Author Topic: Leopold FC660C Keycaps  (Read 50135 times)

Offline muad

Re: Leopold FC660C Keycaps
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:13:02 »
Wow!  Yet another overwhelmingly positive review of the FC660C.
I'm almost regretting getting this HHKB now.  Almost.  I got this just before the FC660C was available, plus this is the white HHKB and white FC660C is not yet available.  So for now I am happy with my HHKB.

I would love to have an HHKB, I think it is the best looking keyboard keyboard ever made and those keycaps...  Since the price for the hhkb was so close to the fc660c I seriously considered getting it but I knew from comparing my poker II and fc660m that the layout wouldn't work for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 15:01:22 by muad »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 19:08:20 »
Well, after getting countless numbers of recommendations to try the HHKB Pro 2, I finally placed the order, and it arrived today. For anyone who might be interested, I have posted a review on GH:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.msg1049426#msg1049426

All things considered, I like the HHKB Pro 2 better than my Leopold FC660C. I did not expect this to be the case; I was pleasantly surprised. Adaptation to the layout and lack of arrow keys was amazingly fast. Moreover, one of the bonuses is that the stock keycaps are stellar, and replacement sets are available in printed or non-printed white/light gray or dark gray.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 00:40:57 »
Well, after getting countless numbers of recommendations to try the HHKB Pro 2, I finally placed the order, and it arrived today. For anyone who might be interested, I have posted a review on GH:

All things considered, I like the HHKB Pro 2 better than my Leopold FC660C. I did not expect this to be the case; I was pleasantly surprised. Adaptation to the layout and lack of arrow keys was amazingly fast. Moreover, one of the bonuses is that the stock keycaps are stellar, and replacement sets are available in printed or non-printed white/light gray or dark gray.

Most people seem to miss the arrow keys - I know I do.  But at least I am using a Mac and can use Ctrl key combinations, which don't work the same under Windows.

I had real trouble using the HHKB on Windows.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 01:01:43 »
HHKB 2 has been out since March 2006.  Isn't it time for a HHKB 3?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:08:56 »

How can you improve on perfection?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 10:14:05 »

Giving a 55g option? And making the Control to Capslock...or better yet...make it backspace.

Great review! I for one can adjust to the layout for the HHKB considering I was able to navigate with ease on a Poker X.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 16:36:13 »

Giving a 55g option? And making the Control to Capslock...or better yet...make it backspace.

Great review! I for one can adjust to the layout for the HHKB considering I was able to navigate with ease on a Poker X.

Or make it programmable like the Poker II. I would have bought an HHKB if there was a way to turn on a program layer and have the arrow keys be something else.
87u || Poker 2

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:35:51 »

Or make it programmable like the Poker II. I would have bought an HHKB if there was a way to turn on a program layer and have the arrow keys be something else.

Before I bought the HHKB Pro 2, I thought I would probably want to move the location of the arrow keys, but after trying it for only a few minutes, I found that I liked the default location, and I preferred the diamond cursor to the inverted-T. However, if you want to move the location of the arrow keys, I think, although I am not sure, that it might be possible using third-party software, such as AutoHotkey for Windows or KeyReMap4MacBook for the Mac.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 17:23:57 »
Regarding arrow (cursor) keys, I have now had an opportunity to do more testing with the HHKB Pro 2 and KeyReMap4MacBook software for the Mac. Using the DIP switches on the keyboard, I can remap the left Command (Diamond) key to an extra Fn key, so that I can control the cursor diamond from either the left or the right. Moreover, using the software, I have 14 built-in choices for arrow (cursor) keys, including choices of modifiers and WASD, EXSD, RVDF, ESDF, and IJKL. I could write even more custom choices by modifying the XML configuration file.

Although I rather like Control_L+IKJL, I have mostly been using the default Fn+[/;'. After using the HHKB Pro 2 for only a few days, I now prefer it over the Leopold FC660C and even my IBM SSK. This surprised me, because I thought I would have had trouble adjusting to the differences in layout and the absence of dedicated arrow keys, but the HHKB Pro 2 is amazingly intuitive. Its styling, minimalism, feel, sound, and efficiency combine to make this keyboard a joy to use.

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 17:48:38 »
Regarding arrow (cursor) keys, I have now had an opportunity to do more testing with the HHKB Pro 2 and KeyReMap4MacBook software for the Mac. Using the DIP switches on the keyboard, I can remap the left Command (Diamond) key to an extra Fn key, so that I can control the cursor diamond from either the left or the right. Moreover, using the software, I have 14 built-in choices for arrow (cursor) keys, including choices of modifiers and WASD, EXSD, RVDF, ESDF, and IJKL. I could write even more custom choices by modifying the XML configuration file.

Although I rather like Control_L+IKJL, I have mostly been using the default Fn+[/;'. After using the HHKB Pro 2 for only a few days, I now prefer it over the Leopold FC660C and even my IBM SSK. This surprised me, because I thought I would have had trouble adjusting to the differences in layout and the absence of dedicated arrow keys, but the HHKB Pro 2 is amazingly intuitive. Its styling, minimalism, feel, sound, and efficiency combine to make this keyboard a joy to use.

What fingers do you use for the Fn+[/; arrows?  Pinky on the FN key and then just your index finger on the arrows?

The reason I think I'd have difficulty adjusting is that I am very used to using 3 fingers (index, middle and ring) in the inverted-T layout.  And I use the arrow keys a lot when editing documents.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:03:16 »

What fingers do you use for the Fn+[/; arrows?  Pinky on the FN key and then just your index finger on the arrows?

The reason I think I'd have difficulty adjusting is that I am very used to using 3 fingers (index, middle and ring) in the inverted-T layout.  And I use the arrow keys a lot when editing documents.
When I use the default right-Fn, I use the pinky for Fn and index and middle fingers for the arrows. However, using the add-on software for the Mac, I have several choices for an inverted-T, for which I would use three fingers as you described. I have not yet had a chance to look into Windows-based software for remapping keys.

Offline irendulic

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 00:28:39 »
Sorry to bring out such an old topic, I think it's better to ask here than to open a new topic..

I've recently bought the FC660M, and I must say I absolutely love the keycaps on it. That isn't standard profile, no way to purchase a backup set somewhere?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 02:45:01 »
Sorry to bring out such an old topic, I think it's better to ask here than to open a new topic..

I've recently bought the FC660M, and I must say I absolutely love the keycaps on it. That isn't standard profile, no way to purchase a backup set somewhere?

Two things; the FC660M and FC660C are totally different. The M-version is mechanical, while the C-version is capacitative (Topre), which use different keycaps than MX and are generally rather difficult to find. Your FC660M probably uses OEM profile caps, and it doesn't matter which profile they are, you can still replace them with anything else you'd like.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline irendulic

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 13:57:07 »
I know they are different, but in this thread both have been discussed. In the opening post author comments on both m and c keycaps.

I think you misunderstood. I know I can put any cherry keycaps, but I'm looking for ones that are the same (or closest to) the original ones. I like they flatness and low-profileness :)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 00:45:11 »
Not that I'm aware of, but I agree that the stock keycap profiles are fantastic. :)

Offline tbc

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:36:10 »
the g80-3000 and persumable the 3850 have EXTREMELY low keycaps.

I'm a super fan of the 'chiclet' with mechanicals underneath concept and those keycaps are going to be as close as you get.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 19:21:52 »
necro bump yay. so just got my FC660C and seem a bit sad there doesn't seem to be any option for the modifiers on it in terms of keycaps, is this still the case or am i not looking correctly? i seem to have found an artisan that may have done some at some point, does anyone know if there are any other artisans out there who will do a commision job for just some modifiers? can get blank sets of other topre boards that will work on this but modifiers seem the biggest pain.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 19:26:30 »
necro bump yay. so just got my FC660C and seem a bit sad there doesn't seem to be any option for the modifiers on it in terms of keycaps, is this still the case or am i not looking correctly? i seem to have found an artisan that may have done some at some point, does anyone know if there are any other artisans out there who will do a commision job for just some modifiers? can get blank sets of other topre boards that will work on this but modifiers seem the biggest pain.

Yup you're correct. There's nothing out there that will fit those bottom row modifiers.

I fit the whole Realforce keys on my 660C, including the right shift, but my bottom row stays stock.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:29:19 »
Might have to try and source some mx converter things lol