Author Topic: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry Blue's Now Available!  (Read 31198 times)

Offline chozar

Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry Blue's Now Available!
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 09:31:53 »
I prefer blank keys because I usually remap a lot of them.  No fun when the key doesn't do what it says it should, and not every key is physically interchangeable.

Plus it looks nice and clean.

As to typing benefits, I wouldn't expect any.  There are better ways to learn.

Offline cnt

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 11:00:30 »
Quote from: webwit;101113
There is an advantage, which is that knowing your board without the labels makes you a better typist. It is hard to explain.  But let me ask you this: why aren't there note labels on piano keys? Would you have better piano players if they had labels, and they would not be able to play them without them? I think their control would not be as good. Feel the board, Luke..Be the board! There is no looking.

If someone came over night into my house and engraved Binary lettering, Klingon, Japanese or Sankrist on my keyboard it would've probably taken me quite some time to notice it since it won't affect my typing whatsoever. I have gained the required muscle memory to type in the languages I can communicate in, so I can and will utilize a keyboard for its purpose with no regard whatsoever to the lettering on the keyboard. A blank keyboard maybe preferable for someone to obtain the aforementioned muscle memory, but for someone who has already achieved it, it serves nothing but an aesthetic preference.

You won't have better piano players if you mark the keys with their notes, but if you sit down an already trained pianist in front of a piano with funky misplaced notes he will have absolutely no trouble playing it just as well as a "blank" piano..

Quote from: ripster;101119
The only OTHER one I can think of is that a lot of people get PO'd that the lettering eventually rubs off or discolors on modern keys (anything that isn't dual shot or dye impregnated).  You avoid THAT problem but still end up getting shiny keys eventually.

And the Piano analogy is OK but not perfect.  You've got a linear progression of notes, black keys to "signal" octave boundaries.  

Maybe a cello would be a better analogy.

Neither are the Piano or Cello analogies work since both are musical instruments, you don't press random keys but go up and down a musical ladder. Even my 2 year old cousin knows that if the key to the left of the one she's currently punching at makes a lower sound, then the key further to the left will make an even lower sound. Not only do you get an audio feedback, but its "relativity" remains constant. While you do, usually*, get a visual feedback from your keyboard whether you're looking at it or not (since the letters magically appear on your screen, if they're not, your keyboard isn't fulfilling its function), there is absolutely no constant, relative, relation between your input and the feedback that you're receiving.

*Quite often at work I need to feed data (be it by numbers or letters) into the computer from a sheet of paper, a closed network computer's monitor, or anything else "outside" the system I'm working on. I can rely on my muscle memory to touch-type entire pages/spread sheets without ever needing to verify mi-way that I'm typing the right data into the right place. This is more of an efficiency choice than a necessity, and I do admit that I'm confident enough to state that the random interchangings of two letters have more to do with the nature of the keyboards I'm working with (robber dome FTW), than with my typing.

Anyhow, I do admit that the aesthetics of a blank keyboard serve as quite a nice "plus", be it the simple awesomeness of a blank keyboard or the lack of need to worry about keys robbing off, but I do have trouble justifying the purchase of a blank keyboard that will make it very difficult on people who don't touch-type to use my computer. I will be getting my first mechanical keyboard soon, an FKBN104M/EB (which I've queried about some 3 months ago, heh), so I just might justify to myself getting a blank keyboard as a smaller more awesome brother. But I will never fool myself into thinking that it has something to do with anything but aesthetics.
Filco FKBN104M/EB
Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A

Offline bloodien0se

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 22:10:56 »
Just chiming in to say I've been typing on nothing but my otaku since I got it last week. It's my first foray into the world of mechanical keyboards except the occasional play with model M's (which I loved, but were far too large for my setup and my current motherboard would require a usb adapter or the mod anyway).

It's fantastic, and everyone who has tried it has loved it as well.  I chose it over the others because of the support it had here and its awesome looks. Thanks for making me spend the ton of money to get it guys.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 08:24:27 »
Quote from: ripster;102493
Yeah, I think it's a great keyboard.   Love dem Cherry  Blues.....

And don't worry about the money.  It'll be clicking away long after your graphics card (which you probably paid more for) is obsolete.

I'm always mentioning this when I convince people to spend money on a mechanical keyboard

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 09:40:11 »

And don't worry about the money.  It'll be clicking away long after your graphics card (which you probably paid more for) is obsolete.

That is one of the reasons why I will pay what I pay for keyboards. The Filco boards are worth every penny.

Oh and it's not just the video card. How many times have you replaced your whole system? When I do upgrades (about every 2 years) I replace everything but the keyboard and monitor. Monitors tend to last me longer than a single system but I do upgrade them on occasion. Keyboards on the other hand last a very long time.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdh

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 10:53:56 »

I cringed a little before admitting to my girlfriend what I'd paid for the new Topre board I was showing her, but she made a good point:  People who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new bed always use the justification, "I expect to spend 8 hours a day on it."  For a lot of us, keyboards fit the same description.

Maybe I shouldn't have worried; she spends her working days in AutoCAD and Photoshop, and has had RSI-related wrist problems in the past.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 10:54:21 »
Quote from: rdjack21;102518
Keyboards on the other hand last a very long time.

Yep. My oldest ones are 20 years old and working fine. Now what other kind of 1989 vintage hardware can still claim being useful today?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline sprintf32768

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 00:21:00 »
That printer really takes me back, ripster.  That was our office printer back in the 1990's and I wish we'd never given it up.  I still reflexively buy HP printers, expecting them to rock the house, and it's been a rocky cliff of disappointment.  But that 4L.  Wow.  It was dreamy.  

One button.

Offline Hyperion

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 06:22:38 »
Having a blank keyboard forces you to memorise the keys. Most people who buy 200 dollar keyboards are probably touch typists, but most of them won't know where the = and > and / and # and - keys off by heart. They will take a few seconds to find them, but after a while you will know where every single key is off by heart. It also allows remapping of the keys without any confusion.

Offline fuzzybyte

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 17 July 2009, 06:54:20 »
bought the blank version. Couldn't keep waiting for the normal version to stock up again so I settled with this.

Oh, well. At least, I can't "cheat" anymore.

Offline Sakom

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 17 July 2009, 07:25:58 »
After much research here for my needs. I now have the blank version coming in the mail. I'm really looking forward to a nice keyboard after my Logitech g11 died on me.
-FKBN87MC/NPEK - FKB104M/EB

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 17 July 2009, 09:02:22 »
Quote from: Sakom;103030
After much research here for my needs. I now have the blank version coming in the mail. I'm really looking forward to a nice keyboard after my Logitech g11 died on me.

Welcome to our little corner of the internets. =]

The Filco is a great keyboard. I've used a lot of the most common mechanical boards, and the Filco is definitely one of the best ones around. You get real great value for your money.