurt while typing on it.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury