Author Topic: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry Blue's Now Available!  (Read 31200 times)

Offline Manyak

Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry Blue's Now Available!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 16:06:24 »
Quote from: IBI;96395
LCDs may be inferior in input lag, ghosting and refresh rate, but you try finding a new widescreen CRT for sale.

As for the resolution thing that's just because most LCDs come with poor quality scalers, you can get big improvements if you set your monitor to 1:1 and get the graphics card to scale instead.

Does it have to be new? You can get perfectly good used 24" WS CRTs for $85 a pop. And they do 2304x1440 @ 85Hz.

I usually find a 4:3 CRT still more enjoyable to play on than even a 2ms LCD by the way. And yeah it's a big improvement when done by the GPU, no doubt there, but it will always be blurry unless it's native res is an even multiple of the res you're running at (Native res = 1920x1200, chosen res = 960x600).
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline IBI

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 17:21:54 »
Quote from: Manyak;96540
Does it have to be new? You can get perfectly good used 24" WS CRTs for $85 a pop. And they do 2304x1440 @ 85Hz.

Hah, I'll believe that when I see it. Care to point out of a reputable UK company selling such screens for $85, or even £85?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline OverSky

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 00:09:32 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 01:40:08 by OverSky »

Offline lam47

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 03:54:12 »
Hey. Would someone be able to order a blank blue for me and send it over to the ol UK.
I can paypal the moneys :)
Shipping should be around $30 priority from other boards I have had sent in from the states.
If anyone would be kind enough to do this there is a set of Filco purple keys in it for the kind person :)
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 05:55:45 »
Quote from: lam47;96659
Hey. Would someone be able to order a blank blue for me and send it over to the ol UK.
I can paypal the moneys :)
Shipping should be around $30 priority from other boards I have had sent in from the states.
If anyone would be kind enough to do this there is a set of Filco purple keys in it for the kind person :)

Why don't you get it from EliteKeyboards? Majestouch is very willing to ship them over to Europe aswell! I got my Filcos from EliteKeyboards and the shipping was around $40 or something. They arrived here in Germany within 2 days!

Offline lam47

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 06:06:40 »
Because of the 15% + £14 import duty :(
So shipping is $45 + $115 for the board.
That is about £100
looking at £30 fees. Its just a bit too much if you ask me.
And that is if they convert the value first. The last 3 items I was charged on they charged 15% of the US value as if it was UK pounds.
They do this a lot and it is simply stealing.
I have had boards from members here and the shipping was $30 for priority and so long as the invoice is not in the box you can mark the value at whatever you want. If it were marked as a used keyboard then nobody can argue the value.
Over here they are currently stopping everything and charging fees on it.
If someone were kind enough to buy one for me (with my money of course) then they would be the original owner legally.
So the stated value on the customs slip would be legally again for a second hand item. What someone deems the value of a used item is entirely up to them. Its the only way I will be able to get one without being rapped by our government.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 06:13:44 by lam47 »
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 07:41:17 »
Quote from: sixty;96667
Why don't you get it from EliteKeyboards? Majestouch is very willing to ship them over to Europe aswell! I got my Filcos from EliteKeyboards and the shipping was around $40 or something. They arrived here in Germany within 2 days!

Ordered a Filco from EliteKeyboards.com today, paid via PayPal and I wasn't charged of any shipping yet, just the keyboard (??)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:10:57 »
You need to email him if you want it shipped overseas.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:26:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;96681
You need to email him if you want it shipped overseas.

It didn't say that in the website. Also, I was able to select shipping to my country when the order was made. Furthermore, I didn't get any ID for my order, only the PayPal transaction ID. I'm getting a little worried.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:34:53 »
Well, when I saw that I couldn't enter in shipping charges I decided to send an email, and he sent me an invoice for paypal with shipping charges included. I'd suggest you send one right away, he's a helpful guy and should be able to sort your problem out.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:37:45 »
I did send an email like a hour ago.. to support aet elitekeyboardsdotcom. Should I use another email address?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:40:31 »
I used Sales@... It might be a while before he gets back to you with the differences in timezone and all that, but he's always responded to all my mails.

Offline OverSky

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:50:44 »
Quote from: jkkhop;96693
I did send an email like a hour ago.. to support aet elitekeyboardsdotcom. Should I use another email address?

Dude an hour is not a long time, give it a full day, he's not going to steal your money...

If anyone wants to see a HD video of this keyboard check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XakIyvextO8

Also, I see in that video that it is slanted towards the user.. is this how the keyboard sits always or does it have extendable legs?

If someone could let me know that as well as the distance from the table to the front edge of the keyboard that would be super helpful thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:52:56 by OverSky »

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:55:27 »
Quote from: ch_123;96696
I used Sales@... It might be a while before he gets back to you with the differences in timezone and all that, but he's always responded to all my mails.

Yeah like I said in another thread on a similar topic, because of the time zone difference, he emailed you a couple of years ago and you never responded to his email.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:59:03 »
Keep in mind, this is majestouch's side business. The guy does have other things going on in his life.  For him to provide the level of service he does is absolutely phenomenal.

Offline lam47

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 09:30:26 »
Can anyone help me get one from him?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 09:39:19 »
Quote from: lam47;96704
Can anyone help me get one from him?

PMed.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 10:32:18 »
My S1283

KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 10:51:47 »
Quote from: itlnstln;96700
Keep in mind, this is majestouch's side business. The guy does have other things going on in his life.  For him to provide the level of service he does is absolutely phenomenal.

I'm grateful that somebody does the work so that Europeans have access to these keyboards too, but it shouldn't the customer's job to know the details of the trade, side business or not. Web shops normally have very detailed information on everything.

BUT: just noticed it's only 9AM PST right now, no wonder he's not answering..

Offline lam47

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 10:53:38 »
I found his international rate to be a bit high.
He does get back to me quick on the email though.

I think the cooler is in the wrong thread???
Still sort out your cable management!
What a mess.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 11:04:13 »
Quote from: ripster;96717
Hah, that's one cable tie trick I hadn't seen before.

Whenever I put one of those humongous Skyscraper heatsinks on I'm always afraid I'm gonna hear this cracking sound as the motherboard tears apart.

hahaha yea my motherboard seems to be warping a little bit on the top, but who cares if it does the job =P I ran out of ways trying to put this thing on so I just used 8 zipties and just qip it up!
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 15:05:17 »
Got a reply from elitekeyboards.com. The shipping will be $48, which is a bit salty.. but it's not like I've got a choice.

Too bad I need to wait for a couple of days to get my money businesses sorted before I can pay for the shipping :/

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 15:49:05 »
I had to pay $52, and I'm sitting on the part of Europe closest to the US! (except for Greenland, although I can't imagine there would be too many keyboard afficienados there...)

EDIT: Wait, it's probably because I ordered one of their purdy leather wrist-rests as well as the keyboard.

Offline talis

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:00:28 »
Quote from: jkkhop;96840
Got a reply from elitekeyboards.com. The shipping will be $48, which is a bit salty.. but it's not like I've got a choice.

Thats not that bad, it costs $30 to ship most keyboard sized packages to Canada (and we're right next door).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:05:10 »
Quote from: jkkhop;96840

Too bad I need to wait for a couple of days to get my money businesses sorted before I can pay for the shipping :/

Do you have VAT in your country?  If so, you need to take that into account, too.

Offline talis

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:20:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;96855
Do you have VAT in your country?  If so, you need to take that into account, too.

I'm not sure how Fedex handles brokerage, but that's something to take into account as well.

UPS charges a flat $30CDN brokerage + whatever duty on top of it (unless you have your own brokerage agent).  USPS has never charged either duty or brokerage on a shipment, and I don't recall ever being charged brokerage by Purolator either.

Just be prepared that you may have to pay Shipping + Duty + Brokerage.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:28:13 »
I've had a few things shipped over by USPS, one or two got me taxed, most havent. Remains to be seen whether they will screw me over or not...

Offline IBI

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:08:53 »
Quote from: ch_123;96851
I had to pay $52, and I'm sitting on the part of Europe closest to the US! (except for Greenland, although I can't imagine there would be too many keyboard afficienados there...)

You've got an r instead of a c in your location field then.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 16:36:04 by IBI »
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline talis

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:48:04 »
Quote from: talis;96861
I'm not sure how Fedex handles brokerage, but that's something to take into account as well.

UPS charges a flat $30CDN brokerage + whatever duty on top of it (unless you have your own brokerage agent).  USPS has never charged either duty or brokerage on a shipment, and I don't recall ever being charged brokerage by Purolator either.

Just be prepared that you may have to pay Shipping + Duty + Brokerage.

Looks like there's no brokerage or duty when it comes FedEx (at least my Filco just showed up with no issues).

The morale of this story, please please please don't ship UPS internationally.  The worst I've ever had with them was being charged $30 in brokerage for Free samples from Texas Instruments.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:56:28 by talis »

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 12:12:36 »
I have also been reamed by UPS whereas FedEX stuff shows up quickly and with no price gouging.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 15:38:56 »
Even if I've already paid for the shipping, is it possible that they charge me when the package is delivered? If so, I'll need cash tomorrow, because my Filco is at my country's customs at the moment :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 16:04:39 »
Mine "arrived" in Ireland on Friday. It remains to be seen whether it is going to arrive at my house tomorrow, or into the loving hands of a custom's officer...

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 22:33:55 »
Quote from: ripster;98252
I just ran the numbers for a Das from Getdigital.de assuming a UK customer.
113 Euro or $157.  The tax thing was confusing but I assume the VAT is part of that.

Yes, mine was €112 all in (saved €1 by using PayPal)

Offline ssb

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 02:39:58 »
113 Euro or $157.  The tax thing was confusing but I assume the VAT is part of that.

So does  this sound right - the Filco is a tad more expensive than the Das when you add shipping??  About $115 plus $50 shipping/VAT?? If it sounds right I'll add it to the Das vs Filco comparison in the reviews section.

I depends on the customs expenses; in Greece for example, we have to pay import tariff plus 19% VAT, that sums up $50-$70 for a Filco board. Considering shipping cost and import expenses, a European could get two - three Cherry G80's or a G80 and a Das III (from getdigital) paying the same or less. :smile:
BTW the "gift" trick doesn't fool customs officers. They have the right to subjectively evaluate product cost if the price is too low or a "gift". They also have internet access and use the web to check product prices.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2009, 02:50:19 by ssb »
Please excuse my poor English.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 04:21:07 »
Quote from: webwit;98188
Yes. They charge me for VAT+customs for a lot of boards, much more than before the economic crisis. Even labelling as "gift" doesn't always cut it anymore. Funny thing is USPS wants it cash now here, but does not carry change because of security. Depends on your country how much they let through. If there's a customs check on USPS here, it takes three (!) more weeks now. FedEx and UPS are much faster (one or two days in customs). They don't ask cash and just bill you.

What, three weeks!?

According to USPS Track & Confirm: "Your item is being processed by customs in FINLAND." I'm getting worried :o

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 04:53:31 »
The proverbial eagle has landed! And the customs fell for the "gift" declaration (huge thanks for this majestouch). I'm really loving this new board, pics and reviews later!

Offline IBI

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:05:05 »

I think that'll all you need to pay yes, I don't think there are any additional charges except what the postal company may charge for putting it through customs. €113 is £95.

So does  this sound right - the Filco is a tad more expensive than the Das when you add shipping??  About $115 plus $50 shipping/VAT?? If it sounds right I'll add it to the Das vs Filco comparison in the reviews section.

I've not ordered one myself, but I'd assume it's 115USD * customs charges (18.5% in the UK I think) + 50USD delivery. So that's $186/€134/£113 - about 20% more.

A G80-3000 is £55-60.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:08:40 by IBI »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:17:26 »
Because the gift trick worked, I got my tenkeyless, the wrist-rest and shipping to Ireland for about 140-150 euros. So if I were to have opted out of getting the wrist rest, I would have got it for about 110-120. By comparison, a Das from Germany to Ireland is 111 euros shipped the last time I checked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:20:10 by ch_123 »

Offline talis

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:20:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;98290
The proverbial eagle has landed! And the customs fell for the "gift" declaration (huge thanks for this majestouch). I'm really loving this new board, pics and reviews later!

It was a gift exchange.  You gave him a gift of money, he gave you a gift of a keyboard =P

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:47:01 »
Quote from: webwit;98366
Yes, but have you tried to whisper "i-rocks" in her ear? I mean, people came together and consciously conspired on that name. Teh evil..
The Dutch in Indonesia is no fun stuff. My grandfather died there.

The first time I read "i-Rocks," I thought it was some kind of toy you get at adult video store.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 14:57:50 »
I bet they don't even offer that good feeling of oneness with cup rubber...

I'm sure "Unicomp" sounds just as ridiculous to them :P

Offline lam47

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 15:02:35 »
In the UK VAT is 15% + a customs fee of £14.
Marking the item as a gift makes no difference at all unless the value is under £30 (about I forget)
Even if you mark the item under £30 and as a gift customs can still open the the parcel and if they think it is worth more than the stated value (which is up to them to work out and they will mark it up if they have taken the time to open it regardless) can charge you the 15% on top.
Also every parcel I have had from the USA they have treated the USD value as if it was UKP thus making a tidy profit depending on the exchange rate. This surely is fraud.
I tried to complain about it once and got nowhere.

I now will not buy from overseas unless everything is done to stop them from making money out of items that can not be bought in our country.
I think I hate customs even more than royal mail. Despite royal mail costing me more.

Im done now.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 16:06:51 »
Actually what happens in the UK is:

Customs take the actual price or judged value, whichever is higher;
Add to this the postage and insurance paid;
Charge duty on ALL the above (around 5%);
Charge VAT on ALL the above (15%);
Whoever delivers the parcel charges their own fee for collecting the duty.

Note that we pay VAT plus duty on postage and insurance. Duty and VAT are charged consecutively, so we pay VAT on the duty. Adds up nicely for them.

The good news is we shouldn't pay duty or VAT on goods from the EU.

I'm not sure the gift idea is effective. If it's over £30 you pay duty and tax anyway. Whether they make these charges seems pretty random. I'm pretty sure they just look at the parcel, and the more professionally packaged it is, the more likely they are to charge you.

Edit> And Iam47 is right, they read the $ price and treat it like £.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2009, 16:14:27 by Rajagra »

Offline lam47

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 16:46:21 »
Quote from: Rajagra;98387
Actually what happens in the UK is:

Customs take the actual price or judged value, whichever is higher;
Add to this the postage and insurance paid;
Charge duty on ALL the above (around 5%);
Charge VAT on ALL the above (15%);
Whoever delivers the parcel charges their own fee for collecting the duty.

Note that we pay VAT plus duty on postage and insurance. Duty and VAT are charged consecutively, so we pay VAT on the duty. Adds up nicely for them.

The good news is we shouldn't pay duty or VAT on goods from the EU.

I'm not sure the gift idea is effective. If it's over £30 you pay duty and tax anyway. Whether they make these charges seems pretty random. I'm pretty sure they just look at the parcel, and the more professionally packaged it is, the more likely they are to charge you.

Edit> And Iam47 is right, they read the $ price and treat it like £.

I see.
So Parcel force have a £14 fee? I thought It had been different actually. I think I had a TNT one that was cheaper than that.
I think you have to pay VAT on any item whatever the value if it is not marked as a gift. Even if the judged value is under £30. That is my understanding from the terms and conditions any way.

You should not have to pay a penny on items shipped within the EU no.

Thanks for putting it concisely! I get carried away with my raging aggression some times.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 17:13:49 »
Quote from: lam47;98404
So Parcel force have a £14 fee? I thought It had been different actually. I think I had a TNT one that was cheaper than that.

I think Parcel Force are among the cheaper ones. Whoever delivers can charge what they like, I think, it's for the "service" of taking the payment from you and forwarding it to Customs.
(Technically, I suppose they pay Customs first then collect from you.)

Offline lam47

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 17:18:27 »
Yes thats right.
TNT were given the wrong value by Customs (Worked out from the US value)
I refused to pay the wrong amount and only paid the correct amount worked out from the UK value instead. It seemed kind of unfair to TNT but they did not complain.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 05:05:32 »
After 2 days, my Filco is still at the customs.. sucks hard!

Offline lam47

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 05:38:02 »
They can hold it for up to 30 with no explanation and then charge you for it :)
My GPU is still on the plane apparently. After 6 days of flying.

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 06:09:14 »
Funny, right after I wrote that reply, I went to check the mail box which contained a nice paper saying my Filco had arrived :)

Offline lal

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 07:16:01 »
I can perfectly understand you, lammy.  But look, we're being *very* decadent already.  We buy ridiculously expensive keyboards and pay international shipping costs for which alone we could get TEN el cheapo standard boards.  We're throwing money out of the window for our hobby.  What's that 20% added by customs in this light?  Nothing.  At least that's what I'm telling myself when thinking about the additional costs while ordering keyboards from overseas.  It helps :)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010